Princess or NCL, whose food is better?

aprilsp88

Here's a shocker for you. I find the food to be equal and prefer NCL over Princess due to freestyle dining. And, this is not just one person's opinion. My cousin who was a loyal Princess cruiser went on her first NCL cruise in March at my coaxing. She has just returned from another one and has another one booked in June. Loves NCL and probably won't be returning to Princess. Go figure huh?

CG

NCL food was horrible. Princess no matter how picky you may be you will be able to select something from their menu. NCL in my opinion was the worst cruise line I have ever been on. It was so bad in Hawaii they offered us credit toward a future cruise. Are they kidding? Needless to say, we did not use the credit and will gladly pay extra on another line. We love Princess.

DJ127

We haven't sailed Princess (yet), but we have one booked in April. After that, I'll be able to give you my opinions about which is better. I can tell you, though, that we have found the food in the main dining rooms on NCL to be perfectly edible, often very good, and that in 6 NCL cruises, we've only dined in the specialty restaurants on 3 nights.

As far as the poster who lost weight, we sure don't have that problem. I've gained around 5 pounds on each of my cruises (which thankfully haven't stuck around), and my DH normally gains about 10.

We've been loyal to NCL because we enjoy freestyle dining, but some friends have convinced us to give Princess a try. So, I guess we're expending our horizons!

Opinions of food are so subjective.

We've only been on NCL twice, once on Windward (later Norwegian Wind, now gone from the fleet), and once on Norwegian Dream.

We though food on Windward about equivalent of Princess; and thought food on Dream not as good. We were particularly disappointed in the Sports Bar, which was their buffet (at the time, Freestyle dining just coming in). The selection was extremely limited, as was seating.

That said, both of the ships had an alternative aft dining room, terraced, which gave spectacular views.

Here is a link to a sampling of NCL menus (both free and charge, I believe) from NCL Jade:

http://jade08.sellie.de/Menus/index.html

And here is a link to some sample Princess menus (these are from Coral Princess, Alaska but they show the new small plate/large plate menu idea):

http://imageevent.com/rcurry/coralprincessmenuspatters;jsessionid=1ml3369it3.zebra_s?p=2&n=1&m=16&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

After comparing the two, IMHO there is no question that Princess has a menu that is more varied, includes higher value ingredients, and has a higher degree of difficulty in preparation.

I will be honest, I cruised NCL a number of years ago. It was the worst cruise I've taken and I'll leave it at that. From what I have read here and elsewhere I've not been tempted to try them again.

We thought food in the DR on NCL Spirit was good (not Celebrity good but good), buffet was son so good plus same food every lunch.

Princess food overall was better, but I wouldn't call NCL's food horrible.

I have been on 3 NCL cruises...the Sky before it went to Hawaii .Crown and Majesty

The food on Sky and Crown was wonderful on Majesty HORRENDOUS!!!

Have not been back on NCL since 2006

Am looking at giving them another try however I do not believe in paying for Xtra restaurants when I already paid up front for my cruise .I also do not want to feel "obliged "to go to alternative paying restaurant to get decent food I expect that in the dining room and then some .I have been on many other lines Carnival,Princess,RCI,NCL,MSC ,COSTA,Celebrity .Usually all have been very acceptable in the dining room except for NCL MAjesty ...NOTHING COMPARES TO THAT!!!!YUK YUK YUK

Food on Princess...Excellent some things better then others but that is personal taste as well.and applies to all cruiselines

That being said should I try NCL again .I am very tempted by the transat on NCL Gem this Nov ..Feedback anyone???Dinner for me is a very important part of a cruise experience .Will I be happy on Gem ...price is quite good ...now to convince hubby to take care of kids for 2 weeks -teenagers that is ...

Here is a link to a sampling of NCL menus (both free and charge, I believe) from NCL Jade:

And here is a link to some sample Princess menus (these are from Coral Princess, Alaska but they show the new small plate/large plate menu idea):

http://imageevent.com/rcurry/coralprincessmenuspatters;jsessionid=1ml3369it3.zebra_s?p=2&n=1&m=16&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

After comparing the sample Princess menus, I actually prefer the choices that were available on our last cruise on the NCL Dawn. Those menus actually make me a bit worried about our upcoming Princess cruise. With the always available choices, I'm sure I'll be able to find something to eat, but several of the entrees weren't things that appealed to me.

What I like about Princess is, you don't find BBQ Ribs on the Menu, or fried chicken tenders...

Their is a ton of seafood, which we love, Pheasant, Lamb, things that we personally don't eat on a regular basis.

That is one thing I disliked about Carnival, the food was regular food I can find at place down the street, some like that idea, for me I like to try different things....BTW if you like scallops they were to DIE for on the crown last week.

I talked to my wife yesterday about cruising on NCL and she said remember that thing they tried to call a steak? LOL so no NCL for us.

After comparing the two, IMHO there is no question that Princess has a menu that is more varied, includes higher value ingredients, and has a higher degree of difficulty in preparation.

I will be honest, I cruised NCL a number of years ago. It was the worst cruise I've taken and I'll leave it at that. From what I have read here and elsewhere I've not been tempted to try them again.

Thanks for posting the menus after seeing I could get Surf and Turf on Princess or a Burrito on NCL I think I don't mind seeing the same ports again in a few months. :)

Hi flvol77!

I will admit, the time that you tried NCL, the menu choices were horrible. They have improved since then, if you ever do feel like giving them another try. No chicken tenders on our last sailing -- except possibly at the buffet or the Blue Lagoon, neither of which we tried.

I like seafood, but on a limited basis, and would not be interested in eating it every night on a cruise. Just glancing through the menus, the venison does nothing for me, or the pheasant. I tend to prefer beef, lamb, or pork -- but the the accompanying items (vegetables, starches, etc.) aren't things I particularly care for. As far as the appetizers go, the ones on NCL (particularly their chilled soups), are things I'm more interested in.

However, I'm willing to give Princess a try. I do think, however, the what each individual likes and dislikes is so diverse that it's impossible to base what someone else will consider "better" as their tastes may be so different from mine.

My first and last experience on NCL was a cruise on the then Dreamward. Reason I never went on another NCL cruise was the (IMHO) AWFUL food in dining room, buffets and poolside grill. My first, and I hope many more to come, experience on Princess was on the Crown in 2006 and LOVED the food in dining room, buffets, pizzeria, and poolside grill. The selection, preparation, presentation and most of all TASTE of food on Princess was far superior to what I experienced on NCL, really no comparison - again IMHO.

Two additional quick thoughts, First, I would not compare the NCL America ships (Pride of xxx) with the international fleet (Norwegian xxx). NCL America had many issues when it first started out and grew too fast. It is my understanding that now that NCLA is down to one ship (Pride of America) things are better and more consistent.

Second, I would look for opinions from people who have sailed both lines recently. It is my understanding that the "Carnivalization" of Princess has changed things on that line. Also things have improved on NCL since Freestyle and Freestyle 2.0. Look for thoughts from people who have sailed the newer ships such as the Norwegian Dawn, Star, Gem, Jewel, Pearl, Jade, Sun, and Spirit recently. I don't think opinions based on experiences from the old Norwegian Wind or Dreamward would reflect the offerings on the ships today.

WOW... I read those menus through until Asian night when I finally gave up. The thing that was weirdest to me was the stupid captions and subcaptions (?) at the top of each page. "Just say Oui!" "Dahlin even the beef here cuts like butta'" Too bizarre.

I've never sailed NCL so can't comment, but even just looking at the NCL menu and having sailed Princess a measly two times, I'd say Princess' food is better just in terms of selection.

Uh Lee? I have recently been on the NCL star and a princess ship. Granted no line is perfect, NCL SUCKED and I was not on American NCL. I was on the Star. All lines have went down in my opinion on things. However, NCL was disgusting in our opinion for the most part. Service was bad, slow and snotty, cabins were a filthy living mess, and the food was awful with the exception of the pay $20 for Teppeyaki. Obviously nothing is pefect on any line, but I can't tell you that I had even ONE enjoyable meal in the dining room. I could not wait to get out of there. Other lines have hit an miss on some menu items, but NCL was a big miss! :eek:

Two additional quick thoughts, First, I would not compare the NCL America ships (Pride of xxx) with the international fleet (Norwegian xxx). NCL America had many issues when it first started out and grew too fast. It is my understanding that now that NCLA is down to one ship (Pride of America) things are better and more consistent.

Second, I would look for opinions from people who have sailed both lines recently. It is my understanding that the "Carnivalization" of Princess has changed things on that line. Also things have improved on NCL since Freestyle and Freestyle 2.0. Look for thoughts from people who have sailed the newer ships such as the Norwegian Dawn, Star, Gem, Jewel, Pearl, Jade, Sun, and Spirit recently. I don't think opinions based on experiences from the old Norwegian Wind or Dreamward would reflect the offerings on the ships today.

True, the Pride line has one ship now. The reviews here are average and of the three people I know personally who cruised her two were disappointed. One even said the food was inedible and would not sail her again even if you paid him. For me I just seldom hear anything good about NCL whenever the subject comes up. In addition to my two friends a fellow cruiser on the Tahitian said she would never use NCL again based on her cruise with them. Another fellow passenger on the Star expressed dismay over their business practices as he was a consultant to NCL. The list could go on. When reviews improve then we'll see. JM2C.

both are good. I actually think they are similar and NCL can excel in some areas. But then again, you posted on a Princess site so I think you can guess Princess is going to win.

T.

Not all the way true. I'm not even a big Princess fan. I think they are okay. They are not my favorite line for sure, but I can tell you, I'd take them any day anyhow over NCL!

If basing strictly on food, Princess is way ahead of the game. NCL was the only cruise line where we were looking for another option, even buffet over what was being served in the dining room.

NCL did have some great shows and we took grandkids on NCL and they had a blast.

I agree with you. The food on NCL was terrible but the shows were fantastic. We sailed on the Jewel to Greece and saw a Cirque-type show that was awesome.

The only good food on NCL was in the specialty restaurants. The food in the main dining room was unfit to eat.

Not all the way true. I'm not even a big Princess fan. I think they are okay. They are not my favorite line for sure, but I can tell you, I'd take them any day anyhow over NCL!

I dont want to go back and count how many on this site chose Princess, but the majority of the replies seem to favor Princess. I would venture to guess that if you posted the same question on NCL the replies would favor Princess.

I have been on all different kinds of ships and I would say that the food on every line differs, and it differs from ship to ship within the line. They all have their strong points and weak points.

I would say that if I were to compare cruise ship food to land based restaurant food I would say that all the cruise ships, regardless of the line, have mediocre food.

I would venture to guess that if you posted the same question on NCL the replies would favor Princess.

LOL. Boy did I sound a bell with Princess fans! Sorry I meant to say that if you posted the same question on the NCL board that it would favor NCL.

Thanks

Archived