LIVE From The Eurodam 2WK Holiday Cruise ...Brought To You By LAFFNVEGAS

LAFFNVEGAS

Lisa,

I agree with you and with Ruth that the Pinnacle on the Eurodam wasn't "up to snuff." Like Ruth, I also chalked it up to being inexperience of the staff working together on the Inaugural cruises, but it sounds like that might not have been the whole problem. I find that disappointing, but not all that surprising. I've loved some Pinnacles -- on the Rotterdam, the Zaandam, the Oosterdam, and the Statendam I found the service quick and the quality good; on the Noordam and Westerdam I thought the services was SSSSSLLLLOOOOWWWW, and on the Eurodam I thought the Pinnacle simply failed in terms of quality of food, presentation, and service. Unfortunate.

On another point ... have you had a chance to check out the Northern Lights yet? If/when you do, make sure to get photographs of you and Tom dancing on the tables. :D

............... There were two other ships in port a MSC and Aida Avida (at least that is what I think it was) it looks like an older NCL ship.

ms AIDAvita (built in 2002 for AIDA) from German Cruise Line AIDA Kreuzfahrten (Cruises), yet another company now owned by the Carnival Corporation; Watch the lips (and the eyes)!;)

Ship+Photo+AIDAvita.jpg

Lisa: Have you tried the Rijstaffel special dinner in the Tamarind. You have to order it and they do it only for a few people at a time. It costs $20 more but is an experience. Of course, the lovely young women that serve you make it extra special. My wife, Carol, did have a yummy Choc. Souffle dessert (dining room) on the Noordam a few wks ago.Merry Christmas

Lisa: Have you tried the Rijstaffel special dinner in the Tamarind. You have to order it and they do it only for a few people at a time. It costs $20 more but is an experience. Of course, the lovely young women that serve you make it extra special. My wife, Carol, did have a yummy Choc. Souffle dessert (dining room) on the Noordam a few wks ago.Merry Christmas

On Westerdam in June I don't think I saw a chocolate souffle on the menu, but they did have something listed as "Warm Chocolate Pudding" which I pictured as being similar to the Jello variety until the dessert tray came by. It was almost identical to the Chocolate Volcano in the Pinnacle. REALLY good stuff! (Obviously... if I'm talking about it months later, right? :))

Wednesday December 24th, 2008

Merry Christmas from the MS Eurodam in now sunny St. Maarten

It is about 4:25 and we just got back to our cabin from a very FULL day here in St. Maarten. I really love this island despite the fact that it rained a good portion of the day on and off for our tour.

First I have to say that my last report I said we were heading for the show and to see the Indonesian Crew show and I am embarrassed to say we got caught watching the movie Fred Claus and it was funny and cute and it did not end till about 10:50 by that time we definitely missed the comedian and I was getting tired so we ended up reading and going to bed since the wake up call was for 7:30.

This morning I actually woke up before the wake up call at 7 to watch us nearing St Maarten and watch us dock. There are 5 ships in port today the MSC Lira is anchored and tendering and the 4 ships at the very nice dock here is the Carnival Glory in front of us across from her is the new Celebrity Solstice and across from us is the Crown Princess.

We got up to the Lido at about 8 to have breakfast, had another great omelet, then back to our cabin to grab our stuff and head downstairs to meet the tour at 9:15. The tour actually did not get underway till closer to 10 by the time they placed us on busses but we then headed off with Pauline as our tour guide we first headed over the French side of the island. Thankfully the stops to take pictures the rain had stopped. We had showers most of the morning. On the French side in Marina Fort Louis we boarded a catamaran that served as much rum punch as one could consume. Once we boarded we were told we had an hour if we wanted to go shopping at the Flea Market there in Marigot. Many did take advantage of it but because it was pouring rain we decided to just stay on the boat and enjoy the punch. At about 12:15 we took off on the catamaran and headed back to the Dutch side via water. The skies started to clear and the sun shined brightly as we got off in Phillipsburg. This afternoon we did the most shopping and walking that we have done during these 2 weeks in the Caribbean. We really like St Maarten and definitely want to return. I thought the prices were fair and everything was sold to us in US dollars. I did not purchase any jewelry but if the economic times were a bit different I definitely would have bought a couple of items. We did purchase a few T-Shirts and I found a very nice purse.

We decided since the weather was so nice this afternoon we would walk back to the ship which is about a 20 minute walk. We then did a little shopping at the little shops here at the Cruise Port Center. Let me say that this is probably one of the nicest Cruise Port Centers we have been to. Actually like I said we were extremely impressed for our first visit to St Maarten and definitely want to return.

Tonight we have 6 PM reservations at the Tamarind and it is also a Formal Night with a very special menu like I have never seen in the Main Dining Room. We thought about it but decided that we really want ed to return to the Tamarind and spend the last two nights in the Dining Room. Although some of the items on tonight’s menu is some type of Holiday Goose, English Prime Rib with Yorkshire Pudding, then there was a Pheasant dish. Unfortunately since we are not S Suite passengers this week we do not have the menu so this is just from memory this morning when I saw it. It does look very different and very special for Christmas. I am hoping that tomorrow night will be just as good for Christmas night.

Tonight the shows have all been moved up an hour to 7 PM and 9 PM which will be Dream Park but then we also have the VIP Party in the Crow’s Nest then at 9:30 the Holiday Ball followed by the Eurodam Holiday Choir Concert. Not sure exactly when Santa arrives but I was told that the Captain was going to show him landing on the Bow in all the stateroom TVs.

Not sure of the total agenda for Christmas Day other than at 10:45 we will meet in the Queen’s Lounge with the other Medallion Holders prior to the 11:30 Mariner lunch.

I cannot believe that we have just two days left of this wonderful 2 weeks of cruising the MS Eurodam. We only wish we could stay on for another week or two but I need to get to work and so does Tom and I am sure the pets and our son at home are not too thrilled with our being gone this long already.

Time for me to get ready for our Christmas Eve Formal Night.

I want to take this opportunity to wish each and everyone of you a Very Merry Christmas. Thanks for following along.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Eurodam.

Lisa, Tom, Merry Christmas to you both on the MS Eurodam! May the rest of your cruise, and the coming new year, be filled with joy and calm seas. I will give a thought to you and Tom enjoying the Christmas Eve evening festivities while we truly celebrate, on land, in our Midnight Eucharist service. As much as I love to cruise, I truly would rather be no place other than right here. Someday -- after I retire -- I'll find out what a Christmas cruise is like. :) Untill then, Godspeed and Merry Christmas!

I actually asked HAL last week if there was a special Christmas menu (I thought maybe that was what lured you to do a second week) and just got this reply. They told me it may be slightly varied based on quality of ingredients, but this is the menu intended across the fleet on XMAS Eve

All I can say is YUM!! :D

International Christmas Eve

December 24th 2008

Appetizers

Caribbean Fruit Mélange

Sliced mango, papaya, orange and strawberry marinated in coconut and melon-flavored liqueur with a lychee garnish

Scandinavian Salmon Sampler

Duo of gravlax and smoked salmon with mustard dill sauce

Asian Ming Thai Crab Cakes

With sweet ginger creamed wasabi and mango salad

Soups & Salad

Russian Borscht

Rich simmered soup with red beets and vegetables

German Lentil Soup

With sausage and vegetables

Mexican Gazpacho

With tomatoes, vegetables, corn, cilantro and lime juice

Spanish Tomato Salad

Beefsteak tomato with orange slices, oregano and black olives drizzled with aged fig balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil

Entrées

Austrian Roasted Goose

Oven roasted goose, red wine braised cabbage, poached apple with cranberries and William potato

Canadian Maple Snapper with Cranberry Sauce

Served with green bean almandine, carrot batons and Parmesan mashed potato

Italian Seafood Penne

Penne tossed with sautéed shallots, asparagus, olives, roasted garlic, fresh thyme leaves and juicy roasted tomatoes, topped with grilled salmon and shrimp

Norwegian Crackling Pork Loin

With braised red cabbage, boiled potatoes and gravy

American Glazed Ham

Glazed oven-baked Smithfield ham, with wild rice and rum raisin sauce

English Roasted Prime Rib

Roasted prime rib of beef with roasted potatoes and parsnips, green beans and Yorkshire pudding

Netherlands Braised Pheasant

Braised in champagne sauerkraut and served with mashed potato and assorted root vegetables

Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Risotto

Oven-roasted vegetables on a bed of creamy risotto with balsamic vinegar

Available Daily

French Onion Soup “Les Halles”

A Parisian classic of golden simmered onions topped with melted Gruyère cheese

Classical Caesar Salad

Hand-cut hearts of crisp romaine tossed with our very own Caesar dressing, grated Parmesan cheese, garlic croutons and anchovies

Grilled Coho Salmon

Grilled and basted with fresh lemon, served with vegetables of the day and steamed rice

Perfectly Grilled Breast of Chicken

A lightly seasoned boneless breast with red skin potatoes, vegetables of the day

Broiled New York Steak

New York steak aged to perfection, accompanied with the daily offering of vegetables and garlic-spiked mashed potatoes

Desserts

French Chocolate Yule Log

Traditional French Christmas cake with chocolate butter cream

Australian Pavlova

Traditional Australian dessert garnished with whipped cream and fresh fruit

Southern U.S. Pecan Pie

With maple almond brittle

Canadian Bread Pudding NO SUGAR ADDED

Cherry almond bread pudding

Sliced Fruit Plate

An assorted selection of fresh fruit

Assorted Cheese Plate

A spectrum of full-flavored cheeses accompanied by dried fruits and nuts, assorted crisp crackers and French bread

Holiday Christmas Cookies and Petit Fours

Served with your coffee

Frozen Treats

Vanilla Ice Cream

Cherry Burgundy Ice Cream

Eggnog Ice Cream

Mango Sorbet

Cookies ‘N Cream Low Fat Frozen Yogurt

Chocolate Ice Cream – NO SUGAR ADDED

Vanilla Ice Cream – NO SUGAR ADDED

Belgian Sundae

A generous mound of coconut ice cream draped in a cloak of warm chocolate fudge sauce with sweetened whipped cream and toasted almonds

Beverages

Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee, Espresso, Cappuccino, Assorted Teas, Decaffeinated Tea, Iced Tea or Milk

Lisa, thanks so much for your posts. You have a way of writing that gives all of us stuck on land a glimpse of the sea. Thanks to for the expense you go to to have daily reports.

Glad the Eurodam is working for you, and that Rev's step appears to be fixed.

I hope that we can meet up on a cruise again soon. Werin misses her adopted cruise critic godmother! (couldn't resist as it was such a surprise to see you on the "O" a year and a half ago with one of James Deering's last sailings with HAL) -- hope you don't mind, but your appearance with Tom really started our cruise off right.

Merry Christmas and all we wish you all kinds of blessings in the New Year!

Merry Christmas Lisa & Tom - and all the other CCer's on the board.

Glad you are having a wonderful time and enjoy the Eurodam. I've really enjoyed your posts. I now feel more confident that we would enjoy the Eurodam, as I've been wanting to book a cruise on her.

I was reading a thread today from someone who sailed with you last week and they had some excellent photos - you & Tom were in some as well. The ship looks beautiful and even more special when decorated for Christmas. I have to find a way to do a Holiday cruise.

Anyway, best wishes and may God bless in the upcoming year.

Thursday December 25, 2008

Christmas Day on board the Beautiful MS Eurodam.

Merry Christmas and WOW what a great Christmas Eve Night and Christmas Day Morning it was. I will start back from when I last wrote when we were going to get ready for Christmas Eve Formal night.…

We had made reservations for the Tamarind for Wednesday evening the previous week because based on the menu we thought that would be another good night. But since we knew we most likely would be invited to the VIP Party we made reservations for 6 PM figuring that would be early enough to still attend since it is held n the Crow’s Nest from 7:30 to 8:15. We arrived in the Tamarind about 5 minutes before 6 and found we were most likely about the first to dine in there for the evening. Oddly the service was extremely slow, while the food was as wonderful as it had been on the 13th there was always about 10 to 25 minutes between when we finish one serving till we were served the next item. The worst was the time between the Main course and dessert where it was 25 minutes. Last night I actually had the Wasabi Soy Filet which was excellent along with Sashimi which was good but obviously not quite as fresh as when we were here the 13th and the Coconut Lemon Grass Chicken Pho soup. Then I also had the Tempura Ice Cream which was wonderful but unfortunately dinner took well over 2 hours we were not able to walk out of there till 8:10 fortunately we were still able to see a few people we knew that had remained up in the Crow’s Nest which was good. After chatting with some of those people we headed to the Explorer’s Lounge so I could have another one of those tasty Spanish Coffees.

We spend just about an hour in the Explorer’s Lounge enjoying the Adagio Strings. By the way I want to metnion that this past Saturday they must have brought on tons more Poinsettias because they are every where making the ship even more festive than last week. We stayed in the Explorer’s Lounge till it was about 9:30 and figured we would make out way to the Queen’s Lounge to go to the Holiday Ball. To my surprise there were no Ship’s Officer’s in attendance or even Shane Michaels the Cruise Director but we did hang out watching those that were dancing. The band was of course Robyn and the HAL Cats. Tom had actually thought he wanted to go back to the cabin before 11 so he could change out of his tux but we were enjoying the people watching too much.

About 10:40 we figured we better make our way to the Main Stage to see the Holiday Choirs of the MS Eurodam. What a wonderful performance. First was the Multi Nationalities with many of the Officers including Mark Pells the Hotel Manager and Amber Coomer the Guest Relations Manager. They did great and next up was the Filipino group which also was great and last was the Indonesian which was absolutely wonderful including Hal’s very own Burt Reynolds on the guitar. Then ended by all coming out thru the audience with candles singing Silent Night. It was very touching then the amazing part that just brought tears to every was that they led everyone to exit the Main Stage on the Port side and out the doors they had all the crew that performed lined up wish everyone leaving Merry Christmas. How absolutely wonderful this was. It brings tears to my eyes just writing about it.

Next up was the Late Night Snack which was numerous stations of foods they called Foods of the World which started neat the mid ship elevators with Asian food and ended at the Explorer’s Lounge. All the stations were nicely decorated especially the dessert stations. I took plenty of pictures and will of course post them all once we get home and I do not have to pay for internet time.

I think we finally headed back to the cabin at about 12:40 and Tom decided he wanted to sleep in for Christmas morning in the back of my mind I was thinking I wanted to definitely attend the Atrium Christmas Caroling at 9 AM sure enough I awoke at 8 AM (had to be those Rein Deer making noise back here in the aft) any way I was ready to go down stairs at about 8:50. I went to Deck 2 first to scope out where I wanted to be but decided that being on the Main Deck 1 and looking up would be the best and it was. They handed out little books of words to Christmas Carols and the Adagio Strings performed along with the Singers of the Eurodam stood on the glass stair case in the atrium. Oh I forgot to mention but all the crew last night and this morning were all wearing Santa Hats. The Bar Staff were all walking around in all three levels of the atrium with trays of Egg Nogg which was really good because the glass was dipped in cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkled with nut meg. They also walked around with trays of cookies. The singing was fun then it started to snow, yes you read that right from deck 3 they started to drop white confetti that actually made it look like snow. They just kept it coming so that Main Deck was covered totally white, there were even some snow balls being thrown.;) In between the singing Captain Mercer first announced that they have detected something strange on the ship’s radar, then he again announced that he could make out a sleigh with rein deer and possibly Santa, then he announced that Santa landed on the ship and was coming down one of the smoke stacks. Santa then arrived on up Deck 3 atrium to the cheers of lots of kids. Santa announced for everyone to head to the Main Stage where he would personally greet all the children. What fun it was of course I too made my way to the Main Stage to watch Santa up on stage. The children were all given gifts and had their pictures taken with Santa. Several crew were dressed as elves. It was just a very fun morning that made you feel good and very happy to be on the Eurodam.

About 10:20 I headed up to the cabin where I found Tom reading, he did say that the Captain did make the announcements about spotting Santa on the ship’s PA system and it was broadcasted in the cabins so we know it was very important.:) The Medallion Mariners were to meet at 10:45 in the Queens Lounge which is where we headed. Like last week they first showed the Eurodam short video of the Inauguration. There actually were more medallion holders than I thought there would be but not quite as many as last week.

We then all processed to the Rembrandt Dining where as you entered they took pictures of us with the Captain and Hotel Manager. This whole process is wonderful and very impressive but again it is at that point it just falls off and they need to change this. Not one medallion holder is told where to be seated and the servers just guide every one to sit all of the place. On other ships we have often been assigned tables or at least been told to sit at the tables on the raised area in the center of the back of the dining room. Here the Medallion holders are all over the place. One lady who we had met yesterday on our tour who had close to 800 days with HAL we saw her and her husband sitting alone at a table with no one else that sat there. Had people not already joined us at our table I would have gotten up to join them. I did see the Amber the GRM sitting at another table but she was the only Officers I saw that was eating with the Mariners. Shane talks and introduces the Future Cruise Consultant and also acknowledges each level of Mariner sort of like they use to do when it was just a Cocktail Party. While I know this is petty they just need to take it a step farther to make it a great Marinor's Brunch.

Now being Christmas Day I had originally thought they would place the tiles at the table but like last week they were delivered to our cabin Wednesday evening. Now remember last week when I mentioned the menus were in a little plastic Eruodam frames well I am glad that Tom and I got them last week because this week the menus were in the usual hard folder but the menu had some very different items for Mariners on Christmas Day.

The Appetizer selections was

Christmas Seafood Cocktail with King Prawn

Or

(Now this next item was the one that got Tom and I giggling)

Caesar salad with grilled pigeon breast, pistachio and truffle oil.

YES, you read that right “pigeon breast”

Entrée

Pan-fried Atlantic sole filet topped with lobster claws, mushrooms and leeks on sautéed spinach with Pommery mustard sauce and fingerling potatoes.

Let me say that this was the best entrée I have had in a long time.

The 2nd item was

Venison medallion with poached pear in red wine accompanied by cranberry foam with green peppercorn sauce, macabre potatoes and assorted vegetables.

The third entrée was the Cheddar quiche with the small salad that they normally offer.

Dessert was “Brat Apfel” which is braised apple with almonds, butter and raisins flavored with rum and served with vanilla sauce.

It was definitely a bit of a special Christmas Day Mariner’s Lunch.

Whew… I think I have caught you all up on the happenings so far. I had originally thought I might go to the Thermal Suite this afternoon but instead I think I am going to relax and do a bit of reading before our early dinner. Tonight’s dinner again looks a bit special with serving Lobster and Filet separately as well as a Christmas Turkey dinner. Tonight they are calling it an “Optional” Formal night. I have not decided yet if I will wear a long dress or my black cocktail dress. Tonight’s entertainment is a comedian by the name of Yacov Noy who neither of us had ever heard of so we will just have to wait and see if we decided to go to the show which the times are back to 8 and 10.

Tomorrow is our last day and we are at Half Moon Cay with the Noordam. We are waitlisted for a Clam Shell but know we will not get one so we will see how crowded it is as to how long we will stay there or just return to the ship. I do want to get off to take pictures of those two beautiful HAL ships together.

I am so very thrilled that we decided to add on this 2nd week on the Eurodam and it has worked out so perfectly. This Christmas week was so very memorable. The ship and her crew have go so far out their way to make every passengers feel the Christmas Spirit.

Wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Eurodam.

Lisa, thanks so much for your posts. You have a way of writing that gives all of us stuck on land a glimpse of the sea. Thanks to for the expense you go to to have daily reports.

Glad the Eurodam is working for you, and that Rev's step appears to be fixed.

I hope that we can meet up on a cruise again soon. Werin misses her adopted cruise critic godmother! (couldn't resist as it was such a surprise to see you on the "O" a year and a half ago with one of James Deering's last sailings with HAL) -- hope you don't mind, but your appearance with Tom really started our cruise off right.

Merry Christmas and all we wish you all kinds of blessings in the New Year!

Peter Thanks so much. That was such a memorable day for us as well and I was so thrilled to be able to surprise you especailly since we knew in advance we were going to be there on board for that Seattle Wave ;) It is also memorable because it is the last time we atually were with James. We have spoke on the phone since several times but I miss seeing him. I know he too is reading this so ...Merry Christmas James :)

Lisa, Merry Christmas to you and Tom!

Marlene, Merry Christmas to you as well and thanks so very much for posting "Where's the Fleet" in my absence :)

Lisa and Tom, me and the gang send you Christmas wishes from down-under as we prepare to eat our Christmas dinner :) Enjoy

Love us lot left behind

xox

Val, HUGS to you and Merry Christmas to you and Bernie. It will not be long till you see me back on FB.

Merry Christmas Lisa & Tom - and all the other CCer's on the board.

Glad you are having a wonderful time and enjoy the Eurodam. I've really enjoyed your posts. I now feel more confident that we would enjoy the Eurodam, as I've been wanting to book a cruise on her.

I was reading a thread today from someone who sailed with you last week and they had some excellent photos - you & Tom were in some as well. The ship looks beautiful and even more special when decorated for Christmas. I have to find a way to do a Holiday cruise.

Anyway, best wishes and may God bless in the upcoming year.

Deb, you and Steve are going to love the Eurodam she has that good feeling like the Oosterdam but a bit magnified with some extras :D

To everyone else thanks so very much for following along and the Merry Christmas wishes.

Merry Christmas Lisa and Tom!:D So wonderful to hear that your Christmas has been so lovely! We too enjoyed our Christmas aboard the Volendam, they do make it a very special affair.:D :D

Enjoy the warmth while you two still have it, we are freezing here!!! :eek:

Dearest Lisa

Thanks for your Christmas card, it just popped into my inbox. We are so looking forward to you back on FB. and thanks for making me feel SPECIAL :)

The boy in DC keeps ringing home, me thinks he's homesick a little :-( Just heard the rubbish men, guess Christmas is over down-under :mad: We are off to friends for lunch, so not quite over for us yet.

I just loved your last report, being at sea on Christmas Day is a memory i still hold dear even if it was way back in 1963:eek:

Talk to you soon

(hugs) from me and the gang :)

Oh Lisa -- I just can't believe the difference in our Mariner's Lunch as compared to yours. It most have something to do with the HM.

Both weeks we had the cocktail party in the Queen's Lounge like you did -- saw the movie and had the awards presentation.

Then we went to the dining room. On all of the invitations for the medal holders we were assigned tables. As we entered the dining room one of the area captains asked our names and if we didn't know what table we had been assigned to, he would inform one of the waiters who escorted you to that table. All medal holders were in the raised section. The first week we were at Shane Michaels' table and the second week we were with HM Stan Kuppens.

By the sounds of what you wrote -- they should go back to the way we had it -- so much better.

Archived