Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

Glad your getting something out of this... I could really care less about what other people wear. I'm going to wear what I feel comfortable in. I feel bad for the people who get upset when they see people who don't dress to their standard... (even if their standard is more strict that the cruise lines)

Enjoy yourself and feel comfortable in what you wear... cuz your the one wearing it! I'm in my late 20's too... so I see what your comming from.

I would recommend Reitmans - "the original comfort" pants... they are more comfortable that sweat pants cuz they have a little elasticity to them... so when you eat too much your pants don't feel like they will burst. and they are slacks... business pants... w/e... they are the bees knees!

My personal standard is more strict than HAL's, but I accept that HAL has set a different standard for "formal" and "casual." My problem, and that of a number of other posters is that HAL won't even enforce those standards. Yes, I know, it's a "suggestion" not a "code." That's just HAL wimping out.

As for jeans, I wear them a lot around home, yes, to the grocery store and other errands. But they feel out of place in a formal dining room, so I won't wear them to dinner on a cruise. But if HAL doesn't say you can't wear jeans to the MDR for dinner, I'm not going to criticize those who do.

Well, one criticism. IMO, anyone who spends as much on one pair of jeans as I pay for a week's cruise needs to rethink their spending habits. :eek:

So much for pax who say it is the airlines restrictions on luggage that causes them to pack light and not bring formal wear.

They manage to pack heavy jeans but can't bring nice slacks and a dress shirt?:confused:

You're correct. They feel that a pair of jeans offers more comfort and make their decision based on what they feel is best for them, not for your pleasure. :p

As I said, in my opinion the case is closed: HAL's dress code used to prohibit them, but now it does not. Q.E.D., they are acceptable to the Line for wear on Smart Casual Nights. While this doesn't make them "Smart casual," in an epistemological sense, nevertheless they are acceptable to the Line for wear aboard ship on such evenings. I am not bothered by others -- even friends -- disagreeing with me.

As a matter of fact, I've enjoyed many dinners, lunches, breakfasts, shore excursions, cocktail parties, and evenings of lounge-chat-time with more than one of the quoted posters on multiple cruises: notwithstanding this issue, they were and are wonderful people -- dear friends -- and I look forward to cruising with them again at some point in the future.

I'm sure we are all glad that you have enjoyed yourself, but that does not negate the validity of the original comment unless you have possibly been appointed as the official and final voice of reason on this website?

By no means am I trying to get out of "dressing up" for dinner but I was courious if Jeans are considered "smart casual". The reason I ask is because 1. a nice pair of jeans with a fancy shirt can look just as good as a pair of slacks and 2. on our last cruise (to Alaska in 05 on Westerdam) I noticed may people wear jeans is the dining room. I did not because I was traveling with my very traditional grandmother. What is everyone's opinion on this?

I don't think so. Jeans are Jeans.

Lots of things are fashionable.

Nose rings and body piercings are fashionable. :D

Jeans with holes in them are fashionable and can be very expensive. :D

On 'smart-casual' nights can I wear the stainless steel nose ring? Or should I wear the gold nose ring? (look closely at my profile pic and you can see what the gold one looks like) Of course on formal nights I'll be wearing the gold one.

On 'smart-casual' nights can I wear the stainless steel nose ring? Or should I wear the gold nose ring? (look closely at my profile pic and you can see what the gold one looks like) Of course on formal nights I'll be wearing the gold one.

On 'smart casual' I would wear that stainless steel bad boy and for formal, like you say, the gold one! That one is more, how shall we call it, festive and would fit right in with the other bling on display! Get that shaved head and you'll be stylin'

Thanks for the tip In Service. I have some fab bling I can substitute for the bead on formal nights.

Seriously everyone, if you want to make sure no-one pays any attention to what kind of pants you're wearing in the dining room shave your head into a mohawk, dye it blue, spike it up and put a ring in your nose. I gare-in-tee that your pants, denim jeans or otherwise, will fade into the background.

Thanks for the tip In Service. I have some fab bling I can substitute for the bead on formal nights.

Seriously everyone, if you want to make sure no-one pays any attention to what kind of pants you're wearing in the dining room shave your head into a mohawk, dye it blue, spike it up and put a ring in your nose. I gare-in-tee that your pants, denim jeans or otherwise, will fade into the background.

Roger that! Excellent on the 10 codes, btw! I'm impressed!

I, too, don't pay a lot of attention to people's dress unless it is something really really weird.

And I have seen some very dressy jeans for men and women. A far cry from the faded denims with rips in them :eek: My daughter has purchased jeans that are over a $100 a pair. And the men's dressy jeans are nice, too.

However, on one of our Caribbean cruises, I spotted a gentleman in the MDR who always wore a baseball cap and Overall Jeans. He TRULY looked like he had stepped off the farm. Funnier yet, is when we were on Half Moon Cay and folks were dressed in swimwear, shorts, etc....the same man was strolling on the beach.........wearing overalls and his baseball cap! :)

:)You have definitely made a point!

I'm sure we are all glad that you have enjoyed yourself, but that does not negate the validity of the original comment unless you have possibly been appointed as the official and final voice of reason on this website?

I was expressing my opinion. I identified it as such. I don't deny that others have another opinion, nor do I have a problem with that.

Wow. I had no idea people could be so ugly over something so petty!

Ditto! Suggestions are just that suggestions. When pax try to lay down the law or enforce what they believe/want the rules to be then all the fun is gone from vacation.

Let the man with overalls & baseball cap have fun too :p

By no means am I trying to get out of "dressing up" for dinner but I was courious if Jeans are considered "smart casual". The reason I ask is because 1. a nice pair of jeans with a fancy shirt can look just as good as a pair of slacks and 2. on our last cruise (to Alaska in 05 on Westerdam) I noticed may people wear jeans is the dining room. I did not because I was traveling with my very traditional grandmother. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Well, "smart" casual "stupid" casual....it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I don't wear jeans in the dining room. Not because they are "smart" or "stupid", but just because I think they're too heavy.

I've never seen anyone in the dining room on "smart" casual nights giving everyone the "stare down" when they walk in and if you can get in the door, you can wear them. I wouldn't opt for the jeans that are all ripped up though, anywhere anytime.

I remember the days when cruising when it was "dress up" every night...it's more casual now and styles have changed.

I remember when women ALWAYS wore dresses and wearing a pantsuit was considered a faux paux.

I also remember when sporting tatoos were considered tacky and gauche. Now, I see women dressed in gowns with their tatoos on their shoulders, ankles and arms proudly exposed.

Go figure. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I also remember when sporting tatoos were considered tacky and gauche. Now, I see women dressed in gowns with their tatoos on their shoulders, ankles and arms proudly exposed.

I know this is a board on Jeans, but what about tattoos?

I am thinking of getting a simple tattoo on my shoulder before my cruise.

No words and No R rated stuff. Something clean.

Are they permitted to be shown in the MDR... or should I wear a sleeved shirt?

Archived