Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

Yes, but don't forget not all of us in Northern Ireland are British. :) We have the right to be Irish, British or both. I would never refer to someone in the north as British unless I knew them as I could cause offense. I might refer to them Northern Irish. ".

I thought it was probably worth expanding the above for those (and I doubt if there are many of you that interested!!) that would like a further explanation of this interesting and somewhat unique citizenship phenomena.

People from Northern Ireland are British citizens on the same basis as people from any other part of the United Kingdom.

The 1998 Belfast Agreement between the British and Irish governments provides that:

it is the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British, or both, as they may so choose, and accordingly [the two governments] confirm that their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments and would not be affected by any future change in the status of Northern Ireland.

As a result of the Agreement, the Constitution of Ireland was amended so that people born in Northern Ireland are entitled to be Irish citizens on the same basis as people from any other part of the island of Ireland.

Neither government, however, extends its citizenship to all persons born in Northern Ireland. Both governments exclude some people born in Northern Ireland (e.g. certain persons born in Northern Ireland neither of whose parents is a UK or Irish national).

In general, Protestants in Northern Ireland see themselves primarily as being British, while Roman Catholics regard themselves primarily as being Irish. Several studies and surveys performed between 1971 and 2006 show this.

This does not however, account for the complex identities within Northern Ireland, given that many of the population regard themselves as "Ulster" or "Northern Irish", either primarily, or as a secondary identity. A 1999 survey showed that 51% of Protestants felt "Not at all Irish" and 41% only "weakly Irish"

Not to cause a stir here, and not that I have any problem with "You're Welcome," but "No Problem" is well accepted in Spanish, right?

The typical response to "Gracias" is "Denada", which I believe literally translates to "It is nothing," or in other words "No problem."

How about a response of "My pleasure," to "Thank You"? That seems perfectly reasonable to me as well.

This is common in French too - de rien (It is nothing) or je t'en prie (my pleasure) or even pas de quoi (don't mention it).

In whatever language and usng whatever phrasing, what matters is that we are responding with courtesy.

When you think about it, many of our courtesy phrases are figurative terms - "How do you do? " makes little sense (How do you do what?) but

is still considered the most approprate social greeting in more formal settings.

Another niggler for me is when a waiter/waitress in a casual restaurant comes to our table and says, How are you guys?

There is a man and a woman seated at the table and she gets the cold stare from me. Guys??? :(

We don't have that problem here in the south - it's always

"y'all". :)

As in "Kin ah hep y'all?" :)

:) one of our neighbors is from down south and when we bump into eachother and chat , when we finish she will say "Be sure and tell your wife I said HEY" :)

Another expression I think is funny and have actually used is after making a comment she will add "I'm just sayin is all"

Also when a waitress takes your money and asks "Do You Need Any Change?" that really bugs me.

See that I can understand . Most times the check arrives in one of those "pleather" folders. And when you hand it back to them with your money they don't know how much is in there .

On occasion I only have big bills with me , so I would hope she would ask if I want change and not assume I am gving her a $70 tip for a $30 check :(

they don't know how much is in there

And they open the folder to take the cash out. That tells them whether or not you need change. IMHO, unless a diner says "That's fine, no change needed" BEFORE the server asks, the server should return the change. Then the diner can leave a tip. To ask "Do you need change?" is IMHO angling for a tip.

I'm jus sayin, is all. :D

We don't have that problem here in the south - it's always

"y'all". :)

Not an annoyance exactly, but I can't help laughing every time. This phrase just sounds SO absurd to my Canadian ears! "How're all y'all?"...I want to respond "Fine thanks, how are all of you??":D

Happy Sails,

Annette

And they open the folder to take the cash out. That tells them whether or not you need change. IMHO, unless a diner says "That's fine, no change needed" BEFORE the server asks, the server should return the change. Then the diner can leave a tip. To ask "Do you need change?" is IMHO angling for a tip.

I'm jus sayin, is all. :D

I agree....it's totally asking for a tip.

I agree....it's totally asking for a tip.

I agree, and will usually decrease the tip.

(Alas, so many people to train. I just don't see how I can get to them all.) ;)

Now my PP is when a waiter wants to remove your plate and asks, "Are you still working on that?," as though I were a jackal tugging at a buffalo carcass. I usually snarl and nip them on the arm.

Hey, jhannah, maybe she was calling you a Hun. Did you have that weird hat on again? :D

Just paid two bills over the phone

first off ..........."Press 1 for English"

Secondly........there is never a number to press for the department or situation I need to deal with , so they reapeat the whole menu 2 or 3 more times before they finally put a human being on the phone

Secondly........there is never a number to press for the department or situation I need to deal with , so they reapeat the whole menu 2 or 3 more times before they finally put a human being on the phone

You got a real, live person??? :eek: Wow.

Which leads directly to "Your call is important to us. Please hold." (and hold, and hold, and hold, and ....):rolleyes:

Just paid two bills over the phone

first off ..........."Press 1 for English"

"Please bear with Me,My Computer Is Running Real Slow Today"

I don't got no problems with any of youse (or you's) guys. I hope your having a good time with this thread, or maybe there is other thing's to talk about. Anyways, I will move on. ;)

Often, when I tell people that my father was born in Denmark, they ask me if I speak Dutch. :mad:

Let's hope that HAL doesn't come out with a ship named the Heindam...

I don't got no problems with any of youse (or you's) guys. I hope your having a good time with this thread, or maybe there is other thing's to talk about. Anyways, I will move on. ;)

Often, when I tell people that my father was born in Denmark, they ask me if I speak Dutch. :mad:

Let's hope that HAL doesn't come out with a ship named the Heindam...

Heinekendam;)

Not an annoyance exactly, but I can't help laughing every time. This phrase just sounds SO absurd to my Canadian ears! "How're all y'all?"...I want to respond "Fine thanks, how are all of you??":D

Happy Sails,

Annette

"Y'all" means a small or exclusive group (two or more); "All Y'all" means a large or inclusive group.

Y'all is never used to mean just one person, except by people who are trying to fake southern dialect.:)

I wasn't going to add to this but my biggest pet peeve here just popped up--when someone answers an OP's question and it's correct, why do people pile on and reply with the same answer? And it's not because they're happening at the same time. I find it insulting and redundant:(

Archived