Your 1A Stateroom Guide (Everything 1A)

ebandive

I had one of the 1As on Fantasy in May, on Empress (E183). I liked the location. Seems like it would be awfully cramped with another bed on the floor, though. It's a small cabin.

On the Fantasy-class ships, ALL 1As are one bed on the floor and one bunk bed. That's the easy class to understand. ;)

Where it gets confusing is the other classes that have "regular" 1A cabins (one bed, one bunk), AND have 1A cabins that actually have porthole windows, AND have porthole cabins that are NOT 1As!

And, of course, this all started back when there were 1A cabins on ships that had two big picture windows and some had 1 bed/1 bunk and some had 2 beds!!

At least I think that's how it all began. That's why a "special" thread was needed to sort it all out. The generic deck plans are not accurate.

And, of course, this all started back when there were 1A cabins on ships that had two big picture windows and some had 1 bed/1 bunk and some had 2 beds!!

At least I think that's how it all began. That's why a "special" thread was needed to sort it all out. The generic deck plans are not accurate.

lololol Triumph class still has these cabins as 1As with two big windows, but has one upper and one lower so they were not changed to 6Bs, like on conquest class. Confused? thats how Carnival likes it. :D

lololol Triumph class still has these cabins as 1As with two big windows, but has one upper and one lower so they were not changed to 6Bs, like on conquest class. Confused? thats how Carnival likes it. :D

yes, still! LOL but be that as it may, I'll be booking an M1-18 on the Fantasy whether it is a 1A or PT

Just off the Breeze these rooms were over the Ovation theatre definitely heard all the shows and practices. And heard lights being adjusted, but did not lose sleep over it. However first few nights could hear the waves hit the ship and it would vibrate up thru the open space. So it sounded like someone was pounding on pipes.

Plenty or storage and room was comfortable. Hurt my foot on shore and could not climb bunk so my husband would just bring down the mattress to floor it fit between bed and dresser area just fine. Then we would put it up in the morning.

Great way to get on a new ship for quite a bit less money. Next time will go for the Port hole rooms.

M-18 has cabins above and below it. You will hear the rumble as the ship comes into port but that can be heard almost every where on the ship. We have no problem with inside cabins- no windows or port holes. Like to save the $$$ with those but last weeks cruise we had a window in M44 and will have a window August 27th in E180. We had M44 because we booked Sunday & ship left Wednesday and so didn't have a choice of cabins.

But E180 is across from the elevators that literally go to the buffet (deck 10) in the back of the ship and on deck 9 it is a close easy walk to our favorite place on the ship, the Serenity Deck. Cabins in the front of the ship are too far away from where we like to be.

Is room 2206 on the Triumph considered a 1a?

No, it is an interior room with 2 beds that will convert to a king - it would be a 4A or maybe a 4B

Edited - it's a 4B

Edited by anjoliza

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, a 1A with portholes and also a sofa bed that can be pushed next to the twin bed to convert to a king bed.

So a sofa bed can be pushed next to a twin bed to convert to a King? I have 2216 booked on the Dream and really want a King.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever had a room that had a connecting door to another room

that connected to someone you didn't know? I'm looking at 1221 on the Carnival Valor and it has a connecting door but the room is clearly a tad bigger than 1217 and 1216. I'm wondering if noise would be a problem because there is a door instead of a complete wall. Also, do you think that these PT rooms are better than the mid inside cabin 7345? I'm noticing 7345 always seems to be available even though it's mid ship Empress. I would think because of location it might be better than the PT rooms but I can't seem to make up my mind.

Well, from the carnival website it says that rooms 1221, 1217, and 1216 are all around 220 (which I doubt from looking at the boat layout but it's probably 185 or bigger). It also says that these rooms have two twin beds that you can convert to a king with a sofa and coffee table. 7345 does not have a sofa or coffee table when I saw the pictures on certain websites. It seems like it would be a smaller room. I think with that room it would be more about central location and probably quieter and it's about $50 cheaper than a porthole (and I'm cheap). That alone makes me want to switch but I'm worried about having no window. I've heard the porthole rooms can be loud in the morning, you can hear the water, and that you can feel the movement of the boat. Based off pictures the porthole rooms seem more roomy and comfortable...but I'm not sure that's true if there is noise and motion. But what about staying in a connecting room? Can you hear the other occupants on the other side? I want to book 1221 but the connecting cabin worries me because I fear I'll hear them under the door. Thank you for responding coach:)

Edited by Siora7777

• 1 month later...

I had one of the connecting rooms on the Conquest and I never had an issue with noise next door. And I know they were noisy because when I'd go out on the balcony I could hear them. If I remember correctly, the doors don't have a gap at the bottom or around them like a normal door, they are kind of sealed.

Personally I prefer 7345. It has 2 twins on the floor and is slightly larger than the front 1A's. I have never had problems with noise from this cabin

I've found pics and reviews of 7345 on some of the Conquest class but not on Conquest itself. I'm sure it will be just like the others, but this is Carnival we're talking about, so you just never know! This time next month, I'll know for sure! :p

I've had cabins with connecting doors and they were no different from others. Totally depends on how loud your neighbors are, not whether there's a connecting door or not.

The PH & 1A cabins with PH are NOT 220 sq ft. They are not considered OV even though they have the PH windows. Way back when I sailed in 2217 on Glory, I stated that it really wasn't very much larger than a regular 185 sq ft inside. If the single bed were pushed closer to the PH, there would be more floor space. But the curvature of the hull makes that not very practical and, obviously, removes some of the sq ft that the regular OVs have.

I liked 2217 but it was VERY loud a few nights with the waves slamming against the hull. I don't "need" a window. I actually like insides (love how well I sleep in those very dark cabins). If I want to see if the sun is shining in the morning, I just turn the TV to the web cam. Or better yet, I get up and climb some stairs and walk out on deck! :D

We were in 7345 on the Conquest..Its two twins on the floor that can be converted to king.

I've found pics and reviews of 7345 on some of the Conquest class but not on Conquest itself. I'm sure it will be just like the others, but this is Carnival we're talking about, so you just never know! This time next month, I'll know for sure! :p

Edited by awhcruiser

Just to confirm...

As of last week, 8357 on the Freedom had two lowers (cannot be separated) and one upper. My parents were happy with it.

My sister had 2202 and LOVED it. In fact, everyone who saw it loved that cabin. Probably the best setup I've seen for two people who are looking for two beds and some pseudo-privacy from each other. It's basically a zig-zag shaped room. Never seen one like it before, but it was awesome!

Edited by rockbock

I am booked in 8357 on the Liberty in January. I booked this cabin for my 22 year old son and myself. I am concerned now that there are two twins lower and not separated. I booked because it listed as a lower and upper which is great for us. Anyone have pictures they could post of this room to ease my mind. I really don't want to pay more because they don't have the room listed correctly and end up sharing a bed with my son. I love him but prefer to share my bed with the hubby who can't make this trip.

Is 1438 on the Valor considered a 1A?

No. 1438 is a 4A standard interior. There are 2 nearby 1As: 1426 & 1435.

I'm confused at the talk of room 8357 on the Freedom. Why can the 2 beds not be separated? I've seen pics of these rooms, and they certainly look more than wide enough to separate them. If it's actually a queen size bed instead of 2 twins, why can't the upper bunk still be used for Vidimom's son & other similar situations? I see that there would be no place to put the ladder at the foot of the bed, but many people would have no problem pulling themselves up to the upper bunk while standing on the queen bed. In the 5-person OV rooms on Dream class ships, many people will push the 2 beds together, eliminating any place to put the ladder for one of the uppers, but the steward will still do it for them, and the kid makes his/her own way up to that upper bunk. If one big bed is truly the only option with 8357, this should definitely be noted by Carnival, as 1As are presented as being a great choice for 2 people who do not want to share a bed.

Edited by k2excursion

I have been told that the upper is never used since the ladder cannot be used because of the 2 twins in the room. The configuration of the room does not allow the twins to be separated.

And that makes no sense. The cabins, based on rather old pics I found, were originally true 1As - one upper and one lower. But the cabins are actually marginally larger than regular IS, so they added the 2nd twin.

If they can separate twins in regular IS cabins, why not in those? Strange.

Way back in this thread (look for post 449 and 515) there are pics of these cabins. The beds ARE separated.

Again, this is Carnival we're talking about and you just never know what you're going to find, despite all the "evidence" presented in this very useful thread! :p

And that makes no sense. The cabins, based on rather old pics I found, were originally true 1As - one upper and one lower. But the cabins are actually marginally larger than regular IS, so they added the 2nd twin.

If they can separate twins in regular IS cabins, why not in those? Strange.

Way back in this thread (look for post 449 and 515) there are pics of these cabins. The beds ARE separated.

Again, this is Carnival we're talking about and you just never know what you're going to find, despite all the "evidence" presented in this very useful thread! :p

Thank you so much for the picture links! I feel a lot better now! This set up for 8357 will work just fine for the son and I! I actually like it better:) When I cruise, you can bet, I will take lots of pictures and make sure they are posted here on Cruise Critic for all to see so there is no doubt about the layout!