Sorry. It's our first cruise. We didn't know the etiquette...

Roboat

• 1 year later...
I don't know if this has been mentioned in the 11 pages.

Please don't roll your eyes at those who take elevators down just one floor. Some may be lazy but I am not.

I am able bodied and can walk up numerous flights of stairs but I have trouble with depth perception looking down. It makes walking down stairs extremely difficult as I feel I might fall.

It's no ones business why or how the elevator is used. It is there for use by whomever wants or needs it. Folks need to understand that everyone has different reasons for doing things. The elevator is for everyone to use for one flight or for five hundred flights. I never understand how elevator use is not an issue on land, but it is an issue while at sea. Let us stop sweating the little things and enjoy our vacations! Chuh!

Sent from my iPad

RCCL Monarch of the Seas June 2011

Carnival Miracle December 2011

Carnival Ecstacy December 2012

Carnival Imagination March 2013

Carnival Valor July 2013

Carnival Dream December 2013

Travel irons are not allowed.

Some lines have passenger self-service laundries and have irons in them.

Hooooold up. I'd been reading through this thread, mostly enjoying the show. :p Then I saw this comment.

Are you quite serious? They want me to dress up in finery, but don't either provide an iron or expect me to bring a travel iron?

We'll be traveling in Europe prior to our cruise. I've got to bring my travel iron as I've found an iron is not necessarily considered something a European hotel need provide. If we stay in the more Americanized hotels, of course they will have them, but staying in more European hotels well...why would I go to Europe to stay in America? Will I then have to mail my iron home before boarding? I just...you can't be serious?

Are you quite serious? They want me to dress up in finery, but don't either provide an iron or expect me to bring a travel iron?

I just...you can't be serious?

Yes, sorry. Personal irons are not allowed onboard (that's not to say that people haven't taken travel irons onboard with them and gotten away with it). Check with your cruise line to see if they provide self-service laundry rooms (which have the irons) - I know that Princess and Carnival do.

P.S. It's to prevent fires which would definitely put a damper on the cruise.

Yes, sorry. Personal irons are not allowed onboard (that's not to say that people haven't taken travel irons onboard with them and gotten away with it). Check with your cruise line to see if they provide self-service laundry rooms (which have the irons) - I know that Princess and Carnival do.

Exactly!

I've only read the first few pages of this thread & already feel a little intimidated as a first time cruiser. I'm going on RCI liberty if the seas with my 3 children aged 14, 9 & 20 months & I feel a little nervous that everybody will be watching our every moves & judging my parenting skills & children's behaviour. ( although all 3 are very well behaved) I also must add that I didn't really learn any tips on what not to do on a "cruise" but just general behaviours & manners which we should all make an effort with as if we were in a resort or hotel on land? I do app prologue if this thread did change a few pages on but up to the 3rd page I just felt like the pro cruisers will be judging us & I may not enjoy as I'll be stressing about this thread? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Trolleydolley80, we were ALL first-time cruisers at one point so please don't feel intimidated. As you say, most of the information on here is based on common courtesy and reflects what people should already know - there are just those that choose to ignore it (and they're not always first-time cruisers).

Have a great cruise!

I've only read the first few pages of this thread & already feel a little intimidated as a first time cruiser. I'm going on RCI liberty if the seas with my 3 children aged 14, 9 & 20 months & I feel a little nervous that everybody will be watching our every moves & judging my parenting skills & children's behaviour. ( although all 3 are very well behaved) I also must add that I didn't really learn any tips on what not to do on a "cruise" but just general behaviours & manners which we should all make an effort with as if we were in a resort or hotel on land? I do app prologue if this thread did change a few pages on but up to the 3rd page I just felt like the pro cruisers will be judging us & I may not enjoy as I'll be stressing about this thread? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

People are people, no matter how many cruises they have taken. Just remember common courtesy and you/your family will be fine. No reason to stress about anything.

I just got off a cruise with two DDs - a 13 and 8 1/2 year old (the first time we cruised with them) - there were two things I had to worry about (and get over) when it came to my kids: (1) dealing with the fact they would rather spend time with their new friends/at Ocean Adventure at night/sea days instead of with me and my DW; and (2) waiting up for my 13 year old when she stayed with her friends at the teen disco late at night (even with us giving her permission to stay out late and knowing where she was).

Enjoy your cruise.

Travelingert, personal irons are NOT allowed on any cruise line, and it will most likely be taken when they X-ray your luggage before boarding. If you bring the iron, you'll probably get called to the naughty room to open your bags and it will be taken. Heck, they tried to take my extension cord for my mobility scooter before I explained what it was for.

As a new cruiser you may not understand a few things. The electrical systems on ships are very tricky, and you can easily start an electrical fire in the walls by using an iron. All cruise lines have a pressing service that's very reasonable. And in all reality, after 72 cruises, I've realized that a few wrinkles in your clothes is absolutely no big deal. Everyone wears wrinkled clothes. But if you're still concerned about a few wrinkles, and you don't want to pay for pressing, you can bring wrinkle release or hang your clothes in the bathroom while you shower. You'd be surprised how nicely the wrinkles fall out in a steamy bathroom.

Although it is your vacation, recognize that it is also everyone else's vacation as well!

I think think this is the best one . Remember everybody:

-the world does not revolve around you.

-the world does not revolve around me.

-the world does not revolve around ANY of us :).

Yes, sorry. Personal irons are not allowed onboard (that's not to say that people haven't taken travel irons onboard with them and gotten away with it). Check with your cruise line to see if they provide self-service laundry rooms (which have the irons) - I know that Princess and Carnival ydo.

I, quite innocently, took a travel iron on our first two trips and both times they "got through" security - I had no idea I was breaking the rules. Disney, also, has a self-service laundry, with lots of available irons.

Hey guys! I'm new to cruising too and I've read a lot about not saving chairs but what's the appropriate thing to do with your towel etc if you're swimming? Thanks!

When swimming, leave your stuff on a chair. That is fine.

Hey guys! I'm new to cruising too and I've read a lot about not saving chairs but what's the appropriate thing to do with your towel etc if you're swimming? Thanks!

If you are actually swimming, then leave the towel on your chair. The chair hogs are those that place towels on their chairs sometimes hours before they even go swimming, or leave the pool area for hours to have lunch, go to an activity, etc.

I took a picture during my last cruise (I would post it, but have not downloaded it from my camera yet) of a line of chairs with towels and other personal items with noone on any of the chairs. It was 5:30 am and the sun had not even fully risen yet. It was a windy and cool morning, and would be for a while. There were about 7 or 8 people total on deck at that time, and 5 of them were cruise staff cleaning the deck/windows. Although it did interupt my morning routine, I had to stop, laugh and take the picture (I take my camera almost everywhere).

If you're swimming you are fine leaving your things on the chair. The chair hogs are the people that come and put a towel on the chair at 6 am then go back to bed, go eat, go to a show, etc. for several hours and expect their things to be there when they get back.

If you are in the immediate pool area (which includes using the rest room or getting a drink from the pool bar), you can keep your towel on the chair as long as you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...

Bring some small gifts for your room steward.

These staff do so much for so little and offen send their money back to their countries for their families to live.

I take soap, toothbrushes, trinkets, and toys for them.

I also take clothes that I can leave for them (they do get days off and some just don't have clothes outside their uniforms.

A little goes a long way and you will see how happy it makes them, and it makes your trip better...they will pay you more attention etc.

all around a compassionate feel good thing to do.

cheers ~ Nat ;)

Bring some small gifts for your room steward.

These staff do so much for so little and offen send their money back to their countries for their families to live.

I take soap, toothbrushes, trinkets, and toys for them.

I also take clothes that I can leave for them (they do get days off and some just don't have clothes outside their uniforms.

A little goes a long way and you will see how happy it makes them, and it makes your trip better...they will pay you more attention etc.

all around a compassionate feel good thing to do.

cheers ~ Nat ;)

I do not bring any of this for our steward. I figure much of it would just get thrown away. If warranted, I give cash beyond the standard tip. As you said, they are sending much of their money home, they need more money.

I do not bring any of this for our steward. I figure much of it would just get thrown away. If warranted, I give cash beyond the standard tip. As you said, they are sending much of their money home, they need more money.

I think the post you responded to was meant as a joke.

I think the post you responded to was meant as a joke.

I also didn't take it as a joke. I have heard of quite a few passengers that actually bring gifts for their room steward. If people really think before they bring something for a room steward (candy, hats, etc.), they would realize that it even 1/8 of the passengers bring gifts, the steward would not be able to get into their very small shared cabin, because there would be so much junk in there. Not to mention, one might think they know what they need or want, but they are probably wrong (i.e., many don't eat chocolate). The best thing to bring is extra cash to tip them additionally when they do a great job for you.

Archived