LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

We were told to meet in Studio B at 9:15 for our ship's four hour tour of Salvador. There are only two ship's excursions here - a two hour with no walking where you stay in the bus the whole time, and a four hour with bus transportation to the main area, then a fair amount of walking to and in historic places, then a bus ride back to the port, seeing other stuff along the way.

Most of the ship was doing our tour, and there were LOTS of buses. We were given a sticker as we approached Studio B, which was one of several colors, and a number. Then they called the groups by this code.

I had never taken a large ship's excursion before. This was pretty chaotic, as only so many buses could pull up to the sidewalk out front at a time. We finally got going on our tour around 10.

Salvadorans are very proud of their city, which has a very long history. It was the first area settled and was the colonial capital for about 300 years. We toured beautiful churches, saw lovely cobblestoned streets and charming streetscapes. There were many vendors, selling various touristy things. Many found them more annoying and pushy than the people in Jamaica, but I didn't. It is what it is.

There is an upper and a lower town, and they are connected not only by roads, but by a huge elevator. We didn't get a chance to ride it, although I asked our guide about doing so.

Everyone on our bus wanted to be taken back to the port, but I opted to be dropped at the Mercado Modelo, which turned out (as it had looked from above) to be very close to the terminal anyway. Cindy and I went to this large building which houses many stalls that sell not only typical t-shirts and souvenirs, but jewelry, linens, clothing, carved wood items, etc. It was quite a frenetic atmosphere! Cindy had a Skol beer, and found a shirt that she liked. I helped her bargain down the price - there's nothing like walking away to get a guy to come running after you and agree to take the amount that you had offered.

It was VERY hot in Salvador. It IS the middle of their summer, and we ARE very far south. It's on a lovely bay, with nice beaches and warm waters. I don't convert C to F very well, but our guide said that it was about 94 degrees. I've been in Naples and Pompeii in August, so I can stand just about anything, but many others were wilting.

All in all, in was nice to get on the land again, and Salvador was worth seeing..........once.

Carol............go see Annie before she gets off on Monday at the LA desk, say hi to her for me...........and tell her you want to keep your RFS.

Rick

I believe that Andrea has "done the deed for us. :D

I should go check that now.....

*lol* SO I guess you feel really young on this leg?

Will you be aboard for the 19th one night sailing? I will and look forward to meeting as many of the regulars on here as possible.

I was offered the two night, but I just *can't* do it. I am so disappointed that I won't get to see so many of my California cruising friends, but it's just too difficult, logistically.

:(

The passenger list on this cruise skew "old". (she said, in the grossest underestimation in human history.....)

How old?

The midnight buffet last night was at 10:30. :p;):cool:

Now you know what a longish HAL cruise is all about. Who else has the money and the time to do these longer trips.:D

Beautiful pictures Carol!! I'm hoping that you will share some of these ond the DVD to be made.

Bobbie says that she is having trouble with my camera.......that the batteries are not lasting long. I have more on order.......but won't get them till the last leg.

Unfortunately she has not been letting them die all the way down......so now their life is limited.

I know that everyone is sharing their pictures.......and yours are first class!! Thanks for sharing!!

Rick

Beautiful pictures Carol!! I'm hoping that you will share some of these ond the DVD to be made.

Bobbie says that she is having trouble with my camera.......that the batteries are not lasting long. I have more on order.......but won't get them till the last leg.

Unfortunately she has not been letting them die all the way down......so now their life is limited.

I know that everyone is sharing their pictures.......and yours are first class!! Thanks for sharing!!

Rick

The DVD for the first leg is done, and it is magnificent. :)

What wonderful posts...I'm enjoying this thread.

I'll be sailing the Brilliance in May. Then, I plan to sail on the Mariner next year. Love all the beautiful pictures of her. Thanks!

Hey Rick...you and Bobbie sure know how to enjoy life.

My son will be boarding the Voyager, tomorrow. He was excited, when he left for Texas this afternoon. I'm stuck here in freezing temps, although it did warm up today.

The passenger list on this cruise skew "old". (she said, in the grossest underestimation in human history.....)

How old?

The midnight buffet last night was at 10:30. :p;):cool:

wow I just asked DH what time was the midnight buffet he says midnight haha 10:30 wow

The yellow building in the center is the Mercado Modelo.

2699863000077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Chops dinner: Me, Melissa Browne (LA) and Adolf (F&B)

2659353550077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

And the one that you've been waiting for; Carol and Gunnar. <sigh>

2813052800077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Ah, Gee, I guess that photo of you and Gunnar is a keeper, huh, Carol? Nice going.

Thanks for all the posts and photos.

Colleen

FB at Guest Relations is at it again.

(you all remember her: I am worried that she'll end up with an aneurysm from all of her eyerolling. For anyone who doesn't know why I call her "FB", email me at my CC name at aol dot com).

One of our group went to the Purser's Desk and requested that they NOT be upgraded, because they just prefer to stay in their same cabin all three legs.

FB told her, "People need to just go where they are told."

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ya know Carol, I have a feeling those of us who have been to Guest Relations a few times know exactly what "FB" means without having to email you. Kinda like anyone with their little sphere of "power". "FB" is exactly the word, Lol!

aplmac - I have to tell you... I have a wish list of lenses for my camera

and would've NEVER thought of a super-wide-angle....

I just added it - but at the TOP of the list.

LOVE your shots. I wanna be like you when I grow up. ===> ..but ...I'm Peter Pan! :D

Most people get thoroughly hung up on the extreme magnifications that tele's and long-tele's render

- and forget all about the other end of the optical range.

Because I was keenly involved in underwater photography for over a decade

I thoroughly explored the realm of fish-eye's and super-wides

(tele's are useless in visibility reduced to 50 ft. or less, as in underwater!)

I'm glad to have introduced you (and hopefully others) to the sheer magic that super-wides can bring

to interior shots of our favorite environment. :)

The Sigma 10-20 is reasonably affordable, and you'll love it!

Buy one as soon as possible...you won't regret it!

And now, to show you that I also use a tele lens from time to time

here are three shots of Mariner as she approached Barbados on the morning of Jan. 10th.

using my 18-105 mm. Nikkor zoom (the other lens - I own and use just two!)

Mariner-37.JPG

Mariner-45.jpg

Mariner-75.jpg

For this last one, the Nikkor zoom is set somewhere around 20-25 mm. focal length -not sure.

I hope you guys realize I have over 1,200 cruise pics

plastered all over the Cruisecritic Photo Gallery..

You might start here, at the RCI section.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showgallery.php?cat=523

I hope you guys realize I have over a

Archived