Chops/Portofino's ordering protocol

debt

not sure what the official rule is but once dh and i ordered an extra dessert (so we had 3 bewteen us altogether). the servings seem bigger to me than in the main dining room so it may be very difficult to eat more than 1 thing from each category.

You can order what you wish, but portions are HUGE! If you can eat more than 1 of each catagory, I'd love to see that! Portions are about 4 times the size that a human SHOULD eat!

I love a challange! I'll post photos from the med center just before they pump my tummy.

Looking at the menu for Chops, I can see myself making a meal of the appitizers alone. :D

We ate in Chops 2 times during our May 30-June 6 cruise. The first time I ordered the Ceasar Salad for my first course and just about died - the salad could have fed about 4-5 people. The next time I went back I asked for the salad again (loved it) and asked for it to be 1/4 of the normal portion - I still got a big salad. The vegetables could serve 2-3 people - DH and I would order a different vegetable and share - we still had some leftover. Enjoy!

You can order as many appetizers, soups, salads, etc as you like. I believe the only rule they have is one entree.

At Portofino you can order a small portion of the pasta dishes. The regular portion is huge but the small portion makes a nice appetizer.

Chops serves all of their side dishes "family style," so if only one of you wants the green beans, you'll still get enough for the table. I do find the appetizers to be too large, too. I've sometimes asked them to take the bread basket away (after DH gets what he wants) so I don't mindlessly chew on that while waiting for the 'real' food to arrive.

I did not find the portions at Portofino to be huge, but a salad, appetizer and entree are all that I can ever manage unless we share a dessert (and we keep the bread basket there:) ). We don't even bring the desserts back to our cabin (we did that once and they sat in the fridge for the remainder of the cruise, so that was a waste).

And I should add that I'm not a small eater, either.:o

We don't even bring the desserts back to our cabin (we did that once and they sat in the fridge for the remainder of the cruise, so that was a waste).

.:o

Dont feel bad...I read on these boards once, someone asked for a doggy bag for the food!!:eek: As if there wasnt enough food elsewhere..:p :p

All I remember it turned into a challenge to get to dessert in Portofinos, but the Tiramisu is a work of art! The portions are so filling. Chops is the same, believe it or not I have to order a small(ish) steak otherwise I won't make dessert and I love my desserts! We spent about $85 for two of us in each venue when last on FOS in 2006 (that includes the $50 cover charge for the 2 of us) but worth every penny IMHO.

Dont feel bad...I read on these boards once, someone asked for a doggy bag for the food!!:eek: As if there wasnt enough food elsewhere..:p :p

Hey Kathy.........gotta get that $25 worth:p

You can order as many appetizers, soups, salads, etc as you like. I believe the only rule they have is one entree.

At Portofino you can order a small portion of the pasta dishes. The regular portion is huge but the small portion makes a nice appetizer.

They let you have more than 1 entree if you like. I have had the skewer of seafood and the steak before.

We tried Chops for the first time last month on our Med cruise on NOS. The food was good, in our opinion nothing over the top, about the same good/great quality of the dining room. The portions were indeed huge though! I ordered multiple appetizers, entrees and deserts. I ate all of my appetizers but for the entrees (T-Bone and the Lamb) I tried a bit from each, but could not even come close to finishing either. And I'm a big eater! For desert we ordered every desert (there were about 3 or 4 total if I recall). The deserts we did finish almost completely.

Only negative issue was the service that night was HORRIBLE!!!! The service definitely made me feel like I had wasted a good $50 for the two of us. Since we were the early birds that night, Chops was pretty empty. There were maybe 5 or 6 couples at most. However, right after we ordered one of the ship's officers (not the Captain) and a female guest entered Chops and were seated in a huge booth in the back of the room. Thereafter the service got horrible as the Chops staff seemed to ignore the other couples and literally spent the entire time catering hand and foot to the officer. A megaphone would have come in handy that night to get the staffs' attention. Every time we needed something, the waiters were over at the officer's tabling chatting. When we finished our entrees, I asked our waiter nicely if she could please clear our table yet she refused. She said she was busy and she'd do it after. She of course rushed back to the officer's table to chat away. Not the type of service we were expecting.

I can't say I would generally recommend Chops after the service issue, but you do get your money's worth in food. And the views out to the Med coastline from the Chops windows were breathtaking. We mainly chose Chops that specific night for that reason.

I'm tempted to try Portofinos on our next cruise. Not sure if I would do Chops again.

Our experience is that food and service in these 2 restaurants is way beyond comparison to the DR food in quality, quantity and level of service.

Superior in every way.

We eat there at least once every cruise. We have never ordered extras ourselves, but are WAY too full (:) or maybe we would)

Archived