Kindle Count

Pat.bz

I have been looking at the Kindle since it first came out. The new Kindle 2 seems to have corrected many of the things that folks complained about on the original Kindle so I ordered mind yesterday. Delivery date is

February 26th, and I can't wait!!

My husband and I are avid readers on cruises and in the past have taken a bag with nothing in it but but books. I just have to convince him that he should have a Kindle, too!

For the battery, I ordered an extra from Amazon; they don't have to change it; I just change it out, and carry it fully charged as a spare for LOOOONG flight days....

On the Kindle 2? I thought the battery is not removable on this one. If you have the Kindle 1 then it's moot as they're not available anymore unless used.

I have been looking at the Kindle since it first came out. The new Kindle 2 seems to have corrected many of the things that folks complained about on the original Kindle so I ordered mind yesterday.

Not really, they only made the buttons smaller and the unit thinner and gave you extra memory, which are good features but...can't believe they'd release this one without the ability to make folders and organize your books. They took away the SD card, took away the user's ability to replace the battery and charge you an extra $30 for a case :eek: A lot of people on the kindle forums are upset.

Junkie-

What forums are you referring to?

Would love to read them....

Not having had a Kindle 1.0, I am hoping that I wont be disappointed...

I don't think you'll be disappointed, ereaders are amazing!! Amazon has a forum for kindle users, takes a bit of digging to get into, if you click on their add for the kindle on the link work Kindle, down the bottom of the page you can get into their forums. There's also Mobileread.com which I really like as they're ereader users from around the globe not just Amazon.

I'm not sure the lack of a removable battery or an SD card slot is a loss since the battery life (without wi-fi) is two weeks and the memory has been increased to a user-usable 1.4GB. In addition, the books you purchase are backed up by Amazon so they can be deleted from the Kindle when you are through with them and then re-downloaded at no cost if you want them back on the Kindle.

Some of the new Kindle improvements that I like are the larger memory, the thinner size, and the new "bars" for turning pages.

I'm not sure the lack of a removable battery or an SD card slot is a loss since the battery life (without wi-fi) is two weeks and the memory has been increased to a user-usable 1.4GB. In addition, the books you purchase are backed up by Amazon so they can be deleted from the Kindle when you are through with them and then re-downloaded at no cost if you want them back on the Kindle.

Some of the new Kindle improvements that I like are the larger memory, the thinner size, and the new "bars" for turning pages.

Having a back up at Amazon only helps those that buy their books from Amazon :) It's not the battery life between charging, it apparently only last 1 - 2 years before needing to be replaced. On the Kindle 1 you could order it from Amazon and replace it yourself, now you have to send your unit to Amazon. Fed Ex I would assume and pay $59 for the service. I wouldn't be putting my reader in the mail ;)

DH and I just returned from a b2b from Rome to San Juan and we each had our Kindles (loaded with 40 or so books each). On 2 cruises on the Galaxy we only saw one other Kindle--which surprised me. We got a lot of attention with them (especially from crew members). We are going b2b2b starting in March and we are wondering if we'll start seeing more Kindles. Is anyone using or buying one or is everyone just using them in their cabins rather than on deck?

Hi,

Just a question for all the users out therregarding Kindle & Kindle#2. Is there anywhere I can actually see & use/demo a Kindle? The SONY E-Reader has a flicker and focus when pages are turned. Does the Kindle also have this "problem"? How easy is it to downlaod book?

Thanks

Carole

Hi,

Just a question for all the users out therregarding Kindle & Kindle#2. Is there anywhere I can actually see & use/demo a Kindle? The SONY E-Reader has a flicker and focus when pages are turned. Does the Kindle also have this "problem"? How easy is it to downlaod book?

Thanks

Carole

I think you might have seen a bad Sony, the only time mine flickers and focuses is when I'm looking at JPGs..I have about 10 pictures on my Sony of the kids etc. It's never done it with a book. The Sony and the Kindle are both pretty clear (or supposed to be) when turning the page.

I think you might have seen a bad Sony, the only time mine flickers and focuses is when I'm looking at JPGs..I have about 10 pictures on my Sony of the kids etc. It's never done it with a book. The Sony and the Kindle are both pretty clear (or supposed to be) when turning the page.

I was also surprised. It was demo'ed @ the SONY Store for me. Interesting hih?

Carole

I was also surprised. It was demo'ed @ the SONY Store for me. Interesting hih?

Carole

Might have been a crappy one that someone returned, which is pretty stupid if it's not working right. I knew exactly what you meant as it drives me nuts on pictures, but it's never done it on print and I've read about 50 books on my Sony so far.

:D Yea!!! I got the same message! Mine is coming early too! After reading about all of you loving it, I couldn't help myself and had to order. I had been looking at it for about a year, but when the Kindle2 came out it made the decision for me.

I note from reading the Kindle 2 manual that came with my shipping notice, that the Kindle 2 can access the Internet. Two questions ... was the original Kindle able to do this? And, since the Kindle 2 uses RF, would this bypass the satellite internet connection on the ships? Any thoughts?

I note from reading the Kindle 2 manual that came with my shipping notice, that the Kindle 2 can access the Internet. Two questions ... was the original Kindle able to do this? And, since the Kindle 2 uses RF, would this bypass the satellite internet connection on the ships? Any thoughts?

Yes the kindle 1 is able to access the internet, you can only connect to the internet if you are in the United States, period, I hope this changes in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been researching the Kindle and am considering requesting it for my bday later this month. ;) I haven't been able to determine if it is backlit or has a light for reading in the dark. Can someone tell me if it does or how you read in darkened rooms - looking at using it on the balcony on Solstice and on the plane. Thanks

I have been researching the Kindle and am considering requesting it for my bday later this month. ;) I haven't been able to determine if it is backlit or has a light for reading in the dark. Can someone tell me if it does or how you read in darkened rooms - looking at using it on the balcony on Solstice and on the plane. Thanks

Wife just got one, there is no backlight which surprises me. They do have a light you can purchase which apparently plugs into the Kindle. Wife loves the Kindle, she was sitting at the pool on a ship last week and at the beach and used it a lot...This is the Kindle 2.

It's impossible to backlight an e-link screen, you wouldn't be able to read it. But in time they'll probably come up with something similair to the Sony's light. It's a screen that's lite and lays across the page.

Archived