Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

I live in my jeans. I even wear them to work. But they are not considered casual/smart on board. Neither are shorts of any kind.

Agree totally.

And to RevNeal it did bring back a smile to see Rita live on in her posts. I'm sure she's enjoying her neverending cruise.

I've seen several times throughout the CC that people admit that they rarely see people so good looking and well dressed on their cruises.

I've noticed on most of the videos on princess they have the men wearing the standard striped buttoned shirt with slacks and the women wearing really nice shirts with a skirt/dress.

Now I don't regularly wear skirts unless I have to... I'm a pants kinda gal.

But I found a video on the princess were someone was wearing jeans!

It was for the Bayou Cafe & Steakhouse. :D

I took a pic of the woman in the video. Yep! They're Jeans!

53087316_PRINCESSANDJEANS.jpg.16c69e5a151cf1cb1cf0c0344c9d6d26.jpg

IMHO, jeans can be, but are not always, Smart Casual. It depends on the jeans and the rest of the outfit. Also, nothing in the suggested dress guidelines prohibits jeans on non-formal nights.

I've attached two pictures as examples. I don't think either of those outfits would be out of place in the MDR for dinner.

autumnjeans.jpg.b2c457532a0f43af04a3b25c69006eb9.jpg

580501312_redjeans.jpg.f5ab394b606ccad3a03eccd8e833191f.jpg

I think its all about HOW you wear them, not "if" you wear them.

I know I look darn dressy (not even casual) with my dark flared jeans, silk frilly top, and Louboutin sandals!

Top that off with a nice hairdo, and matching make up and jewelry,

On formal nights it's gala dresses all the way ;-)

Do Jeans = Smart Casual? Yes. ;)

holiday-party-jeans.jpg

In my opinion, what makes jeans "smart casual" in these photos is how they are accessorized by the other elements of their outfits. In other words, these outfits are "smart casual" because of the way in which they are assembled. It's the "put-together look" that is smart casual, here, not the jeans.

Regardless, what I said way back in 2008 is still true today: All individual opinions aside, HAL's dress code no longer expressly prohibits jeans on Smart Casual Nights (the code once did), therefore jeans are acceptable for wear on those evenings. Case closed.

In my opinion, what makes jeans "smart casual" in these photos is how they are accessorized by the other elements of their outfits. In other words, these outfits are "smart casual" because of the way in which they are assembled. It's the "put-together look" that is smart casual, here, not the jeans.

Exactly, but if the "put together look" is smart casual and it's put together with jeans, then the jeans are part of the smart casual. ;)

Jeans are not smart casual. Dockers or slacks with a nice shirt is what we consider smart casual. After numerous cruises we see jeans in the dining room every night. Yes they usually have a nice shirt on but they are still jeans. I believe the cruise lines should start enforcing the dress code. If it is to much trouble to wear slacks or dockers then go to the buffet.

Exactly, but if the "put together look" is smart casual and it's put together with jeans, then the jeans are part of the smart casual. ;)

Jeans are part of a smart casual outfit, but only by virtue of what the other elements in the outfit bring to the outfit ... not by themselves. Nevertheless, HAL allows them on Smart Casual Nights.

Jeans are not smart casual. Dockers or slacks with a nice shirt is what we consider smart casual. After numerous cruises we see jeans in the dining room every night. Yes they usually have a nice shirt on but they are still jeans. I believe the cruise lines should start enforcing the dress code. If it is to much trouble to wear slacks or dockers then go to the buffet.

HAL's dress code does not contain a prohibition regarding Jeans, so enforcing the dress code (which I also wish they would do) wouldn't help you here. The Dress Code used to prohibit jeans on Casual Nights, but it doesn't any more; the removal of an expressed prohibition constitutes acceptance of same.

I don't like jeans and only wear them when working in the yard, or building houses with Habitat for Humanity, etc. I don't bring them on a cruise. But, if nice (not worn out or riddled with holes from heavy use) and accessorized properly, they certainly do qualify as part of an outfit.

Yes, but jeans will never be worn "by themselves".

LOL! Let's hope not!

My point is that when you wear jeans with a T-shirt, they are NOT "smart casual."

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, Rev. Fair enough? ;)

Of course. Not that it matters. People will do whatever people will do, and the Line will do what it does.

I just wish I were aboard ship right now ... and not having to wait another whole month.

My point is that when you wear jeans with a T-shirt, they are NOT "smart casual."

Of course. Not that it matters. People will do whatever people will do, and the Line will do what it does. I just wish I were aboard ship right now ... and not having to wait another whole month.

Couldn't agree more. Have a wonderful cruise. ;)

In reply to what I bolded above, HAL is enforcing its dress code. Like it or not, jeans are NOT on the forbidden clothes list for the MDR...as others have said.

We just got back from a HAL cruise last week and jeans on both men and women were a very comon sight in the MDR. We are part of the older crowd and I almost always wear a skirt and nice top, my husband, dress slacks and a dress shirt...that is what we like to wear, it covers many sins and we are comfortable.

If some one else likes to wear jeans with a shrit or nice top....that is fine with us, Believe me, the people in dressed in jeans looked a whole lot better than the "too stetched" stretch pants and short sleeve just below the waist knit tops worn by some older women. Some poeple really need to take a good look in a full length mirrow!

Archived