Latest Glimpse of Solstice...here!

editor@cruisecritic

Looking at the Solstice entering Ft. Lauderdale ... what is the highrise on the beach closest to the entrance to the port? Is that a hotel or apartment buildings?

The building closest to the beach and the one behind it are the Point of Americas buildings. The shorter building closest to the ships as they sail past is Sky Harbour East. A co-worker of mine just sold his condo there. They used to see all of the ships come and go, and were there when the QM2 made her grand entrance. They even received commemorative flags to wave as she sailed by. He gave it to me and it is sitting in my office as I type this. I'm still PO'ed that he sold it before the Solstice inaugural as I was planning on inviting myself to stay there for that weekend.

I think DCT is correct. If you go out on the beach at Lago Mar (it essentially sits behind (or north of) the Point of America's buildings), you can see the ships as they come out of the harbor....but you are still a little bit away from the actual entrance to the harbor. Lago Mar is a great little hotel (kind of hidden) off a residential street as I recall.

You can see Lago Mar in the photo. It's about the 4th building behind the shorter of the 2 Point of Americas condos, about 5 stories high.

Hey Christine & Joe, just wondering what condos in that area sell for. Think your friend will tell you?

yes, that area of the beach is accessable to the public. I live in a highrise condo just north of Lago Mar hotel, not in the pic. Solstice looks amazing, can see her from our balcony and will be boarding her on the 21st for two nights, and again on March 8 for a full week cruise(its only 117 days away..UGH, I am crazy excited!). I will try and take a ton of photos next week!!

Gary

Hey Christine & Joe, just wondering what condos in that area sell for. Think your friend will tell you?

He wouldn't tell me, but he said type in realtor.com and enter 33316. I think it's one of those, "if you have to ask..." type things.

Signman, thanks for the full pic. Yes, now I see our condo...we are right next to the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel.

Daphna101, the best hotels to be closest to the pier would be the Renaissance, Hyatt Pier 66, or the Ft. Lauderdale Grand (Used to be the Marriot Marina) The Grand has been completely renovated and is very nicely done, much in the same style as Solstice ;-)

The Marriott Harbor Beach is on the beach less than 2 minutes north of 17th

There is also a newly opened Marriott Courtyard on A1A just south of Las Olas (used to be the doubletree before Huricane Wilma) A few blocks north of the courtyard on A1A is the Ritz Carlton (used to be St. Regis)

Downtown choice would be either the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas.

Later, G

Also a good choice is the Hyatt Place Airport/Cruise Port on 17th street. they have free shuttle, good rates and it's right next to a large shopping center w/ a grocery store (Publix) for purchasing last minute essentials - wine, H2O, soda, etc. There are also some nice ladies boutiques in there for buying a last minute bit of resort wear. Hyatt Places are very stylish and the beds are wonderful :D Right across from it is a beautiful Embassy Suites, usually at over twice the rate .......

Also a good choice is the Hyatt Place Airport/Cruise Port on 17th street. they have free shuttle, good rates and it's right next to a large shopping center w/ a grocery store (Publix) for purchasing last minute essentials - wine, H2O, soda, etc. There are also some nice ladies boutiques in there for buying a last minute bit of resort wear. Hyatt Places are very stylish and the beds are wonderful :D Right across from it is a beautiful Embassy Suites, usually at over twice the rate .......

The Sun Trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com) stops at the shopping center near Hyatt Place (http://www.theharborshops.com/information.html) and runs thruout the evening. It will take you to the beach and all the good restaurants along the beach and on Las Olas Riverwalk.

Does anyone know the Il Lugano hotel in Ft. Lauderdale? It has great reviews on Tripadvisor. I just booked it and got a pretty good rate ($160) for Dec. 20, the night before we depart. It says it's on the intracoastal waterway. Will it be a pain to get to the cruise terminal from there? We don't mind taking a cab. Thanks!

Il Lugano is fabulous. http://www.illugano.com/

It's a super nice property

I booked it as well for 2-nights prior to my SOLSTICE cruise on December 7th. The property looks fantastic and where else can you get a 900 sq ft suite (overlooking the intercostal or ocean) for under $200 a night. The suite includes a washer/dryer, kitchen, flat panel TV's, even iPod docking stations. The hotel appears to have a nice pool area and a gym overlooking the waterway. Tood English is supposed to open a restaurant in the hotel this month. As already mentioned, the reviews on Trip Advisor have been fantastic. Perhaps the only downside is that it's not right on the beach, but it's only a couple blocks away and easily walkable.

I can't wait to experience Il Lugano and CELEBRITY SOLSTICE. Sounds like a winning combination to me!

Ernie

If you're willing to splurge a bit we have two favorites. The Ritz-Carlton is lovely, on the oceanfront, fantastic service, excellent spa and pool scene. It's so big it reminds me of a cruise ship sort of ambience (albeit with an excellent CVS pharmacy that sells wine, sodas and snacks, right next door). We paid $269 in November which seemed great value for money (in fact, the night before we paid $229 for a night at the Sheraton at Newark Airport and let me just say...not in the same league, either quality wise or value for money wise.

Our other favorite is a small boutique kind of property called the Pillars at New River Sound. It's really small, just across the street from the Ritz Carlton (on the Intracoastal) and it's elegant and intimate. I'd prefer that for a really peaceful, laid back stay.

I've also stayed a few times at the Riverside; love the location, love the rooms in the older part, the newer part has little character. The Hyatt? Ish.

I think we have all this stuff (save for the Ritz Carlton, we just stayed there last week) in our port profile on Ft. Lauderdale. I have to check! Might be time for an update.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Carolyn

Signman, thanks for the full pic. Yes, now I see our condo...we are right next to the Marriott Harbor Beach Hotel.

Daphna101, the best hotels to be closest to the pier would be the Renaissance, Hyatt Pier 66, or the Ft. Lauderdale Grand (Used to be the Marriot Marina) The Grand has been completely renovated and is very nicely done, much in the same style as Solstice ;-)

The Marriott Harbor Beach is on the beach less than 2 minutes north of 17th

There is also a newly opened Marriott Courtyard on A1A just south of Las Olas (used to be the doubletree before Huricane Wilma) A few blocks north of the courtyard on A1A is the Ritz Carlton (used to be St. Regis)

Downtown choice would be either the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas.

Later, G

Carolyn is correct that the Ritz is indeed lovely, however, it is not quite up to Ritz standards yet...many service issues and employees issues from the transition from the St. Regis to Ritz. For years the Hyatt has needed some major renovations, but after completion recently of the main tower it is beautiful. Also, the best champagne brunch on the beach Sundays.

If one really wants lodging at the port, check out the Grande http://www.fortlauderdalegrande.com

We have had friends stay at the grande within the last month and they loved it. The pool area is gorgeous. If it were me I would choose the Grande over the Hyatt, BUT, which ever one you choose, you will be staying in a newly renovated and modernized hotel.

Archived