LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

As I write this..........the ship is approximately 60 nautical miles from Rio, her last stop on the first leg of this historic voyage. I know that many onboard will be taking pictures of the coastline and city as the Mariner pulls thru a narrow passage into the harbor.

I'm looking forward to talking with Bobbie tomorrow, and getting caught up on her travels for the first leg..........little things that she has left off of her emails!!:D

She also gets to move cabins tomorrow, actually from the port side to the starboard side.......and onto the hump. Moving is pretty easy, as a Steward will bring a cart, much like a hotel cart, where they take all of her hanging items and hang them on the cart, and then add the suitcases on the bottom of the cart. She is very efficient at packing and unpacking...........so moving is not too unsettling for her.

I'm looking forward to Carols pictures of Rio.......a little later this week. We have briefly corresponded by email.......and it will be a great reunion in just a couple of weeks for us!!

Rick

Carol - So glad you are having a wonderful cruise!!!!! I have been lurking around this thread, and thought it was time to start posting :)

I hope you can secure the RFS again - it is still showing as available on the RCI website :cool:

Your pics are awesome! So great to finally put a beautiful face with a name we all know so well!!! :D

Carol, great pictures of the older buildings in the city. Some interesting architecture there.

When you get home and have regular internet available you should go thru this thread again and look at APLMACs shots of the ship. Some of the best ultra-wide pictures I have ever seen.

I intend to download her pictures on my laptop and study them. As an educator you understand, study from the masters!

Have fun

When you get home and have regular internet available

you should go thru this thread again and look at APLMAC's shots of the ship.

Some of the best ultra-wide pictures I have ever seen. ===> I'm blushing..

I intend to download her pictures on my laptop and study them.

As an educator you understand, study from the masters!

Not sure when or where the sex change came in, and I'm :D:D as I write this

but your favorite photographer is a big ole hairy dude, sorry! :D

Here's a picture of me and the wife at the Captain's cocktail party

in the aft lounge on Carnival Victory, back in November

DNH_and_JGH_on_Victory.jpg

No offence taken whatsoever...just glad you like my pics. :)

That's a tiny Nikon Coolpix P50 in my right hand, not the D60

QM2 (the largest ship to dock there, about the size of a Freedom class ship) had to back down the channel, and Mariner will as well because she's too tall to pass under the Vincent Thomas Bridge. And she'll be at the older terminal. They are in the process of reconfiguring it so that there won't be that huge bottleneck to get into the terminal (at least one can hope).

Also of interest (or not, LOL) is that Mariner will run on electric power from shore while she's in port. The streets near the port have been torn up for a few months as they put that capacity in place. They'll just have to remember to unplug her before they sail away!

Can you explain... where is the old terminal? We will be there for the May 10th voyage.

Not sure when or where the sex change came in, and I'm :D:D as I write this

but your favorite photographer is a big ole hairy dude, sorry! :D

Here's a picture of me and the wife at the Captain's cocktail party

in the aft lounge on Carnival Victory, back in November

DNH_and_JGH_on_Victory.jpg

No offence taken whatsoever...just glad you like my pics. :)

That's a tiny Nikon Coolpix P50 in my right hand, not the D60

Sorry about that. I thought that somewhere earlier in this long thread someone referred to you as she.

We were on the Victory in 2006 and thought the ship looked run down. Was it fixed up in the 2007 dry dock?

I have a big non-SLR Panasonic Lumix FZ-30 and a smaller Nikon P60 which we got when the Lumix was drenched in three rainstorms, even putting it under shirts, water just leached into the camera from the shirts, it totally froze and wouldn't work at all. Took 30 minutes to get back to the ship, destroyed the circuit boards of the Lumix. The Nikon goes down to 27mm but a little bit of distortion. 18X range, up to 496mm equiv.

That should be P80 27-486 zoom range.
Aha! I handled one of them in the local camera store, just about 2 weeks ago

and was impressed by the incredible zoom range! :eek:

I came away thinking that maybe if I'd been shown that model before I got to the D60,

I could have easily bought the P80 instead,

and for half the price of the D60 with kit lens

but then I wouldn't have had the (Sigma and other)interchangeable-lens option

and I wouldn't be posting these wiiide shots here for you guys

- so it all worked out well in the end.

I was looking at the P80 with a view to recommending it to my step-dau

who really should buy it.

On the expensive subject of rain-drenched cameras!

I've lately taken to stuffing a supermarket plastic bag in a pocket

if I'm taking the D60 out into possibly-inclement weather.

If the rain comes down, I can quickly wrap the camera in the bag!

Beats having a wet motherboard, etc.

P80-02.jpg.f31c3c95d02f2b532d5d1a477ed16395.jpg

P80_01.jpg.c660ba14f9239b8fa8a9d35a4557bee3.jpg

P80-03.jpg.69ab4776e63c313312b572d62e79a030.jpg

Aha! I handled one of them in the local camera store, just about 2 weeks ago

and was impressed by the incredible zoom range! :eek:

I came away thinking that maybe if I'd been shown that model before I got to the D60,

I could have easily bought the P80 instead,

and for half the price of the D60 with kit lens

but then I wouldn't have had the (Sigma and other)interchangeable-lens option

and I wouldn't be posting these wiiide shots here for you guys

- so it all worked out well in the end.

I was looking at the P80 with a view to recommending it to my step-dau

who really should buy it.

On the expensive subject of rain-drenched cameras!

I've lately taken to stuffing a supermarket plastic bag in a pocket

if I'm taking the D60 out into possibly-inclement weather.

If the rain comes down, I can quickly wrap the camera in the bag!

Beats having a wet motherboard, etc.

Which is what we do now, take 2 heavy duty plastic bags scrunched up with us on excursions, and if rain starts...........

Sorry about that. ===> NOT a problem! :D

We were on the Victory in 2006 and thought the ship looked run down.

Was it fixed up in the 2007 dry dock? ===> Yup!

Victory was just fine when we were on board for three short days, in early November, 2008.

If you want to take a look, we've had a well-illustrated thread going, over at Carnival-threads URL...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=880248

for some time now.

LOTS of interiors and Caribbean Islands shots over there!

Underway-63.jpg

Can you explain... where is the old terminal? We will be there for the May 10th voyage.

It's at the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro. I should have said "Berth," as there are 3 in there, 91, 92 and 93. 93 is the most recently refurbished (it's where the Pacific Princess sailed from in the "Love Boat"), and I prefer the embarkation there - you check in and get your Seapass, then go through security to board. At 92, you got through security upon arrival at the port, so there can be a long line outside just waiting to get into the building. I have heard that they're doing some remodelling, though, so maybe they'll make it a better process.

I got a Nikon P80 for Christmas, graduating from the pocket size Sony. I love it! The zoom is amazing. I'm still just learning to operate it, though, and am dependent on the manual for anything but the basics.:o

The passenger list on this cruise skew "old". (she said, in the grossest underestimation in human history.....)

How old?

The midnight buffet last night was at 10:30. :p;):cool:

Kind of figured that out when I seen the list of entertainers

Marty Allan

too many Big Band such as a Dorsey Brother. Or was it Harry James no wait it was

Glen Miller.

The Sigma 10-20 is reasonably affordable, and you'll love it!

Buy one as soon as possible...you won't regret it!

ealize I have over a

I have a Canon Digital Rebel SLR - so will need to find one that will work on mine. Is the Sigma one that is interchangeable between Nikon & Canon? No worries - I will do my research. You have helpful enough, I don't want to burden you. :)

I am hoping to take advantage of Circuit City's failure and maybe snag a couple of lenses when the discounts get a little deeper. Will keep an eye on local inventory. :D

Archived