expenses everywhere !!!

i am wondering if the luggage fees set by the airlines and any other fees as well as the sky rocketing price of gas these days is changing the amount you tip as far as cutting the prepaid tips or the " above and beyond "tips that you may give. a better word would be adjusting the prepaid tips ( not cutting ). this is just pure curiosity. i have not cruised since these new fees and such so i cannot say for myself as of yet .

On my last cruise, I didn't change the tips, and I don't think I would. No matter how high the fuel surcharge or anything else goes, I always figure out the tips ahead of time and factor them into the price of my cruise.

i am wondering if the luggage fees set by the airlines and any other fees as well as the sky rocketing price of gas these days is changing the amount you tip as far as cutting the prepaid tips or the " above and beyond "tips that you may give. a better word would be adjusting the prepaid tips ( not cutting ). this is just pure curiosity. i have not cruised since these new fees and such so i cannot say for myself as of yet .

When DH & I drive to a restaurant we are burning more $$ in gas to get to our destination but we don't change our tipping policy due to higher fuel charges. We still tip for services rendered.

Why should it be any different on a cruise ship?

I see where you are going with this thread but I have to agree with Firefly, if you can't afford the expected expense of a cruise, stay home. It's not the fault of the waiters/stewards and other staff on the ship that fuel prices have sky rocketed.

Dianne

PS: and anyone who decides to adjust their tips down to recoup extra fuel charges from ship crew that have nothing to do with the increased cost of fuel is a real scum bag IMHO.

If those of us who can afford to cruise are feeling the economic pinch, just imagine what it must be like for those who depend on tips for a living. IMO cutting tips is just not ethical. Cut back with less luggage, not eating in premium restaurants, booking fewer excursions, drinking less. stc but do not penalize those who serve us due to circumstances they do not control.

When DH & I drive to a restaurant we are burning more $$ in gas to get to our destination but we don't change our tipping policy due to higher fuel charges. We still tip for services rendered.

Why should it be any different on a cruise ship?

I see where you are going with this thread but I have to agree with Firefly, if you can't afford the expected expense of a cruise, stay home. It's not the fault of the waiters/stewards and other staff on the ship that fuel prices have sky rocketed.

Dianne

PS: and anyone who decides to adjust their tips down to recoup extra fuel charges from ship crew that have nothing to do with the increased cost of fuel is a real scum bag IMHO.

for the most part i am talking about the above and beyond tipping as i used to just hand out a few bucks here and there around the ship when i see someone working hard. as far as the pre paid tips i would hope most if not all would leave those in place unless you have a good reason.

Id stay home if I couldnt come up with the customary tips.

If you cant afford to travel and are so pressed for money stay home and dont take it out of someone else's pocket.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo.

If I usually give extra to certain crew members, I won't let gas prices change that. They still work just as hard, no matter what the cost of gas, so they will still get something extra from me.

Even if I only give certain crew members $20 extra...it at least lets them know that I appreciated everything they did during my cruise. Cruise ship crew members are some of the hardest working people I've ever come across.

If you can afford to go on a cruise, you can afford to give the proper tip to the employees who make the cruise so wonderful. Cut back some other way.

I agree.

The extra ``above and beyond'' tip should not be affected by the rise in fuel costs. The employees on the ship can't do anything about the extra fuel charges so why punish them by not tipping less?

If you really want to punish someone about the rising fuel surchages, write to your Congressman and ask them about fuel speculation.

Price of a gallon of gas at the corner gas station near our house was $3.89 a gallon on Thusday nite at midnight. Price had gone up to $4.09 a gallon at 8 a.m. the next morning and stayed at that price until last night about 6 p.m. when it went down to $3.99. The gas station had not had a new delivery of gas since Thursday morning.

OK, I'm through venting but it felt good to get that off my chest.:D

Dianne

Hi,

perhaps many do not realize ......... but the "value of the tips" has been cut for most ( if not all) of the crew already.

The way it was always working before and still does: the crew gets paid in US dollars ........ but what is the dollar worth now in their currency ?

How many people from Europe do 'you' see working in the 'service' jobs on a cruise ships ?

Not so long ago ( when I was paying / tipping the same amount as required / suggested now) the US dollar was about equal to one Euro , .......what is the exchange now 1.6 US dol to a one Euro ? ,

not long ago I have seen many people from Poland working as waiters, stewards ...... not any more ....... at that time they got 4 "zloty" ( name of their currency) for one US dol, ...... now it is only 2.15 "zloty" and the prices just about of everything went up everywhere.

Almost all of the 'nationalities' of crew can feel the 'pain' in the small value of the US dollar.

Wes

Yes, I tip more. The cost of living has increased a greater percentage for the lower paid than for the upper and middle classes - this is especially true for many "third world" countries.

Paul

these are the responses i was hoping for, usually there is a small handful that would chime in and use something like this as an excuse to save a buck. thank you .

Whew!!!! You had us all worried there for a moment.

Glad to hear you weren't going to short change the staff. They have nothing to do with the recent skyrocketing market prices.

I can't imagine you would cut tips because the airline charges you more. There's a big disconnect going on for me.

What in the world did the dining steward (for example) do to you that you should cut his tip?

I'm speechless. It wouldn't occur to us to stiff the staff because our flights cost us more.

Wow!!!!

I discover something new here everyday. Some things I'd rather never discover! I think that's awful.

As a cosmetologist in Denver, my DD rely's on tips for about 25% of her income. As prices rise, she's seen a definite drop in her tip amount. I won't stiff a person on a tip unless they give me REALLY bad service - then it is a reduced tip and a note to the management.

And that happens very rarely.

As a cosmetologist in Denver, my DD rely's on tips for about 25% of her income. As prices rise, she's seen a definite drop in her tip amount. I won't stiff a person on a tip unless they give me REALLY bad service - then it is a reduced tip and a note to the management.

And that happens very rarely.

To reduce a tip because of bad service is appropriate.

To withhold a tip or reduce it because your airfare to reach the ship was more costly :( is a whole different thing. IMO

The only place I see where tips would be less would be for skycaps & luggage porters at the pier, since I'm taking less luggage :D:D:D. As others have said, the tips on board are part of the cost of cruising. I may shop less (:eek:) but tips are just a part of traveling.

Along the same lines, if your favorite restaurant raises their prices as supply costs go up, would you tip your server less??? Same thing.

I would hope people would be making the decision to vacation based on whether they can afford the increased costs and not based on robbing "Peter to pay Paul"...... especially when "Peter" is the crew that will be waiting on them.

If someone has to stiff the "help" to go.... then they should stay home. ;)

Archived