Sending laundry in .......

pppiglet

I did it twice, on the NCL Jewel, and didn't have any problems. They provide you with a laundry list -- you note what you're sending ( X number of shirts; x pants,; x underwear, etc.) and it all comes back with a tiny label in it identifying it as from the same batch.

The Jewel had two specials -- for $25, all you could stuff in their laundry bag (and we're good at stuffing! :) ) it got washed, folded, ironed if necessary, hung on hangers, etc. Excellent deal!

(Land-based laundries work the same way -- each item gets a small tag in an inconspicuous spot, identifying the pieces as coming from the same batch).

Have you ever not received something back or received someone else's things? Just wondering because I've never sent anything in before.

One of the funniest things that happened to us on a cruise! DH was missing a pair of gray slacks after doing the "$20.00/bag" thing. We called the laundry and a young man showed up with a pair of little girl's gray panties :D . He found DH's slacks a few minutes later. :)

I've never done the laundry service. Can you specify cold water washing/low drying for some items that tend to shrink?

You can request the coolest temps available, but there's no such thing as cold water on a ship! We've never had a problem, but if what you want washed is important to you I'd suggest hand washing. Even then you're not going to get cold water :( .

Have you ever not received something back or received someone else's things? Just wondering because I've never sent anything in before.

We took advantage of the free laundry service on Carnival for platinum members and everything came back nicely folded and smelling fresh!

As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

We send things out to be laundered and it comes back OK, not as nicely pressed as if we did it at home, but then again we know a lot of people who never press their clothes at home. Both DH and I are a bit anal about nicely pressed clothing.

The stuff is clean and wearable, the cost is not that high in comparison to say, overweight luggage charges both ways for a heavy suitcase.

On our last cruise, the laundry/dry cleaning was taking its time and I had to call. They told me there was a discrepancy between what our list stated and what was actually there. So, instead of just delivering it, they held it hostage for a couple extra days. I told them (2 phone calls) to just send it and charge us for the discrepancy, we just needed clean clothes! Lo and behold, the discrepancy was a shirt that was similar in style and size to my husbands shirts, but it was not his shirt. We sent it back and were credited the amount on our seapass....and I do hope the gentleman got his shirt returned.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to my question....Yes we got everything back we put in teh $20 bag, but when it came back, the items all smelled like Acetone! I figured I would just bring them home and wash them, but the laundry guy came back and asked to see the bag. I gave him the empty bag and he smelled it and said "this one is ok". I said "no...it wasn't..all the clothes smelled like Acetone." He collected the items and said they would be rewashed for us. We got them back the next day, still with a slight smell. We just packed them up and hopefully I can get them fresh again here.

Is this a special that is only good on certain days? If so, when do they offer it?

Usually on the 3rd or 4th day on Carnival..... if you ask the room steward at the beginning of the week.... he should be able to tell you when it'll be.

Archived