Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

In a time and land long time ago (maybe 60 years ago), people walked this earth wearing jeans that were new, not prewashed, not pre-faded, not pre-holey and fit fine. These people were mostly lightly to be farmers, cowboys, cowgirls or even NASCAR drivers. These jeans costs $3-$5 per pair. These jeans were not prewashed but washed by it's owner. These jeans were not bought faded but faded naturally. These jeans had no holes unless caught in a barb wire fence or farming equipment.

Then someone came along in the late 50's and 60's and got the idea to create a pair of jeans that could be worn by all, that looked good, could be worn anywhere and costs much more. They needed a catchy name for these jeans. Someone told me how the jeans were named.

A person was trying to put on these prewashed, faded, holey and tight jeans. Once the tight jeans were finally pulled up just below the waist the person bent over and the tight jeans split right up the behind. A person shouted. "Jordache is showing"

THE REST IS HISTORY !

I agree with Rev Neal's opinion on this subject.

In a time and land long time ago (maybe 60 years ago), people walked this earth wearing jeans that were new, not prewashed, not pre-faded, not pre-holey and fit fine. These people were mostly lightly to be farmers, cowboys, cowgirls or even NASCAR drivers. These jeans costs $3-$5 per pair. These jeans were not prewashed but washed by it's owner. These jeans were not bought faded but faded naturally. These jeans had no holes unless caught in a barb wire fence or farming equipment.

Then someone came along in the late 50's and 60's and got the idea to create a pair of jeans that could be worn by all, that looked good, could be worn anywhere and costs much more. They needed a catchy name for these jeans. Someone told me how the jeans were named.

A person was trying to put on these prewashed, faded, holey and tight jeans. Once the tight jeans were finally pulled up just below the waist the person bent over and the tight jeans split right up the behind. A person shouted. "Jordache is showing"

THE REST IS HISTORY !

Let me guess , the person that shouted those fateful words was none other than Gloria Vanderbilt :) :) :)

THE REST IS HISTORY !

sorry double post

If it is to much trouble to wear slacks or dockers then go to the buffet.

Thank you, but we will wear what we please. The strident minority of "fashion police" simply do not have the power to compel, coerce, or mandate the clothing style choices of adults.

We understand that there are many who wail, gnash their teeth, and complain bitterly about their inability to dictate to others. Well, they will just have to get over themselves.

Whoever posted the photos of the women in jeans is certainly in a dream world. If these were the jeans worn there would never be any discussion period.

It's the jeans that are worn all day on a fishing excursion,that end up in the dining room because the wearer of these jeans

"Couldn't Be Bothered" to change.

Dockers???????????????

Dockers are piled to the ceiling in Cosco with people rummaging through them.

Please don't confuse these pants with formal or semi- formal.

They're dockers! The guy driving a beer truck is wering them. The sales associate in Target is wearing them, they're not dressy pants.

Whoever posted the photos of the women in jeans is certainly in a dream world. If these were the jeans worn there would never be any discussion period.

It's the jeans that are worn all day on a fishing excursion,that end up in the dining room because the wearer of these jeans

"Couldn't Be Bothered" to change.

Dockers???????????????

Dockers are piled to the ceiling in Cosco with people rummaging through them.

Please don't confuse these pants with formal or semi- formal.

They're dockers! The guy driving a beer truck is wering them. The sales associate in Target is wearing them, they're not dressy pants.

Of course Dockers are not formal or semi-formal. I don't believe anyone said they are.

I think the posters who suggest wearing Dockers are suggesting them as a better/nicer/upscale choice than jeans for casual nights in the MDR. I'm inclined to agree with this. We wouldn't wear jeans to dinner in the MDR, but if it isn't against the rules, we wouldn't complain about others who do.

Whoever posted the photos of the women in jeans is certainly in a dream world.

If these were the jeans worn there would never be any discussion period.

If you're referring to me (you didn't quote me, so perhaps you're not) I can assure you that I am certainly not in a dream world, but wide awake, my friend. My female friends and I dress in a similar manner when we meet for dinner and/or drinks in Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia or Manhattan.

Ahhh, but there is a discussion despite the photos, isn't there?

To some, even if brand new dark wash jeans would be worn with Chanel, Harry Winston, Fendi and Jimmy Choo (or pick the designer of your choice) the thought of such pants in a dining room sends chills up CC members' spines.

The word "jeans" on these boards is a 4-letter word to many and should still be worn only on the back 40 even in 2011.

If you're referring to me (you didn't quote me, so perhaps you're not) I can assure you that I am certainly not in a dream world, but wide awake, my friend. My female friends and I dress in a similar manner when we meet for dinner and/or drinks in Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia or Manhattan.

Ahhh, but there is a discussion despite the photos, isn't there?

To some, even if brand new dark wash jeans would be worn with Chanel, Harry Winston, Fendi and Jimmy Choo (or pick the designer of your choice) the thought of such pants in a dining room sends chills up CC members' spines.

The word "jeans" on these boards is a 4-letter word to many and should still be worn only on the back 40 even in 2011.

And I'm sure you look great in jeans - and of course jeans in many forms are both appropriate and stylish in the most fashionable venues, from Paris to New York to London to Tokyo.

Some of the comments here regarding jeans only demonstrate how the 'fashion police' are both laughably pompous, simply out of touch, and waaaaaaaaaay behind the times.

Well Madelinerose- I bet you and your gal pals must really turn some heads dressed like the ladies in the picture,for they look great as I'm sure you do.

Cruising has gotten cheaper and really dumbed down in recent years.

The guy who never could afford to cruise, can now go for a whole week for $399

He hears "Jeans" and shows up in wranglers. His accessories to these jeans are suspenders and maybe some crocs that match them.

He thinks Jimmy Choo is the dog that chewed up his brand new Buster Brown shoes.

Well Madelinerose- I bet you and your gal pals must really turn some heads dressed like the ladies in the picture,for they look great as I'm sure you do.

We're well past the turning heads years, however, we all attempt to keep our wardrobes updated without being overly trendy to the point of looking ridiculous at our ages. ;)

Wow, a lot of answers to this question so I don't know if anyone will read all the way to the bottom. I am in my 30's and am about to go on my 4th cruise and first with HAL. I tend to look much better in jeans than pants. Jeans fit my body better and whether they are smart or not I look better in them...it's just how it is.

I work for a company in the tech industry and we wear jeans to work so I have lots of jeans. I think smart casual, and really anything you wear, depends on how you present yourself and carry yourself. A guy on the farm wearing jeans standing next to my Mom wearing jeans would not look the same. My Mom would have on heels and jewlery and her makeup and hair would look perfect and she'd have a little belt aroound here waist.

So, jeans may not be for everyone but I think that it's all in how you present yourself.

Wow, a lot of answers to this question so I don't know if anyone will read all the way to the bottom. I am in my 30's and am about to go on my 4th cruise and first with HAL. I tend to look much better in jeans than pants. Jeans fit my body better and whether they are smart or not I look better in them...it's just how it is.

I work for a company in the tech industry and we wear jeans to work so I have lots of jeans. I think smart casual, and really anything you wear, depends on how you present yourself and carry yourself. A guy on the farm wearing jeans standing next to my Mom wearing jeans would not look the same. My Mom would have on heels and jewlery and her makeup and hair would look perfect and she'd have a little belt aroound here waist.

So, jeans may not be for everyone but I think that it's all in how you present yourself.

Excellent post. And in practice, you will find *many* people on HAL wearing jeans, and they fit in with absolutely no problem.

Rebutting the folks who love to look down their noses at others and pressure others to conform to their 'standards' is necessary in order to let newcomers to HAL know that they are accepted and welcome, whatever they choose to wear - within reason, of course.

Can someone explain to me why anyone would pay $$$ to buy jeans that have holes put into them on purpose?:confused:

Are those people pretending to be hard working laborers? Or is this just the "grunge" look that some people mistake for fashion since some so called TV or movie star wears them? Some also go "commando" so perhaps we should as well?:eek:

Those of us who are fashion challenged should just spend some time looking at the tabloids at the supermarket checkout counter.:rolleyes:

Can someone explain to me why anyone would pay $$$ to buy jeans that have holes put into them on purpose?:confused:

Are those people pretending to be hard working laborers? Or is this just the "grunge" look that some people mistake for fashion since some so called TV or movie star wears them? Some also go "commando" so perhaps we should as well?:eek:

Those of us who are fashion challenged should just spend some time looking at the tabloids at the supermarket checkout counter.:rolleyes:

I'm guessing they buy those jeans because they are the "in" thing to buy?:rolleyes:

That is the issue with "jeans"..most pax think "dressy..designer"..others think "garden...farm"..and you get both kinds. Jeans are jeans are jeans...my favorite was the guy who had on jeans for dinner..one leg was regular length and one was cut off at shorts length.:rolleyes:

You just can't fix stupid.

Each generation wants to have its own look. They want to stand out and make their own fashion statement. It's been going on a long, long, long time. Also, the fashion designers help dictate what is "new" and the young and beautiful will always want to be wearing the latest fashion trend.

My formative years were spent growing up in the 60s and 70s. Wanna talk about fashion statements? :D

Having a DD who woirks in the fashion industry and follows a lot of trends and who's wearing what and what is the next big thing and so on.

I have asked her where some of these crazy ideas get started . She says you throw an idea out there and see where it lands . Some never get off the ground, some come and go, some become enduring classics . You just never know.

DD explained that not every fad or fashion is for everyone. Some people truly think wearing a certain outfit or hairstyle or makeup will make them look like the 20 year old size 0 model they see it on in a magazine or on TV. And very sadly that is not always the case .

come on now....how cute were we in those mini skirts ... and don't forget midi skirts with fashion boots...ahh the good old days.:D:D

Hey lets not go forgetting the 80s

Big hair , rabbit fur coats , black Gloria Vanderbilt jeans with high heels. :)

And here I thought you were dressed like that

*LOL*

NOOOOOOOO over the years between several girlfriends, 2 wives and 2 daughters . I have bought plenty of womens clothing and jewelry , but never felt compelled to try any of it on . :) :) :)

Archived