Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

I wasn't going to add to this but my biggest pet peeve here just popped up--when someone answers an OP's question and it's correct, why do people pile on and reply with the same answer? And it's not because they're happening at the same time. I find it insulting and redundant:(

Trying to increase their post count??:D

I wasn't going to add to this but my biggest pet peeve here just popped up--when someone answers an OP's question and it's correct, why do people pile on and reply with the same answer? And it's not because they're happening at the same time. I find it insulting and redundant:(

I often wondered about that too... but see, some are "more an authority" here than others :rolleyes: and can't resist. Or they just like to see their post counts high, lol!!!

It cracks me up when I see it anymore - asked, answered - and answered and answered and answered .... as if the other posts are definitive enough! Though sometimes people do post at the same time.

Roboat and babyher - thanks for the huge LOL!!! Made my morning!

Because they may respond when they read the first post and have not read all the other posts in the thread. I don't usually read the whole thread to see if someone may have answered with the same information already.

I often wondered about that too... but see, some are "more an authority" here than others :rolleyes: and can't resist. Or they just like to see their post counts high, lol!!!

It cracks me up when I see it anymore - asked, answered - and answered and answered and answered .... as if the other posts are definitive enough! Though sometimes people do post at the same time.

Roboat and babyher - thanks for the huge LOL!!! Made my morning!

Hi Laura :)

We have a woman at work that HAS TO jump into every conversation around her , wheter its directed to her or not. Just has to add to it *LOL*

If you and I were talking and i said "Hi Laura , How is your husband doing, I haven't seen him lately" Before you can open your mouth to answer, she will chime in "I saw him at the super market last week and he said his back hurt" *LOL*

Hi Laura :)

We have a woman at work that HAS TO jump into every conversation around her , wheter its directed to her or not. Just has to add to it *LOL*

If you and I were talking and i said "Hi Laura , How is your husband doing, I haven't seen him lately" Before you can open your mouth to answer, she will chime in "I saw him at the super market last week and he said his back hurt" *LOL*

ACK!!! That would drive me nuts!!! We had an interupter, but we ignored and talked over her, she finally started to get the hint. ;)

Secondly........there is never a number to press for the department or situation I need to deal with , so they reapeat the whole menu 2 or 3 more times before they finally put a human being on the phone
Try pressing 0 once or twice, even if that's not offered as an option. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

That annoys me too ... yet sometimes I feel compelled to put my 2-cents in if I feel that the other answer(s) were incomplete in some significant aspect. Sometimes a poster will ask two or three questions, and the replies all start talking about one of them and ignoring the others!

Here's an easy way to remember: Replace the who/whom with he/ him (or they/them) and see which makes sense. If him or them makes sense, use whom (notice that all end in "M".) If He or they make sense, use Whom.

In the example above, we know whom is correct, because we would say "to him", not "to he".

Some other examples: Who will go with me? (He will go with me)

I spoke with whomever answered. (I spoke with him)

Whoever answers will receive a prize. (He will receive a prize)

I once tried to explain a similar technique to a friend who constantly mixed up its and it's. I told him to replace the contraction it's with its full form of it is, and then say a sentence both ways. Whichever way made sense would reveal the correct one to use:

The dog scratched it is ear. (Incorrect)

The dog scratched its ear. (Correct)

He could not grasp what I was saying and instead looked at me like I was crazy!

The English language is full of so many strange and contradictory rules that I am amazed that anyone can get it figured out. As I was typing the above, I just thought of another oddity. Why is it that "incorrect" means the opposite of its root word but "invaluable" means above and beyond its root word? Just a thought.

Try pressing 0 once or twice, even if that's not offered as an option. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does.

That annoys me too ... yet sometimes I feel compelled to put my 2-cents in if I feel that the other answer(s) were incomplete in some significant aspect. Sometimes a poster will ask two or three questions, and the replies all start talking about one of them and ignoring the others!

Hmmmm I never heard of that

I will have to give it a try next time .....Thanks :)

John -

I agree, it's the posts that are along the lines of, "Do we get shampoo in our non Suite cabin" There is a reply, "Yes, all cabins have shampoo, conditioner, body lotion and shower gel, hand soap and previously a citrus slice soap, but that type of soap is no longer offered/available. All products replenished daily/as needed"

Pretty concise response - not much more needs to be said, maybe perhaps, "boy I wish they'd bring that citrus slice soap back"... but here comes a few others still responding to the very same question - maybe they just don't bother to read the other responses, who knows - but it bugs me sometimes. Not as much as other things here do, but bugs a bit, nonetheless. :)

When someone asks several questions and different posters respond to them - or ensuing questions result, that doesn't bother me at all. It's just the basic "asked/answered" that I'm talking about..

"Apostrophe's on plural's."

Some sort of epidemic. Everyone is doing this -- everywhere. Don't know why.

PS Sorry if repeated, didn't read all these, but this one is too widespread -- even at the fanciest restaurants you see "Closed on Monday's" grrrrrr :>) .

So referring to cabins would I say VAs and SYs etc? That just doesn't seem right somehow! :)

If you're saying: "Wow, my VA's the best!", or "My VA's decor is drab", right on. :)

:) ;) You didn't say "(the) cabin's"

This is a peeve directed more at professional things, not really casual message boards, but wonder how rich we'd be if we had a dollar for every time we see this in print or on fancy signs each and every day.

If you're saying: "Wow, my VA's the best!", or "My VA's decor is drab", right on. :)
No, not possessive, plural: "The VDs have deeper verandahs than the VAs or VBs." (Yes, I know I could avoid the issue by saying "The VD cabins have deeper verandahs than the VA or VB cabins.")

We are in complete agreement re the use of apostrophes (and misuse), but I am afraid we are losing the battle.

There was a columnist (Herb Caen) for the San Francisco Chronicle who took apostrophe misuse personally, and formed the "apostrophe police". I am not a charter member, but I did join early in the campaign.

I've heard "y'allz" in reference to a larger group. But I thought that "y'all" was occasionally used with an individual?

"Y'all" means a small or exclusive group (two or more); "All Y'all" means a large or inclusive group.

Y'all is never used to mean just one person, except by people who are trying to fake southern dialect.:)

"Invaluable" means (or at least originally meant) something like "value so great that one can't quantify it". So although it is not exactly synonymous with "valuable", it at least points in the same direction :)

Why is it that "incorrect" means the opposite of its root word but "invaluable" means above and beyond its root word? Just a thought.

I've heard "y'allz" in reference to a larger group. But I thought that "y'all" was occasionally used with an individual?

Having been raised in the south by Southern parents, grandparents & great-grandparents, and having lived in many communities in the South in various Southern states, I have never heard y'all used to mean one person. Southerners know that y'all means "you all. (Sometimes y'all is used when addressing one person, but it means "you and those close to you." I might meet someone and say "Hey, how are y'all doing; havent seen ya'll in a while'", but it means you and your family or you and your spouse, etc, though only the one person is phyically present. If I just want to ask about that one person, I might say "How ya doing?" (or the conventional "How sre you?"

I personally have never heard y'alls used for a large group (unless the term is possesive e.g. Let's go to y'all's house). Usually we just say y'all for any size group, or use "all y'all" to mean a more inclusive group. For example, I might be talking to a couple at a party and say "Y'all are invited to my house later" (that means just the couple I am talking to). If I say "all y'all are invited", that means you're extending the invitation to everyone at the party.

Hope this is helpful to y'all.:) :D

Donna, I've seen it as ms Shipname. The ms stands for motor ship. It's not a proper name in and of itself, but rather a nautical designation. I always use small letters for the ms.

Ha! I really WAS lost - the correct one wasn't even on my list. Thanks for setting me straight on this, Jim. I shall err no more. That is, if the message actually makes it from the brain to the fingertips. :)

Archived