A question for TA's...I'm worried!

muladybug

I found a rate reduction on my sailing and notified my TA today and it has just been processed. The problem is that the new invoice now has a new booking ID and it is on a NEXT CRUISE voucher. I am worried that it cannot be retrieved and my OBC is lost. Now what..? I have notified my TA of the discrepancy but I am needing reassurance now!.....

muladybug, it sounds like things worked out for you. It's odd that you have a new booking number, however??? I've never heard of that, but whatever ... :rolleyes:

Sometimes TA's use their own booking numbers in addition to RCI's booking numbers. Perhaps the TA's booking number changed but RCI's stayed the same?

And........you are an experienced cruiser!!

Rick

Do you think it's hard for a newbie to call RCl directly and book? They are very accomodating and will explain anything to you. It's no different then using a TA.Unfortunatly TA's are having to charge customers for changes and cancellations making them expensive for customers to use.

Do you think it's hard for a newbie to call RCl directly and book? They are very accomodating and will explain anything to you. It's no different then using a TA.Unfortunatly TA's are having to charge customers for changes and cancellations making them expensive for customers to use.

I don´t pay a single penny more using a TA then booking with a TA. I´m not denying there´s Ta´s out there charging such fees but I wouldn´t say it´s the norm.

Yes I would say it can be hard for a newbie to book directly. Before calling a cruise line directly the newbie would have to know what cruiseline he wants to cruise with and that alone a TA can be very helpfuol with.

Just for the records I´m not a TA, but I wouildn´t outright say TA´s are useless. For some they work great, while others want to book direct.

Just another aspect to be thrown in, I can´t even book directly and need to use a TA to book with RCCL.

Booking yourself on RCL or Celebrity is more expensive because RCL will not offer OBCs. A good TA with a large agency has 100X more influence with the cruise line if something does go wrong. Booking a cruise is a lot different that booking a hotel room. Each cruise line, ship, cabin, itineray, etc. is different and most new cruisers have no idea where to start. All Cruise Lines recommend the use of TAs because they want people to be happy and cruise again. It appears that there is a movement by the Cruise Lines to do away with their individual reservation departments, so I would suggest that you all find a good TA.

You are all for booking direct. You say it enough.

Most TA's do not charge extra fees.

You are all for booking direct. You say it enough.

Most TA's do not charge extra fees.

So you've surveyed how many TA's to come to your fact they don't charge extra fees? I used a TA for my last RCL cruise and they charged $25 to take advantage of a price reduction. They charged $25 to change a cabin to a better one. It wasn't worth the $75 OBC. I called around and found many do charge fees but i don't claim "most do" or most don't since i don't know. I guess you could call around until you found one that has no fees but it's easier to call RCL directly and book.

I used a TA for my last RCL cruise and they charged $25 to take advantage of a price reduction. They charged $25 to change a cabin to a better one. It wasn't worth the $75 OBC. I called around and found many do charge fees but i don't claim "most do" or most don't since i don't know. I guess you could call around until you found one that has no fees but it's easier to call RCL directly and book.

Seems to me that this is no ones fault but your own. You could have asked some more questions of a strange TA about fees.

A good TA will offer great service with NO fees.

They may also look for price reductions and or upgrades for your specific booking.

Some give you on board credit

So except for the OBC,booking myself does not cost me money.....

I dont begrudge anyone who does book with a TA.........I just prefer not to.........I look for my own price drops and upgrades on my own....

So except for the OBC,booking myself does not cost me money.....

I dont begrudge anyone who does book with a TA.........I just prefer not to.........I look for my own price drops and upgrades on my own....

That's fine with me. I don't have a problem with anyone who books on their own.

Just letting those that do, that they don't see every discount available until the last minute. Ta's get this info days ahead and are able to take advantage right away before the incentive goes away, sometimes within minutes of the Tuesday open.

This made me curious, how come?

I don't know if my answer is the same as "madforcruising", but those of us that don't live in the US or Canada (although I am originally from the US), cannot book directly with most of the cruise lines and get the prices that you are able to see. If you are online from anywhere outside of North America, you will be redirected (at least from RCL or X, also Princess, HAL etc.) to a travel agent in your own country. And the prices and T&Cs are totally different. For example, you do not have until final payment to cancel without any charge. As a matter of fact, you will generally lose your entire deposit if you change your mind 10 minutes after your cruise is booked -- even if it isn't even taking place for 12 or more months!! You will rarely get an OBC from a travel agent outside of North America and you can generally not take advantage of any reductions. 'nuff said!:eek:

THEREFORE, many of us living outside the U.S. use a ta in the U.S. and/or a mailing address of a friend or relative living in the U.S. when booking cruises.;)

Ta's get this info days ahead and are able to take advantage right away before the incentive goes away, sometimes within minutes of the Tuesday open.
But those Tuesday deals are for new bookings only.......wouldnt help me with a price drop......

This made me curious, how come?

I don't know if my answer is the same as "madforcruising", but those of us that don't live in the US or Canada (although I am originally from the US), cannot book directly with most of the cruise lines and get the prices that you are able to see. If you are online from anywhere outside of North America, you will be redirected (at least from RCL or X, also Princess, HAL etc.) to a travel agent in your own country. And the prices and T&Cs are totally different. For example, you do not have until final payment to cancel without any charge. As a matter of fact, you will generally lose your entire deposit if you change your mind 10 minutes after your cruise is booked -- even if it isn't even taking place for 12 or more months!! You will rarely get an OBC from a travel agent outside of North America and you can generally not take advantage of any reductions. 'nuff said!:eek:

THEREFORE, many of us living outside the U.S. use a ta in the U.S. and/or a mailing address of a friend or relative living in the U.S. when booking cruises.;)

Same over here:)

Archived