Galveston......

sail7seas

Ruth, have you heard from your sister? I hope she's OK.

Thank you for asking, Carol. I did hear from her a little while ago. She reports that that things are "more all right than wrong" where she is. She lost a fence that needed to be replaced anyway.

And she has power! :)

They've been asked to hold back on water usage as much as possible, and to keep phone use to a minimum.

She said downtown Houston was a mess. :(

Here in Katy, just west of Houston, things went much better than I anticipated. We drove around the neighborhood this morning and saw very little damage - a couple of fences blown loose ( not down ), a small tree uprooted, and a construction out-house blown over. When we got back to where we were staying, the power had come back on after being off only about 12 hours. We received only 2½ inches of rain.

From what I see on TV, it looks like most of the damage was in and around Galveston where the storm hit. But even that looked better than what had been predicted.

Thank you for asking, Carol. I did hear from her a little while ago. She reports that that things are "more all right than wrong" where she is. She lost a fence that needed to be replaced anyway.

They've been asked to hold back on water usage as much as possible, and to keep phone use to a minimum.

Glad to hear that, Ruth. Guess her crystal ball wasn't all that cloudy. You must be relieved!

Hi, everyone

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

We live in the SW suburbs - Sugar Land. Shingles were blown off the roof which resulted in water damage in the kitchen and living room. I called our insurance carrier and a water restoration company is here. Hopefully the insurance adjuster will be out next week.

We do have power and our water is safe to drink. Many fences are down as well as downed tree limbs and branches. There will be much yard work to do tomorrow!

Yes, we feel fortunate that we were not injured and the damage is not extensive. Also, WE HAVE POWER!!! That's such a blessing.

B

Hi, everyone

We live in the SW suburbs - Sugar Land. Shingles were blown off the roof which resulted in water damage in the kitchen and living room. I called our insurance carrier and a water restoration company is here. Hopefully the insurance adjuster will be out next week.

We do have power and our water is safe to drink. Many fences are down as well as downed tree limbs and branches. There will be much yard work to do tomorrow!

Yes, we feel fortunate that we were not injured and the damage is not extensive. Also, WE HAVE POWER!!! That's such a blessing.

B

Glad to hear you are safe and you faired well. And YES definitely great that you have power:) Be careful in doing yard work tomorrow there could be glass and thing blown in that you do not see.

We have lots of family in Houston and all have made it through this safely. My niece had a large tree in her yard split in half and it fell in front of her dining room window and door--she said that it missed crashing into the house by inches. She feels very fortunate. She said it was a difficult night. NO power since late last night and those in Houston are being told it could be a week or more until they have power. Temps today VERY high. (She's in the NW area of Houston)

We have lots of family in Houston and all have made it through this safely. My niece had a large tree in her yard split in half and it fell in front of her dining room window and door--she said that it missed crashing into the house by inches. She feels very fortunate. She said it was a difficult night. NO power since late last night and those in Houston are being told it could be a week or more until they have power. Temps today VERY high. (She's in the NW area of Houston)

Peggy, I am so glad to hear that your family made it thru the store safely.:) Hopefully their power will come back up quicker than they are fearing.

All we've had in Dallas is rain and a little bit of wind (up to about 25 mph). We had a Hurricane about 75 miles east of us, which has now turned into a Tropical Storm, but here in Dallas all we're getting is rain and a bit of wind.

I feel terrible for all the people South and especially east of here, who are getting the brunt of this storm. The video of damage from Galveston looks pretty bad, and downtown Houston looks like a war zone, what with all the blown out windows.

I was sad to see, on TV, some of the night clubs and other establishments that extended out on piers into the gulf from the sea wall are now totally gone, including a couple of very famous ones -- like the legendary Balinese Room nightclub.

Hi, everyone

B

Hi Marybelle -- so glad to hear that you safe -- I justed a note on our old Roll Call.

Yonnie

All we've had in Dallas is rain and a little bit of wind (up to about 25 mph). We had a Hurricane about 75 miles east of us, which has now turned into a Tropical Storm, but here in Dallas all we're getting is rain and a bit of wind.

I feel terrible for all the people South and especially east of here, who are getting the brunt of this storm. The video of damage from Galveston looks pretty bad, and downtown Houston looks like a war zone, what with all the blown out windows.

I was sad to see, on TV, some of the night clubs and other establishments that extended out on piers into the gulf from the sea wall are now totally gone, including a couple of very famous ones -- like the legendary Balinese Room nightclub.

Greg -- glad that you are safe -- no horrible winds and etc.

Hi RuthC

Glad to hear that your sister is all right -- and with very little damage -- she is very fortunate to have power.

College Station survived almost unscathed. According to a local website, there are some downed fences, some shingles lost and very few are without power. In fact, the sun just came out.

Downtown Houston is covered in glass from shattered windows. Galveston, Seaside and Bridge City looks like they took most of the brunt of the storm. East of Houston took a big hit too.

Rescues are underway now. The storm has passed from Houston and search and rescue efforts started early this afternoon. Please keep the Texas Gulf Coast area in your prayers. Lots of damage was sustained in the area.

http://www.chron.com

That's the website for the Houston Chronicle...it has a wealth of information and updates.

Greg, I just saw those pictures on TV. Very sad indeed. Glad to hear you're OK in Dallas.

Archived