Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

I get upset when reading there for their, or there for they’re. I don’t think they are spelling errors because they can appear many times in the same post.

There is the ship.

They left their towels on the chairs by the pool.

They’re having dinner with us.

let me ax u somthin bout dis boat.

another one that gets me

"My Moms is going on a cruise" rather than my Mom is going on a cruise.

Then of course there is "My Baby's Mama/Daddy" . Not really husband/wife, or boyfriend/girlfriend. But I guess it implies you have met at least once. *LOL*

The United Kingdom of Great Britain is made up of the following countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The citizens from these four countries together are all British in nationality. However the ones from England are also English, the ones from Scotland are also Scottish and so on. Therefore when you talk about British people you refer to those people living in the British Isles minus those in the Republic of Ireland (the southern part of Ireland) who won their full independence from Britain in the 1920s. Therefore although England forms the greatest part of Britain in terms of territory and population they are citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain as are the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish peoples. Finally therefore all English people are British but not all British people are English. I hope that makes it a little bit clearer.

Yes, but don't forget not all of us in Northern Ireland are British. :) We have the right to be Irish, British or both. I would never refer to someone in the north as British unless I knew them as I could cause offense. I might refer to them Northern Irish.

This brings up another niggly annoyance. When I am in the United States visiting family. I hate being told by strangers that my Irish accent is "cute" and being asked to "say something so they can hear it".

Lol....:D Most of time I blush and ask what they want me to say. My husband did say something similar at party at my Dad's in Hawaii. One my Dad's friends kept asking/pestering him about why he wasn't drinking whisky or beer. My husband kept trying to explain that he doesn't like the taste of alcohol. The man kept saying "....but your are Irish. All Irish people drink. Here have a drink." After 5 or 6 times of saying "No thank you.", he gave him smile and said "Not all Irish people drink. It is funny because I was told all Americans were fat and you are not." The man got the message and left him alone.

Yes, but don't forget not all of us in Northern Ireland are British. :) We have the right to be Irish, British or both. I would never refer to someone in the north as British unless I knew them as I could cause offense. I might refer to them Northern Irish.

This brings up another niggly annoyance. When I am in the United States visiting family. I hate being told by strangers that my Irish accent is "cute" and being asked to "say something so they can hear it".

I would certainly never ask you to just say something to hear your cute accent. *LOL* But I have met several people with Irish and British accents that had lovely voices and were a pleasure to listen too.

There are people who simply must chatter away during the lifeboat drill.

This happens even when the passengers around them are quiet and the captain has asked for silent cooperation.

What is so important that it can't wait? :confused:

Ruth...you've got me pegged a few times on this thread....:D :o .

Oops. Did I just put my foot in it? I honestly wasn't thinking of anyone on this board when I wrote that. I was thinking of salespeople, etc. It's so common to hear that these days.

To tell the truth, I notice the response "thank you" on this board, and don't remember seeing "no problem".

I worked with a grammarian who knew when to use "who" and when to use "whom."

One day a man called the office and grammarian John answered:

"To who am I speaking," the caller asked.

"It's whom." John replied.

" Listen Mr. Whom ....."

As someone who has been educated in grammar and diction, and who knows the difference between who and whom, shall and will, that and which, and so on (or as DW would say, a grammar weenie), I have enjoyed this thread. This particular post reminded me of a time when I was a young newspaper man working "the rim," which meant proof-reading copy and writing headlines. A more-experienced writer told me once, "When writing a headline, if 'whom' is the correct word....re-write the headline."

I am also stricken by mis-used apostrophes. One of my favorite mnemonics is:

It's "it's" when "it is."

It's "its" when it isn't.

A good way to tell the difference -- read a sentence containing "it's" as if it were "it is" and see the difference. A particularly annoying construction from real estate ads: "Country living at it's best."

... And don't get me started on hot dog's (hot dog's what?! And why is the dog so hot, and how did it come to own whatever it is....), etc., etc..... (OK, DW is leading me away slowly...)

Cheers,

Dave

It drives me NUTS when people refer to Holland America Line as Holland. My former TA used to do that all the time and I constantly corrected her. Another reason I stopped booking with her. It drove me nuts!

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. :D

There are people who simply must chatter away during the lifeboat drill.

This happens even when the passengers around them are quiet and the captain has asked for silent cooperation.

What is so important that it can't wait? :confused:

You are so right. I had forgotten about that one, but thanks for bringing up. It is especially good after we have practiced with Cameron on being quiet during the drill, then there are multiple people talking away like they just walked into the biggest party on board. Uggh!

Something that bugs me is people who have a number of different posting IDs, who seem to think that no one can tell they are the same person. Every discussion board (online business, Canadian politics, US politics, pets, collectibles, cruising) to which I belong has at least one of these. Drives me crazy. As far as I know, having more than one ID is forbidden on most boards, but it never seems to stop people.

RuthC, I totally agree about "Thank you" eliciting "You're welcome", NOT "no problem"

May4, you are correct -- that's very annoying. Our last cruise, the woman beside me would NOT shut up about how cold she was, and how she wanted to get inside, and she was freezing, and there was no need to make us stand outside FREEZING like this. I had to laugh -- we had lovely weather, about 65 F, sunny, and we were heading to Alaska. I bet she never set foor on deck for a week :D

The proper response to "Thank you" is "You're welcome"---not "No problem". :rolleyes:
Oh, girl after my own heart! This gets my goat, too. How badly I want to say, "Who suggested there was a problem??? I didn't say there was a problem. Do YOU have a problem?"

Another niggler for me is when a waiter/waitress in a casual restaurant comes to our table and says, How are you guys?

There is a man and a woman seated at the table and she gets the cold stare from me. Guys??? :(

Not to cause a stir here, and not that I have any problem with "You're Welcome," but "No Problem" is well accepted in Spanish, right?

The typical response to "Gracias" is "Denada", which I believe literally translates to "It is nothing," or in other words "No problem."

How about a response of "My pleasure," to "Thank You"? That seems perfectly reasonable to me as well.

Another niggler for me is when a waiter/waitress in a casual restaurant comes to our table and says, How are you guys?

There is a man and a woman seated at the table and she gets the cold stare from me. Guys??? :(

Also when a waitress takes your money and asks "Do You Need Any Change?" that really bugs me.

Not to cause a stir here, and not that I have any problem with "You're Welcome," but "No Problem" is well accepted in Spanish, right?

The typical response to "Gracias" is "Denada", which I believe literally translates to "It is nothing," or in other words "No problem."

How about a response of "My pleasure," to "Thank You"? That seems perfectly reasonable to me as well.

I have a good friend who comes from Germany. She always says "no problem" when I thank her for something. I have to admit that it kind of bugs me, I don't like the phrase either. In her case though I thought it might be something lost in translation!

Oh, girl after my own heart! This gets my goat, too. How badly I want to say, "Who suggested there was a problem??? I didn't say there was a problem. Do YOU have a problem?"

I thought it was just me who had a BIG bee in my bonnet about this one. "No problem" has always really bugged me too and even worse "No probs"..uck.

It drives me NUTS when people refer to Holland America Line as Holland. My former TA used to do that all the time and I constantly corrected her. Another reason I stopped booking with her. It drove me nuts!

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. :D

I know it's been discussed elsewhere but Netherlands is the country name NOT Holland. Holland is the name of a province of the Netherlands. I believe there are North Holland and South Holland provinces of that amazing country.

Archived