Johnny Rockets Now $4.95???

Oh Yes, JR's is so out of the way (except for the kids club) it could easily be forgotten by adults with Diamond status. Oh, and least we forget, when those (lowly-it seems nowadays) Diamond folks show up with their coupons, don't forget that when they leave JR's they leave paying a bill much larger than the coupon. Shakes, drinks, alcohol, nice tips, etc. The coupons don't make it free or a give-away, it just gets you in the door!!!! Hello, Business Course/Marketing 101!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being as frugal (cheap) as I'am, I usually order a glass of water with my double cheese burger and fries.

The $14.95 steak upcharge was limited to Freedom (and one Sov. class ship?). It wasn't on any other ship; we took the Indy TA in Nov and the Explorer holiday in Dec and steak was on the menu every day, included, no extra charge. Over 25 nights, I had it 5 times.

I'm not a fan of all the changes, but this is all about personal choice.

If you object to the increased charge, just don't go to JR. There are several ships (ie Radiance Class) that don't even have them...sail on them. :p

Some have NO choice. RCCL is a place of worship or they have committed to be loyal, forsaking all others. McDonald's took their double cheese burger off the dollar menu, so we went to Wendy's. It's wasn't the same but not bad:p McDonald did not inform me, their most loyal customer, of the change. I was digging for pennies at the last minutes, with two whining cruisers...ooops kids in the car. I forgave them and will return for their nuggets but Wendy's here I come.

Reality check: If you leave and you are of any great importance to their bottom line, they will make the move to get your business back. So far nothing from McDonald's:D

Some have NO choice. RCCL is a place of worship or they have committed to be loyal, forsaking all others. McDonald's took their double cheese burger off the dollar menu, so we went to Wendy's. It's wasn't the same but not bad:p McDonald did not inform me, their most loyal customer, of the change. I was digging for pennies at the last minutes, with two whining cruisers...ooops kids in the car. I forgave them and will return for their nuggets but Wendy's here I come.

Reality check: If you leave and you are of any great importance to their bottom line, they will make the move to get your business back. So far nothing from McDonald's:D

You know, you have a point. People like me who spend tens of thousands per year on RCL should really take a stand and put our money where our mouth is. Or in my case, I should ask RCL for my money back. By that I mean the large amount of money I have on deposit for my upcoming cruises. (We cruise with 6 people each time so deposits are rather large.)I should cancel them and get my money refunded. Why should RCL have my money for months or a year or even 2 years!!!! Then I would be able to book at the last minute, fire sale rates for new bookings only, just weeks before the cruise. I mean if RCL could care less that I am Diamond or almost Diamond Plus, than why should I leave my deposits with them to get a skimpy discount? Better to keep my money and watch for the significant price drops if everyone else does the same. If they don't want us to book in advance then we won't. Let's all get the fire sale prices!!!!

You know, you have a point. People like me who spend tens of thousands per year on RCL should really take a stand and put our money where our mouth is. Or in my case, I should ask RCL for my money back. By that I mean the large amount of money I have on deposit for my upcoming cruises. (We cruise with 6 people each time so deposits are rather large.)I should cancel them and get my money refunded. Why should RCL have my money for months or a year or even 2 years!!!! Then I would be able to book at the last minute, fire sale rates for new bookings only, just weeks before the cruise. I mean if RCL could care less that I am Diamond or almost Diamond Plus, than why should I leave my deposits with them to get a skimpy discount? Better to keep my money and watch for the significant price drops if everyone else does the same. If they don't want us to book in advance then we won't. Let's all get the fire sale prices!!!!

Now you are back in charge, why not consider another cruise line. Maybe I missed something in my research, but Princess and RCL are very similar with one major exception. Princess still sails ship why RCCL has monstrosities. Open up yourself to new possibilities. I will return to McDonald's for the nugget but, they have lost my business on that burger. It adds up when it's your turn to carpool. No, I can't just buy the burger for my kids:D

Pricing 101 - If no one is booking early then more than likely they will offer the deep discount for early bookers. I decide my budget then choose who has the best product for what I am willing to pay. So far RCCL, Carnival and Princess have worked for me at different times for different reasons.

The $14.95 steak upcharge was limited to Freedom (and one Sov. class ship?). It wasn't on any other ship; we took the Indy TA in Nov and the Explorer holiday in Dec and steak was on the menu every day, included, no extra charge. Over 25 nights, I had it 5 times.

The Majesty has the $14.95 steak.

:confused: I just can't understand why some of you folks are getting your panties in such a wad over one dollar at JR's and an "Optional" $14.95 steak.

When was the last time there was a price increase at JR's??? Is $1 really going to break you?

By reading some of the posts here ... you would think that you "must" pay $14.95 to eat a steak in the MDR. That just isn't so. It's an option for the "Chops" style steak. Some folks actually like having that option. There's nothing wrong with the regular (no extra cost) steak that's served.

I cruise in a week and a half and I just decided, after reading this thread, to stop reading CC until after I get back. I just can't stand the whining anymore.

If you consider the total cost of a cruise, inkl. air travel, etc.... is it really a problem to pay a single buck more for a meal at JR????

Finally everybody has a choice - nobody is forced to eat at JR.

If I refused to patronize and got my britches in a twist over every place that I have eaten lately where the prices have gone up (without any prior announcement, I might add....), I would never go out to eat anymore! I'd spend my time at home in my kitchen, cooking for myself........in twisted britches! :eek:

On our last two cruises we had coupons for JR never did use them, We do not go to burger places at home so it is not big deal what JR charges. For us this is a non issue.

Ditto.....

On our first cruise we did try JR's, DH thought it was cool to try it out. I was unimpressed with the burgers. Since then we have always gotten coupons to go for free but we haven't been back.

I for one do not understand why RCCI and others are starting all the nickel and diming, on our last cruise the ship was sold out!! They had tables set up everywhere for yard sale type sales blocking aisles and making it difficult to get around, yet people were at them buying in droves.

We also booked another cruise for May while on board and already the main dining was full. So honestly I find it hard to believe they are having trouble filling these ships.

PS> We were never charged $3.95 RS which we received several times.

their cutbacks and extra charges seem to be a daily occurance. So who are they going to blame for this one. They have already used the "teens". They just picked on the late night crowd, I'm sure they have got to have some lame reason that everyone will embrace.

Actually Brad, RCI doesn't have to have some lame reason as there will be plenty of posts on this thread where folks will make up some lame reason and CLAIM it is RCI's reason for the increase.

Right on!!!

So everyone here who works for a living...did your company raise prices to their customers in the recent months? I bet most did. I had one of my consulting clients raise their prices significantly this year for various reasons...

In your input prices go up and you want to continue to make profit, you must raise your prices. Hay, feed, fertlizer, etc...all cost a lot more now than a few years ago, hence the farm product prices are up for those end users in the grocery store, or the RCCL buyer getting provisions to feed everyone on the ship.

Well. I work for a living and there are many insurance companies that have not increased their reimbursement rates to me in several years. My expenses are up but somehow I am expected to just eat it.

Yeah.... I know..... I just felt like putting in a little rant.;)

Thanks for informing me. I wasn't aware of the change. Now I won't even bother stopping there!

I think the most refreshing aspect of this thread is that no one IS coming up with a bunch of lame reasons for charges and charge increases any longer. Finally everyone is on the same page about this being a way to increase the bottom line.

When they started charging for J.R's my biggest gripe was with folks fabricating all kinds of reasons for it and completely dismissing the obvious. At least people seem to have given up on trying to white-wash what is going on with the charges. It is about business. And the truth is often accepted, and easier to take, than a lot of hog-wash.

Archived