Suggestions for improving the "final morning"

Peggy Sue

Well, we're sure getting excited around here thinking about our upcoming cruise..we are dreaming about boarding the Volendam and the joy we feel as the ship departs fort lauderdale and heads out to sea for another wonderful adventure...

Which brings me to the topic for this post...I really dislike the last morning of the cruise. Getting up at such an early hour...waiting, waiting, waiting, flying and then getting home exhausted. Just read a couple of posts from RevNeal that he was home, happy, but exhausted...so it got me to thinking about our last morning on board...

Any suggestions for improving the final morning on board? I thought I'd read where HAL doesn't require you to vacate your stateroom as they have in the past...is this true?? It would be much nicer to remain in our suite until the ship was cleared and we could depart for the airport.

What tips can you all share with us to make this last morning on board an enjoyable experience..that doesn't find one arriving home exhausted...

Thanks!!

Peggy Sue

We were allowed to remain in our S Suite on Zuiderdam this past July. Our cabin steward did come in and start some clean up but never made us feel we should leave. The last morning is never pleasant since it is always sad to leave such a special trip. I think a back to back would help us to get past one departure day with a smile on our face!!!!!

Not much you can do about the exhausting travel day unless you move your home right next to the port:rolleyes: ! We try to stay in our stateroom as long as it is possible to do so. I don't want to get the room steward behind in his work so if it appears he needs to get in there, we just leave.

It is also the saddest day but I always try to have another cruise planned and start looking forward to that which helps with the PCD...

I don't see how the last day can be anything but a bummer! ;) Having to leave the ship is never fun. We weren't rushed out of our cabin on our recent cruise. We did leave and go to the Queen's Lounge where the wait wasn't very long. For us, coming home from Athens was the real challenge. We were rested at the end of the cruise and stayed one night post-cruise in Greece; but there's simply no way to traverse 10 time zones in one day and not be beaten when you get home. It's just the nature of the beast. A few days, though, and things are okay.

Several cruises ago I discovered the joys of room service breakfast on the last morning. It's so much nicer to dress, then be able to pack those last-minute things while having a leisurely breakfast. Taking a break for another cup of coffee helps keep the stress level down.

On my last cruise I was allowed to stay in my cabin (an inside), and I did for quite a while, but found I was happier waiting up by the Lido pool. It was nice to have the view and the fresh air while waiting. And I was just as comfortable as I would have been in the cabin.

We were allowed to stay in our SS cabin on the Oosterdam in March. We had an early flight so we were in the 3rd group so we weren't in the room all that long. Our steward came in and asked if we minded if he started on the room. It actually was nice to chat with him as he replaced the sheets, etc. In fact, it was the most we'd talked to him over the whole 7 days. Waiting in the room, particularly since we had a balcony, was very nice. My wife and I talked about the ports, people, and the cruise. It was good closure for us and fairly relaxing considering we were about to start the "mad dash" home.

On my last cruise I was allowed to stay in my cabin (an inside), and I did for quite a while, but found I was happier waiting up by the Lido pool. It was nice to have the view and the fresh air while waiting. And I was just as comfortable as I would have been in the cabin.

RuthC .... Glad to see your post! For us "When it's over, it's over!"

We try to make the "LAST" a happy time by being with others we've met on the cruise! Like RuthC, the pool area is our favorite for an informal "departure party"! Won't waste that last morning on the ship feeling sad!!!!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

On our last cruise on the Oosterdam we too were allowed to stay in our cabin till our number was called. This was so nice, we got up and went to the Lido for breakfest then came back to our room and relaxed. I really like this new way of debarkation.

We have found that if we stay the final night of the cruise in a hotel and fly out the next day that reentering the real world is not a difficult. We just spend a leisure day at the hotel pool or beach. Sometimes we will go shopping or just walk the area. It also means that you do not have to deal with the crowds at the airport on the final day of the cruise. We have found the next day to be much less stressful. I do agree with the poster that said that having another cruise booked before the end of your cruise helps to soften the blow.

I too, was allowed to stay in our suite "as long as we wanted". We were in a penthouse suite on the Oosterdam in May and we were able to disembark first off the ship if we wanted. Needless to say, we waited until the last moment to leave. We ordered breakfast in our room which didn't arrive until after 10:00AM, I thought they would have the breakfast there by 8:00 to shoo us out of the suite early. We were never rushed to vacate the suite to the point that I even had to ask when we should leave. It was a tearful moment nonetheless.

The Zaandam didn't dock until 8:45 am Saturday morning. Not sure why we were late ... we were supposed to dock at about 7:30 am.

The Coast Guard came aboard and ran the crew through fire and evacuation drills. From 9 until about 10 am the alarms and drills continued. The Captain came on the public address system to keep us updated on what was going on while crew were going every-wich-a-way.

Meanwhile, all us passengers were kept waiting while the cruise staff and the customs officials tried to find the Andersons. The Andersons were the ONLY non-US Citizens to not show up in the Half-Moon Room for their Customs interview. Yes, my friends, one couple -- the Andersons -- delayed the beginning of disembarkation an HOUR AND A HALF ... they didn't begin calling letters and numbers until 10:30 am. A whole bunch of people missed their flights. We had a 5 pm flight, and so there was no danger of us being late ... but sever people we knew either didn't make their flights, or if they did it was by the skin of their teeth.

Thanks for that, Greg. It just lends that much more warning to those who wonder if they can make a 10:30 or 11:00 flight to go home. Simply too risky, IMO. As you noted, it just takes one person/couple to significantly delay the entire ship.

I like the way that Carnival is doing the last morning now with the self assisted luggage. We sailed on the Glory this year and getting off that huge ship was a breeze. They start allowing you to eat breakfast or order room service at 6am. Then you can exit the ship immediately after it clears customs. You have your luggage in your room so you just go down the elevator and off the ship. We were already out of the port and on I95 by 7:50am.:)

Meanwhile, all us passengers were kept waiting while the cruise staff and the customs officials tried to find the Andersons. The Andersons were the ONLY non-US Citizens to not show up in the Half-Moon Room for their Customs interview. Yes, my friends, one couple -- the Andersons -- delayed the beginning of disembarkation an HOUR AND A HALF ... they didn't begin calling letters and numbers until 10:30 am. A whole bunch of people missed their flights. We had a 5 pm flight, and so there was no danger of us being late ... but sever people we knew either didn't make their flights, or if they did it was by the skin of their teeth.

Grrr! I think we sailed with the Andersons once too! :D

Our biggest problem last April on the Maasdam was the failiure to show up for immigration. The itinerary change caused confusion regarding the need to show up - people were being paged left and right, delaying custom clearance and shortening time in port.

The best solution I found so far was to end the cruise in a new and exciting port, head off to explore the sights, and stay an extra night in a 5-star hotel before starting the endless and horrible journey home.

We did exactly that when we ended our Prinsendam cruise in Athens on Oct. 3. With the Hannahs, we took off with a private guide to see the Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, etc. No luggage worries, as it had been sent ahead on the truck to the hotel. It felt like just another shore excursion. The sadness of having to leave the ship was tempered by the excitement of walking where Socrates walked. We ended the day having cocktails on the roof of the Athens Hilton, watching the sun set over the Acropolis and the lights come on. :)

The next day and half, which involved 3 flights, a missed connection and an "overnight" stay until 4 am in New York, was perfectly horrid -- but we won't talk about that because that's not what the question was.

The second best solution is to eliminate the miseries of air travel and leave and return from a port close enough to drive to. San Diego does that for us. A short walk across the street to the car, and we're on the scenic open road through the mountains and desert in less than an hour.

The biggest thing I like about leaving the ship late is that there are fewer people wandering about aimlessly and fewer pieces of luggage to sift through - so it isnt nearly as chaotic making it through immigration, etc.

What bugs me is that in Seattle, there weren't porters to help you w/ your luggage until after you make it through immigration - by that time, you're nearly already out to the taxi's...

(Can you tell I don't pack light for cruising?)

For the Caribbean, we were able to go through immigration the day prior in Key West - so disembarcation in Ft Lauderdale was much smoother. A porter found us and he commandeered a taxi from some early-arriving passengers so we never had to wait in line! (it pays to tip well!)

Find an excuse to look at one of the vacated verandah cabins just above the tenders. Lift up the cover and get in. (Note: you'll need to bring all your luggage with you!). Around 3:00 or so you can climb out, then head for the Lido (take all your meals in the Lido from then on). Nap in the lounges during the day. In the wee hours, sneak back into the tender, get a change of clothes and head for a public rest room to wash, shave and dress.

This won't work on the Vista class ships, since they have no public laundry facilities. Otherwise, you could do back-to-back-to-back cruises (switch tenders occasionally) ad infinitum!

:rolleyes: -dave

Disclaimer: nothing in this message may be construed as encouraging illegal behavior on anyone's part. Stowing away is done at your own risk. Your milage may vary. Offer not valid in Nebraska.

Disclaimer: nothing in this message may be construed as encouraging illegal behavior on anyone's part. Stowing away is done at your own risk. Your milage may vary. Offer not valid in Nebraska.

Love the disclaimer, Dave! As if I could read it!:D I was on my way back to the forum and I saw this teeny tiny print. Came back, got my magnifying glass and started ROTFL.

I think maybe we should all add our own forms of disclaimer to our signature. Could solve oodles of little problems;)

Good thing you included the fine print, Dave. :rolleyes:

I just saw the other thread mentioning a 25% discount on Amtrak for going to/from a cruise. What a fabulous idea to end an Alaska cruise, or anything that ends in Seattle! Take the Coast Starlight down to L.A. -- you will be in for a fabulous scenic treat of 2 days and one night, past volcanoes (Mt. St. Helens for one), through mountains, past rocket launchers (Vanderbilt AFB), and along miles of gorgeous beaches. (Keep the plans at the southern end flexible -- Amtrak is notoriously late.) You can even transfer trains to keep going to San Diego, where you can walk a block or so to catch the next cruise. Train stations are so much nicer than airports . . . .

Cactuslady, if you're referring to the home of the 30th Space Wing, that would be Vandenberg AFB. The California desert is quite a fer piece from Nashville, Tennessee ... the home of Vanderbilt University and its top-notch law school. ;)

In 2003, we were on a 10 day cruise. After 10 days, we were ready to go home.

After our Alaksa cruise, we spent two days in Seattle. Did not experience any post cruise depression.

However, there is no way to avoid the debarkation process. We used to let it upset us, but now we just talk about our next cruise which we always have booked before we leave on any cruise.

Well why not just do a back to back hehehehe then you dont have to get off after the first week hehehehe.
And when it's the first month? After 34 days it's time to get off. :D

Some of us cruise for longer than a week on a routine basis. ;)

Archived