Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

"Debarkation" used instead of disembarkation.

Sounds like something you do to a dog!

Both the Columbia Guide and the Oxford dictionary say that the two terms (debark, disembark) are synonymous and interchangeable and that either is correct.

I guess the only difference (besides personal preference) is that debark can also mean to remove the bark from a tree.:)

This one may be cold and heartless so be prepared. 3 out of 4 individuals that come up to talk with us or say Hi to my son's service dog tell us about their dog that died. It goes like this - "We had a dog named ______ that just died 2 weeks ago" or "I used to have a dog that looked just like Werin before he died" or "She is so beautiful and reminds me of ______ that died last year"

I get really good at, "Oh, that's so sad" or "I'm sorry to hear that". On a cruise it can get up to 20-30x per day.

So that's a service dog secret - finally revealed.

If I say anything, I say "What a beutiful dog." Sorry others don't.

Sure; just name the time (dam ship) and place!

Rotterdam, Lisboa, 4/11/09 OR Lisbon 4/11/08. What's your favoite drink?:confused: Or yer or yur if u prfer.

DEFINITELY TOO MUCH BEER. FORGOT TO PROOFREAD MY OWN WORK!

LlSBOA 11/4/08, Europe month before day!

What century?:confused:

I went to school about the same time (I think) but found a girlfriend that helped me!:D Her grade went from A to B, but mine went from B to A.:)

Sorry, must have had too much beer.:p Mine went from C to B. (Sorry M.)

However! My junior year in Hi school we HAD to pass a spelling test of the 100 most misspelled words in the English language. A few:

to, too, two

by, bye, buy

their,there,they're

58 years, and getting worse.

Less than perfect = study for next week!

Perfect = do anything you wish, if you're quite. I learned a lot of chess during part of the time.:)

Never pass = take the course next year!:eek:

Those errors are increasing and bug me no end.

People who use "FLL" when they are referring to the lovely city of Fort Lauderdale!

FLL is the airport, not the city.

I don't see people saying they visited BOS. :p

Actually we used both Airport codes & City codes when I was in the Airline Travel Business...When sending telexes to book a HTL (hotel ) for a PSGR. (passenger) in a particular city we used the city code such as BOS for Boston & FLL for Ft. Lauderdale...

CHI is Chicago (city) but the airport code is ORD & MDW

PAR is Paris (city) but the Airport code was ORY & LBG..

NYC is New York City but the Airport codes are LGA,JFK & EWR

LON is the city but the Airports are LHR & LGW

I do say I'm visiting BOS, YUL, PAR or FLL..My next cruise will be from FLL to SAN R.T....It is the same as using acronym's in posts, such as DW, DH, LOL...A poster on this thread mentioned that she objected to their usage.. However, these codes or abbreviations are not made up by posters on this board..They are published & accepted acronyms used on the net, in many different commercial areas, the military etc..There are over 600,000 in use today..Here is one published source..

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/

GEO cities has a better WEB site of abbreviations.. http://www.geocities.com/eedd88/abbreviations.html?20084#A

We had books with abbreviations, that were to be memorized as part of our training..I still catch myself using them..Will never forget when first starting in the business, I blocked FOUR seats for "2 JONES & 2 FNLAT" ..The booking AGT didn't have the 2 Jones first names so they put on the Res.(reservation) FNLAT which meant "First Names Later" .. Fortunately it was caught before psgrs. were told the Flight was waitlisted..You can be sure I carefully studied the codes & abbreviations every nhight after work..

JMO..Cheers..:) Betty.

Mischevious (long E, 4 syllables)

I wasn't sure if you mean that this is correct or incorrect.

At any rate, to correct or confirm, the proper spelling and pronunciation is

mis·chie·vous MIS-chuh-vuhs (see dictionary.com) accent on first syllable, three syllables

This word is misspelled and mispronounced so frequently that when I pronounce this word correctly, people often react as if I were the one making a mistake.

Rotterdam, Lisboa, 4/11/09 OR Lisbon 4/11/08. What's your favoite drink?:confused: Or yer or yur if u prfer.

DEFINITELY TOO MUCH BEER. FORGOT TO PROOFREAD MY OWN WORK!

LlSBOA 11/4/08, Europe month before day!

So sorry! If it's 04 NOV 08, we'll be on Veendam r/t Tumpu, FLO. The childbride and I will do a Wang Wang to your health!

John, you made me laugh out loud....and I'm sitting here by myself!

So sorry Ma'am!;)

Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur.

(Oh! Was I speaking Latin again? Silly me. Sometimes it just sort of slips out.)

"Extra" in Latin means outside of or beyond: you can see this in words like extraterrestrial, extracurricular or extraneous. So "extraordinary" fits the pattern quite well.

In English, "extra" as an adjective means "addidtional," and as an adverb it means "very." So, literally, the word "extraordinary" would mean "very ordinary." No wonder people find it difficult to learn English.

What century?:confused:

I went to school about the same time (I think) but found a girlfriend that helped me! Her grade went from A to B, but mine went from B to A.:)

Well, since this is the 21st century (or hadn't you noticed?) then obviously I was referring to the 20th century.:D

Why in England rather than Scotland?:confused:

I did not know much of what you posted above, and doubt my daughter does either after living in Surrey 5 years, during which we visited 5 (DW{sorry}more)times. (OH:eek: period outside!) Thanks for the information.

I, too, was born in Scotland but lived in Gloucestershire (England) for several years before moving to the U.S. We Scots do tend to have wanderlust in our souls: think Captain James Cook; Robert Louis Stevenson just to name a couple. Oh, and what about John Paul Jones, father of the U.S. Navy? He was born in Kilmarnock, Scotland!

Paul was so right about the confusion between Great Britain, England, etc. For example Queen Elizabeth is often referred to as Queen Elizabeth II, however in Scotland she is simply Queen Eliizabeth I since we never had a Queen named Elizabeth before Elizabeth Windsor inherited the throne of what is now Great Britain, or the United Kingdom.

Valerie:)

The one I hate alot is when people say alot.

Another quirky pet peeve of mine is when women say, "Ewww, stop staring at my papayas, you fat old man!" when they really mean, "Hey there, mister. You're pretty hot! Wanna have my babies?"

My really pet-peeve is when someone says, "I don't know where he is now. Him and Earl were down in the holler looking at a dead rat in a ditch," instead of, "I don't know where he is now. He and Earl were down in the holler looking at a dead rat in a ditch."

Or... "Wanda wrapped up that left-over scrapple for my sister and I," instead of "Wanda wrapped up that left-over scrapple for my sister and me." (And Earl if he wants some. He eats it alot!)

"Him and Ronnie Aycock got together on that third turn and now Ronnie's rear end is loose," is just as bad.

Actually we used both Airport codes & City codes when I was in the Airline Travel Business...When sending telexes to book a HTL (hotel ) for a PSGR. (passenger) in a particular city we used the city code such as BOS for Boston & FLL for Ft. Lauderdale...

CHI is Chicago (city) but the airport code is ORD & MDW

PAR is Paris (city) but the Airport code was ORY & LBG..

NYC is New York City but the Airport codes are LGA,JFK & EWR

LON is the city but the Airports are LHR & LGW

I do say I'm visiting BOS, YUL, PAR or FLL..My next cruise will be from FLL to SAN R.T....It is the same as using acronym's in posts, such as DW, DH, LOL...A poster on this thread mentioned that she objected to their usage.. However, these codes or abbreviations are not made up by posters on this board..They are published & accepted acronyms used on the net, in many different commercial areas, the military etc..There are over 600,000 in use today..Here is one published source..

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/

GEO cities has a better WEB site of abbreviations.. http://www.geocities.com/eedd88/abbreviations.html?20084#A

We had books with abbreviations, that were to be memorized as part of our training..I still catch myself using them..Will never forget when first starting in the business, I blocked FOUR seats for "2 JONES & 2 FNLAT" ..The booking AGT didn't have the 2 Jones first names so they put on the Res.(reservation) FNLAT which meant "First Names Later" .. Fortunately it was caught before psgrs. were told the Flight was waitlisted..You can be sure I carefully studied the codes & abbreviations every nhight after work..

JMO..Cheers..:) Betty.

Well, just as some here don't like using shortened versions of the ships' names, I don't like people using some industry shorthand for Fort Lauderdale! And being from Boston, I would never say "I'm going to BOS."

I also agree with the poster who gets annoyed when people use apostrophes to make a plural noun. WRONG and bothersome!

As far as the misuse of "I," I find it comes from people who feel "I" is always proper. NO -- not when it is the object of a preposition.

The way to test it -- take out the other person and see how it sounds.

The man gave the ticket to Bob and me.

The man gave the ticket to me.

It would sound silly saying "The man gave the ticket to I."

Bob and I took the ticket.

I took the ticket.

It would sound silly saying "Me took the ticket."

When people do a "Live From The Blah Blah Dam"

These passengers are kind enough to let us all take the cruise journey with them,while they pay .75 cents a minute.

Why do people ask stupid questions of the poster?

1. "Is There A Guy Named John Still Working There"

2. "Do they have bacon in the mornings"?

3. "Can You Go Up to Cabin Blah Blah And Tell me What It Looks Like"?

Just enjoy the free ride and stop with the inane questions.

When people do a "Live From The Blah Blah Dam"

These passengers are kind enough to let us all take the cruise journey with them,while they pay .75 cents a minute.

Why do people ask stupid questions of the poster?

1. "Is There A Guy Named John Still Working There"

2. "Do they have bacon in the mornings"?

3. "Can You Go Up to Cabin Blah Blah And Tell me What It Looks Like"?

Just enjoy the free ride and stop with the inane questions.

Oh I hate that too! It happens so often.

I wasn't sure if you mean that this is correct or incorrect.

At any rate, to correct or confirm, the proper spelling and pronunciation is

mis·chie·vous MIS-chuh-vuhs (see dictionary.com) accent on first syllable, three syllables

This word is misspelled and mispronounced so frequently that when I pronounce this word correctly, people often react as if I were the one making a mistake.

3 syllables = good; 4 syllables = codyody wanting to smack the 4-syllable-speaker on the forehead. :o

Sorry I wasn't clear, I write the way I think (more quickly than my fingers type).

Well, since this is the 21st century (or hadn't you noticed?) then obviously I was referring to the 20th century.:D

I, too, was born in Scotland but lived in Gloucestershire (England) for several years before moving to the U.S. We Scots do tend to have wanderlust in our souls: think Captain James Cook; Robert Louis Stevenson just to name a couple. Oh, and what about John Paul Jones, father of the U.S. Navy? He was born in Kilmarnock, Scotland!

Paul was so right about the confusion between Great Britain, England, etc. For example Queen Elizabeth is often referred to as Queen Elizabeth II, however in Scotland she is simply Queen Eliizabeth I since we never had a Queen named Elizabeth before Elizabeth Windsor inherited the throne of what is now Great Britain, or the United Kingdom.

Valerie:)

Thank you Valerie for adding that and reinforcing one of my pet gripes and emphasising that not all Scots remain living in Scotland.

Indeed Scots went abroad for a variety of reasons, exploration, missionary work, study, travel and exploration, exporting (Whisky) and "Gowf" (Golf) to nearly every country in the world. It seems that you and me are not unique in that respect!!

Great talented men from my home country of Scotland invented, amongst other things, the television, the telephone, penicillin while working outside their country of birth.

by the holier than thou critics discussing bringing liquor on board. On this and every ships tread. If I want to bring a bottle or 2 on board and pay the extra for a balcony, they can sit in their inside cabin reading the passenger rules to their hearts content while drinking $70 Grey Goose.

Archived