Latest Glimpse of Solstice...here!

editor@cruisecritic

I

Why not? If you don't like the shoes there, go find another store that may have shoes that you do like.

I am not saying I don't like the shoes there. I am saying based on your example that I do not like that one particular pair of shoes that was shown to me in a photo, a sum of all the part contained in that store, a point that I am pretty sure I have the intelligence to decide for myself. Now if others like that pair of shoes that's great, I for one am not critizing others for liking them when I don't. We all have our own likes and dislikes, otherwise all ships would look the same too. So I'm not saying Celebrity has failed, I am not saying Solstice has failed, I am saying I don't care for the looks on the dining room after seeing some more detailed photos of it's structure, hardware and finish details. The color doesn't bother me at all FWIW.

The tone of the analaogous go find another ship by some is hardly one that is being offered in encouragement to meet the needs of a poster who is trying to find a ship that they would be comfortable on and enjoying yet I don't disagree there are some out there who are more inclined to be complaining rather than actually ready to plank money down and sail on any ship. But photos are the means and methods to gain that knowledge, and that's part of the process we all use our advantage to enhance the benefit amd opportunity for a sucessful trip.

BTW this is not an attempt to address a you-me conflict, the use of you and me are for illustration only from my point of view for this discussion.

I don't see where anyone was told NOT to have an opinion. I think the point was we should wait since the ship is still be tweaked.

I think its funny that the ship is so distasteful in so many aspects to you yet you have booked b2b2b sailings and going on pre-inaugurals. I hope you enjoy it in spite of the many shortcomings (your view.);)

There again someone is inferring what my view is:

1) I commented on the appearance of the X on the stack, like many others, it does not look correct.

2) I commented elsewhere that white furnishing might not stand up to the wear and tear of everyday use,

3) Elsewhere I commented that the drink holders in the theatre might snag clothing.

Nowhere have I suggested that I find any thing about Solstice distasteful. A picture is worth a thousand words and I think I have to stop before I get to that number...:cool:

It is the people who work on Celebrity ships that keeps on bringing me back. Celebrity has a long tradition of decorating their ships in "interesting" ways. Despite an obvious difference of opinion in what is tasteful, practical, or attractive, I will continue to travel on ships designed by people who get paid for designing "interesting" settings.

I believe the shoe analogy has been beaten dead. And, now that the original example has been twisted so far out of place, there is no reason to try to explain it again.

Meanwhile, I am sure we can agree that we are not going to agree. We've expressed our individual points. Therefore, I believe others have read our discussion, and it is their choice to move on with their lives in whatever manner they choose, much as I am going to do here.

I just watched the German guy's video. It's really good. The disco looks really fun and sleek. I'm sure someone won't like it or might possibly have a seizure from the lights. And how about the grass expert?? He sounds like he's from my neck of the woods!

And the dining room is actually looking better to me.

I find the design of ships so very exciting. Say what you will about the RCCL Oasis being too big and over the top, but I find almost every new ship that RCL and Celebrity have come out with recently have been great. Compared to the other lines out there, Celebrity and RCL are creating the best ships on the seas.

I just watched the German guy's video. It's really good. The disco looks really fun and sleek. I'm sure someone won't like it or might possibly have a seizure from the lights. And how about the grass expert?? He sounds like he's from my neck of the woods!

My favourite grass expert def.!

From what is going celebrity to protect their DJ?!

In this silver cup?!

I would say the disco is a very excessively low-current type.

I agree totally!!!

This is CRUISE CRITIC right.

Some of the criticisers of the critics are going to be telling me next what colour I want for my next car.

CelebritySolsticeX-1-1.jpg

The traditional look:

Xby110.jpg

WHITE for porsche.

Blue for Range Rover.

just a joke.

Here are some new pictures from Meyerwerft:

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1498

Bonnie

Wow!!! Those are gorgeous! I wish there were more!!! I have NO idea why someone said "once you get past the Rose wall". I think it is soooo very cool. Very very nice photo of Blu. And the dining room looks awesome. It does appear that they can change the color of the lighting in there. The theatre looks all cleaned up and finished. This must be the photos before they handed her over to Celebrity, eh?? They are great photos. Thank you!

Wow!!! Those are gorgeous! I wish there were more!!! I have NO idea why someone said "once you get past the Rose wall". I think it is soooo very cool. Very very nice photo of Blu. And the dining room looks awesome. It does appear that they can change the color of the lighting in there. The theatre looks all cleaned up and finished. This must be the photos before they handed her over to Celebrity, eh?? They are great photos. Thank you!

That was my comment about the Rose Wall. I simply don't care for it. I am however really enjoying the look of the rest of the room, previously lost due to the focus on that feature wall.

Note that my comments were never to the effect of ...'and anyone who thinks that wall looks good'...

I saw trays in the buffet!!! Did anyone else see that in the youtube video??? Wooohooo! Someone is happy:D (I personally could care less, but...)

There are trays in the buffet, and the water fountains are dancing, and the Persian Gardens look verrrry nice (overlooking the ocean) and the ship is just WAITING for us to go onboard to have an absolutely grand time!!!! I absotively agree with you hylasgirl, stuff to be happy about is cool!:)

Blu is looking great-- How can we try to book this on board?--we are not in AQ but it was mentioned that if there is space, non AQ guests might be able to book it...

Blu is looking great-- How can we try to book this on board?--we are not in AQ but it was mentioned that if there is space, non AQ guests might be able to book it...

Well I am AQ and I'd like to try main dining room and maybe a couple of specialty so I'm sure there are other people like us on your cruise so it will even out and we'll all get our wish!:)

The last report was that only suite guests will have the opportunity to book Blu if there is space available.

I watched the video twice, and I still don't see any trays in the buffet. It looks like there are the oversized plates that are used on RCL. If there were trays, don't you think there would be rails for them.

The only dining rooms chairs that really look comfortable are those in BLU. The balcony cabins sure do look tight, and there appears to be less storage than you had in the 3 closet sections on existing ships. It also doesn't look like the TV is positioned for viewing from the bed.

The open deck space looks even less than the first renderings and the awnings seem to add to the congestion. All Celebrity does is tout the Lawn Club and the glass show. IMHO these are novelties that you will want to see once. And for some reason the railings surrounding the lawn and glass areas have glass panels above them so you do not have an unobstructed view out.

These are my observations only and I will get to see how these things are in reality when I board on December 7th. I hope things will turn out just fine as final payment for my February sailing is due before I board in December. As wonderful as all the photos have been, I hope that the reality is even better.

I watched the video twice, and I still don't see any trays in the buffet. It looks like there are the oversized plates that are used on RCL. If there were trays, don't you think there would be rails for them.

The only dining rooms chairs that really look comfortable are those in BLU. The balcony cabins sure do look tight, and there appears to be less storage than you had in the 3 closet sections on existing ships. It also doesn't look like the TV is positioned for viewing from the bed.

The open deck space looks even less than the first renderings and the awnings seem to add to the congestion. All Celebrity does is tout the Lawn Club and the glass show. IMHO these are novelties that you will want to see once. And for some reason the railings surrounding the lawn and glass areas have glass panels above them so you do not have an unobstructed view out.

These are my observations only and I will get to see how these things are in reality when I board on December 7th. I hope things will turn out just fine as final payment for my February sailing is due before I board in December. As wonderful as all the photos have been, I hope that the reality is even better.

I can't say that I disagree with anything you have said. I always wonder about people who can't look objectively. It is like they are afraid that if they find something not "perfect" about the ship that it will somehow diminsh their cruise or cast a negative light on their decision making skills because they decided to book the ship. And that just isn't so. One can look at pictures and have opinions - good and bad - and still decide that this is a ship they want to experience at least once...... :)

I agree that the configuration of the cabin leaves much to be desired. I just cannot imagine two adults trying to squueze between the sofa/bed and the closets while trying to dress. I just looks really cramped. I am also concerned that on longer cruises hanging space will be insufficient as well.

I agree the placement of the tv is awkward. If I am going to watch tv in my cabin most likely it will be from bed. Perhaps it has a hidden pivot hinge we are not aware of?

Also those bedside tables are dreadfully small. The phone covers the one completely. I usually have my travel alarm, a book, my glasses and a cup of water there. Does not seem there would be room for all of that. Why are there are no drawers in the nightstands? - I will miss those - great catch all for bar reciepts, daily programs, misc items. Also for friends traveling together the separation between beds will be minimal.

All in it seems that the cabins are very cramped. The furnishings and materials used are lovely, the bathrooms are large and spacious and very well laid out, though I wish the shower doors were frosted instead of clear. Again think of traveling with a friend and trying to get ready for dinner, unless you want to see them in their birthday suit it will make dual use of the bathroom impossible.

The balconies look heavenly - nice and deep, two adjustable chairs w/ footstools and a nice dining height table - WELL DONE! Some may lament that half of the divider is frosted glass, but I think it will be just fine.

The rest of the ship seems so well designed and gorgeously decorated, it really will be a shame if the cabins fail to hit the mark. For all the hype surrounding their design I have to admit they are rather a let down.

BTW - perusing the RCCL site it seems the Oasis of the Seas will use the same configuration as well.

I am wondering if there is any room to have the beds as twins. I can't see how. Thoughts anyone?

Yes, but it will be minimal. The two pitifully small nighstands can be put between the beds. I am assuming there will be a 18"-20" maximum separation between beds, if even that. One bed will be shoved up against the sofa and the other up against the closet area, or balcony door - depends upon layout. Regardless, it seems like it will be tight no matter what. I am considering asking my cabin steward to make the beds up separately but leave them pushed together for space, as i will be traveling with a friend.

Archived