Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

And, I was always taught when putting things in quotes within a sentance, that the period or comma belongs on the outside of the quote. Has this rule changed recently? :confused:

You are correct. Quoted material with quotation marks belong inside the end punctuation. The only exception is if the entire sentence is a quote.

Once an English teacher, always an English teacher. :)

I could use a couple of inches of God right now!!:) :D

I hate it when you have a specific question and someone takes the time to write a rude comment... Like how to get a certain amount of luggage onto the ship... and they take time out of their precious life to tell you to learn how to pack less! I have asked for help with my phone out of the country and I got the great advice to "not take my phone." It always interests me to see how many people will write in with absolutely nothing to say.

Ok... here's a niggly...

Hanger - something you hang clothes on

Hangar - where I park my airplane

But the dinning room definitely stands out the most on these boards.:)

I'm Nederlander and my first languages is Nederlands. Second languages is English. I'm not good in writing English and actually have not encounter problems chatting or replaying in topics like this one. You not hear me complain about the wrong pronouncing of the HAL ship names:D

Top ten languages in the world today

#1 Chinese (937,132,000)

# 2 Spanish (332,000,000)

#3 English (322,000,000)

#4 Bengali (189,000,000)

# 5 Hindi/Urdu (182,000,000)

# 6 Arabic (174,950,000)

# 7 Portuguese (170,000,000)

# 8 Russian (170,000,000)

# 9 Japanese (125,000,000)

# 10German (98,000,000)

World population latest estimate 6.725 Billion people

Minus English speakers 0.322 Billion people

People not speaking English as

primary language 6.403 Billion People

People speaking English as a

second language 0.750 Billion people

People not speaking English

as a primary or secondary

language 5.653 Billion people

You cane say to me I'm Dutch and speak Dutch, you cane say to me I'm from Holland (Holland = het lage land (low country) Actually I'm living in the largest province Zuid Holland in the second largest city Rotterdam.

But never said to me Holland is that in Germany or in Denmark:confused:

Back on topic.

People who are rude to crew and other passengers.

Passengers blocking hallways and corridors waiting to be the first in line to get of the DAM ship. Well they where ask not do so.

Complain about the food (well are you a better cook)

Complain about the decoration (have you're house a better decor)

Telling everyone that Royal Caribbean/other company is better well why are you sailing with HAL?

The most fun pronouncing of the HAL ship names so funny:D .

Greetings Ben.

;)

Hello Ben,

my spouse is Dutch (from Sittard region) and I am German (from Aachen), and I agree with you, how often people mix-up Dutch – Holland – and the Netherlands…..

But even almost every citizen of the Netherlands around the world, while asking him, will tell you “ich bin from Holland”……:confused:

And we both know very well, that the Dutch and German language is not really the same – nor easy to pronounce for both of us in a correct manner.

But it is unfortunately also true, that around the world, you will find quite a lot of people who completely mix-up European Countries / State‘s with they’re territorial Provinces, Bundesländer, Cantons, Departments and so on.

Or even more faulty, they use local regions to define Europe – such like Normandy in France.

Personally, I also do not like the common behavior of using abbreviation for everything.:(

Happy cruising to everybody

Gerd

Our marvelous cruises :

MS Ryndam – Wayfarer – March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford – September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars – July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean – March 2007

MS Volendam – Panama Canal – April 2008

116 days - 33'054 Nm

Future Cruise :

You are correct. Quoted material with quotation marks belong inside the end punctuation. The only exception is if the entire sentence is a quote.

Once an English teacher, always an English teacher. :)

I could use a couple of inches of God right now!!:) :D

I can't tell you how much you put my mind at ease! I get so tired of my sons coming home and telling me that the rules I learned in school have been changed regarding commas, paragraphs, etc. This old dog is tired of having to learn new tricks! :D

Thanks so much! Off to buy an Inch of God... :cool:

Do you have any pesty little expressions people use that are chalk on a blackboard for you?

Like calling a ship a boat?

Or referring to Holland America Line as Holland?

Holland is a country. Holland America Line is a cruise line. I know...picky, picky etc but it always grabs me when I read that. :D

Any get to you?

My pet peeve is when I say "thank you" and the other person says "no problem". I much prefer the reply to be "you're welcome" like in the olden days. I am showing my age!

I'm annoyed by people who place multiple countdown clocks side-by-side rather than stacked vertically, as this makes an extra-wide window which causes me to keep sliding back and forth to read the text.

I've noticed we agree on a lot of topics.

The officers don't care much about Holland versus Netherlands because their country is actually Nederland. The version of many European countries and cities we use is not the spelling or pronunciation used in those countries, i.e. Germany is Deutschland. I am not sure why we use alternates. :)

I thought of this thread earlier when I was on Facebook. There is a FB group of current and former HAL ships personnel, staff, shoppies, etc. and I read a post asking if there was anyone currently on the "Toastie Oostie" in fact several people referred to the Oosterdam in that manner, so I assumed it was a crew thing... but boy let them try that on this forum, lol!!!! They'd be tarred and feathered!

Personally, it never bothered me that people have nicknames for the ships...

I thought of this thread earlier when I was on Facebook. There is a FB group of current and former HAL ships personnel, staff, shoppies, etc. and I read a post asking if there was anyone currently on the "Toastie Oostie" in fact several people referred to the Oosterdam in that manner, so I assumed it was a crew thing... but boy let them try that on this forum, lol!!!! They'd be tarred and feathered!

Personally, it never bothered me that people have nicknames for the ships...

Toastie Oostie?? That is new one for me.

Toastie -- ship hot and everyone is toasting -- where I live that means HOT!! ??

OR the crew "Toasts" those who don't leave tips??

What does it mean??

Archived