We're on Maasdam - Pinch Me!!

sail7seas

No matter how many times we come to Maasdam, no matter how many times we have loved this ship, each time we come, it is the same excitement and joy and thrill to be here.

Because we have sailed Maasdam so much, there is such a familiarity and comfort zone and her warm, caring crew are so incredible that I always feel I need to pinch myself to belive that Yes, Maasdam really is as special as we always think her.

We left home early Wednesday morning, easy/uneventful flight to FLL and quick check -in at Hyatt Pier 66. The hotel is still lovely and we greatly enjoyed our two days there.

We had a very special dinner Thursday night with HAL friends who were in town for the night and we all dined together at Grille 66. We hated for the evening to end......... it flew by so fast but that is how it happens when with people you love and look so forward to seeing and grab the opportunity that arises.

We checked out of the hotel about 10:40, short cab ride to Port Everglades and we were immediately passed through check-in and were aboard before had time to lug along my carryon. :)

Maasdam is starting to be decorated for Christmas. We were here last year just about this same time so it's fun to compare the decorations this year and what has gone up so far is very tasteful and bearing some Dutch theme here and there which, of course, I love. On the table beside the glass display case at Explorer's Lounge are the prettiest wooden shoes with lovely Christmas pieces. Pretty as could be. Beautful wreaths on the brass railing all the way around the atrium staircase.... pretty different colored mini bulbs beautifully in place.

The very excellent Firmin van Walle is Hotel Manager and one always knows when he is aboard. Everything runs perfectly. He doesn't miss a thing and all is tended to seemingly seamlessly. Of course, we know it is not so easy but as a guest we get to enjoy the result without realizing the effort.

Captain Henk Draper is guiding us safely on the smoothest seas you can imagine. We have done this route many, many times and Maasdam is giving us a fabulously smooth ride under blue skies and warm sun. It's a joy to be aboard.

We had the Captain's Welcome aboard toast last night and Captain Draper did it Just Right! Perfect!

Gildus is Dining Room Manager and taking such excellent care of all of us. Our dinners the last two evenings have been delicious. Good and served just right and we could not have enjoyed them more.

Certainly for us, just being here is what we come for. The islands are incidental to our time on the ship. We love seeing crew we've known for years and some feel like family to us. These are friends we treasure as much as any....they just happen to live a certain amount of time each year on the ships.

Yesterday was one Mariner's Lunch and our turn is today.

Must end now to go dress and get ready.

More when I break myself away from everything we are enjoying here.

(Sorry for typos .... at these internet rates, I don't proofread.)

I'm glad to hear that you are safely aboard the Maasdam. The ship sounds lovely, and I too know that you are in good hands with Mr. van Walle as your Hotel Manager. I wish that I could steal him away for our Noordam sailing in January. Enjoy your time on YOUR ship, and thanks for taking the time to post.

OK PINCH :)

Eloise had the Plaza, Sail has the Maasdam *LOL*

Glad the trip has been so nice so far , and that you are back on your special ship. I know how much you love her and her crew.

Have a wonderful time and looking forward to your reports.

Enjoy:)

Pinch you? I would love to be able to, as that would mean I was aboard, too! :D Such a pleasant change from the gray, gloomy day here (with a touch of snow coming down).

Where did the time go? I didn't even get a chance to wish you a "Bon Voyage" before you were out of town. :o Please accept my best wishes for a grand time on "your" Maasdam now.

Glad to see you are home. You know Sail7Seas you do show me the other side of the coin in having a favorite ship. I go whatever line the itinerary dictates but having read your posts for a while and seeing your joy in "Being Home" you showed me that there is a penalty of neutrality from going where the winds blow. Makes me wish I had a "Home" ship.

Have a wonderful cruise m'dear.

Mary

Sail,

Thank you for taking us along with you on your Maasdam cruise. My favorite Beverage Manager, Hans Becker, embarked with you on December 5th. Not only is he an excellent manager but he is also a wonderful person and I am sure that you will meet him at some point. Please tell him hello for me. Have a wonderful cruise. Look forward to your updates:)

Wendy

(Sorry for typos .... at these internet rates' date=' I don't proofread.)[/b']
My friend, don't you give a thought to typos ... we just love hearing about your sailing.

Have a wonderful time in this blessed season of the year ... and enjoy "your" Maasdam.

Blue skies and smooth seas!

--rita

Sail,

Thank you for taking us along with you on your Maasdam cruise. My favorite Beverage Manager, Hans Becker, embarked with you on December 5th. Not only is he an excellent manager but he is also a wonderful person and I am sure that you will meet him at some point. Please tell him hello for me. Have a wonderful cruise. Look forward to your updates:)

Wendy

Wendy ... We had a lovely chat with Hans in Ocean Bar this evening before dinner. What a delightful gentleman.

We dined in Pinnacle tonight off the new menu and it was delicious. I had the veal chop and it was tender and juicy and a wonderful treat. DH enjoyed the steak he likes so much. We have reservations for several more dinners there.

Today was our Mariner's Luncheon and we enjoyed it. Captain gave a nice talk about the various award levels, the changes coming to the "S" class ships and Hotel Manager gave a toast. Very nice.

Lots of wine was poured and it was fun.

We've heard there will be another gathering later in the cruise for those with 100 and more days. We'll look forward to that.

We are meeting friends in St. Thomas for lunch who are sailing on Statendam. We share Crown Bay with them.

We share Dominica with Noordam and I'm excited to see the other ship I love so much.

How wonderful to have had these relaxing sea days at the beginning of our cruise. We had such perfect weather and now are ready for some port calls. San Juan tomorrow and then St. Thomas. How fantastic to go to each and not have an Immigration Inspection. We won't have to clear until we return to FLL.

The ship is almost (if not completely) full. Future cruise consultant has been busy whenever we pass by so it is no secret HAL cruisers are still doing lots of booking and sailings. We certainly plan to buy a few future cruise deposits while aboard.

The ship is in wonderful shape, the crew is as magnificent as always and we are loving every moment aboard.

Thanks for your nice messages.

If anyone has questions, I'm happy to try to get answers.

I'll check back later. I didn't bring my laptop so am in Internet Cafe.

Bye for now..........

(didn't proof :) )

Sail,

Wendy

Wendy, count Tom and I in as big fans of Hans Becker :) I think he is great!!!

Sail I am so glad you have met him already :)

We call the Maasdam "our ship" too! We were last there in late October of this year.

Sail, please hug Gildus for us too, ("us" are George and Marney) and tell him that I have not forgotten the Indonesian words he added to my still-baby vocabulary and that I'll know a lot more by the time we're back on the Maasdam again.

If you have a chance to have Holy (pronounced holley) as your dining steward you'll be delighted with his service as well! When last seen he was working mid-ship, upper level of the dining room. Port side for one of our cruise segments, starboard for the other.

marney

Satellite was down yesterday so no chance to post.

We had a glorious day in San Juan and went ashore for the day and part of the evening. Lunch at The Parrot Club and dinner at Dragonfly. They offered a barbeque on deck for those who wanted to stay aboard. There were three Carnival ships, and RCI and one other in port with us so lots of people. We had a GREAT time.

Today STT was a few showers and windy but for the most part a fine day. We met friends who are sailing on Statendam which was docked beside us at Crown Bay. We went over to Yacht Haven Marina first and had a very positive customer service experience I'll talk about later but very impressive that they went out of their way to please.

Then met our friends, lunch at a great Italian restaurant, visited together and we all returned to Crown Bay.

Bami Goreng on the menu in the dining room tonight and I was thrilled. We haven't had it for several years and I really enjoyed it. Delicious.

VIP (or whatever it is called) party tonight. Certainly over a 100 people and fun. Always very pleasant time and tonight was no exception.

Yesterday, our roll call had a second get together.....a cocktail party but it was planned for 4:30. Those of us with 8:00 seating weren't dressed and out for the evening at that time so we missed it. It was too inconvenient a time. Funny, but I've barely seen CC'ers around too much but then again we were off the ship a lot.

Seeing it takes so long to post with internet more slow than normal, I'll sign off for now.

Same caution..... (didn't proof read. :o )

Archived