LIVE From The Eurodam 2WK Holiday Cruise ...Brought To You By LAFFNVEGAS

LAFFNVEGAS

Hey Lisa! I've been feeding Rudi! Love your posts - PLEASE keep them coming!!! Hope you got a chance to meet Becky (PurpleNorway) and her Mom & Dad - didn't see whether you did or not yet - but Becky & her folks are super fun and great fellow cruisers!

FB if you have a chance!

Enjoy!

Laura

Hey Val, is this the same girl who worked the Silk Den Bar during the first Inaugural cruise back in July?

Happy Holidays to you in Haka land!:)

Thanks for the Christmas wishes. Lovely warm weather down here right now, but no visitors from the US, which has made me terrible sad.

Yes that is out Angie, its hard to believe that its only two years since she was here in our home. We shouted her a call home to the Phillipines :)

Happy holidays to you guys up in the Obama land :D

Loving the report Lisa. You're hitting on the important things for me as we seem to look for the same things in a ship. Steve was happy to hear that Tom could get a regular steak in Tamarind since I've been bugging that I want to try the Eurodam, and he knows I would have to go to that specialty restaurant.

Are you finding that the ship seems crowded in any way? We don't go to the Lido much so that's not really an issue for us. We're more going to a show after dinner or sitting in a lounge listening to music.

Glad you're having a great time and looking forward to this whole 2 weeks!

Lisa:

If you get the chance, stop by the Barranchina bar in Old San Juan and have their Pina Colada. It is one of two bars that lay claim to being the place where they were "invented".

Hopefully Jorge will be bartending there and will tell you the story, but he makes the BEST pina colada we have ever tasted. You might want to even have him make you their modification of that drink that I believe Jorge called Fire and Ice. It was fantastic!!!

Jorge was great...you will like him and the bar itself is fabulous.

... For those that have continued to follow this report I commend you because I warned you we are a bit boring. But this is the how we cruise...

LOL, Lisa - you are FAR from boring! I've found your reports fascinating, and am constantly watching for updates. One of these days, we're going to have to try the Eurodam - you make it sound ever so inviting. Thanks again for sharing your time and internet minutes with us!

Lisa,

Here's a question for you. Does the Pinnacle Bar still have those horribly uncomfortable, straight back, "erector-set" style chairs that I photographed back on the Inaugural cruise? KK mentioned that they were going to be replaced ... have they been?

What do you think of the lounge? It's not the most warm-and-fuzzy place, is it? :D ;)

Tuesday December 16th, 2008

I am writing this as the sun is setting here in San Juan and there is a slight pink hue to the sky. Tom and I had not really planned much as for doing things and partially because we often do not do much the ship is the destination but also I am trying to keep costs down due to economic reasons. Although a girl does have her priorities I do have a spa appointment tomorrow when we are in St Thomas.

Anyway Tom and I got up fairly early for us so that we could watch our arrival into San Juan, it ended up that we arrived a bit later than planned due to the high winds all night long. Original arrival was to be 8:30 it was more like 9:30 and we were docked a little after 10. We also lost an hour of sleep last night. We decided the best viewing aria was up in the Crow’s Nest so we headed up there early and grabbed a reclining chair seat. With Hot Chai Tea latte in one hand and a cinnamon roll in the other we were ready. Our plan for the day was to walk and window shop Old Town and that we did. We took off about 10:50 heading West from where the Eurodam docked. Even though this is U.S. it is not unlike any Caribbean port where you are solicited to take tours and even followed not want to take NO for an answer. After walked for about 45 minutes we decided lunch would be good and let’s be typical tourist and try the Barrachina Restaurant that is listed on our “In Port” pamphlet. It was actually very pretty kind and relaxing. We enjoyed a nice lunch there, the Margarita was mucho bien we also splurged and had dessert. I had a pistachio cheesecake that was very good. After our very relaxing and enjoyable lunch we decided to head back the other way taking a detour up a block to see what looked like a town square area that had all kinds of Christmas decoration. There were lots of teenagers that must just have gotten out of school that were in school uniforms. Then there were pigeons, swarms of pigeons. I even had a little “Good Luck” dropped on my head. On our window shopping venture we continued heading back toward the ship, as we neared the port area we saw that another ship had arrived it was the Celebrity Solstice. WOW is that one big ship, she really made the Eurodam look small. But I have mentioned in the past I actually like the look of that ship. I have never been impressed with other Celebrity ships as far as how they looked from the outside but the pictures I had seen of the Solstice I liked and she was just as impressive in person. I would love to know someone on board and to have been able to just walk on board to take a peek.

We returned to the ship at about 2:30 having walked quite a bit for the day I decided that an afternoon nap sounded very good because we have Pinnacle reservations at 7:30, then CC member purple Norway aka Becky and her parents Cindy and Jim that are in the PH just down the hall from us are hosting a Sail Away Party tonight at 10:30 as we leave San Juan.

Guess I better get ready for the evening…..

Signing off from the MS Eurodam docked in San Juan Bay.

On our window shopping venture we continued heading back toward the ship, as we neared the port area we saw that another ship had arrived it was the Celebrity Solstice. WOW is that one big ship, she really made the Eurodam look small. But I have mentioned in the past I actually like the look of that ship. I have never been impressed with other Celebrity ships as far as how they looked from the outside but the pictures I had seen of the Solstice I liked and she was just as impressive in person.

I'm loving your daily posts from the lovely Eurodam! I was on her last month and am reliving that wonderful cruise through you. Solstice was in Ft. Lauderdale when I embarked the E-dam on 11/1 and I agree, she is a beauty.

Diane

Tuesday Evening December 16th, 2008

We are still in San Juan PR, I can heard Caribbean music playing which I am guessing is coming from the mid-ship pool area just above us. It is a beautiful night here in San Juan not sure of the temp but it is comfortable and not windy. Definitely different than home in Las Vegas where our son said we had 2 inches of snow and the opposite end of town at 4 inches. He said it was extremely cold. I guess this is a good time to be away on a Caribbean cruise.

OK I will admit I am not feeling 100% my body keeps wanting to come down with a Head Cold and I am having terrible sinus pressure which is not fun. Maybe I am allergic to the East Coast LOL:o

Well we did go to the Pinnacle this evening and not sure if it is the Head cold that is attempting to attack me or the Pinnacle itself but I was not impressed with the offering I tasted on the new menu. I had the Lobster Bisque which I thought could have been more creamy with not as much cognac, then I had the Steak Diane that I ordered Med Rare but was blood rare the first go round and had to send it back. I have had Steak Diane on numerous occasions but I was not impressed with this sauce, way too much peppercorn. Now I am not sure if it was just me with this head cold that is trying to attack me or it was the sauce but I did not care for it. One item I had not realized was taken away was my favorite salad which was with pears, walnuts and blue cheese. It is no longer on the menu instead they offer a Caesars Salad with anchovies. We always enjoyed the pear salad it was light and refreshing before the steak. Over all it was not the best of Pinnacle experiences but not the worst but I must chalk up part of the problem to my sinus feeling like it will explode.

Sadly I have left a message for Becky and Cindy and Jim that we cannot make it tonight for their Sail Away Party.

One thing that was different tonight for the Pinnacle is it was packed!!!! I do not think I have ever seen them almost fill up the Pinnacle, almost every table even out in the atrium area had people at them. We do have reservations for next Tuesday night as well since that is the night of the week that neither Tom and I can find anything we want to eat in the main dining room.

Hey Lisa! I've been feeding Rudi! Love your posts - PLEASE keep them coming!!! Hope you got a chance to meet Becky (PurpleNorway) and her Mom & Dad - didn't see whether you did or not yet - but Becky & her folks are super fun and great fellow cruisers!

FB if you have a chance!

Enjoy!

Laura

Laura, Yes we have actually been with Becky and her parents Cindy and Jim several times We really like them and wish that I was feeling better tonight to go to their Sail Away Party in the PH

Lisa,

Here's a question for you. Does the Pinnacle Bar still have those horribly uncomfortable, straight back, "erector-set" style chairs that I photographed back on the Inaugural cruise? KK mentioned that they were going to be replaced ... have they been?

What do you think of the lounge? It's not the most warm-and-fuzzy place, is it

Greg, those darn erector-set chairs are still there and no it is not the least bit inviting and you seldom see anyone setting in there. They really should change this to be more like the Noordam.

Deb, you asked if it feels crowded, actually not at all. Of course during peak times in the Lido but then it was like that on the Amsterdam this past summer for Alaska. If anything I am finding it less crowded then the Oosterdam especially for going to dinner possibly because there are more venue choices. Also there is not the big crowd waiting to get into fixed dining. It has been very nice. Over all we have found walking around the ship to find hardly anyone. I would never guess there was more people on here compared to the Oosterdam but then it could feel different next week for the Christmas Cruise but they are packed this week as well. Even this morning for sailing into San Juan, I would have thought that it would be full of people in the Crow’s Nest but not at all.

OK I know I mentioned this before but the announcement chimes are bugging the crap out of me. It is not the same sound as ALL the other HAL ship, it is not as loud and sometimes they only ring one chime. I cannot believe that no one has ever mentioned this before lol. Oh and also another tradition not to be found is the Yum Yum Man cart. The Yum Yum Man is in his uniform and ringing the chimes before dinner but then during he is like an assistant busser bringing out trays of food. For two nights there was no cart with mints and ginger to be found.

Val and Laura, thanks so much for taking care of y virtual pets on Facebook ;) I soke with son this evening and Joey the real cat is very ticked wwe are gone he just does not realize for how long :eek:

Tomorrow is St. Thomas and unless you love to snorkel or are in the need to buy jewelry and see the same jewelry store repeat itself 4 or 5 times then staying on the ship sounds rather good idea. Now granted many love St Thomas and we have been here once before but we think we will just enjoy a day on board ship with no one fighting me for a heated lounger in the Thermal Suite.:D I am getting a massage and facial and then spending the rest of the time in the Thermal Suite. Tom will just relax on the verandah and read.

Signing off once again from the MS Eurodam in San Juan Bay.

Here in MN we have severe windchills and snow...oh, how I wish I was in the Caribbean - even an inside would do.

Glad you're having a great time. I wonder if we'll hear more comments like your on the Pinnacle with the new menu. I don't like pepper being used to enhance the flavor of everything...and then more makes it better. Never use pepper at home so when there's a lot of it in the food I tend not to like it.

The vandalism occurred on the Nov 4, Transatlantic on the Rotterdam -- EVERY brass plate on every elevator was marked with a "Z" or "X" or just lots of line scratches or a combination of these marks- 2 plates in each elevator....There weren't too many youngsters on our sailing, since it was a 15 day cruise - and too early for children to have time off for thanksgiving - but I just can't see some adult doing this!!

Waiting for the next installment so I can close my eyes and "pretend" I am on the Eurodam!

Kia Ora my matey, I am so sorry to hear you are not the brightest. Its so horrible when the sinues play up when you are on a cruise. Happened to me once and it rather spoilt my play time. Wonder if you should pay a visit to the Doctor, who know he might be a real dishie hulk, or a lady one :)

Have you had a chance to speak with Angie, I keep wondering why she never answered our emails, or even if she got them. If you have the time can you find out for me please.

Love from Val, Emerald, Chloe, Ruffles and Joey

:D

Hi Lisa, I was also annoyed by the different annoucement chimes and the absence of the Yum-Yum cart (after we talked it up to our tablemates :o). Another thing I hadn't known about was the new voice in the elevator - especially her square dance pronunciation of "Promen-aid". Am I petty or what? Glad that you are enjoying your time on the Eurodam. We did as well!

Marie

Hi Lisa, I'm really enjoying your review, thanks a lot!! :D I'm sailing on the Eurodam for New Years (we board December 27th) and I'm so excited (it'll be my 1st HAL cruise)!! :D :D It's awesome to read about the ship like this, I kinda feel like I'm onboard with you!! :D We're going to the Pinnacle one night as well. Do they have Surf and Turf (Lobster and Steak) on the menu? Have there been any parties such as a Deck Party (or is there going to be)? Would it be possible for you to post some of your pics so I can see what the ship looks like (the different public rooms, exterior decks, etc)? I hope you and Tom have a fabulas (sp) time for the rest of this week and next week as well!! :D I'll be thinking of you both. I hope you feel a lot better soon!! :D

Lisa,

Get to shore and get some Zycam nasal swabs. They are a real Godsend. THEY WILL KNOCK OUT A COLD IN RECORD TIME. I use them whenever I feel a cold coming on. They are an over the counter fix.

I am loving your trip. I can tell you are too. Bon chance mon ami. St. Johns is a favorite of mine. I love the color of the sea too. It changes from Sapphire blue to a lucious Turquoise. God has a phenominal paint brush, doesn't He.

It's very interesting to read that so many of the things disliked from the time the ship left Venice are still there. So many things have been said HAl was going to change (Rev/Ruth step, stools in bar, drink holders in showroom, etc...) yet none have been. Although it's good they did add the hand rails in the showoom.

You are all correct about those blinking stair lights in the showroom. The problem was pointed out in the shipyard in Venice and was NEVER fixed before the hand-over. Once HAL had the ship the engineers could only find 5 of the 6 control boxes so it was impossible to fix them. Lisa, are they actually ON or did they just leave them off? Curious to know.

I'm glad you are enjoying Eurodam. My problems were never with the ship herself (much:rolleyes:) as opposed to other work related issues. When you disembark next time, look for the most forward starboard porthole on A Deck...that was my cabin!:)

Tell Ronald I said hello, also see if there is a wonderful waiter named LoveJoy still there. Most of my cast and all of my HalCats are gone. I also know alot of the crew I sailed with are gone too.

Sorry you have Shane but I'm sure you will have a great time. DJ Jazzy is FABULOUS!

I look forward to the rest of your reviews and hearing about your discoveries on Eurodam. Did you find the deck forward 5 yet???

Hi Lisa, I'm really enjoying your review, thanks a lot!! :D I'm sailing on the Eurodam for New Years (we board December 27th) and I'm so excited (it'll be my 1st HAL cruise)!! :D :D It's awesome to read about the ship like this, I kinda feel like I'm onboard with you!! :D We're going to the Pinnacle one night as well. Do they have Surf and Turf (Lobster and Steak) on the menu? Have there been any parties such as a Deck Party (or is there going to be)? Would it be possible for you to post some of your pics so I can see what the ship looks like (the different public rooms, exterior decks, etc)? I hope you and Tom have a fabulas (sp) time for the rest of this week and next week as well!! :D I'll be thinking of you both. I hope you feel a lot better soon!! :D

These threads should answer some of your questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=887349&highlight=eurodam+daily+program

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=887248&highlight=eurodam+daily+program

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=888118&highlight=pinnacle+menu

I wasn't all that impressed with him either, Nathan.

Lisa, I'll second the Zicam recommendation for your head cold. It's great stuff. Don't know if you'll find any down in the Caribbean, but it's worth a look.

There are some known side effects and dangers to taking Zicam. Weren't sure if you were aware.

Zicam Cold Remedy -Defective Drug Information

Wednesday December 17th, 2008

Greetings from the Island of 101 Diamonds Internationals and another 1001 Emeralds Internationals, Tanzanite Internationals and all the other Jewelry stores. We arrived this morning to St Thomas after they had a light rain shower, the streets were still wet but the sky was clearing. Like I had mentioned yesterday we had no plans for St Thomas but I did have a Massage and Facial appointment along with planning to spend a few hours in the Thermal Suite. We decided to grab a quick breakfast in the Lido at about 9 then headed on shore to just walk around the shops here at Crown Bay. Tom and I walked around finding prices to be extremely expensive, in one perfume store that was supposed to be discounted I found the Givenchy perfume I normally purchase at Macys to be $5.00 more and some cosmetics to be equally higher. They actually sell most of this stuff on the ship for much less.

I returned to the ship at about 10:45 and Tom decided to continue walking around. This port day was definitely a great day to spend in the Spa and Thermal Suite. I was definitely one of the few that spent the day there. The massage and facial were not the worst I ever had but definitely not the best. I had asked to have my shoulders worked on and she barely touched them, yet when I left she said when you come back next week we will work on your shoulders you seemed to have some stress there. I will say though that I have found when you let them know you cruise frequently and always go to the spa for treatments and use the Elemis products at home they really do not go into the sales pitch.

The Thermal Suite was great and the Steam Rooms/Saunas all were in good working order with aroma therapy in two of them. One thing different from all the other Green House Spas on HAL’s fleet was in the showers in the Thermal Suite there is a button in the showers that let’s out an aroma therapy mist. These showers do not have this at all. But I will say that often on the other ships they are not working or filled with the aroma scent so I guess it is one less thing they have to worry about. I spent at least 2 hours in there with not one other person coming in with the exception of a crewmember checking on the towels. Very peaceful and relaxing.

I will say that a day in the spa and doing some relaxing in the aroma steam rooms has made me feel almost brand new. I wish I could go back tomorrow but already tomorrow we have a Mariner Brunch, then Friday is Half Moon Cay. I have no idea where this week has gone but thankfully I have another week to enjoy it but if this week has gone by too fast the next week will go even faster. Next week on Friday when we return to HMC we are there with the Noordam and I am thinking that I may return that day to the Thermal Suite.

I have to say that we are enjoying every aspect of the Eurodam and I am so glad it is not yet ending. I have spoke to a lot of my fellow passengers many are fairly new to HAL and they are all impressed with the Eurodam.

Captain Mercer just came on the PS system to give us an update. We are actually leaving about 15 minutes early interesting note that he said that the last 3 days of the cruise the Eurodam has gone through the highest winds and the roughest seas that she has ever encountered since she was delivered to Holland America. I am feeling pretty good about that because I did not think it was that bad. I know I have spoke to many that said they had been sick.

I will add just a few things here, I too am a firm believer in ZiCam and always pack it with me so have been taking it and thankfully today feel better.

Greg, have not checked out the Northern Lights at night but may do so tonight.

Avril, our server in the Pinnacle discouraged us from ordering their lobster tail so I take it it iw best to wait till Thursday night.

I guess that is about all for right now…. I need to get showered and ready for dinner and then tonight is the VIP Party in the Crow’s Nest at 7:30

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Eurodam in Crown Bay St. Thomas USVI

Archived