I sure stepped in it this time!

localady

[quote name='LAFFNVEGAS'][SIZE=4]Sher, the big question though is...Has HAL received payment in FULL yet?[/SIZE][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]No, they contend that they don't have to overnight it to HAL until the 15th of September. I will see how it plays out, but so far my reservation is intact and has not been cancelled according to the HAL website.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='mamaofami'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Sher, I'm so sorry to read that this is happening to you. Filing a report is very well intentioned, but it isn't going to get you on the cruise. Do you know a lawyer who could call and tell them to get that payment made ASAP? If not, I would do as suggested and insist on speaking to the head of the agency. By taking your money and depositing it to their own account, they are making interest on your money while you lose your cruise. SOmetimes what we think is a bargin really isn't.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

But where else would the agency deposit the credit card money but in their own account? That is what credit card companies do - the money gets deposited in the merchant's account. It is no different from my, as an attorney, receiving money into my trust account, which will then be paid out to third parties, i.e. vendors, etc.

[quote name='Tampa Girl']But where else would the agency deposit the credit card money but in their own account? That is what credit card companies do - the money gets deposited in the merchant's account. It is no different from my, as an attorney, receiving money into my trust account, which will then be paid out to third parties, i.e. vendors, etc.[/quote]
In my experience, I give my credit card number to my T/A and she phones HAL and gives it directly to them. HAL is the travel provider (the merchant, if you will) and the agent is acting a middle man.

If you read my earlier post, you will realize that some (not all) T/A's treat these monies as float ... and I would not be comfortable with anyone other than the cruiseline having my money. There is a well-established procedure for commissions to be transmitted to the T/A, and that precludes some of the problems mentioned on this thread.

In your case, you apparently have a trust account to hold the monies, and that is standard practice for you and your business. Not sure there's any way of knowing whether a T/A puts the monies into a trust account or some type of general pay-whatever-needs-to-be-paid account.

[quote name='Tampa Girl']But where else would the agency deposit the credit card money but in their own account? That is what credit card companies do - the money gets deposited in the merchant's account. It is no different from my, as an attorney, receiving money into my trust account, which will then be paid out to third parties, i.e. vendors, etc.[/quote]

Camp637's right, TampaGirl. Most cruise agencies don't serve as the merchant ... they pass the credit card payment along to the cruise line, who processes it. The agency then receives their commission back from the cruise line.

Most travel agencies don't operate as a typical retail business in these cases. There are large agencies who do process their OWN credit cards, and it serves to both float them the funds for a period of time, and allow them to capture their commission at the source instead of having to wait for its return to them ... these agencies then transmit the net amount (less commission) to the travel supplier when final payment is due.

Sher -

Sorry to hear about this stressful issue. My TA (in Seattle) has an arrangement with HAL that also allows for later payments - that said, my credit card always shows "Holland America - Seattle" on the statement.

Your siyuation just reinforces my love for my TA, it's never the lowest price, but we do get the gifts, SBC, and fabulous service.

Please keep us posted... and get your greenies on fb!!!

No, they contend that they don't have to overnight it to HAL until the 15th of September. I will see how it plays out, but so far my reservation is intact and has not been cancelled according to the HAL website.

Overnight it? Isn't this a credit card payment?

In my experience, I give my credit card number to my T/A and she phones HAL and gives it directly to them. HAL is the travel provider (the merchant, if you will) and the agent is acting a middle man.

If you read my earlier post, you will realize that some (not all) T/A's treat these monies as float ... and I would not be comfortable with anyone other than the cruiseline having my money. There is a well-established procedure for commissions to be transmitted to the T/A, and that precludes some of the problems mentioned on this thread.

In your case, you apparently have a trust account to hold the monies, and that is standard practice for you and your business. Not sure there's any way of knowing whether a T/A puts the monies into a trust account or some type of general pay-whatever-needs-to-be-paid account.

The agency in question I believe is discounting the cruise, so that could be part of the issue.

Just an update:

Today I was attempting to cancel my other 2 cruises with the agency and they offered to put the payments directly thru to HAL if I didn't cancel. I told them that I would leave the bookings for now as they have noted that the cruises were to be paid directly to HAL.

So for those with a similar situation, I'd recommend you call and request the same, that the payment be made directly to HAL.

Wow, that sounds like a real red flag ... like the agent or agency is really grubbing for business. Do you trust them to put the payment thru to HAL? Maybe they can put that in writing for you to save you the aggravation of crossing this same bridge two more times.

Overnight it? Isn't this a credit card payment?

They send one check for a number of cabins they sold on the same voyage.

I'm not totally thrilled with any of it, but for now I will keep the bookings. I am assured this is a large agency that is on HAL's list of preferred TA's. I'll let you know how it all works out with our November cruise.

This is a horrible situation for you to have to deal with. They should NOT be holding your money for a month. Always book with an agency that posts their payments DIRECTLY with the cruise line. This will ensure that you are never out any money if something happens with the agency.

Some agencies discount so deeply, they have to make their money with fees, or not having enough agents to answer phones, and only taking bookings over the net, charging if you change your cabin number or in this case holding the money for a month and earning interest on it, which, if combined with their other clients money, can be a money maker for them.

Always work with an agency that processes payments directly with the cruise line and provides you a true confirmation number.

Hope this gets worked out for you, I am sure it will.

They send one check for a number of cabins they sold on the same voyage.

I'm not totally thrilled with any of it, but for now I will keep the bookings. I am assured this is a large agency that is on HAL's list of preferred TA's. I'll let you know how it all works out with our November cruise.

I know, but I thought you spoke to them and they would pay directly to HAL?

They changed their policy after I had bookings a year or more in advance.

Always book with an agency that posts their payments DIRECTLY with the cruise line. This will ensure that you are never out any money if something happens with the agency.

Some agencies discount so deeply, they have to make their money with fees, or not having agents to answer phones, or in this case holding the money for a month and earning intrest on it, which, if combined with their other clients money, can be a money maker for them.

Always work with an agency that processes payments directly with the cruise line and provides you a true confirmation number.

Hope this gets worked out for you, I am sure it will.

The agency in question is one of the biggest that works with HAL. They have discounted group bookings that they pay at once. They also get a pdf confirmation from HAL to give to their clients. I don't like the way this is being handled but a problem when deposits were made to HAL or another over a year ago and in the meantime they got bought by someone else who is directing payments this way. Perhaps those on this board are right that they collect payments from the clients early and send to the cruise line late in order to make interest.

I have a booking (not HAL) where they will give me a refund check after my cruise. If that's the case I really do not see why they can not pay the company directly from my credit card.

I have a booking (not HAL) where they will give me a refund check after my cruise. If that's the case I really do not see why they can not pay the company directly from my credit card.

This would concern me. I am assuming that the cruise you have booked in on RCCL or Celebrity or one of the luxury lines that does not allow discounting. These lines also forbid rebating in cash after a sailing, and are not going to provide any assistance if you dont receive your rebate after you sail.

I hope you have the rebate amount in writing from them. If I were you I would ask for this amount in a shipboard credit, or that it be provided to me after final payment. If they are processing your payments in house, they have no reason to wait until after you sail to provide it.

In addition, how are you guaranteed that the payment will be made when it is supposed to, as in the OPs situation, or at all. There is no way to guarantee the money you are giving to this co will ever make it to your cruise line on time. What happens if you agent quits or is unable to work for some reason? This is a risk that is not worth taking in my opinion, even for a discount.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against offering discounts and/or shipboard credits and do so all the time, but payments are all proceessed directly with the cruise line and any commitments (financial, gifts or SBCs) are all fufilled before you leave.

What reprocussions do you have if they don't provide it when you return? You will have already taken the cruise. I am not trying to make you doubt your choice, or you agent - I just want you to protect yourself. Work with someone that provides all of what you getting, AND processes your payments directly.

If the payment goes directly to HAL, How does the TA get their commission?

Just an update:

Today I was attempting to cancel my other 2 cruises with the agency and they offered to put the payments directly thru to HAL if I didn't cancel. I told them that I would leave the bookings for now as they have noted that the cruises were to be paid directly to HAL.

So for those with a similar situation, I'd recommend you call and request the same, that the payment be made directly to HAL.

Just an update to all my CC friends-

It appears I can now print our boarding documents which means that our Anniversary cruise has been paid to HAL and we will, in fact board the Oosterdam in 60ish days! :D

Wanted to let you all know that it worked out okay, but I do warn others to ask your TA how the payment is billed and request direct payment to the cruiseline vs. to the TA. :cool:

Oh Sher, that is Great News:) Tom and I were just talking about this last night and Tom asked if your final payment had been received by HAL yet. I told him that I did not think you would hear till tomorrow.

Like you said if anything came of this at least it is to make others aware of what can happen.

So glad to hear your payment was confirmed and now you can just worry about what to pack for your cruise!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful anniversary cruise!!!!!

I assure you I could pack in my sleep!!! ;) *LOL*

Thank you ALL for the wonderful wishes. :D :D I feel so fortunate to have so many wonderful friends because of my cruise addiction .........

I promise to toast you all as we sail away from San Diego in on the balcony of our fabulous SY cabin! :D :D :D

This would concern me. I am assuming that the cruise you have booked in on RCCL or Celebrity or one of the luxury lines that does not allow discounting. These lines also forbid rebating in cash after a sailing, and are not going to provide any assistance if you dont receive your rebate after you sail.

I hope you have the rebate amount in writing from them. If I were you I would ask for this amount in a shipboard credit, or that it be provided to me after final payment. If they are processing your payments in house, they have no reason to wait until after you sail to provide it.

In addition, how are you guaranteed that the payment will be made when it is supposed to, as in the OPs situation, or at all. There is no way to guarantee the money you are giving to this co will ever make it to your cruise line on time. What happens if you agent quits or is unable to work for some reason? This is a risk that is not worth taking in my opinion, even for a discount.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against offering discounts and/or shipboard credits and do so all the time, but payments are all proceessed directly with the cruise line and any commitments (financial, gifts or SBCs) are all fufilled before you leave.

What reprocussions do you have if they don't provide it when you return? You will have already taken the cruise. I am not trying to make you doubt your choice, or you agent - I just want you to protect yourself. Work with someone that provides all of what you getting, AND processes your payments directly.

Michael, it is not RCL or Celebrity BUT I do know someone using them for Celebrity Expedition. They did not want $1,000 OBC because their Galapagos cruise is all inclusive, so getting a check from the agency when they return.

Mine is with a well known "travel company" who has all the bookings for an antarctic cruise. If I book direct or book through this TA, I pay the same price but getting about a $1,000 back after I return. I do have it in writing on my invoice and even if I did not get it I would still be paying the rack rate. I have no assurance with the exception that a HAL PCC has told me they are legit and one of their largest producers who helped them out in hard times. I have used them for 3 cruises so far and they have done a lot for me such as getting a price reduction from Celebrity after final payment and not charging me a change fee when it is clearly in the terms and conditions on their web site. I received a HAL pdf from the agency showing final payment was made. iIjust had to ask for it. I am looking at thousands in savings on a number of cruises so worth the risk with HAL telling me they are legit. But, I have also paid more and kept some bookings directly with HAL. It is hard for more expensive cruises when an agency is also giving you a cocktail party and high end excursion. The one we went on in Turkey was all first class with a local travel agency who mostly works with Crystal cruises.

Just an update to all my CC friends-

It appears I can now print our boarding documents which means that our Anniversary cruise has been paid to HAL and we will, in fact board the Oosterdam in 60ish days! :D

Wanted to let you all know that it worked out okay, but I do warn others to ask your TA how the payment is billed and request direct payment to the cruiseline vs. to the TA. :cool:

Localady, I am still unclear. Was your credit card charged to HAL or to this Agency? It sounds like money went to them but on your next two cruises they agreed that your credit card payment would be direct to HAL? Can you let me know what they decided to do moving forward? I would like to know.

Archived