Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

I often wondered about that too... but see, some are "more an authority" here than others :rolleyes: and can't resist. Or they just like to see their post counts high, lol!!!

It cracks me up when I see it anymore - asked, answered - and answered and answered and answered .... as if the other posts are definitive enough! Though sometimes people do post at the same time.

Roboat and babyher - thanks for the huge LOL!!! Made my morning!

It depends on the nature of the question. Often the OP is looking for a range of responses or a preponderance of opinions. Even with "factual" answers. it helps to have more than one poster to verify the answer.

It depends on the nature of the question. Often the OP is looking for a range of responses or a preponderance of opinions. Even with "factual" answers. it helps to have more than one poster to verify the answer.

I understand that, but often times people are just repeating the same one word reponse...and I wonder how many times it needs to be repeated.

Often times, I think people don't take the time to read through an entire thread before responding.

Adding one's own personal or unique experience is one thing (and different than what I'm trying to convey), but if the question is along the lines of "What time does the Lido close for lunch?" and you see half a dozen people responding "2:00pm" does it really require much more? :confused:

I understand that, but often times people are just repeating the same one word reponse...and I wonder how many times it needs to be repeated.

Often times, I think people don't take the time to read through an entire thread before responding.

Adding one's own personal or unique experience is one thing (and different than what I'm trying to convey), but if the question is along the lines of "What time does the Lido close for lunch?" and you see half a dozen people responding "2:00pm" does it really require much more? :confused:

What annoys me is people who capitalize the boards with 5 bizillion posts and act as moderators. This is a forum for discussion and interaction, not just Q&A. People want to participate, let them talk..err...type.

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the use of "dinning" instead of "dining" as an annoyance. Surprise, surprise, when I received my invitation to the Mariner's brunch recently on the Westerdam my invitation said "kindly retain this invitation for your entrance to the Vista Dinning Room.":)

St. Louis Sal

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned the use of "dinning" instead of "dining" as an annoyance. Surprise, surprise, when I received my invitation to the Mariner's brunch recently on the Westerdam my invitation said "kindly retain this invitation for your entrance to the Vista Dinning Room.":)

St. Louis Sal

Unreal...why doesn't that surprise me with HAL:rolleyes: .

Donna, I've seen it as ms Shipname. The ms stands for motor ship. It's not a proper name in and of itself, but rather a nautical designation. I always use small letters for the ms.

I am so glad you posted this! I've been wondering for a very long time what "ms" stood for. Will you also tell me what "ss" means? Thanks!

Diane

[quote name=ekerr19;16278108

Often times' date=' I think people don't take the time to read through an entire thread before responding.

[/quote]

You are so right!!

I have noticed a few people here that suddenly chime in on a conversation -- make a response -- and have no idea actually what they are responding to as the topic has changed -- sometimes several times -- since the OP asked a question or made a comment.

St. Louis Sal

I just looked over our Mariner invitations from our 19 day and 7 day cruises.

Oh well - ours were worded differently -- we were told to report to the Explorer's Lounge for the awards ceramonies after which lunch would follow -- but no mention of "dinning" or "dining" room.

Glad you pointed that out to us.

I haven't read all of the posts but there are some classics here.

I think I'm going to name my next pet "Peeve" so I can say things like "my pet Peeve is peeing on my carpet." :p

Diane

Thanks, I need a good laugh every day, and just found it!:D

I believe ss also stands for sailing ship, I looked at the website for Star Clippers and didn't see it, but I remember on the Royal Clipper, they used SS for the designation.:)

Another Niggler....... ;)

Calling an Inspection of People, Customs.

Immigration Inspection is of people and their documents.

Customs is an Inspection of things people are carrying into the country with them.

Are you saying that I can't say "Bon Voyage on certain threads anymore because I am repeating myself??:D

KK - I would exclude wishing someone well or Bon Voyage as being repetitive... ;) unless you did it about 8 times to the same person, lol!!!

KK - I would exclude wishing someone well or Bon Voyage as being repetitive... ;) unless you did it about 8 times to the same person, lol!!!

Thank you for the exemption -- I always try to respond to Donna's Bon Voyages for people.

So far --- my posts to these don't keep repeating -- and repeating -- and repeating (I know this site has problems) -- But I don't do it intentionaly.

I just looked over our Mariner invitations from our 19 day and 7 day cruises.

Oh well - ours were worded differently -- we were told to report to the Explorer's Lounge for the awards ceramonies after which lunch would follow -- but no mention of "dinning" or "dining" room.

Glad you pointed that out to us.

Regarding typos, the best one I've ever seen was in the Princess Patter. They had a special sale on "Inch of God", not "Inch of Gold". I can't walk by one of those booths in atrium without remembering that typo.

And, I was always taught when putting things in quotes within a sentance, that the period or comma belongs on the outside of the quote. Has this rule changed recently? :confused:

I'm far from perfect, but there are some things that really bug me:

Cabin stewart

Boat instead of ship

Holland American

suppose to instead of supposed to

and yes, please someone, hire the Apostrophe Police!

And, I was always taught when putting things in quotes within a sentance, that the period or comma belongs on the outside of the quote. Has this rule changed recently? :confused:

I guess I should clarify that by saying:

I was taught that quoted phrases within a sentence do not require a period within the quotes if the phrase is ending the sentence. Has this changed?

Archived