Airline seats question

shorton

We have booked our air through Regent for our Sept. 26 sailing on PG. The four of us got our air itinerary this week and Regent put us four across instead of two and two for both legs on TN. TA tried to switch us to 2 and 2 but was told nothing could be done until we check in with airline. Anybody have experience with this? No huge crisis, but just seems like 2 and 2 would be more comfortable. Thanks!

Shorton,

We are just back from the Voyager and used Regent air. Two were booked in 23AB, two more were in 30FG and mom (88 yo) and I were in 31 FG. I see no rhyme or nor reason to their booking, but the row 30 and 31 did have the same last name. Coming home we were all over the plane. At least you all are close by.

I would call ATN and see what they can do.

We are in a similiar situation on a 9/1 flight. I called ATN and was told that they hold back 25 seats and on the day of departure you can try to get your seats switched. So your best bet is showing up early for check in and asking for the two seat configuration.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

I didn't like the seats we were assigned, and I just went into the airline's web page and picked different seats. For the Air Tahiti Nui flights, I called their 800 number and they gave us different seats.

I didn't like the seats we were assigned, and I just went into the airline's web page and picked different seats. For the Air Tahiti Nui flights, I called their 800 number and they gave us different seats.

Just call ATN's US 800 number, and they will fix this for you. They can do it ahead of time. You do NOT have to wait until at the airport.

Although I've never flown with ATN, that has also been my experience with other air tickets purchased through cruise lines. The only problem I have encountered is that although the cruise line is able to give you the itinerary fairly early, the actual reservations will not be accessable in the airline's computer system until the tickets have been purchased by the cruise line. I've never had a problem in selecting or changing seats on line or by phone once the reservation is in system. Ask your TA for the airline's, not the cruise line's, locator code for your reservation. It will make it much easier to find the reservation in the system.

At this point you should also be able to enter your frequent flyer number in the system.

My understanding is that RSSC doesn't provide air schedules until 75 days prior to sailing IF you are taking advantage of their "free air" deals.

On the other hand, if you are paying for your airfare but still doing it through RSSC, then you can get your air schedule much, much sooner.

I spoke to an air concierge directly about our "free air" deal we have on our upcoming Mediterranean cruise and this is what I was told. If we had wanted to secure flights and seats immediately, we can do so for a charge of $100 per person.

We have booked our air through Regent for our Sept. 26 sailing on PG. The four of us got our air itinerary this week and Regent put us four across instead of two and two for both legs on TN. TA tried to switch us to 2 and 2 but was told nothing could be done until we check in with airline. Anybody have experience with this? No huge crisis, but just seems like 2 and 2 would be more comfortable. Thanks!

Virtually every airline will allow only X% of seats to be assigned in advance in order to allow flexibilty for airport check in. Once this percentage has been reached they will not give you a seat assignment for any reason. If your TA was not able to get the seats switched, I suspect this is the reason for it and calling the airline directly likely won't change that.

If you run into this situation in or to-from the USA, and are in any way limited in mobility or have any disability - not necessarily serious - notify the airline of your "disability" and they will accommodate you. The legal reference is the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 (49 U.S.C. 41705) and the implementing regulations are 14 CFR Part 382. Both are available on the web. You must notify the airline (a phone call is OK) at least 24 hours before your flight is scheduled to depart.

Thanks, all. I think we've decided to stick with the "four across" format which will allow the four of us to visit more easily. One other related question. Our air itinerary has us on Alaska, ATN and United. Do I call each airline individually to add FF numbers? (I think American is a partner with ATN). I don't have any confirmation codes, but figure airlines should be able to find us.

And I did receive the air itinerary from my TA.

Can't believe Tahiti is less than three months away!

You can get American miles on Alaska and ATN. You will have to call ATN and Alaska individually to add those on, but it is worth doing as it is a whole lot of miles.

When I called ATN to assign seats, they told me I could NOT earn American Advantage miles, due to the special fare RSSC gets through them. However, they told me you can earn miles for ATN's frequent flier program.

When I called ATN to assign seats, they told me I could NOT earn American Advantage miles, due to the special fare RSSC gets through them. However, they told me you can earn miles for ATN's frequent flier program.

Well, that stinks. Just another reason I always do my own air arrangements.

In our case we were given AA mileage credit - this past New Year's we booked our air through Regent, flew on ATN and received AA mileage, including the business class bonus miles. We had phoned in our AA numbers to Air Tahiti prior to the trip. Maybe something has changed since then, but I hope not!!!

I just looked on American Airlines' website to check on ATN mileage credit rules. InlandEmpire, perhaps you are booked in "L". With that many miles at stake, I would definitely double check that detail!

Economy Class (Y, M, K, H, T, L*) - 100%

Business Class (D, J) - 100% + 25% bonus

First Class (P) - 100% + 50% bonus

American Airlines and/or Air Tahiti Nui reserve the right to change the eligible fare classes at any time without notice.

* L inventory is not eligible for mileage accrual for flights taken on/after April 1, 2008.

Well we wound up with a mixed bag. I call Air Tahiti today, and we get credit for our return flight to LAX but not from LA to Tahiti. Looks like it will pay to call and ask.

BTW, I will renew my request when I get to LA to see if they will give us credit for both flights, but at least we'll get one.

We got our information on the flight assignment and fortunately it's the one I thought it was going to be. Don't have the seat assignment yet. At least we're going. 47 days, but who's counting?

Archived