Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

... but ugh! those "Convince Me" topics really bug me!!!!
I agree! It sounds to me like they're asking us to make up some questions for them!! :)

"Debarkation" used instead of disembarkation.

Sounds like something you do to a dog!

Sorry, but debarkation is a legitimate word, and the form I prefer. IMO, it's less convoluted.

Here's another thing to think about: why is it that we "board" both planes and ships, but rarely say we deboard ships?

Here's mine-

I cant stand it when people post a topic that says "Convince me to try the Zuiderdam" - or whatever ship. Even worse "Convince me to try Holland" :)

Only slight more annoying to me is "Tell me about _____" topics

It sounds like they're ordering everyone to convince them, or to just start rambling on as if we have nothing better to do. Questions, whether general or specific are all great, but ugh! those "Convince Me" topics really bug me!!!!

It's as if we have nothing better to do,or we get a big commission check from Holland America for everyone we convince or sign up. In the grand scheme of things

WhoCares.gif

whether you sail on Holland America?

Jerry Seinfeld had a great line about people who start a story with "Now correct me if I'm wrong..."

"Hey when did I become an editor at Simon and Schuster? You want me to hear your story and proof read it at the same time? "

I have a better idea , come back and tell me your story when you know what the hell you're talking about" :)

The phrase.........HUNKER DOWN............not really anything to do with the cruising, except in an emergency but hate it just the same. I'm not alone on this one. Hurricane season brings it on full force from everyones mouth.

BOAT..... is an endearment and i know the difference between ship and boat.

Do you have any pesty little expressions people use that are chalk on a blackboard for you?

Like referring to Holland America Line as Holland?

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. I know...picky, picky etc but it always grabs me when I read that. :D

You'd hate to be around me. I refer to the line as "HAL." Sorry, no disrespect meant, it's just easier to say.

I've got a bunch: people who post about the "dinning" on a ship. After all of the posts that have been on this forum, do people not know that it is spelled with only one "n," as in "dining?"

Or how about the word "niggly." Where did you find that one?

What about when someone says, "to be honest with you." No, why don't you lie instead?

Or, what about people you encounter while walking and they don't politely step slightly aside so that both of you do not collide? Or several people who meet up with each other and just stand in the middle of the way and block the way from everyone's use. I now have a new way of dealing with that. I say, "excuse you." If you say it fast enough, they don't realize what you said until you're past them. Tee hee.

relates to ebonics. Remember that? We be missing the point somehow. Usha's comment was funny because it was done on purpose. When the real postings include those errors it isn't funny. Also "may I ask you a question?" You just did!

*LOL* I work with several people who speak fluent Ebonics :(

Actually in regards to the question you mention , it would be "May I AXE you a question ?"

My other favorite " I have to go to a funeral, my cousin got KILT in an accident" KILT???reall? Did this accident take place in Scotland?

Those passengers that when talking about anything British always seem to think they are only talking about England e.g. the English Prime Minister or English Parliament. In neither case of course do they exist, it is the British Prime Minister (who incidentally is a Scot) and the British Parliament as England doesn't have its own. I have even heard references to the English Army which of course should be called the British Army. It is also irritating to hear Queen Elizabeth 11 referred to as the Queen of England. She is the Head of State of the United Kingdoms of Britain and 15 other Commonwealth realms. England no longer has its own Queen. I could go on but I think you've got my gripe. You see I'm a Scot who lives six months in England and six months in the USA each year.

I love the way this thread has developed saying so much about so many gripes we all must share.

Here's another annoyance, unrelated to the English language. People who insist that they want "the best", are accustomed to "the best", are "well-paid professionals" then want to know how to get a free upgrade or large OBCs or some form of special treatment, while only wanting to pay for the cheapest cabin available.

Sorry, but debarkation is a legitimate word, and the form I prefer.

We adopted an older dog, and some previous owner had her de-barked. I cannot say that word without hearing my poor late sweetie in my head, making the softest, hoarsest "uuuk" "uuuk" noise. For me, "disembark".

I got into an interesting discussion one time with someone from the UK about the difference between being British and being English. Still not sure about that one.

How about the word "extraordinary?" We all know that it means "something great," but if you look at the word, "extra ordinary," who wants to be even more ordinary?

How many times have you heard someone mispronounce Princess Cruises' slogan: "EXcape the Ordinary?" I always thought the word was EScape.

BTW, can you tell I minored in English in college?

"Extra" in Latin means outside of or beyond: you can see this in words like extraterrestrial, extracurricular or extraneous. So "extraordinary" fits the pattern quite well.

You probably already know this, but "British" includes Welsh and Scottish (and some would add Irish); "English" excludes them.

I got into an interesting discussion one time with someone from the UK about the difference between being British and being English. Still not sure about that one.

How about the word "extraordinary?" We all know that it means "something great," but if you look at the word, "extra ordinary," who wants to be even more ordinary?

How many times have you heard someone mispronounce Princess Cruises' slogan: "EXcape the Ordinary?" I always thought the word was EScape.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain is made up of the following countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The citizens from these four countries together are all British in nationality. However the ones from England are also English, the ones from Scotland are also Scottish and so on. Therefore when you talk about British people you refer to those people living in the British Isles minus those in the Republic of Ireland (the southern part of Ireland) who won their full independence from Britain in the 1920s. Therefore although England forms the greatest part of Britain in terms of territory and population they are citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain as are the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish peoples. Finally therefore all English people are British but not all British people are English. I hope that makes it a little bit clearer.

Those passengers that when talking about anything British always seem to think they are only talking about England e.g. the English Prime Minister or English Parliament. In neither case of course do they exist, it is the British Prime Minister (who incidentally is a Scot) and the British Parliament as England doesn't have its own. I have even heard references to the English Army which of course should be called the British Army. It is also irritating to hear Queen Elizabeth 11 referred to as the Queen of England. She is the Head of State of the United Kingdoms of Britain and 15 other Commonwealth realms. England no longer has its own Queen. I could go on but I think you've got my gripe. You see I'm a Scot who lives six months in England and six months in the USA each year.

I love the way this thread has developed saying so much about so many gripes we all must share.

Canada is one of those 15 other Commonwealth countries that counts Queen Elizabeth 11 as Head of State.

Just so you know, the crew and officers lovingly refer to the ships as:

Statendam: The Stat

Rotterdam: The Rott

Volendam: The Volly

Westerdam: The Westie

Oosterdam: The Oostie

The Old Noordam: The Noordy

Those are all the nicknames in use right now.....cringe, cringe :)

Just so you know, the crew and officers lovingly refer to the ships as:

Statendam: The Stat

Rotterdam: The Rott

Volendam: The Volly

Westerdam: The Westie

Oosterdam: The Oostie

The Old Noordam: The Noordy

Those are all the nicknames in use right now.....cringe, cringe :)

I love it :) ... but that's only 6 ships. No Zuidy or Maas or Veen or Zaan or ... ?

I think calling HAL Holland is annoying also.

I overheard a discussion re "aft cabins", Aft is a direction, not a location.

For shame...Druke 1!

Yu may know "cruise ships" but not much about "boats", or boating?

From my 30ft Cruiser to 1 million$++ cabin cruisers/boats....(Tiger Woods has one), cabins at the "stern" or back...for those who are not in the know....are called or referred to as: AFT CABINS. In the very vast boating world (except yours: cruising) never heard of "stern cabin".

You are right though, "aft is a direction...to the rear....

Keep smiling,

Archived