LIVE From The Eurodam 2WK Holiday Cruise ...Brought To You By LAFFNVEGAS

LAFFNVEGAS

Rev step sounds better than Ruth step. Heck, 'dam step' sounds good also!

Indeed ... and, now that I think about it, "dam step" is what I said when I discovered it (well, sort of ... it SOUNDED like "dam step" ... the "n" is silent.) :D

Thank you so much for following up on the lighting on those stairs! It's good to know that they aren't disturbing passengers anymore.

Have a great time in Grand Turk. If you get away from the pier area it will be different than any port you've ever been to, I'm sure.

Monday December 15th 2008 Grand Turk

The song wasting away in Margaritaville comes to mind….Oh wait that is where we were…..:D

We are just ending our early departure day in Grand Turk. Now those that have cruised with us know we really are not early risers only if they are forcing us to get off the ship on debarkation day. But since this was our first time to Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos I wanted to be up early to see us come into port as well as there have been some sailings in the past that they could not dock here due to the high winds. I set our wake up call for 6:40 and like I reported we have had some high winds, we did this morning as well. I believe the Captain had to make a couple of attempts. We turned full circle at least once then we sat out several hundred yards from the dock for probably about 20 minutes then he attempted it again and this time with success. (Captain Mercer just came on the PA for announcements about leaving and did announce that it took two attempts) While there were scattered clouds and several that produced just a couple of sprinkles of rain it was a beautiful day. We first enjoyed breakfast in the Pinnacle, we had not yet dined there and will Tuesday evening but this was our first chance to try breakfast there as a suite passengers. We are seated by yet another crew member we knew that remember us by name as well as knowing he sailed with us on the Noordam last summer. We are beginning to wonder if we are not on the Noordam.

After breakfast we put on my swim suit, stepped into my flip flops and packed up my large beach bag with spray sun block, books and camera and headed to the gangway on A Deck. We walked around the shops for a while and of course ended up buying some T-shirts then went and found ourselves some loungers in the shade on the beach. What a relaxing day, got some reading in as well as managed to get our feet a little wet in the ocean. After several hours of total relaxation on this beautiful island we decided that we must go to Margaritaville and have lunch at least this week and a margarita. We returned back to the ship at about 1:15, all aboard is 2:30 with 3 PM Sail Away.

The water and beach is so beautiful here at Grand Turk, it has been so very long since we have been to the Caribbean in Spring 2005 and having strictly done Alaska and Mexican Riviera you forget how turquoise blue the water is here and how fine the powder sand is. Since we do not frequent the Caribbean I am so glad we are taking this opportunity to do 2 weeks here.

Interesting note in the announcement that Captain Mercer just did he said that one or youths were vandalizing signs here on the Eurodam and that he wanted it to stop immediately and that security would be on the look out and if caught they will be charged for the damage and possibly kicked off at the next port of call.

Today they had a BBQ at the Aft pool that was being held until 2:30 so before it ended Tom went up and grab himself a steak and a few other items even though he had a Cheeseburger in Paradise but Tom is not one to turn down a the chance to eat. I myself settled for some ice tea with a splash of cranberry juice from the Neptune. I did not even grab a cookie, I am still full from Nachos and Margaritas in Grand Turk.

As I am finishing this we are now pulling away and backing out on our way to San Juan PR another port of call Tom and I have never been to.

Signing off from Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos on the Beautiful MS Eurodam.

Lisa, I'm so enjoying your posts as you give a preview of our April cruise. We met when you came aboard the Oosterdam when we did the one and only canine in attendence wave. Thanks so much for sharing your cruise by posting and happy holidays!

................Interesting note in the announcement that Captain Mercer just did he said that one or youths were vandalizing signs here on the Eurodam and that he wanted it to stop immediately and that security would be on the look out and if caught they will be charged for the damage and possibly kicked off at the next port of call.

Someone else mentioned that happening on another dam ship (someone carving crap into the signs inside the elevators a la those graffiti 'artists' on shore) Would love to catch those idiots in the act of doing that

Lisa,

I don't know your plans for San Juan, but there are a couple of things I can suggest. First, try to go to the Butterfly People in Old San Juan. They make beautiful art out of butterflies (that died of natural causes). I have several pieces from there and they make excellent gifts. There is also a fabulous rain forest tour that is magnificent. Have fun.

That's horrible about the signs being vandalized - I can't even imagine being on board such a lovely ship, most likely at someone else's expense, and finding nothing better to do with my time than being a hoodlum!

Lisa, Grand Turk sounds heavenly...you are reminding me how much I'm looking forward to sailing the Caribbean again. Sounds like your hubby is enjoying the food portion of the trip, too - I'm sure my hubby would be right there in the BBQ line behind him!

Interesting note in the announcement that Captain Mercer just did he said that one or youths were vandalizing signs here on the Eurodam and that he wanted it to stop immediately and that security would be on the look out and if caught they will be charged for the damage and possibly kicked off at the next port of call.

Thanks for the report, Lisa!

It is so sad to read that such an announcement had to be made, but I'm VERY glad that the captain made it. Hooliganism like you describe -- vandalism to ship's signage, etc. -- cannot be tolerated and, if they catch whoever is doing it, they and their parents should be charged for the damage AND put off the ship. Sadly, there will be some here who will not believe that such happens. I remember when our reports from the Eurodam Inaugural regarding kids having elevators races were not believed. Hopefully, that won't surface here.

Someone else mentioned that happening on another dam ship (someone carving crap into the signs inside the elevators a la those graffiti 'artists' on shore) Would love to catch those idiots in the act of doing that

That “someone else” was ME!;)

That was on the Rotterdam transatlantic, with very few kids, but I did see 2 youngsters that were “guilty by age association”.

Those crazy kids, next they’ll be smoking pot in Amsterdam……….er, no, wait, that was……..:eek:;):D

Thanks for the reports Lisa! Have a great time…:cool:

Mark…..

I would pay to watch you catch them! :D

Sounds like the beginnings of a great HAL money maker here. We pay HAL to watch while various security catches people vandalizing.

Needs a little work, but I think you're on to something.

That “someone else” was ME!;)

That was on the Rotterdam transatlantic, with very few kids, but I did see 2 youngsters that were “guilty by age association”.

Those crazy kids, next they’ll be smoking pot in Amsterdam……….er, no, wait, that was……..:eek:;):D

Thanks for the reports Lisa! Have a great time…

Mark…..

You funny, funny man!;)

Thanks for the report, Lisa!

It is so sad to read that such an announcement had to be made, but I'm VERY glad that the captain made it. Hooliganism like you describe -- vandalism to ship's signage, etc. -- cannot be tolerated and, if they catch whoever is doing it, they and their parents should be charged for the damage AND put off the ship. Sadly, there will be some here who will not believe that such happens. I remember when our reports from the Eurodam Inaugural regarding kids having elevators races were not believed. Hopefully, that won't surface here.

It is sad that vandalism occurs on a cruise......but it is also possible that the hooligans were not under the age of 21. Hopefully they will be dealt with in the same manner a family with young adults would be. And.....I call my kids and their friends hooligans all the time. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior from any age. Cherie

Wow!! I can't believe that anyone would deface anything on a cruise ship!? My mom would have hung me by my toes and I wouldn't have been allowed to roam the ship alone, that's for sure!!

Lisa--sounds like you are having an awesome time!! So exciting!! I can't wait until Saturday!!

~Rose

Hooliganism like you describe -- vandalism to ship's signage, etc. -- cannot be tolerated and, if they catch whoever is doing it, they and their parents should be charged for the damage AND put off the ship. Sadly, there will be some here who will not believe that such happens. I remember when our reports from the Eurodam Inaugural regarding kids having elevators races were not believed. Hopefully, that won't surface here.

Couldn't have said it better Greg! This is one of my pet peeves, it is stupid and uncalled for! :mad:

It is sad that vandalism occurs on a cruise......but it is also possible that the hooligans were not under the age of 21. Hopefully they will be dealt with in the same manner a family with young adults would be. And.....I call my kids and their friends hooligans all the time. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior from any age. Cherie

Agreed ... it IS possible that the hooligans doing the vandalism are 21+. I was posting from past experience when it's been pre-21 brats running wild and damaging the ship, but you're correct ... it could have been someone older.

Agreed ... it IS possible that the hooligans doing the vandalism are 21+. I was posting from past experience when it's been pre-21 brats running wild and damaging the ship, but you're correct ... it could have been someone older.

I understand where you were coming from....it's just that some of us who travel with young adults are fairly sensitive to some of the generalities made regarding cruisers under 21. I am sometimes amazed at the juvenile behavior of adults on vacation. Hope your holidays are great.... Cherie

Monday Evening December 15th, 2008

Good Evening from the Caribbean waters heading toward San Juan PR

It was another great day on the Eurodam. In many ways I feel like this is almost a report of one of our Alaska Noordam cruises from 2007 not only are many of our favorite crew from that ship on board but CD Shame was also our CD. Now are you ready for this other déjà vu Rudy who is our Wine Steward was suppose to be going to the Oosterdam a few weeks ago but instead they sent him to the Eurodam. Rudy was one of the Wine stewards during the Feb Yum Yum Man cruise but he also was our Wine Steward for our December Oosterdam cruise last year that was this same exact week before Christmas. Tonight he even remember exactly where we sat on the Oosterdam a year ago this week. Now what are the odds of getting the same Wine Steward exactly one year later.

Between all the Ships, Wine Stewards and chance that he would be assigned to our table.

OK you might think this cruise report is going to the Dogs based on my movies selections but we are enjoying the new Screening Room.We have always found a seat and those chairs are so comfy. Tonight’s movie was Beverly Hills Chihuahua and we actually thought it was kind of funny and cute. Tom said he actually enjoyed this one more than Mama Mia, he was really just humoring me going to that. But I actually liked that movie as well but to be truthful I never get the chance to watch movies so seeing two within two days is very abnormal for me.

Oh before I forget, one thing I wanted to mention is that the show times either never changed or they went back to the way they use to be but the show times are 8 PM and 10 PM so each seating has a show after dinner.

Dinner tonight was good, I must say that the food on the Eurodam has been excellent. I enjoy fish dinners but often fish can be dryed out or not prepared the way I like it but tonight Orange Roughy was the best Fish entrée I think I have ever had in the Main Dining Room. Oh and the Key Lime Pie was pretty tasty as well. We went to the movie right after dinner then instead of going to the show we went up to the Explorations Café to one check in with the Internet Manager to make sure I would be signed up for being back to back for the Internet. Once I accomplished that which was quite easy we chatted with Romeo one of our favorite staff and of course Angie making up the coffees. We decided since we lose an hour of sleep tonight and I was to be up early to be able to go out to the Deck 5 Bow to watch us come into San Juan I grabbed a Hot Caramel Latte to go so I could write my final entry for the day and maybe do just a bit of reading.

Let me say that for at least the past 8 to 10 cruises we have had the smoothest seas with hardly any movement including 3 Alaska ones, well this cruise is making up for it. I do not remember the last cruise that we bounced around so much…. Oh wait I think it was the last time we did the Eastern Caribbean on the Zuiderdam. Actually Tom is loving it because he says he finally feels like he is on a ship. I am amazed I am not bothered by it but I have taken my Bonine that I had not taken much over the last several cruises. I had forgotten how much noise the ship makes when you have rough seas. It will make for good sleeping tonight.

For those that have continued to follow this report I commend you because I warned you we are a bit boring. But this is the how we cruise.

Next time I will report from San Juan PR.

Signing off from the Beautiful MS Eurodam.

Lisa, when I met Angie she was making coffee then :) Have you had a chance to chat with her and find out about emails etc.?

Have a lovely shore day tomorrow, no doubt you will be snoring under the blankets by now :)

We are all missing you. :D

Love val

Hey Val, is this the same girl who worked the Silk Den Bar during the first Inaugural cruise back in July?

Happy Holidays to you in Haka land!:)

Let me say that for at least the past 8 to 10 cruises we have had the smoothest seas with hardly any movement including 3 Alaska ones, well this cruise is making up for it. I do not remember the last cruise that we bounced around so much…. Oh wait I think it was the last time we did the Eastern Caribbean on the Zuiderdam. Actually Tom is loving it because he says he finally feels like he is on a ship. I am amazed I am not bothered by it but I have taken my Bonine that I had not taken much over the last several cruises. I had forgotten how much noise the ship makes when you have rough seas. It will make for good sleeping tonight.

<sigh> Ah, yes, there is something wonderful about that rocking motion that just puts one to sleep ... good, deep, calming, soothing sleep! Yes, indeed. I miss that motion, and I look forward to it again in just a month and a week.

I'm enjoying reading your report from the Eurodam, Lisa! Keep it up, and enjoy the ship! :D

Archived