Kindle Count

Pat.bz

Question from me...is the screen black an white, or is there color options?

Probably not absolutely black and white but just like reading a paperback. I would think colors would make the eyes tired just like looking at a computer screen to read.

Another feature I like is the dictionary... you click on a line and it will take you to another screen and give the dictionary version of the words on that line and returns you back to your reading spot.

You can also listen to music and/or audio books but I am not sure how well these features work but will give it a try soon and let you know.

Battery life is great even when you leave it on when not reading and doesn't take long to charge.

I love my kindle...

I am really looking forward to the color version. It should be a great product for travelers after they come out with color so that we can load travel books, brochures and maps on it for the all places we will be visiting. That will save us a lot of packing space and some weight in the suitcase on multi-destination trips. I am guessing that it will have an option to turn the color on or off depending on what you are viewing and personal preference.

Another feature I would like to see is the ability to annotate it, so that you can add your own notes and highlight wherever you wish, the way you can with paper books and maps or a document stored on your computer. Does anyone know if that can be done now or if there are plans to make it available on future models?

How do you plan to do to dispose of your Kindle when it expires?

good one

My wish list for the next Kindle is a built in booklight. Swing arm out and switch on. I also would like a notepad feature

I need to investigate but on the main page mine has a 1/4 " black streak down the side that won't go away, anyone else had this problem?

good one

My wish list for the next Kindle is a built in booklight. Swing arm out and switch on. I also would like a notepad feature

I need to investigate but on the main page mine has a 1/4 " black streak down the side that won't go away, anyone else had this problem?

I bought the Sony cover with the light, it's awesome. I'm sure a light option will be available on the next release of the kindle.

I am really looking forward to the color version. It should be a great product for travelers after they come out with color so that we can load travel books, brochures and maps on it for the all places we will be visiting. That will save us a lot of packing space and some weight in the suitcase on multi-destination trips. I am guessing that it will have an option to turn the color on or off depending on what you are viewing and personal preference.

Another feature I would like to see is the ability to annotate it, so that you can add your own notes and highlight wherever you wish, the way you can with paper books and maps or a document stored on your computer. Does anyone know if that can be done now or if there are plans to make it available on future models?

From Amazon's Kindle site:

Bookmarks and Annotation

By using the keyboard, you can add annotations to text, just like you might write in the margins of a book. And because it is digital, you can edit, delete, and export your notes, highlight and clip key passages, and bookmark pages for future use. You'll never need to bookmark your last place in the book, because Kindle remembers for you and always opens to the last page you read.

DH and I just returned from a b2b from Rome to San Juan and we each had our Kindles (loaded with 40 or so books each). On 2 cruises on the Galaxy we only saw one other Kindle--which surprised me. We got a lot of attention with them (especially from crew members). We are going b2b2b starting in March and we are wondering if we'll start seeing more Kindles. Is anyone using or buying one or is everyone just using them in their cabins rather than on deck?

I would LOVE a Kindle!!! My birthday IS coming up...:D

I can't understand the question about color, what books have color text?

I love the Kindle because I can change the text to larger fonts, which is easy on my aging eyes.

I only realized this when I was reading a favorite book, and when I looked up or finished reading for the day or evening, every thing was blurry for about two hours.

I never have this problem with the kindle, I can read for hours and then not have to worry about my eyes adjusting.

I don't know is this is the reason but I have no night vision, after having laser surgery on my eyes about 5 years ago, I totally lost my night vision.:confused:

I bought a Kindle for our cruise in December and cannot say enough about it. I also liked the ability to make the print larger when I am tired. I carry it in my purse and always have something to read. I recently bought an MEdge book cover for it through Amazon and like this cover so much better than the original. I also got the new M edge light which is a good addition. Kindles were made for traveling

I bought a Kindle for our cruise in December and cannot say enough about it. I also liked the ability to make the print larger when I am tired. I carry it in my purse and always have something to read. I recently bought an MEdge book cover for it through Amazon and like this cover so much better than the original. I also got the new M edge light which is a good addition. Kindles were made for traveling

I want to buy the M edge light for my friend who is taking the Equinox TA with me in November. She just got her kindle last week. When I checked on amazon, they are backordered. How long did it take for you to get yours? I'm hoping to get it for her before she buys it for herself! My M edge cover & light came with mine (bought it on ebay).

I want to buy the M edge light for my friend who is taking the Equinox TA with me in November. She just got her kindle last week. When I checked on amazon, they are backordered. How long did it take for you to get yours? I'm hoping to get it for her before she buys it for herself! My M edge cover & light came with mine (bought it on ebay).

It was also backordered when I placed my order. It was shipped the date they told me the shipment would go out in January. They must have sold them all out again. I would send the people at M Edge an email through amazon. I did that with the book cover and they got back to me in a couple of hours. What a nice gift!!!

I find that I am reading a lot more now that I have my Kindle. Once I find an author I like, I order several more books from that author. Since they are usually older versions, I find I am paying between $3 and $5 for these books. The library on the Millenium was beyond pathetic. Most of the very few books were in other languages. I was so glad I had the Kindle. I read 6 books on the cruise and would never have brought that many books with me with the weight restrictions on Qantas.

Cruisejunkie-where did you find this , sounds good

I bought it at the Sony Store. Let me see if I can find the link for you. It also comes with a very nice cover which I find nicer than the one the Sony originally came with. The light pops out pretty easily too.

Here's the link:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665480080

A new, re-designed Kindle will be unveiled by Amazon at a press conference on February 6th.

Can I ask what your source is? Everything I've read says the 9th and no confirmation that it is in fact a re-designed Kindle, although that would make sense, they desperately need a re-design.

Can I ask what your source is? Everything I've read says the 9th and no confirmation that it is in fact a re-designed Kindle, although that would make sense, they desperately need a re-design.

CJ - I think the date is the 9th. It is expected to be 2.0 according to Seattle Times and New York Times. I saw a photo of the guess what the new one looks like and like the shape of the orignal better.:o

I want the news papers on the ships!!!

CJ - I think the date is the 9th. It is expected to be 2.0 according to Seattle Times and New York Times. I saw a photo of the guess what the new one looks like and like the shape of the orignal better.:o

I want the news papers on the ships!!!

I saw that picture too. It's starting to look like all the other ereaders. I just wish they'd open it up outside the US. I really don't care which one people buy, I think ebook readers are awesome, but there is a world outside the US and Amazon did not invent the ereader, they've been around for years.

I know you're on the fence about getting one, I honestly couldn't imagine going back to paper. I haven't picked up a paper book since I bought my reader, it's addictive :)

I saw that picture too. It's starting to look like all the other ereaders. I just wish they'd open it up outside the US. I really don't care which one people buy, I think ebook readers are awesome, but there is a world outside the US and Amazon did not invent the ereader, they've been around for years.

I know you're on the fence about getting one, I honestly couldn't imagine going back to paper. I haven't picked up a paper book since I bought my reader, it's addictive :)

My preference is the Sony.:)

SHSHHHHH, we're surrounded by Kindle fans

Hi Cruise Junky:

Did you buy your Sony online or from a bricks and mortar store?

I think it's the perfect gift to buy for my DH before we go to the eastern Med.

Daft question from someone who knows absolutely nothing about these readers....once you've downloaded the books, and the unit is charged up, can you use them anywhere in the world, like an Ipod?

Hi Cruise Junky:

Did you buy your Sony online or from a bricks and mortar store?

I think it's the perfect gift to buy for my DH before we go to the eastern Med.

Daft question from someone who knows absolutely nothing about these readers....once you've downloaded the books, and the unit is charged up, can you use them anywhere in the world, like an Ipod?

Hi there, fellow Vancouverite. I bought mine from the Sony store in Pacific Center and my best friend got hers from the Sony store in Coquitlam Center. I had an online order submitted but they were backordered, started phoning around and found the stores that had them. That was right when they came into Canada, it's probably easier to find them now. They work just like an IPOD actually, the Sony doesn't have the wireless connection that the Kindle does, so you download to your PC and then sync your reader with your PC, you can create files and reading lists etc. The Sony also takes a SD card up to 8 GB. I have about 77 books unread on my reader and another 80 or so on my SD Card . Once your books are loaded up, you're free to roam anywhere. The battery life of both the Kindle and the Sony is incredible, both have three sizes of print. I find I read on Medium most of the time, but switch to large print late at night.

Hi there, fellow Vancouverite. I bought mine from the Sony store in Pacific Center and my best friend got hers from the Sony store in Coquitlam Center. I had an online order submitted but they were backordered, started phoning around and found the stores that had them. That was right when they came into Canada, it's probably easier to find them now. They work just like an IPOD actually, the Sony doesn't have the wireless connection that the Kindle does, so you download to your PC and then sync your reader with your PC, you can create files and reading lists etc. The Sony also takes a SD card up to 8 GB. I have about 77 books unread on my reader and another 80 or so on my SD Card . Once your books are loaded up, you're free to roam anywhere. The battery life of both the Kindle and the Sony is incredible, both have three sizes of print. I find I read on Medium most of the time, but switch to large print late at night.

Yes...Vancouver...got snow?

CJ, thanks so much for taking the time to share all the details. I love that the Sony Reader works like an Ipod. It needs a sexier name, though. ;)

I think I'll start checking them out this week. I'm pretty sure DH will love it.

One thought...have you ever fallen asleep holding your book. How shock-resistant are they? :p

Archived