Invitation to the Captains Table

We were asked a few years ago on the Navigator but there was no reason why or how we were asked. I think someone cancelled at the last minute and they asked my wife and myself if we wouldn't mind. It was lots of fun and the free wine was nice also.

We were told we were chosen in June because we were celebrating an anniversary that week. Of the four couples at the table, two were honeymooners, one was celebrating five years, and we were celebrating two.

But from what I read here, it really just is random. Each Captain does it differently.

It really was a memorable experience.

Not sure how or why, but four of us on the Explorer were asked to dine at the Captains table. It was our anniversary that week but I think it had more to do with the Maitre D, we had some great conversations with him at the start of the week and he could have put in a good word.

If I could do it again I would, its a wonderful experience, and interesting to be eating with everyone watching you!

Not sure how or why, but four of us on the Explorer were asked to dine at the Captains table. It was our anniversary that week but I think it had more to do with the Maitre D, we had some great conversations with him at the start of the week and he could have put in a good word.

If I could do it again I would, its a wonderful experience, and interesting to be eating with everyone watching you!

Maybe like the Upgrade Fairy perhaps there is an Invitation Fairy.

We did a B2B to Hawaii a few years ago and got to know the Cruise Director and the hostess (the CDs wife when they still had hostesses) during the first leg. We were invited to the Captains Table the 2nd leg and are sure it was because of the CD and his wife.

On another ship a couple years ago, we mentioned to the Captain we had been on a cruise through the Panama Canal with him on the Song of Norway in 93. He took out a pad and asked us our cabin number. The next night he came in the Concierge Lounge and chatted with us for about 30 minutes. We got the invitation to the Captains Table the next day.

Would anybody here turn down an invitation to dine with the captain?

Not unless they're fibbing...:D

We were invited last year on the Navigator, because we met and corresponded with the Captain's wife here on CC. They were very gracious hosts and made everyone feel at home (in their home).

LL

I'm leaving in a few days for my first cruise. We are going on the VisionOS and I am going to try every compliment I can, bat as many eyelashes as I can, bump some elbows, and hopefully figure out some names to drop, etc... to try and get an invite!!! Wish me Luck!

We did once............it was on the Sovereign and it was the one time we did not bring any formal clothes(it was gonna be a very casual trip).....so since we did not have the appropriate clothes, we turned it down.

We have been lucky enough to be invited several other times though......

We were invited to sit with the Captain on Splendour during the Brazil Carnival cruise. We were called by the maitre d' early in the morning and invited for that evening. We declined because we were travelling with another couple that was not invited. Rather than abandon our friends we passed. The vast majority of the people on our cruise did not speak English so that may have been another reason why we were selected.

First time, it was my 50th birthday, my husband ask everyone, the purser, the dining room manager, and Loyality ambassodor, both formal nights on the Vision of the Seas came and went no invite. Last night of the cruise we were ask to sit at the Staff Captain's table and we did, it was wonderful.

Second time we were on the Navigator and we were talking with the Captain's wife and the next day we had an invite.

Last time also on the Navigator the concierge asked us if we wished to dine with the Captain and we did.

Well, on our last Voyager cruise, DD had a high school friend on board. Was his first cruise with his 2 brothers and father and step mom. The parents wrote a snail mail letter to Royal just stating it was the 3 boys first cruise and they would all like to experience having dinner with the Captain. They received an invitation when they arrived on board. The boys were very bored, I think it is better suited for adults as it tends to run longer than most DR dinners. (they were 16,14/13 yrs old)

I have heard the same in the past from others, write a letter, it surely cant hurt and you might be pleasantly surprised.

We've declined all such invitations. Nothing against the Captains - they're probably nice people. But, we're just not into it.

Sometimes the crew seems flabbergasted that someone would decline an invitation to dine with the Captain. The way we see it, it simply gives someone else the opportunity to do something they'd value. So, it's a win-win situation. If people would enjoy it, they should do it.

Hunter & Nori

We happened to run into Capt. Per on deck the day of our turn around on Mariner...We were watching the people debark and he started chatting with us and then took out his pad and pen and asked if we were early or late dining and if we would like to dine with him on the 2nd formal night...Of course we said Yes...We had a great time...Later, Jill:cool:

Archived