Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

FWIW, I am guessing there are far more of the chic and appropriate jeans outfits onboard than the schlumps in old and/or ragged jeans and t-shirts. While I have no hard data, the schlump is noticed because he/she sticks out. Those who are appropriately dressed, jeans or no, tend to fly under the radar.

Rebutting the folks who love to look down their noses at others and pressure others to conform to their 'standards' is necessary in order to let newcomers to HAL know that they are accepted and welcome, whatever they choose to wear - within reason, of course.

"within reason, of course." ????????? OK, we now know that JR767 is in charge of deciding what is within reason. Jeans are OK, but please tell us specifically what isn't.

I'd suggest that we all act like adults and instead of pushing the envelope like adolescents just obey the obvious intent of the suggested dress code.

On our cruise earlier this month we and our friends returned from an excursion too late to change out of our jeans and dress appropriately for the MDR. We concluded that our attire was dumb casual insofar as being appropriate for the MDR was concerned. We ate in the Lido and didn't feel persecuted by anyone.

That is a bit extreme.

Not in many cases. When lines allow "jeans" it becomes a free for all. Not everyone wears designer jeans. We've seen it all, over the years, and tacky doesn't even begin to describe some of the getups people think are appropriate.

Then the arguments start. Some may be asked to change out of their torn, dirty, jeans and they will argue that "everyone else can wear jeans". They are in essence correct. So the MDR crew is forced to turn their heads and allow the Clampetts into the MDR.

We've been stuck sitting at a table next to some of those pax. One man wore flip flops every night. His feet and toenails were disgusting, as were the jeans he wore. He also wore a sleevelss shirt and we were treated to views of his ample underarm hair and the smell of him. Disgusting doesn't describe him.

What can the crew do? Basically nothing. Standards are gone. Basic grooming habits are disappearing.

Sad.:(

Not in many cases. When lines allow "jeans" it becomes a free for all. Not everyone wears designer jeans. We've seen it all, over the years, and tacky doesn't even begin to describe some of the getups people think are appropriate.

Then the arguments start. Some may be asked to change out of their torn, dirty, jeans and they will argue that "everyone else can wear jeans". They are in essence correct. So the MDR crew is forced to turn their heads and allow the Clampetts into the MDR.

We've been stuck sitting at a table next to some of those pax. One man wore flip flops every night. His feet and toenails were disgusting, as were the jeans he wore. He also wore a sleevelss shirt and we were treated to views of his ample underarm hair and the smell of him. Disgusting doesn't describe him.

What can the crew do? Basically nothing. Standards are gone. Basic grooming habits are disappearing.

What I meant was it was "a bit extreme" to say that jeans belong on a farm, which would mean the people wearing them belong on a farm too.

I do, however, agree with you that the interpretations can vary. Perhaps there should be a distinction, "no denim jeans in the dining room".

Thank you, but we will wear what we please. The strident minority of "fashion police" simply do not have the power to compel, coerce, or mandate the clothing style choices of adults.

We understand that there are many who wail, gnash their teeth, and complain bitterly about their inability to dictate to others. Well, they will just have to get over themselves.

Very, very well-said!

I am trying to imagine this situation and just cannot. Would you be willing to let us know what cruise line this was on? I know a sleeveless shirt for men is against the rules on RCI in the MDR and possibly others. I have never noticed the toenails of a fellow passenger but usually do notice footwear. Did you have the option of changing you MDR table? With what you describe I think I would have dined just about anywhere else.

But...I do not think that a nice pair of jeans is anything but great. If individuals want to regulate the quality of someone's attire, I think it should be carried across the board. An example might be, men's khakis should not be too tight or too short, women's tops should not be too tight or too revealing.

There are individuals on every cruise that do not meet 100% passenger approval, but you have no idea how much work they have put into putting their wardrobe together for the cruise. I have tried to teach my children not to be judgmental but it is often an effort when confronted with very judgmental adults.

Cherie

Your story was almost believable until you added the part of him smelling disgusting all the way from the next table. :D

JMO -- jeans are not smart casual -- they belong on the farm.

We don't even own any jeans.

No jeans?

Just wondering what kind of pants do you do work in?

We in the country wear them to do heavy work in, but certainly would not wear them to a nice restaurant, or cruise ship dining room.

Farm & country people are not as clueless as some might think! LOL

Perhaps he was not thrilled with having to sit next to you, either.

What makes the difference between business casual and smart casual?

Becuase I think business casual is the black slacks with a button down shirt or blouse (for the ladies) but smart casual is a step down from that... which may include jeans.

:cool:

It's tough to differentiate between the two, especially for a head waiter who doesn't want to offend anyone.

Oh good,

Love it, wearing my blue pajama jeans that I wore to bed last night, all day long on the excursion. Then coming to the MDR with my hanging belly is comfy comfy AND saves time!!

That'll work although I haven't seen anyone with them yet.

i am trying to imagine this situation and just cannot. Would you be willing to let us know what cruise line this was on? I know a sleeveless shirt for men is against the rules on rci in the mdr and possibly others. I have never noticed the toenails of a fellow passenger but usually do notice footwear. Did you have the option of changing you mdr table? With what you describe i think i would have dined just about anywhere else.

But...i do not think that a nice pair of jeans is anything but great. If individuals want to regulate the quality of someone's attire, i think it should be carried across the board. An example might be, men's khakis should not be too tight or too short, women's tops should not be too tight or too revealing.

There are individuals on every cruise that do not meet 100% passenger approval, but you have no idea how much work they have put into putting their wardrobe together for the cruise. I have tried to teach my children not to be judgmental but it is often an effort when confronted with very judgmental adults.

Cherie

rci.

Your story was almost believable until you added the part of him smelling disgusting all the way from the next table. :D

The tables weren't too far apart..he was seated near my side of my table. As the waiters walked by the odor would waft towards our table. I went to the ladies room and passed him and smelled the odor was well. Our waitstaff also commented on the stench and apologized.

It wasn't pleasant.:(

The tables weren't too far apart..he was seated near my side of my table. As the waiters walked by the odor would waft towards our table. I went to the ladies room and passed him and smelled the odor was well. Our waitstaff also commented on the stench and apologized.

OK, it falls back into the believable category once again. I've had waiters who have had bad body odor but of course they stand close by when serving as well as some of they reek of cigarette smoke from their last break.

Originally, this was a thread about whether jeans were appropriate for suggested 'smart casual' dress guidelines. Just curious - what does this anecdote have to do with the thread topic?

"within reason, of course." ????????? OK, we now know that JR767 is in charge of deciding what is within reason. Jeans are OK, but please tell us specifically what isn't.

I'd suggest that we all act like adults and instead of pushing the envelope like adolescents just obey the obvious intent of the suggested dress code.

On our cruise earlier this month we and our friends returned from an excursion too late to change out of our jeans and dress appropriately for the MDR. We concluded that our attire was dumb casual insofar as being appropriate for the MDR was concerned. We ate in the Lido and didn't feel persecuted by anyone.

Just to clarify, Sir - of course I am not "in charge of deciding what is within reason". And clearly, it was never my intent to assert that I am "in charge" of anything regarding how other passengers choose to dress. Your implication that I did in fact assert this is mistaken, and clearly tendentious. In fact, one could fairly characterize your twisting my words and meaning in this instance to be, well, adolescent.

Originally, this was a thread about whether jeans were appropriate for suggested 'smart casual' dress guidelines. Just curious - what does this anecdote have to do with the thread topic?

She was complaining about his personal hyJEAN in the dining room. :)

Archived