Cruise Value Center agency went under...

Moonlight Beach

[quote name='biddy belle']I tried, 3 times ,to post the phone number of their consolidator @9:30 this morning, having been warned by HAL and the consolidator of a serious problem. Each post was deleted in a matter of minutes! This is totally unacceptable behavior for a website that is supposedly dedicated to the interests and well-being of cruisers! I googled the situation in a matter of minutes. Why did it take the Cruise Critic Powers That Be 5 HOURS to do the same? Could it be that they were influenced by advertising revenue from the aforementioned site? 100's of customers have 1000's of dollars in limbo with this agency. I am totally perplexed that Laura, and Cruise Critic, did not address this problem in a prompt and forthright fashion, rather than leave the decision up to the moderators. Let's see if this post makes it past the censors![/quote]

This afternoon the consolidator, Ensemble in NYC, was not aware of a problem. Since they do not sell cruises leaving their name should not be a problem.

[quote name='Jade13']This afternoon the consolidator, Ensemble in NYC, was not aware of a problem. Since they do not sell cruises leaving their name should not be a problem.[/quote]
I spoke to them at 10 this morning, and they were aware of an unidentified problem at that time, and promised to get back to me. Needless to say, they were MIA.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]HAL was amazing with me this afternoon. They allowed me to cancel my upcoming cruises which we booked with the "now gone" TA and I rebooked with one that I have faith will last.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]The folks I feel the worst for are those who made their final payments for their upcoming cruises to that TA, who then may have folded without paying the cruiseline. This company was known to post the payments to themselves, hold the money for about a month, then pay the lines.... I am afraid there are folks who will be SOL....:o[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#0000ff]I just feel fortunate that my payment was made to HAL and I have docs in hand for this weekend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B]Whoa........ Sher, you did get lucky.

Happy to hear it.

You're going to have a wonderful time!!!

Jade...... Sounds like a 'once in a lifetime' trip you have planned. Hope it is even more than you hope for.

[/B]

All bookers should ensure they authorise only HAL to make charges to their credit cards...

With the financial woes all over the place, it is most likely there will be many of these types of situations.

I feel sorry for the employees of theis company, someof who we had contact with, and they were very knowledgable and pleasant.

As consumers though, it is our responsibility to protect ourselves...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[quote name='bean bag'][COLOR="YellowGreen"]Eventually tech will take over, the personal touch will disappear and there won't be anymore travel agents. That isn't going to happen in the next couple of years, but I will admit, I wouldn't want to just be getting started in the business today and expect to make it my life's career. [/COLOR]

This will not happen in the cruise industry. There are simply too many questions and situations with booking for the average person for "tech" to wipe it out.[/QUOTE]I hope you are right, but I do see this coming. Again, I don't mean tomorrow, but eventually...I never thought I would see lots of changes we are all witnessing.

Nita

[quote]This will not happen in the cruise industry. There are simply too many questions and situations with booking for the average person for "tech" to wipe it out.[/quote]

[B]And that is what makes these Boards so valuable. More and more people will find their way here as there are fewer and fewer live voices with which they can speak when planning their cruises.

IMO....... ;)

[/B]

I found this article online that would indicate a slight bit of embezzlement on the part of one of the employees of the subject TA. She was convicted for $75,000, but the estimate is as high as $200,000 total. I don't know if this was a contributing cause of their demise, but it can't have helped. She was sentenced to 10 years in jail last month.

The article is here (unless removed by the censors..)

[URL]http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/employee_gets_10_years_for_ste.html[/URL]

This is just such a shame. I only just heard about this and I feel so badly for everyone involved at the agency and also anyone whose booking was affected at the time they went out.

When I book through an agent, I ask them to add into the the our agreement that the charge will be through the cruiseline and not the TA. Sometimes this is a problem with group cruises, but if you stipulate it must be a cruiseline charge, they will agree to it.

Any cruiseline, no matter how strong it may appear or how solvent, can go under. For that reason it's always good to insure your trip separately from both the TA and the cruiseline so you're covered in case of default by either.

They didn't think Lehman would go under either. In these times, there are no guarantees and we have to protect ourselves.

[quote name='brucory']
I feel sorry for the employees of theis company, someof who we had contact with, and they were very knowledgable and pleasant.

As consumers though, it is our responsibility to protect ourselves...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[/quote]

I dealt with Sherrie and Maggie. Maggie was really professional and handled a final payment for me. When I contacted her two weeks ago I was looking to double check e-mail confirmation on how my credit card was being charged and she assured me it was being takn care of personally by her the following Monday.

I wonder if any of these employees knew the company was going to fold so quickly? Normally you would cut a 75 person staff down to a smaller number.

Up until this year they did charge directly to the cruise line. Suddenly that stopped and I was told they were bought by a larger travel agency. I wonder who that would be as this may not be the end of the problems.

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Where are you getting that idea. Travel agents only set final payment up a week or so sooner than the vendors to make sure everything is in and nothing goes wrong. They do not keep any money (or the better ones don't) payments go directly to the vendor, be it a cruise line or land vacation...You give the company permission to charge your credit card, the payment is never seen by the agency, it is either called in or entered in a system directly to the vendor and a conformation is generated at that very minute...

Choosing to do business directly with the vendor is fine and your choice, but not for the reason you just gave...

Nita[/QUOTE]

My Canadian TA agency set the final payment on my May 27th cruise for Feb 3rd. This is 38days in advance of what their own US online requests u pay (Mar 13) & is 113 days in advance of the cruise. I know cruiselines usually request 75 days.
I suspect that HAL is not getting the $ immediately...
Since this agency has always wanted final payment 90 days in advance anyway I suspect 'cause it is because it is Canuck but why increase the time frame now - perhaps they are in trouble?

I don't know about u but this sure bothers m. Wld u be be suspicious? IMO it seems to be a very good reason to book directly with the vendor..!

[quote name='Oceanwench']We also used this TA many times and things always went pretty smoothly.

Has anyone who has a cruise booked through this TA purchased insurance through this company?
DH handles the bookings, and he always buys the TA's insurance package ... which might mean we are out some $$$ now for a booking for fall 2009.
We checked with HAL and the deposit was received some time ago.
We checked our Am Ex and the charge was made to the TA, not the cruise line.

We buy our insurance at the time of booking because of the whole pre-existing condition issue ...
So would we be better off to call HAL and cancel our fall 2009 cruise and rebook it, buying insurance at the time of rebooking?

Btw, DH called HAL today and was told they are setting up a desk and staff to tackle this problem and will be calling us tomorrow.[/quote]

If HAL received your money, you should dispute the ITravel insurance portion with your credit card company if the insurance is not in place.

HTH and CSA Luxe sell policies that cover pre-existing conditions and can be bought at final payment.

[quote name='Jade13']Note that Cruise Value Center also books under TRACY SCOTT CRUISES CORPORATION in case anyone is looking for information.

I have not found much yet.[/quote]

They are still listed under Ensemble Travel if you plug in their zip code for TA's in "your" area.

I did find the owners (Kivet) direct Email not that it will do any good.

jkivet (AT) cruisevalue (DOT) com

[quote name='cruisecrasy']My Canadian TA agency set the final payment on my May 27th cruise for Feb 3rd. This is 38days in advance of what their own US online requests u pay (Mar 13) & is 113 days in advance of the cruise. I know cruiselines usually request 75 days.
I suspect that HAL is not getting the $ immediately...
Since this agency has always wanted final payment 90 days in advance anyway I suspect 'cause it is because it is Canuck but why increase the time frame now - perhaps they are in trouble?

I don't know about u but this sure bothers m. Wld u be be suspicious? IMO it seems to be a very good reason to book directly with the vendor..![/quote]

Was your trip booked in US$ or C$? Last year, my Canadian travel agency (affiliated with a U.S. credit card) used a U.S. affiliate as payee, *supposedly* to process the payment in U.S.$. It worked out fine, but I will never again use my credit card points to cruise for this reason.

I'd be concerned. Your options are to try to switch your booking to another agency or directly to HAL (which requires the original TA's consent - hard to get, and penalty fees may be involved)....or trying to get a commitment in writing when the payment will be made to HAL. I'd insist the payment be made at least 3 business days before HAL's due date, so you have time to follow up before your reservation would be canceled. Sadly, HAL won't talk to you directly while you have a TA.

[quote name='Jade13']I dealt with Sherrie and Maggie. Maggie was really professional and handled a final payment for me. When I contacted her two weeks ago I was looking to double check e-mail confirmation on how my credit card was being charged and she assured me it was being takn care of personally by her the following Monday.

I wonder if any of these employees knew the company was going to fold so quickly? Normally you would cut a 75 person staff down to a smaller number.

Up until this year they did charge directly to the cruise line. Suddenly that stopped and I was told they were bought by a larger travel agency. I wonder who that would be as this may not be the end of the problems.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkOrchid]You do know that one of the travel agents stole 75K from the company and was prosecuted don't you? That could have led to some of the problems financially.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I booked through this agency three times, the last being in 2007 after the agent stole the $75K in 2006. I'm actually sorry to see this agency go, their service for the cruises we booked through them was good and they were easy to deal with through emails or over the phone. I guess this is just a sign of the times and may be just the tip of the iceberg for many travel agencies closures. I know of at least two couples who have canceled cruises in the last few weeks because of the economy and the impact on their retirement funds. Could be a hard few years coming for cruises, resorts, etc., and therefore travel agencies as people tighten their belts.

[SIZE=3]Wow --- thats a shocker. We just got off the Ryndam yesterday and had used CVC on that and about 15 prior cruises. This is very sad since they had very good prices and were well run, as far as I could see.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would have suspected that they would be one of the last to fall and not the first. This economy is getting scary.[/SIZE]

DH wants to know if TA's aren't required to be bonded? He assumes ASTA would insist upon it, and, if so, couldn't CVC be back up and running soon? We've used them 4 times in the past, with good results, and have a future cruise booking for 2010 with them. AND, as members of ASTA and BBB, their credentials were in order. There's not an online TA out there who hasn't had complaints against them, so is direct booking with the cruiselines the only alternative?

Bonding is one thing but if they've gone under because of lack of business then they're gone for good....assuming somebody doesn't buy the name or the company and bring it back to life. The bonding would only take care of present bookings as I understand it, not business failure in general.

BalconyBumz...

Thanks for the reassurance on the TA with the best price... we are still cruisin' newbies, and it's scary to think that our two booked cruises(!!!) might also become screwed up! *gasp*

It's good to know what to watch for, that's for sure!

I do not believe that ASTA membership dictates any amount of financial bonding. It is more an educational, lobbyist and support group.

This is different from the requirements of membership in tour operator groups, such as USTOA or NTA to which the like of Abercrombie and Kent might belong. The tour operator groups do require bonding for applicant operators to obtain membership.

The bonding requirements vary from state to state depending on the licensing requirements for THAT state. Iowa for example only requires $10,000 in bond to operate as a travel agent (or at least that is what they used to require - haven't looked at it in a couple of years). Some states don't require TAs to be licensed at all so it's possible they wouldn't have to be bonded at all depending on where they are located.

I always watch to be sure that the Cruise Line is the one charging my credit card. No sure that a TA should ever be allowed to take payment as themselves.

I work as a Financial Advisor and by rule I am never to take cash or have checks made out to me for Investments.

Bottom line Always have payments taken by cruise line. Cruise line can then pay the commission to the TA.

Archived