Kindle Count

Pat.bz

A heads up to any closet Harlequin readers. The Sony EBook site has 16 Harlequins that can be downloaded for free...link is on the Home Page. I heard that Kindle would also be giving them away free for the month of February but can't see them on the site yet, keep an eye out.

I don't know the last time I have enjoyed a thread as much as I am enjoying this one.:)

Yesterday I was in the Sony store looking at the two versions, and I am pretty sure I like the 'older' version better.

I pulled my books together last night that I have been saving for a chance to read and will do so in March on Solstice, and that is a pretty bulky pile.:o

I don't know the last time I have enjoyed a thread as much as I am enjoying this one.:)

Yesterday I was in the Sony store looking at the two versions, and I am pretty sure I like the 'older' version better.

I pulled my books together last night that I have been saving for a chance to read and will do so in March on Solstice, and that is a pretty bulky pile.:o

Is that the 505? That's the one I have, I wasn't tempted to move up to the 700 even though I think Touch Screen is kind of cool.

Is that the 505? That's the one I have, I wasn't tempted to move up to the 700 even though I think Touch Screen is kind of cool.

Must be...the silver, the black or the red. I have a red phone, so I know what I would do.;)

The 'reading light' was not so good I didn't think on the 700, and it weighed more was thicker and was less sexy. They are giving over a hundred dollars in books as an incentive at $399, and while it has pictures, they would be in black and while I presume. The touch screen for navigation from book, to photo to music worked nicely, but I have all that elsewhere and can get a mini computer for that cost with so much more. I think it misses.

I really liked the 'red' one though.:D

Just added the sd memory card to mine and enjoying the mp3 feature. The only complaint I have is I am left handed and when I hold it without the cover I tend to hit the page change buttons, but I do love it and used it everyday on my recent RCL cruise.

I'm so happy to see another lefthander with the same problem. Life is harder for us guys you know. ;) I do the same thing with my Kindle but other than that, I love, love, love it. I read a lot and take it with me anytime I have an appointment where I have to wait. It will for sure be coming with me on my next Celebrity cruise. :D

I'm so happy to see another lefthander with the same problem. Life is harder for us guys you know. ;) I do the same thing with my Kindle but other than that, I love, love, love it. I read a lot and take it with me anytime I have an appointment where I have to wait. It will for sure be coming with me on my next Celebrity cruise. :D

If the photos of the kindle 2 are accurate, the new version has smaller page buttons and accidental clicks should be a thing of the past.

Must be...the silver, the black or the red. I have a red phone, so I know what I would do.;)

The 'reading light' was not so good I didn't think on the 700, and it weighed more was thicker and was less sexy. They are giving over a hundred dollars in books as an incentive at $399, and while it has pictures, they would be in black and while I presume. The touch screen for navigation from book, to photo to music worked nicely, but I have all that elsewhere and can get a mini computer for that cost with so much more. I think it misses.

I really liked the 'red' one though.:D

Okay color aside, from what I understand, the Sony ebook does not have internet access right?

I really enjoy reading my email free of charge compared to my cell phone while I am out and about, or even check Cruise Critic and other forums I am a member of!!:)

Okay color aside, from what I understand, the Sony ebook does not have internet access right?

I really enjoy reading my email free of charge compared to my cell phone while I am out and about, or even check Cruise Critic and other forums I am a member of!!:)

I am not an owner, others here can speak with much more authority and experience but as far as I can tell I do know the Sony is not wireless; the Kindle as we know it does not provide internet search engines. These are limited use items in that regard.

I am not an owner, others here can speak with much more authority and experience but as far as I can tell I do know the Sony is not wireless; the Kindle as we know it does not provide internet search engines. These are limited use items in that regard.

Yes Kindle does utilize search engines!!!!:confused:

Yours must be defective, I would call them and report it or send it back.:eek:

It is under Kindle NowNow.

well, I ordered my Kindle. But, unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will ship until AFTER I am on my cruise. :( I'm going to have to go old-school on my 3/1 Solstice sailing! Maybe my Kindle will be waiting for me when I return. I can't wait to try it out.

If you are a avid reader you will love it!!1:)

Yes Kindle does utilize search engines!!!!:confused:

Yours must be defective, I would call them and report it or send it back.:eek:

It is under Kindle NowNow.

I am certain I am not making myself clear, I do not own either a Kindle or a Sony, I am researching and part of my research has been included as information on this thread.

I am quite unaware that Kindle can be used to surf the net similar to a blackberry, phone or computer device can unless I misunderstood that is what you are doing with yours.

I use a blackberry so I am covered with email and net searches, some photos etc., I use my ipod, small and compact for mostly music, otherwise I don't really have any interest in the iPhone to combine it all. I have a separate razr cell phone that fits nicely in a small wristlet and I don't use or carry anything else at all when I run around. I can't see myself in my gym with anything other than my ipod for example and my phone in my locker.

I can use the computers at the gym to sign on to Cruise Critic if I want to, but sometimes there can be too much of a good thing.:D

I am certain I am not making myself clear, I do not own either a Kindle or a Sony, I am researching and part of my research has been included as information on this thread.

I am quite unaware that Kindle can be used to surf the net similar to a blackberry, phone or computer device can unless I misunderstood that is what you are doing with yours.

I use a blackberry so I am covered with email and net searches, some photos etc., I use my ipod, small and compact for mostly music, otherwise I don't really have any interest in the iPhone to combine it all. I have a separate razr cell phone that fits nicely in a small wristlet and I don't use or carry anything else at all when I run around. I can't see myself in my gym with anything other than my ipod for example and my phone in my locker.

I can use the computers at the gym to sign on to Cruise Critic if I want to, but sometimes there can be too much of a good thing.:D

LOL well the Kindle is not to replace a computer. That is why we have laptops. :D

I agree with you, Finely Cruising. This has been a very informative, nice thread. Thanks, everyone

I agree with you, Finely Cruising. This has been a very informative, nice thread. Thanks, everyone

I agree and especially after seeing one on a plane the other day. I spoke to the kids and I think we are all going to chip in and buy the wife one for Mother's Day. She loves to read while traveling. Last week she forgot her light and was reading in the car at night to the light from the GPS. Hopefully by Mother's Day we will be able to get the new one..I know it is coming out on the 9th. of this month...

I agree and especially after seeing one on a plane the other day. I spoke to the kids and I think we are all going to chip in and buy the wife one for Mother's Day. She loves to read while traveling. Last week she forgot her light and was reading in the car at night to the light from the GPS. Hopefully by Mother's Day we will be able to get the new one..I know it is coming out on the 9th. of this month...

Tell the kids not to wait TOO long. I think they are only announcing it on Feb 9th. They won't be shipping until March. And with all of the backorder of people who have been placing their orders since they ran out, PLUS the rush of people who have been saying they will wait to order for V2 to come out...no idea how quickly they might sell out. But, given kindle's track record for selling out, I would imagine it is bound to again.

I am happy with my kindle and dont plan on getting a K2, but bet lots of people will be putting old kindles on ebay. which buying any equipment used I know is a crap shoot. But if I didnt have one now I would buy a used one. Just a thought

Tell the kids not to wait TOO long. I think they are only announcing it on Feb 9th. They won't be shipping until March. And with all of the backorder of people who have been placing their orders since they ran out, PLUS the rush of people who have been saying they will wait to order for V2 to come out...no idea how quickly they might sell out. But, given kindle's track record for selling out, I would imagine it is bound to again.

Thanks Darren, I'll keep an eye on things, see how they shake out....

We had our Kindle on our b2b cruises last week, and also got a lot of attention, often from the crew. They are fabulous for travel- we have one now, and I am hoping to get another soon so we don't have to share.

A friend had the Sony e-reader when it first came out, and had nothing but trouble with it. He replaced it with a Kindle, and said that the difference is amazing. I'm not sure why a Kindle wouldn't work in Canada- everything is purchased either on Amazon or directly from the Kindle.

Anyway, they are the best for traveling!

We had our Kindle on our b2b cruises last week, and also got a lot of attention, often from the crew. They are fabulous for travel- we have one now, and I am hoping to get another soon so we don't have to share.

A friend had the Sony e-reader when it first came out, and had nothing but trouble with it. He replaced it with a Kindle, and said that the difference is amazing. I'm not sure why a Kindle wouldn't work in Canada- everything is purchased either on Amazon or directly from the Kindle.

Anyway, they are the best for traveling!

The Kindle would work in Canada, you just couldn't download anything using the wireless option. Kindle uses the Sprint Network, we don't have Sprint in Canada. And to buy a Kindle on Amazon.Com, you need a US credit card and ship to a US address.

Keep in mind that the Sony is now on it's 3rd generation so lots of improvements over the first one that came out.

My boss has one and loves it, and keeps telling me to get one. Question: can you easily read it outside in the sun? I know from experience trying to use a laptop outside is about useless, and I worried about this same issue with the Kindle. Any beach/pool readers?

My boss has one and loves it' date=' and keeps telling me to get one. Question: can you easily read it outside in the sun? I know from experience trying to use a laptop outside is about useless, and I worried about this same issue with the Kindle. Any beach/pool readers?[/quote']

Outdoors is actually the best way to read from a Kindle. Let me say again, reading from a Kindle is like reading a paperback book so if you can read the paperback in the sun so you can read from the Kindle. When reading a paperback in the dark you need a light so you can with a Kindle though with a Kindle and when using a booklight I have to position it just so to avoid glare.

Just got my Kindle last week and think it will be excellent for travel.

However, for those of you who are considering buying a Kindle, you need to be aware that Amazon still has plenty of room for improvement in regards to availability of titles for the Kindle.

The first three books I wanted were not available as Kindle titiles, so I had to buy regular books. I was not happy about that at all.

I would imagine as time goes on and the Kindle becomes more popular, more publishers will make Kindle versions of their books.

Joe

The Kindle:

Product Overview

• Revolutionary electronic-paper display provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper.
  • Simple to use: no computer, no cables, no syncing.
  • Wireless connectivity enables you to shop the Kindle Store directly from your Kindle—whether you’re in the back of a taxi, at the airport, or in bed.
  • Buy a book and it is auto-delivered wirelessly in less than one minute.
  • More than 230,000 books available, including more than 105 of 112 current New York Times® Best Sellers.
  • New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
  • Free book samples. Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy.
  • Top U.S. newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post; top magazines including TIME, Atlantic Monthly, and Forbes—all auto-delivered wirelessly.
  • Top international newspapers from France, Germany, and Ireland; Le Monde, Frankfurter Allgemeine, and The Irish Times—all auto-delivered wirelessly.
  • More than 1100 top blogs from the worlds of business, technology, sports, entertainment, and politics, including BoingBoing, Slashdot, TechCrunch, ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Onion, Michelle Malkin, and The Huffington Post—all updated wirelessly throughout the day.
  • Lighter and thinner than a typical paperback; weighs only 10.3 ounces.
  • Holds over 200 titles.
  • Long battery life. Leave wireless on and recharge approximately every other day. Turn wireless off and read for a week or more before recharging. Fully recharges in 2 hours.
  • Unlike WiFi, Kindle utilizes the same high-speed data network (EVDO) as advanced cell phones—so you never have to locate a hotspot.
  • No monthly wireless bills, service plans, or commitments—we take care of the wireless delivery so you can simply click, buy, and read.
  • Includes free wireless access to the planet's most exhaustive and up-to-date encyclopedia—Wikipedia.org.
  • Email your Word documents and pictures (.JPG, .GIF, .BMP, .PNG) to Kindle for easy on-the-go viewing.
  • Included in the box: Kindle wireless reader, Book cover, Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable

DH and I just returned from a b2b from Rome to San Juan and we each had our Kindles (loaded with 40 or so books each). On 2 cruises on the Galaxy we only saw one other Kindle--which surprised me. We got a lot of attention with them (especially from crew members). We are going b2b2b starting in March and we are wondering if we'll start seeing more Kindles. Is anyone using or buying one or is everyone just using them in their cabins rather than on deck?

My husband and I both have them. They are awesome for travel!

Archived