Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

This is an old thread brought forward.

I'd be really interested to compare what some of the posters said years ago in this thread vs what they might say today. I wonder if their view on jeans has changed. :)

(sadly, some of those posters from years ago are no longer with us.)

This is an old thread brought forward.

I'd be really interested to compare what some of the posters said years ago in this thread vs what they might say today. I wonder if their view on jeans has changed. :)

(sadly, some of those posters from years ago are no longer with us.)

My opinion on this subject hasn't changed:

1. I wear jeans for hard, sweaty labor out doors with lawn mowers, hammers, paint brushes, etc. I don't wear jeans on other occasions. They're not "my thing."

2. The HAL Dress Code suggestions for Smart Casual nights do not prohibit jeans. The code used to prohibit them, but not any more. Hence, they are acceptable on Smart Casual Nights. Case Closed.

No jeans for us when we cruise. While some may look nice they are not smart or country club casual.

No - jeans does not equal smart casual. Smart casual means dress slacks or skirts for ladies and at least collared shirts for men. It's real easy to get a nice pair of slacks and mix and match tops.

No, Jeans Are Not Smart Casual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in my jeans. I even wear them to work. But they are not considered casual/smart on board. Neither are shorts of any kind.

Jeans are casual, not smart casual.

My opinion on this subject hasn't changed:

1. I wear jeans for hard, sweaty labor out doors with lawn mowers, hammers, paint brushes, etc. I don't wear jeans on other occasions. They're not "my thing."

2. The HAL Dress Code suggestions for Smart Casual nights do not prohibit jeans. The code used to prohibit them, but not any more. Hence, they are acceptable on Smart Casual Nights. Case Closed.

RevNeal,

It's pretty clear the case is not closed for others. These are the folks who only see things as black or white. No wiggle room and no grey area. They must be a joy to share a dinner table with. ;)

RevNeal,

It's pretty clear the case is not closed for others. These are the folks who only see things as black or white. No wiggle room and no grey area. They must be a joy to share a dinner table with. ;)

Whether or not jeans are approved, it seems that just the mere sight of a pair of jeans is just infuriating to some people and the connotation of them brings such horrible thoughts to mind they can't seem to enjoy themselves in the presence of others wearing them. It has nothing to do with if they are clean, new, ripped, pressed or torn, and if seen in the DR can ruin the evening for them. It's very sad that they live their lives based on the dress choice of others.

Whether or not jeans are approved, it seems that just the mere sight of a pair of jeans is just infuriating to some people and the connotation of them brings such horrible thoughts to mind they can't seem to enjoy themselves in the presence of others wearing them. It has nothing to do with if they are clean, new, ripped, pressed or torn, and if seen in the DR can ruin the evening for them. It's very sad that they live their lives based on the dress choice of others.

Excellent.

These types of threads on dress code always become the good, the bad and the ugly.

As I have stated in a previous thread on dress codes, if HAL went to all nude crusing there would be no issue :D ! But this would start new threads on the short comings of the passengers :eek: !

RevNeal,

It's pretty clear the case is not closed for others.

As I said, in my opinion the case is closed: HAL's dress code used to prohibit them, but now it does not. Q.E.D., they are acceptable to the Line for wear on Smart Casual Nights. While this doesn't make them "Smart casual," in an epistemological sense, nevertheless they are acceptable to the Line for wear aboard ship on such evenings. I am not bothered by others -- even friends -- disagreeing with me.

These are the folks who only see things as black or white. No wiggle room and no grey area. They must be a joy to share a dinner table with. ;)

As a matter of fact, I've enjoyed many dinners, lunches, breakfasts, shore excursions, cocktail parties, and evenings of lounge-chat-time with more than one of the quoted posters on multiple cruises: notwithstanding this issue, they were and are wonderful people -- dear friends -- and I look forward to cruising with them again at some point in the future.

I wanted to start a thread asking about jeans. I'm so glad I didn't. I found this one and read every page (ok I skipped the middle 13 pages) and am elightened.

If I'm reading all the comments right, I can wear my long dark jeans with a fancy top 'n heels and I won't be banned from the MDR. But I need to leave my overalls and my 'holy' jeans at home(which by the way, is not a farm). Got it.

I was totally freaking out about this situation today since I realized I only have jeans, jean capris, cargo capris, shorts. I do not own a fancy pair of 'slacks'(I'm 28, I don't think I'm supposed to say slacks:D), I don't like to wear skirts with tops because that just reminds me of my high school uniform, and I don't have dressy capris. So what is a girl to do?

GO ON A SHOPPING SPREE! Tomorrow. Need 'slacks' and sundresses. Twisting my arm....

I think its all about HOW you wear them, not "if" you wear them.

I know I look darn dressy (not even casual) with my dark flared jeans, silk frilly top, and Louboutin sandals!

Top that off with a nice hairdo, and matching make up and jewelry,

On formal nights it's gala dresses all the way ;-)

I'm super jealous of the Loubitins..some day I'll own a pair. You a size 7 by any chance? :p

Just an added note, I am in no way trying to get out of dressing within the standards. I am an old-fashioned girl at heart and the main reason I love cruising is the excuse to get dressed up!

This has been around for a while.

If the OP is asking: are jeans permitted, then the answer is a definitive yes (respecting smart casual). If the question is in the form of a solicitation for opinions of others irrespective of HAL policy, then the debate will go on forever.

And it is well on its way...:D

Smooth sailing...

This is another one of those questions I've wondered about, but have been hesitant to ask.

If we end up with enough space in the luggage, I'm probably going to pack my dh's nice jeans & boots for non-formal nights.

To me, there's nothing "smarter" looking than a long, tall cowboy with starched jeans, button down shirt, jacket, cowboy boots & cowboy hat :D (I won't pack the hat tho, since we'll be inside LOL)

Of course, this is my opinion & you can probably tell I'm from Texas by it... :)

This is another one of those questions I've wondered about, but have been hesitant to ask.

If we end up with enough space in the luggage, I'm probably going to pack my dh's nice jeans & boots for non-formal nights.

To me, there's nothing "smarter" looking than a long, tall cowboy with starched jeans, button down shirt, jacket, cowboy boots & cowboy hat :D (I won't pack the hat tho, since we'll be inside LOL)

Of course, this is my opinion & you can probably tell I'm from Texas by it... :)

And here I thought you guys in Texas were only wearing jeans on the farm;) Enjoy Eurodam on your New Years cruise! They make a big deal out of it on New Years Eve:)

And here I thought you guys in Texas were only wearing jeans on the farm;) Enjoy Eurodam on your New Years cruise! They make a big deal out of it on New Years Eve:)

I'm actually a city girl, but some days I feel like I'm in a zoo! LOL!!

Thanks for the well wishes! We're SO excited to spend NYE on the ocean!! I can't wait to dress up & celebrate :D (btw - no jeans for ME! I have more dresses bought than I know how to pack!)

I'm 28, I don't think I'm supposed to say slacks:D...

You a size 7 by any chance? :p...

OK. 28 years old and a size 7.

I can assure you that at least one half of the passengers on board will have absolutely no problem with you wearing jeans :)

...I do not own a fancy pair of 'slacks'(I'm 28, I don't think I'm supposed to say slacks:D)

This made me laugh and laugh. I'm about twice your age, and think "slacks" is an awful, awful word. It reminds me of those polyester double-knit sans-a-belt trousers all the fashionable old fellas wore in the 1970s. In contemporary usage, I think "slacks" are supposed to mean trousers not of the denim or chino varieties. I've no idea what "dress slacks" are supposed to be.

Anyway, please do call them TROUSERS. Pants are your drawers, and "slacks" are...just...eww. And since I'm on a roll, I don't think much of the golf/polo shirt and Dockers look, either. It's what the middle-management types wear when they think they're being casual. I'm not sure why any man would willingly wear a shirt that makes him look pregnant and in need of a brassiere. But that's just one woman's opinion. As always, YMMV. Men might find those kinds of clothes comfortable, for all I know. And I'm all for that.

It's always fun hanging out in the HAL forum.

I'm actually a city girl, but some days I feel like I'm in a zoo! LOL!!

Thanks for the well wishes! We're SO excited to spend NYE on the ocean!! I can't wait to dress up & celebrate :D (btw - no jeans for ME! I have more dresses bought than I know how to pack!)

New Year's Eve on the HAL ships equals a great time. There will be live music and dancing in all the lounges, a count down, party favors, balloons, champagne, "oliebollen" (Dutch New Years Eve tradition), "Father Time" and the "New Years Baby", lots of fun! Enjoy!

OK. 28 years old and a size 7.

I can assure you that at least one half of the passengers on board will have absolutely no problem with you wearing jeans :)

LOL and another LOL....

Louboutin's are shoes! My feet are a size 7! hahaha

FWIW my jeans are a 6, but that was funny..

I love formal night and dress for it but girl there are some blinged out jeans out there that with the right top and some great jewelry that is perfect for resort casual. Women who think jeans are just for running around the house/garden/grocery store need to rethink jeans.

I love formal night and dress for it but girl there are some blinged out jeans out there that with the right top and some great jewelry that is perfect for resort casual. Women who think jeans are just for running around the house/garden/grocery store need to rethink jeans.

What I don't get is that pax don't see the incongruence of dining in an elegant dining room on Rosenthal china while wearing jeans. That some jeans have more bling than others just doesn't enter into it in my view. I say that in full realization that some designer jeans will set you back more than a tuxedo in Brooks Brothers. Dolce & Gabbana jeans can cost 1,200USD. APO jeans can cost up to 4,000USD, but you get platinum, gold or silver rivets and real diamonds in the place of a regular button (and a certificate of appraisal from a NYC jeweler). These are not the most expensive jeans, but they are still JEANS, and there is no getting away from it.

You can get a reasonable Brooks Brothers Tuxedo for 1,600USD.

Its not the money. That either resonates with you or it doesn't. To each his or her own, and there are too many more serious things to worry about. Trying to preserve old dress codes is a real "tilting at Windmills" exercise.

I just hope those appraisals are from reputable jewelers. :D

Smooth sailing...

I wanted to start a thread asking about jeans. I'm so glad I didn't. I found this one and read every page (ok I skipped the middle 13 pages) and am elightened.

If I'm reading all the comments right, I can wear my long dark jeans with a fancy top 'n heels and I won't be banned from the MDR. But I need to leave my overalls and my 'holy' jeans at home(which by the way, is not a farm). Got it.

I was totally freaking out about this situation today since I realized I only have jeans, jean capris, cargo capris, shorts. I do not own a fancy pair of 'slacks'(I'm 28, I don't think I'm supposed to say slacks:D), I don't like to wear skirts with tops because that just reminds me of my high school uniform, and I don't have dressy capris. So what is a girl to do?

GO ON A SHOPPING SPREE! Tomorrow. Need 'slacks' and sundresses. Twisting my arm....

I'm super jealous of the Loubitins..some day I'll own a pair. You a size 7 by any chance? :p

Just an added note, I am in no way trying to get out of dressing within the standards. I am an old-fashioned girl at heart and the main reason I love cruising is the excuse to get dressed up!

Glad your getting something out of this... I could really care less about what other people wear. I'm going to wear what I feel comfortable in. I feel bad for the people who get upset when they see people who don't dress to their standard... (even if their standard is more strict that the cruise lines)

Enjoy yourself and feel comfortable in what you wear... cuz your the one wearing it! I'm in my late 20's too... so I see what your comming from.

I would recommend Reitmans - "the original comfort" pants... they are more comfortable that sweat pants cuz they have a little elasticity to them... so when you eat too much your pants don't feel like they will burst. and they are slacks... business pants... w/e... they are the bees knees!

Glad your getting something out of this... I could really care less about what other people wear. I'm going to wear what I feel comfortable in. I feel bad for the people who get upset when they see people who don't dress to their standard... (even if their standard is more strict that the cruise lines)

Enjoy yourself and feel comfortable in what you wear... cuz your the one wearing it! I'm in my late 20's too... so I see what your comming from.

I would recommend Reitmans - "the original comfort" pants... they are more comfortable that sweat pants cuz they have a little elasticity to them... so when you eat too much your pants don't feel like they will burst. and they are slacks... business pants... w/e... they are the bees knees!

Very thoughtful.

So much for pax who say it is the airlines restrictions on luggage that causes them to pack light and not bring formal wear.

They manage to pack heavy jeans but can't bring nice slacks and a dress shirt?:confused:

Archived