Has anyone else ever had their dining choice changed accidentally?

Nacwolin

We booked our cruise through a travel agent. Somehow during the final payment posting, we were switched from traditional to anytime dining. I did not notice this until I went on Princess' site to book excursions. I immediately contacted our TA.

To make a long story short, the TA blamed Princess; Princess blamed the TA. At this point, we are #80 on the list and no one wants to do anything to make this right.

Now we've been told to immediately track down the maitre'd and try to get it switched back to traditional. To our TA's credit, they have been calling Princess daily, but to no avail (of course - we are so far down on the list!). Even with the paperwork showing we had traditional, no one seems to be able to do anything about it.

Any one else have any experience with this situation? What happened? What did you do?

I don't know who to believe, but I am very frustrated!

We booked our cruise through a travel agent. Somehow during the final payment posting, we were switched from traditional to anytime dining. I did not notice this until I went on Princess' site to book excursions. I immediately contacted our TA.

To make a long story short, the TA blamed Princess; Princess blamed the TA. At this point, we are #80 on the list and no one wants to do anything to make this right.

Now we've been told to immediately track down the maitre'd and try to get it switched back to traditional. To our TA's credit, they have been calling Princess daily, but to no avail (of course - we are so far down on the list!). Even with the paperwork showing we had traditional, no one seems to be able to do anything about it.

Any one else have any experience with this situation? What happened? What did you do?

Don't fret, just talk with the MD on embarkation day. :)

Maybe you (or your TA on your behalf) could ask Princess if the maitre'd could give you a standing reservation for the entire cruise at the time of your choice in the Anytime restaurant. I don't know if you're traveling with others who have Traditional, but this might be a work-around if you're not with a group.

Good luck!

Maybe you (or your TA on your behalf) could ask Princess if the maitre'd could give you a standing reservation for the entire cruise at the time of your choice in the Anytime restaurant. I don't know if you're traveling with others who have Traditional, but this might be a work-around if you're not with a group.

Good luck!

I guess that's not a bad idea, BUT we are traveling alone (just hubby and me for our 20th anniversary), so we wanted to try traditional to get to know folks at our table, have the same waiter, etc. - you know, the "traditional" cruise experience for our first cruise.

Needless to say, I am not very happy. And what happens if we wait to get there to talk to the MD and they can't do anything???

Yes there is. Just explain the situation to the MD on Sunday.

Not worth stressing over. :o

Thanks for the encouragement, Colo. I just don't want to be disappointed, you know?

Honestly, what if the MD can't accomodate us? What would you do? Especially since this wasn't something we chose (we didn't all of a sudden decide we want traditional).

I am thinking they aren't going to just bump someone - wouldn't they have done that already if they could?

On our Oct '07 New England cruise, we were confirmed for early traditional dining. When boarding the ship we noticed our key cards had us as late traditional. We had to make a trip to the Maitre'd with our original paper work and stand in line for a while, but the switch back to the earlier time was quite easy. It probably will not be a problem.

On our Oct '07 New England cruise, we were confirmed for early traditional dining. When boarding the ship we noticed our key cards had us as late traditional. We had to make a trip to the Maitre'd with our original paper work and stand in line for a while, but the switch back to the earlier time was quite easy. It probably will not be a problem.

The bad part for us is that our travel summary doesn't have what our choice was. We have a document from 7-14 that says traditional, but it was changed - either by computer glitch or human error, when our final payment went in the end of July.

So, will they even care about the 7-14 document? When my hubby talked to Princess, they said that the only person who could have changed it was the TA (who hasn't admitted that it was their error).

I just wish someone would say "We goofed" and in good faith, make it as right as possible - which, to me, in CS that means, you give them what they asked for or you take care of them some other way.

Am I just crazy to feel that way?

Well, our TA's office finally admitted that it was their error. Doesn't look like they are going to be able to do anything for us, but at least they apologized and admitted that they are totally at fault.

I guess we will be looking for the MD once we board on Sunday...

I am still not real happy, but the TA is a friend, and I don't want to push things and burn a bridge. Maybe we will be fortunate and get the switch back once we are on board.

I really don't think this will be a problem, the maitre d' should be able to find you spaces in traditional, if not the first night then by the second. However, my advice is to try and calm down a little bit, it would be a shame if this ruined your cruise or even the preparation time for it. Unfortunately, things can go wrong on a vacation for a variety of reasons, and we see a lot of posts here from cruisers who just can't get past it. The absolute worst that can happen is that you get a standing reservation in anytime, which I know is not your choice, but it's not as if your alternative is just the buffet. Try to have faith that this will all work out.........you and your husband will be the losers if it becomes a deal breaker re: having a nice trip.

I really don't think this will be a problem, the maitre d' should be able to find you spaces in traditional, if not the first night then by the second. However, my advice is to try and calm down a little bit, it would be a shame if this ruined your cruise or even the preparation time for it. Unfortunately, things can go wrong on a vacation for a variety of reasons, and we see a lot of posts here from cruisers who just can't get past it. The absolute worst that can happen is that you get a standing reservation in anytime, which I know is not your choice, but it's not as if your alternative is just the buffet. Try to have faith that this will all work out.........you and your husband will be the losers if it becomes a deal breaker re: having a nice trip.

I totally agree - it is just very disappointing, especially since this is our first cruise and we want it to be so special :).

Why not post a request for fellow diners on the same cruise in similar circumstances and book a table at a set time together in anytime. Post it here or at the role call.

It'll be traditional but in the anytime dining room. A bunch do it every cruise we've been on.

Why not post a request for fellow diners on the same cruise in similar circumstances and book a table at a set time together in anytime. Post it here or at the role call.

It'll be traditional but in the anytime dining room. A bunch do it every cruise we've been on.

That is a really good idea.

This is why I love this board :D.

Nacwolin

I am sure you are going to love your first cruise, even if the Maitre'd cannot get you in to traditional dining. After all, since this is your first cruise, you might love anytime dining. Just relax, let things flow, it will all work out, and you will have a marvelous time! :D

It's an accident and as such you are owed an apology, but there just may be no way to rectify the problem until you are on the ship. You can ask the Maitre d' if he can get you traditional dining, it's the best you can get.

We tend to meet people on board and ask them if they are interested in having dinner together. Or we ask for a mixed table. For the most part it has worked out wonderfully, with the rare exception.

It mmight help to bring the document date 7/14 with you when you see the Maitre-d, to show that you did originally book traditional. Otherwise, you have excellent suggestions here. Good luck, happy anniversary and have a great 1st cruise.

This happened to us on our last Princess cruise- we had confirmed traditional for some while (more than a month, I think?) and when we got on board our cards mysteriously said anytime. It took practically an act of congress (lucky that I'd printed off the cruise personalizer page showing traditional confirmed!) to get it changed back, and then we ended up with... well... a table of fairly nice (some more so than others) people of whom we unfortunately didn't have much in common at all. I can get along well with almost anyone for a while, but I think we would've enjoyed the experience much more had we perhaps had more in common demographically.

While I certainly see the value in meeting new people, people of different generations, etc (and had an excellent time abord the Legend of the Seas dining with my mom and two retired native Hong Kongians (?) who had since migrated to New Zealand), DH and I (40s and 20s respectively) didn't have much but small talk each night with our 50s-60s tablemates who were very polite but obviously didn't have much to say to us either.

We have had anytime dining on two of our cruises and all I can say is that it worked out great. We met new people each night. Anytime dining is the same as traditional in food, service and if you want the same waiter every night, you can ask the MD to seat you there. If you want to eat every night at 6PM or 8 PM, you can. You can eat alone or meet new table mates each night. The only difference between anytime and traditional really is you eat when it is convenient. No one will shut the door on you if you are 15 minutes late.:)

Not quite the same but on our Emerald cruise this summer, all of our documents showed as confirmed for tradional (late) dining. When we checked in we didn't look at our boarding cards until we got to the cabin and the card listed anytime dining. I brought all of my docs to the maitre'd and he was able to get us back to traditional. He didn't even ask to see copies. Everyone at our table had a similar story... so, keep your fingers crossed but this should be able to be corrected when you get on board.

But... make sure you find out when the maitre'd is available and make sure you get to see him/her early.

Happened on the Crown Princess last year. We went to the dining room as soon as we boarded. The Maitre'd couldn't have been nicer. He put us at a table with three other couples whose reservations also got messed up. The table became available the first night because the people who were supposed to be at that table wanted anytime dining. The Maitre'd checked on us every night.

Don't discount Anytime Dining. The great thing about it is that if you are willing to share a table with others (and you say you would like that) you will likely never have to wait for a table. And the good part is if you don't like your tablemates, you never have to sit with them again.

If you are at traditional and find yourself at a table with people you don't like, you are stuck with them the rest of the cruise. (And it DOES happen!). Also, with traditional, if the folks assigned to your table don't show up for dinner you may be sitting at a table for 6 or 8 with just the two of you.

You can be assured you'll be sitting with people in Anytime Dining.

We always do Anytime Dining and when we've met people at a table we liked a lot, we arranged to meet up for dinner a few nights during the cruise.

We too had traditional reserved for almost a year but when we boarded, we were assigned to anytime. I waited for about 40 minutes to see the maitre'd , only to be told I was mistaken. Fortunately, I had the original printout and the next night we were assigned to traditional. According to the maitre'd, if I had not had the proof, I would not have gotten the traditional.

Archived