Cancellations must be running rampid

bajathree

I just got a confirmation e-mail late last night at 9PM showing #79 on the waiting list for main dining. This AM at 10AM I called and was told I am now #68....this for an April cruise. Seems like a lot of movement in just about 12 hours time.

I'm curious what cruise in April? We are on the Emerald in April durring Easter and there is still plenty of cabins.

It's not the cancellations, at least in my experience. It's the group bookings that are letting go of space (and dining). Last year at this time, I had people go from #248 to #1 in under two weeks and it wasn't due to cancellations.

HHmmm....interesting...yea the person I spoke to said I should have no worries.

I just got a confirmation e-mail late last night at 9PM showing #79 on the waiting list for main dining. This AM at 10AM I called and was told I am now #68....this for an April cruise. Seems like a lot of movement in just about 12 hours time.
It all depends. It could have been a large family group that cancelled. You never know.

We were booked since last year sometime for a transpacific from Bangkok to Whittier for 32 days, then added on another 7 days to Vancouver. Today, we cancelled both as final payment is not until January sometime.

A couple of reasons came into play here.....

One, we were planning on spending several days pre-cruise in Bangkok and discovered those exact days (4/12-4/15) are Thailand's traditional New Year. Well, they have some traditional behavior in which we choose not to participate...........the dousing of anyone, especially unsuspecting tourists, with water and then adding powder or some other white substance to the mix. After researching this, plus a change in itinerary, we decided to cancel.

We had also spoken to another couple on a recent cruise who are probably going to cancel. Seems that there is probably a lot of uncertainty right now with some of the unrest that has occurred there, plus economic factors that may change a number of cruisers plans. Stay tuned...........

MIAMI (AP) -- Carnival Corp., the world's largest cruise operator, on Thursday lowered its 2009 earnings guidance and said advance bookings continue to lag compared with 2008 as consumers delay booking vacations.

"As expected, 2009 is shaping up to be a challenging year in the travel industry," said Carnival Chairman and Chief Executive Micky Arison in a statement.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081218/carnival_outlook.html?.v=1

MIAMI (AP) -- Carnival Corp., the world's largest cruise operator, on Thursday lowered its 2009 earnings guidance and said advance bookings continue to lag compared with 2008 as consumers delay booking vacations.

"As expected, 2009 is shaping up to be a challenging year in the travel industry," said Carnival Chairman and Chief Executive Micky Arison in a statement.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081218/carnival_outlook.html?.v=1

9:22AM Carnival reports Q4 earnings of $0.47, including items, revs in-line; guides Q1 EPS above consensus; guides FY09 EPS in-line (CCL) : Reports Q4 (Nov) earnings of $0.47 per share, may not be comparable to the First Call consensus of $0.40, revs increased 5.7% y/y to $3.30 bln vs $3.325 bln. Included in Q4 results is a gain of $31 mln on the sale of Cunard Line's Queen Elizabeth 2. Co issues upside guidance for Q1, sees EPS of $0.20-$0.22 vs. $0.16 consensus. Co issues in-line guidance for FY09, sees EPS of $2.50-$2.75 vs. $2.64 consensus, and vs previous guidance of $2.50-$3.00. The company expects net cruise costs excluding fuel for the full year 2009 to be higher by approximately 2% on a constant dollar basis of which approximately 1% is due to one-time credits which reduced 2008 costs. The continued decline in fuel prices are forecasted to reduce fuel expense in 2009 by $278 mln compared to previous guidance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/marketupdate/inplay

Jim

I'm curious what cruise in April? We are on the Emerald in April durring Easter and there is still plenty of cabins.

How can I easily check how much space is left on our sailing? Or is it by tediously going through category by category and looking for availability?

How can I easily check how much space is left on our sailing? Or is it by tediously going through category by category and looking for availability?

That still will not give you the answer unless less than six cabins are available in each category. If there are more than six, only six are shown. If there are six shown, you cannot tell if there are more available.

Then on the other hand I also have a cruise in April on the Coral and it is wait-listed for mini's and suites so, so far no cancellations.

Marilyn

Our March cruise was showing all balconies full, until final payment time, with guarantees at double what we paid, now there are availabilities in all categories at prices below what we paid. So I can only assume there have been lots of cancellations.

I thought it waz agengst the bored rools two critasize

Speelling earors

With many posters on this board the spelling errors certainly are rampid/rampant/rabid. But with many others, I struggle to guess which language they are trying to use.

Archived