LIVE From The Eurodam 2WK Holiday Cruise ...Brought To You By LAFFNVEGAS

LAFFNVEGAS

Hey Lisa, how have those infamous Cabanas on one side of the Lido Pool looked on this cruise? Are they being used on this Caribbean intinerary? Unless I'm mistaken (which happens all the time), you have only seen one production show. Are they still doing "Nightlife", "Dream Park", and "In Concert"?

How quickly things change.

We got our tiles in our cabin right after breakfast on the morning of the Mariner's Lunch.

Mariner's Lunch - I did mention in my brief report that all medallion holders met at 11:30 in the Queen's Lounge for the presentation of medals for new people -- over 900 Mariner's on the first cruise and over 1000 Mariner's on the second cruise. Pictures were taken of the new medal holders as well as those with more than 300 days.

I did mention that we were assigned tables. When we got to the dining room an area captain asked our names -- checked his list -- and we were excorted to our assigned tables in the raised center section of the dining room. The first week we were at a table of 8 with the Shane Michaels. The second week we were at a table for 11 with HM Stan Kuppens.

There were no other officers or ship staff at either luncheon.

Lisa,

Maybe, perchance, when you are landside again, might you be able

to download, upload, cross-load, or whatever that HAL Chime ringtone

so the rest of us can get a fix, stay addicted, or whatever our current

state of ebriety might be?

Happy HAL-idays to You! :)

:D

The HAL ring-tone is this: HAL Announcer/Ringtone

Lisa...

I am enjoying your live reports from the Eurodam!

Glad to hear you and Tom are having a great time!

Hope you are feeling better!

I would love to see pics of you dancing on the tables! :D

Looking forward to hearing your reports of being onboard during Christmas week!

I am feeling a little jealous while stuck here in the Chicago Blizzard!!!! Make sure you have a mojito for me!!!

th_AnimSmileyInBlizzard.gif

Lisa: John and I got off the Noordam yest. after a 10 day cruise. We did have a bumpy ride only one night (gale force winds). It is still a beautiful ship. The only damage I saw was on lounge chairs on the top deck and I found out they moved all night with the gale forced winds. I did encounter some hard to cut Grouper at lunch in the dining room. The ship was beautifully decorated for Xmas by Dianthus from Amsterdam which also did all the floral arrangements. Captain Scott was a joy to sail with. We were docked next to the Eurodam on Dec.10th, then the Maasdam in Dominica, Zuidy in Curacao and Westerdam in Half Moon Cay and Ft. Laud. It was a great HAL 10 days!! Carol.

Please don't mention snow...I have been following this thread since it began..I am supposed to be on the Eurodam Saturday with my 17 and 12 yo daughters...I'm scheduled to fly to FLL tomorrow on JetBlue..but with the impending snow storm in the NY metro area I don't know if I'm going to make it now...they're already missing 2 days of school and I would love to go out tonight instead but they need to be in school tomorrow (if there is school) - I am dreading the possiblilty of missing the cruise - not to mention the money lost...

Pray for RAIN!

I'm not one to encourage kids to miss school, but I think you need to head to the airport NOW and avoid that storm!

Thursday Night December 18, 2008

The Baked Alaska Parade is ALIVE and Once Again has returned to the Eurodam. Now I am not sure if it returned a couple of weeks ago or that this was the first week it returned but they have brought back the Baked Alaska Parade minus the Sparklers instead they are all carrying green glow sticks. What is funny is that the Chefs that come out all have the green glow sticks attached to the inside of the Chef’s Hat. Per our Dining Room server he said that there were numerous complaints about not having the Baked Alaska Parade (like the couple of weeks the did not serve the lobster tail) that they have brought it back. I asked my server if they enjoyed doing it and missed it and he said yes that it is a lot of fun. I have to admit that in mid October when we were on the Oosterdam it just felt like something was missing that last Formal Night. Despite No Sparklers it was still fun, this way they do not turn down the lights.

I have to say that over all dinner was great tonight, it was the first time in a couple of years that they served the Lobster Tails plain and brought out the butter if you wanted it rather than that thick sauce they were pouring on them in the last several years. Also the steak was very tasty and tender. Tonight felt like Traditional HAL Formal night and it felt good so good I even teared up just a bit during the Baked Alaska Parade. Normally I would tear up because we are so close to going home and leaving the ship but maybe it is just knowing that I have had such a good time this past week and am so very thankful that we are here.

Today turned into a cool extremely windy cloudy day not at all good to do any walking outside. It almost appeared we were sailing into a storm. If these winds keep up I am willing to place bets that we may not make it to Half Moon Cay tomorrow. I guess they were not able to go there last week either. The ship has had extreme movement and shaking all evening and making it difficult to walk a straight line and No I have not had too much to drink. Although Tom and I did finish off a bottle of champagne at dinner then after the show had drinks in the Ocean Bar where we ran into yet another Bar person we knew this time he was on the Amsterdam with us this past June. It is starting to worry me this pattern of knowing all the Bar Staff. LOL

Speaking of the show tonight it was a combination of two of this weeks performers who we had not gone to see previously. First up was a Comedian by the name of Jim Labriola who was pretty funny, then was guitarist Justin Miller who was very talented. I have to admit I really love this Show Room and the new seating, it is extremely comfortable and John I took your advise on which seats to grab. We sat in the row that is the first one that steps up, which is great for us shorties.

Tonight when we came back to the cabin we had tiles on the bed and Tom was thinking we do not have these but I am thinking we have one from when we exchanged tiles earlier in the year with another CC member. It is the one that says Holland Amerika Lijn and New York in the bottom right corner.

We gain an hour of sleep tonight which is always good but I think I will sign off and do some more reading.

Signing off from windy rough seas of the Caribbean on the Beautiful MS Eurodam.

Hey Lisa, how have those infamous Cabanas on one side of the Lido Pool looked on this cruise? Are they being used on this Caribbean intinerary? Unless I'm mistaken (which happens all the time), you have only seen one production show. Are they still doing "Nightlife", "Dream Park", and "In Concert"?

John "In Concert" was the first Formal night Sunday, Wednesday was "Nightlife" and tomorrow night will be "Dream Park"

As for the Lido Pool Cabanas would you believe I honestly have no idea. Other than the very first day I have not gone any where near the Lido Pool. We spend a lot of time in our cabin :o There just has not been enough time I will say that I am sure no one has used the other Cabanas in the retreat area with this weather and high winds. I know that when we had our CC Meet an Greet in the Silk Den on Sunday they were attempting to repair them from what the winds were doing to them. By now they could be ripped apart :eek:

Lisa..........

I know your e-mail is on automatic reply but I sent you one.

We may be in FLL overnight as there is snow predicted for Boston.

We may not be flying out on Saturday if flights are cancelled.

You have my cell and I have yours...... we'll speak!

I probably will not be able to come back to this thread as when I leave the ship will not have internet. I didn't bring my laptop.

.............Tonight when we came back to the cabin we had tiles on the bed and Tom was thinking we do not have these but I am thinking we have one from when we exchanged tiles earlier in the year with another CC member. It is the one that says Holland Amerika Lijn and New York in the bottom right corner.

Must be this one

NewYork.jpg

Enjoy HMC tomorrow! - Hope you can get in!:)

On previous Holland America cruises I have bought a package of three diff't Lancaster suntan lotions. they are in a tangerine colored orangish box. Can you tell me if they still sell it? It should be about $19. All three pieces retail in Europe Duty free for about $75. Can you please let me know if they still sell it. This way, I can buy it on board, instead of packing it. Thanks!!! Great lotion.

Surf and Turf was served in the dining room on both weeks -- we got friendly with the couples across from us -- neither couple liked their lobster tails -- 2 bites and tough.

The Baked Alaska was on both of our cruises -- they had the green glow sticks then as well.

Notice that you didn't mention anything about a Farewell Cocktail for the suite passengers in the Neptune Lounge. We had one each week -- the last formal night -- Thursday night.

Surf and Turf was served in the dining room on both weeks -- we got friendly with the couples across from us -- neither couple liked their lobster tails -- 2 bites and tough.

The Baked Alaska was on both of our cruises -- they had the green glow sticks then as well.

Notice that you didn't mention anything about a Farewell Cocktail for the suite passengers in the Neptune Lounge. We had one each week -- the last formal night -- Thursday night.

I have difficulty believing this "2 bites" bit.

2 bites is a prawn... unless you're huge... I'm 6 ft and not tiny by any stretch of the imagination and my lobster was a good size, and the fact I had a steak also on my plate surf and turf night with the courses before and dessert to come it was FINE...

Did I have a dinner plate in the dining room overflowing with a single lobster tail? NO. Was it bigger than a prawn? DEFINITELY.

(PS - They let you ask for more if you want it too, so is it really that big of a deal?)

I have difficulty believing this "2 bites" bit.

2 bites is a prawn... unless you're huge...

The lobster is very tiny on HAL. KK is right...usually about 2 bites. I wonder why you feel the need to be so defensive to people in most of your posts:confused:.

The lobster is very tiny on HAL. KK is right...usually about 2 bites. I wonder why you feel the need to be so defensive to people in most of your posts:confused:.

I never said it was huge...

But the fact you can ask for more... you can literally walk in and say "I like lobster, gimme twenty of them" AND they cut the meat off the shell for you so it's not even like it gives you more work...

What's the big deal? :confused:

And another reason we won't order lobster in the dining room any more -- it is overcooked. It is plated -- covered with the dome -- brought out to the serving area -- may sit there anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes before it is actually brought to you -- thus it is still cooking -- thus overcooked and rubbery.

Thankfully we live in an area where we get huge lobsters (had a great lobster dinner last Saturday night) -- and once they are cooked they are brought directly to your table -- no sitting around.

And another reason we won't order lobster in the dining room any more -- it is overcooked. It is plated -- covered with the dome -- brought out to the serving area -- may sit there anywhere from 5 - 10 minutes before it is actually brought to you -- thus it is still cooking -- thus overcooked and rubbery.

Thankfully we live in an area where we get huge lobsters (had a great lobster dinner last Saturday night) -- and once they are cooked they are brought directly to your table -- no sitting around.

I know you're on the ships all the time KK...

Have you ever asked that they do that? If so, what was the results?

I know you know as well as I do that the staff will bend over backwards to accommodate any realistic request of them and that seems like one that's easily doable :)

Archived