Message Board Etiquette? Your Opinion ....

sail7seas

I'm just posting to increase my post count...

...I really don't have anything else to say right now.

;)

Really? I was just thinking that you should be over 10k by now. Slacker!! :D

Yeah ... Brian should be WAY over 10,000 posts by now! What's he been doing ... falling down on his "job"?

I know this will not be a popular response but....

I dislike the social aspect of the boards as it takes away from the information dissemination. It is why I discourage new cruisers from reading Cruise Critic - it's more of a social network than a sharing of information and reviews/opinions.

My pet peeve is smiles..............hate them!

My pet peeve is people who dont smile... If you are on holidays, it should be ok to have a fun time. We adore cruising and the fun/enjoyment we get from posting here. We will happily send smiles out to all cruisers. We adore the crew who smile all day but sometimes it is bewildering that all those smiles end up with sour frowns in return. Turn your frown upside down. It aint all bad...

:D:D:D

My pet peeve is people who dont smile... If you are on holidays, it should be ok to have a fun time. We adore cruising and the fun/enjoyment we get from posting here. We will happily send smiles out to all cruisers. We adore the crew who smile all day but sometimes it is bewildering that all those smiles end up with sour frowns in return. Turn your frown upside down. It aint all bad...

Sadly, some people simply cannot abide the thought of other people having a good time and wanting to express it. These boards are a social network ... a network of people who have discovered that they're not alone in their love/addiction to cruising. In our regular circles we can't talk about it all the time because people would look at us as if we're crazy; but here, on CC and similar kinds of boards, we CAN talk about it with people who -- by and large -- share our affliction. So, of course it becomes a social network.

Are we here to share information about cruising? Yes. Are we here to help people with questions? Yes. Are we here to get our own questions answered? Yes. However, we're human beings and we get excited about cruising and want to share that excitement with others of a like-mind. Sadly, there will be some people who just won't understand the need for a social network like this and/or who object to helpful little graphics like emoticons. I feel sorry for them.

Couldn't agree with you more, Greg. I've learned so much from the very patient posters on this board and this is where I can share my new addiction...cruising, since none of my friends get it.

I also find the roll call postings add to the level of excitement for upcoming cruises.

Yup....... This is where we feed our addiction between cruises! It is fun to talk about what we enjoy with others who share our enthusiasm. There is plenty of useful information shared and expressed and a little bit of fun never hurt anyone, IMO.

Anyone in a rush who doesn't want to read the Bon Voyages etc can 'cruise on by' them.

Sadly, some people simply cannot abide the thought of other people having a good time and wanting to express it. These boards are a social network ... a network of people who have discovered that they're not alone in their love/addiction to cruising. In our regular circles we can't talk about it all the time because people would look at us as if we're crazy; but here, on CC and similar kinds of boards, we CAN talk about it with people who -- by and large -- share our affliction. So, of course it becomes a social network.

I believe the poster was referring to their disdain for "smilies" (:p;):D:o:):()and wrote "smiles" instead.

However, in your hostile responses, you did go on to support that poster's other theory about how cliquish this board is. :-)

I believe the poster was referring to their disdain for "smilies" (:p;):D:o:):()and wrote "smiles" instead.

However, in your hostile responses, you did go on to support that poster's other theory about how cliquish this board is. :-)

How was my response "hostile"?

I know this will not be a popular response but....

I dislike the social aspect of the boards as it takes away from the information dissemination. It is why I discourage new cruisers from reading Cruise Critic - it's more of a social network than a sharing of information and reviews/opinions.

My pet peeve is smiles..............hate them!

Let's see how many message board etiquette rules I can break....:)

I believe Sail was referring to people who post the same question to six or seven boards, or in fact open several threads on one board with the same question....(Rule broken: Thinking/speaking for the OP)

I think this is not so much rude as just clueless about how that specific board works. (Rule broken: Vague but negative post about a poster).

Spelling errors bother me much more than posting "styles" that are mostly carryovers from texting! (Rule broken: Several)

Someone here used to say "Each post should have only two entries: The question and the answer; except in the case of a review where there is no answer necessary."

BORE-ING! This is almost a social networking site as much as an information exchange. (JHannah how are you doing???)

Many people here care about one another and relish the chance to meet both on cruises and otherwise. (laffnvegas: Lisa, We were in Las Vegas over Thanksgiving; forget to ask about a get together!)

Rule broken: specious usage of color/fonts

God Bless Us all, Everyone! (Rule broken: Religion reference) :D Oh, and my dopey use of smil(i)es

Cheers!(and a very Merry Christmas as DW and I try to get to Wisconsin thru Detroit and Chicago!!)

Mark

Oh and I have not read all 136 other posts (Rule broken: Not reading all the posts before responding)

This ain't rocket surgery, its a message board.

How was my response "hostile"?

I thought that this:

Sadly, some people simply cannot abide the thought of other people having a good time and wanting to express it.

was tongue-in-cheek hostile.

That said, I thought the rest of the post was informative. I agree with the poster who said this board borders on too social, but you make some good points as to why that is, and why you prefer it that way.

However ... you did go on to support that poster's other theory about how cliquish this board is. :-)

Very often a "clique" can be defined as any "exclusive group" of which the user of the term is not a member.

Essentially, this board is not made up of cliques because all it takes to be welcomed here is to join-in on the discussions rather than just bad-mouth, label, and otherwise complain about those who do post.

Now, I will grant you that, very often, this board does appear as though its made up of one or more cliques; that's because many of us who have posted here (in some cases for 7 or more years) have come to know each other personally, have cruised with each other, and communicate with each other off-the-board as well as on it. We care about each other's families, work situations, health and welfare. This board can be amazingly supportive, and for that -- and for every person on it -- I give thanks. All one has to do to be included into this group is to, as I said above, join in on the conversations. Contrary wise, the best way to ensure that one feels excluded is to sit on the side line and not post ... or, worse still, sit on the side lines and make rude, judgmental comments about those who are posting.

I thought that this:

Originally Posted by RevNeal

Sadly, some people simply cannot abide the thought of other people having a good time and wanting to express it.

was tongue-in-cheek hostile.

I'm sorry if you interpreted my statement as being "tongue-in-cheek hostile." It wasn't intended that way. I was being serious and unambiguous. We have had people on this board who have taken great offense at members of this board "having fun" together on this board. We have had posters pop in for the admitted purpose of breaking up an otherwise positive, meaningful, and substantive discussion simply because they didn't like one or more of those who were involved in the discussion. We have had personal animosities expressed on this board, and even taken off the board and into the real world in attempts to destroy personal lives and livelihoods. So ... yes ... there are some people who do not like it when they see others -- certain, specific members -- having a good time together on this board or, indeed, on their cruises.

That said, I thought the rest of the post was informative. I agree with the poster who said this board borders on too social, but you make some good points as to why that is, and why you prefer it that way.

Thank you. I appreciate that.

As for having a good time, my only observation about that is sometimes the chattiness on this board between good friends tends to dominate certain threads and make them seem more like a reunion of old friends than a message board in the usual sense of the term.

That same chattiness, while probably not intending to do so, often makes "outsiders" out of members who are more restrained and polite. I think that's unfortunate, but probably unavoidable.

It is, after all, a message board, not a cocktail party or a old friends reunion.

JMO.

The original question had to do with posting often and how did people feel about that. I think it is great for people to post often, but I feel that people should stay on the topic of the original poster's comments or questioins. If they want to visit about something new, start a new post. This is just my opinion, and that was what was originally requested.

The original question had to do with posting often and how did people feel about that. I think it is great for people to post often, but I feel that people should stay on the topic of the original poster's comments or questioins. If they want to visit about something new, start a new post. This is just my opinion, and that was what was originally requested.

Actually, Sail's original question was a little more involved than just people who post often ... however, I do understand your point. Perhaps we might think of what's been happening on this thread over the past couple of pages as being an illustration of what posting often actually looks like after a time. :) Thread drift is a reality ... I've long since learned to live with it. So long as the original topic of the thread has been covered, these threads have a way of taking up a life all their own ... as is true with any conversation around the dinner table. :)

Indeed ... look at these threads as precisely that: conversations around the dinner table.

Now ... where's that bar steward. I'm just out from my 7 pm Christmas eve Eucharist and need a brandy with which to relax prior to my 11 pm service.

Archived