Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

Been thinking about that statement S7S and don't get it:confused: The smallest, in area, is Utrecht and the newest/last/most recent is Flevoland. Flevoland is basically all reclaimed land from the former Zuiderzee, now IJsselmeer

DH always says his Father came from Holland & His Mother from Germany..Only a few people in the U.S. have our last name but when we were in the Hague there were at least 15 pages listing our last name in the phone book..I printed up your History lesson for DH..

"Correct"

Like when you say to someone

"So the meeting is at 1pm?"

"Correct"

What are they my high school English teacher ?*LOL*

How about the meeting will be at 1300..

What about those folks with those patches behind their ears; what religion do they belong to, and why do their elders make 'em wear those patches on their vacation?

Eight boats from our sailing club were doing an overnighter to the Dry Tortugas..A Friend was with her DH on their boat...Each boat had two people who alternated watch every 3 hrs, but we called in on our radios every hour...We could not raise this boat & all of us became worried... Finally, several boats decided to go look for them when her DH called in...He had been having his hands full with her & could not let her stay on watch....She was prone to sea sickness & figured that if one patch worked then two would be better..Big mistake!..While on watch, she hallucinated & saw Pirates coming over the stern of their boat:confused: ..He was very nervous, as he had a gun on board...Fortunately one of our boats had a physician on board who while questioning them found out about her two patches...He had her DH remove both patches immediately & put her to bed.. She slept for almost 24 hrs..Since then we always caution our friends who plan to use those patches..

Cheers..:) Betty

Do you have any pesty little expressions people use that are chalk on a blackboard for you?

Like calling a ship a boat?

Or referring to Holland America Line as Holland?

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. I know...picky, picky etc but it always grabs me when I read that. :D

Any get to you?

People who express their niggly little annoyances. :) :)

I'd argue that one with you. I was ending a sentence, not the phrase.

That doesn't matter, Michael. Periods and commas always go inside the quotation marks (and it's quotation, not quote, which is a verb, if y'all want to be really snobby). Semicolons and colons go outside the quotation marks. Dashes, exclamation points, and question marks go inside the quotation marks when they refer to the quoted material only, and outside when they refer to the whole sentence.

I am known by my graduate students as "The Queen of the Split Infinitive," because I find them when others do not, and behind my back I may be called "The Grammar ****." ;)

At least my TA understands me when I ask for an aft cabin.;)

Hi Nancy,

I think "aft cabin" in the way we use it is an abbreviation of "aft facing cabin". I think that's fine and should satisfy all of the anal retentives out there;)

Steve

Okay, I guess I'll join in. I hate it when a man refers to his wife as "the wife" ---much the same as he would refer to "the cat", or "the dog". It sounds so much better and more respectful to say "my wife".
I've got an even worse one ... "the little woman." We had a guy here at work who used to talk about "the little woman" and everytime he said that I wanted so badly to slap his face.

Wonder if his wife knew he routinely referred to her that way?

Believe me, she was anything but little, but even if she was, I would find that highly insulting if I were her.

Blue skies ...

--rita

What about those folks with those patches behind their ears; what religion do they belong to, and why do their elders make 'em wear those patches on their vacation?

You always make me smile, John - but I have to say those patches are lifesavers for some of us. Without mine, I'd be wobbling all over the hallways - and get myself carted off to the drunk tank. I thought sure I'd outgrow my need for them after a number of cruises, but I still cannot function when I'm patchless.

OK - now I have to find a way to run this reply through a grammar check. Ya'll make me paranoid! :)

The fact that we interpret punctuation rules differently does not surprise me. Or, we might have been taught different rules.

My wife and I, products of the same unified school district and of the same year, went to different elementary schools and learned different rules for the use of commas. Back in those days, hours were spent diagramming sentences. When my children went to school, diagramming sentences had almost fallen by the wayside.

The same school district, with a foreign language requirement in high school, taught Castillian Spanish rather than conversational Mexican Spanish. End result was most of us could not carry on a conversation with our neighbors on the border.

And this is really contributing to thread drift.

I don't see what's wrong in shortening the names of the HAL ships. We know every dam one ends the same. On Royal Carib they all end in "of the sea" but are referred by the first word.

Spelling errors that are repeated and the writer is proud of it really annoys me. I would rather be corrected to avoid seeming eternally dumb.

Also people who attack other people on these threads because of smoking, drinking, smuggling, etc. when they probably do something just as serious in breaking the ship's rules at their convenience. Chair hogs take note!

Finally read your comment before sending it to check for errors like spelling , commas, apostrophes, and threats.

Hi Nancy,

I think "aft cabin" in the way we use it is an abbreviation of "aft facing cabin". I think that's fine and should satisfy all of the anal retentives out there;)

Steve

On our first Noordam cruise, I asked our TA for a stateroom aft of midship, port side. Last cruise, I booked one of the VA's on the stern. My husband grew up on and around boats (not ships!), so correct nautical terminology has been around me forever. As far as "boats" go, he hates it when someone refers to the head as a "bathroom" and the galley as a "kitchen." I digress. :-)

On our first Noordam cruise, I asked our TA for a stateroom aft of midship, port side. Last cruise, I booked one of the VA's on the stern. My husband grew up on and around boats (not ships!), so correct nautical terminology has been around me forever. As far as "boats" go, he hates it when someone refers to the head as a "bathroom" and the galley as a "kitchen." I digress. :-)

Hi Sheila,

Is "head" a bathroom? Are most crew familiar with the term? I can imagine heads spinning if I were to ask where the "head" was....

:D :D :D

Port and starboard. I think of red being the color of port and on the left side facing the bow.:D

When I was a kid, my dad had a 35 foot ChrisCraft, which is a "boat".

I learned that "red wine left port" as a way to remember which is which. This tells you that Port is the left side of the boat/ship and the left running lights are red. When leaving port, the red channel marker lights/buoys are on the left.

Also, "red right returning", meaning that, when returning from the sea, the red channel marker lights are on the right side of the channel. Getting that mixed up on a foggy night can be disastrous.

I've got an even worse one ... "the little woman." We had a guy here at work who used to talk about "the little woman" and everytime he said that I wanted so badly to slap his face.

Wonder if his wife knew he routinely referred to her that way?

Believe me, she was anything but little, but even if she was, I would find that highly insulting if I were her.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That goes both ways - How 'bout "My old man?"

Is "head" a bathroom? Are most crew familiar with the term? I can imagine heads spinning if I were to ask where the "head" was....

Most of the Indonesian staff will not know what "the head" is onboard the ship. Everyone who has been in the Corps or in the Navy will have no problem identifying with that term

A "BIG" annoyance for me is when I get settled in on a deck chair on the Promenade deck in the location I want someone comes and sits near-by and starts smoking. Since smoking is allowed on deck what can you do. A few annoyed glances at the smoker doesn't get me anywhere. So, then I get up and try to find another spot but with my luck a smoker comes by. Being a reformed smoker, the smoking makes me gag. I CAN'T STAND WHEN THIS HAPPENS!!!

Aft cabins are between the Middle of the ship & the Stern..
But that would mean that at one point (on each side) there are aft cabins right next to forward ones! :D On Vistas (and Eurodam) I think of everything "between the bends" as midships, and forward and aft cabins as those outside those breakpoints. Of course on R&S class ships, it's hard to define just where "midships" begins and ends! :D

But that would mean that at one point (on each side) there are aft cabins right next to forward ones! :D

Actually, except for the first and last cabin on each side, all points have aft cabins right next to forward ones - it all depends on where you are standing! ;)

Archived