Niggly little Annoyances.........

sail7seas

I may be the only one who notices this, but those who say "um..." before they proceed to disagree with another poster. Usually worded in such a way to make the other poster feel stupid for their opinion. It grates on me, and IMO only adding the word "duh" could make it more rude.

Also agree with "loose" instead of "lose", "went missing", and "stewart" instead of "steward"

Well, since this is the 21st century (or hadn't you noticed?) then obviously I was referring to the 20th century.:D

I, too, was born in Scotland but lived in Gloucestershire (England) for several years before moving to the U.S. We Scots do tend to have wanderlust in our souls: think Captain James Cook; Robert Louis Stevenson just to name a couple. Oh, and what about John Paul Jones, father of the U.S. Navy? He was born in Kilmarnock, Scotland!

Paul was so right about the confusion between Great Britain, England, etc. For example Queen Elizabeth is often referred to as Queen Elizabeth II, however in Scotland she is simply Queen Eliizabeth I since we never had a Queen named Elizabeth before Elizabeth Windsor inherited the throne of what is now Great Britain, or the United Kingdom.

Valerie:)

If this is a niggle, then it won't count as a hijack, right?:D

I was taught in school that Capt. Cook as born in Yorkshire. I just Googled him, and see that he was. His dad was a Scot, although his mum was from Thornaby-on-Tees. So, I'm sorry, but you Scots can't have him!

Lisa:)

If this is a niggle, then it won't count as a hijack, right?:D

I was taught in school that Capt. Cook as born in Yorkshire. I just Googled him, and see that he was. His dad was a Scot, although his mum was from Thornaby-on-Tees. So, I'm sorry, but you Scots can't have him!

Lisa:)

I'm sorry, you are quite right and I imagine that I was thinking of John Paul Jones when I misspoke (is that a word?). Anyway, he was born 27th October, 1728 at at Marton, North Yorkshire. Now, why don't you do yourself a favor and instead of just Googling him pick up a copy of "Captain James Cook, a biography by Richard Hough". I can promise you that it is a fascinating read about a truly fascinating man. I am not a huge biography fan but this book was hard to put down.

As for us Scots not being able to have him, that's okay we have tons more expatriate pioneers we can bore you with.:D

by the holier than thou critics discussing bringing liquor on board. On this and every ships tread. If I want to bring a bottle or 2 on board and pay the extra for a balcony, they can sit in their inside cabin reading the passenger rules to their hearts content while drinking $70 Grey Goose.

Amen -- Been Drinking Grey Goose since 98. Grey Goose drinkers unite!

I may be the only one who notices this, but those who say "um..." before they proceed to disagree with another poster. Usually worded in such a way to make the other poster feel stupid for their opinion. It grates on me, and IMO only adding the word "duh" could make it more rude.

Also agree with "loose" instead of "lose", "went missing", and "stewart" instead of "steward"

Who would have guessed I would side with an English prof?:confused:

I belonged to Toastmasters in a small town, and we had the 'ah' of the day bone (a real rib bone, painted, with your name!). Pres. Kennedy beat most of our speakers!:eek: (Have ah U ah ever heard ah ah any ah speech?:D At least it taught me to be careful when I spoke to more than 1 person at a time.:rolleyes:

We had one member witha 3rd grade education in Mexico, who made all of us who had been to college go the dictionary after his prepared speeches.

As for us Scots not being able to have him, that's okay we have tons more expatriate pioneers we can bore you with.:D

AND, the gift of God, the recipe for your beverage to warm the soul on a cold day!:) :) :p

I've enjoyed reading this thread and I agree with many of you concerning life's little annoyances. Talking about the room stewart does set my teeth on edge. However, I confess that all this time I thought "dinning" and "alot" were just typos. I didn't realize people meant to type those words. Oh well.

St. Louis Sal

Valerie,

if Murray loses to Nadal he is Scottish - if on the other hand [and by some miracle] he wins, he is of course British!!! We are not daft!

Teresa

oh and you try calling Queen Mary Two a cruise ship and you have to walk the gangplank - she is of course an ocean liner!!

Oh and I can't stand overuse of exclamation marks tee hee!!!!

Valerie,

if Murray loses to Nadal he is Scottish - if on the other hand [and by some miracle] he wins, he is of course British!!! We are not daft!

Teresa

oh and you try calling Queen Mary Two a cruise ship and you have to walk the gangplank - she is of course an ocean liner!!

Oh and I can't stand overuse of exclamation marks tee hee!!!!

Teresa...I can assure you that Andy Murray always calls himself a Scot, something he is very proud of, and never to my knowledge has he referred to himself as a Brit although of course he is one. Once, a year or so ago, an American interviewer asked him something and referred to him as English and he gave a very feisty reaction!! I'm watching him as we talk and he is winning against Nadal 6-2 and is leading in the second set 6-5 having just broken service. It's a classic game and I'm spell bound.

Oh Teresa and Paul, I am so sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about, although since Teresa mentioned Roger Federer I'm guessing it's Tennis. Takes me back to my high school days at Ribston Hall High School for Girls (in Gloucester), when I tried out for the Tennis Team. I was so absolutely awful but they were short of volunteers so they made me the Umpire - what on earth were they thinking (or were they?).

Anyway, I am a proud American citizen but a Scot by birth and will always be a proud Scot and just to prove it I'm off to pour myself a wee dram and will be toasting both of you and yours.

I'm nae awa tae stay awa, I'm nae awa tae leave ye, I'm nae awa tae stay awa an I'll be back tae see ye.

Valerie:D

Paul,

I'm well aware that he always calls himself a Scot that is fine by me as I'd rather support a gentleman such as Roger Federer any day of the week- it was a joke and not meant to be taken seriously.

Teresa

Oh dear.....LOL

One of my favorite misuses of the English language occurred when I was in San Diego a few years ago. I parked my car in the hotel garage (Hyatt), and as I pulled to the exit, the parking attendant asked if I was "departuring." Before I could stop myself, I said, "No, I'm not, but I am leaving." I think the parking attendant was stumped.

So, yes, one of my "favorite" little joys is made-up words. I collect them (in a journal). Just so long as someone else has made them up.

Departuring. Sheesh.

Archived