Kindle Count

Pat.bz

Yes...Vancouver...got snow?

CJ, thanks so much for taking the time to share all the details. I love that the Sony Reader works like an Ipod. It needs a sexier name, though. ;)

I think I'll start checking them out this week. I'm pretty sure DH will love it.

One thought...have you ever fallen asleep holding your book. How shock-resistant are they? :p

So sick of snow...even Amy Winehouse doesn't need this much white powder ;) Did you know the Kindle got it's name because Amazon said you can now start burning your books? :eek:

I have dropped mine, but on carpet, it was fine, my friend dropped hers on a slate floor last week and it wouldn't turn on. She recharged it and it was fine.

There have been a couple of other electronic reader threads on Cruise Critic which I read completely before I bought the Kindle. I also checked on Google all the criticisms of the Sony and the Kindle. The decision to buy the Kindle was made by me because of the number of books available on Kindle vs Sony at least for right now. I was concerned about the the page turner buttons on the Kindle after reading all the comments on Amazon.com. That is one of the reasons I bought the M edge cover, which for me, made it easier to avoid those buttons.

I also had read whatever I could find about the next generation Kindle. The problem was that I wanted the electronic reader for a December cruise. If the new one turns out to be a much better design, I will wait awhile to make sure all the bugs are found, and maybe sell mine on ebay. I like my original one so much that I doubt it would be worth it for me to do this.

My advice to anyone thinking of purchasing an electronic reader is to spend time researching what would be the best fit for your needs. Is it possible to change the print size on the Sony?

This thread has been very interesting.:)

I love my Kindle and would see no reason to upgrade it unless it would die. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. I haven't seen any info on the new release so I don't know what the 'new' bells and whistles are supposed to be on it. I've seen the Sony's demo'd and I liked the feel of the Kindle's better.

Diane

Just to correct Cruise Junky the Kindle has 6 different font sizes. (Although the smaller ones are really small like a little paperback - I bought mine for my tired eyes which need the larger ones.) I really like the wireless connection and while I don't very often need to order a book,say, in an airport recently my book club was talking about a book and I ordered the free sample of it while we we sitting there so we could see what it was like. Again not something that is absolutely necessary but a nice feature. It was so nice on our recent cruise to have a choice of books in that one small package. BTW I have an M-edge cover also and I really like it.

The decision to buy the Kindle was made by me because of the number of books available on Kindle vs Sony at least for right now.

I don't want to argue with you as you obviously did your homework on what would work best for you. But for anyone on the fence, you have to look at what Amazon includes in their book count.... all of the magazines and all of the newspapers. Also they include multiple formats of the same e:book. Someone posted earlier that the prices were cheaper on Amazon, I went to check the latest two books that I'd downloaded last week, The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry and Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain and neither were available for the Kindle on Amazon. Also there are more formats that the Sony will read. If you only shop on the Amazon site, that won't effect you, but there's tons of e:book seller sites out there.

EDIT: I did just check and the Venetian Betrayal is now available on the Kindle, it wasn't as of Friday last week.

From Amazon FAQ

Can I use Kindle on an airplane?

If you have your wireless service turned off, you can use your Kindle for reading once a crew member has said it is okay to use electronic devices. The wireless feature on Kindle should be turned off using the switch on the back to prevent possible interference with aircraft systems. U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations require you to have permission from a crew member to use your device's wireless service while the plane is on the ground.

Thank you for the article, Cruise Junky. I agree with them that the price is so high, that it will keep it from becoming popular in the mass market, especially these days. I don't use mine for newspapers because I use my computer for that. I also wouldn't order a magazine. I strictly use mine for reading books so my battery lasts a long time. The only time I turn on the wireless part is if I'm ordering a book. The entire time on our Australian cruise, I only charged it twice despite all the books I read. The second charge was to keep the battery strong during our 7 hour layover in LA.

It's good that there are choices. Hopefully, it will keep the price down.

Kindle will not work outside the United States at this time.

I downloaded a bunch of books before I left on my transatlantic from Spain to Ft. Lauderdale.

I checked several times while crossing, but no service until we were very close to Ft. Lauderdale.

I understand you can't use the cellular G3 broadband access outside the US, but can't you just download what you need off the internet and transfer to the kindle by USB?

You actually have to switch the whole device off during taking and landing, it's an electronic device, just like an IPOD.

No it is a battery powered device which does not have to be switched off.

But you cannot use the internet, as it uses signals like a cell phone which may interfere with communications of the plane.

If battery powered devices where to be turned off, a lot of people with pace makers would be in a lot of trouble.:rolleyes:

I suspect if people are asked to turn it off, it would be because the steward, or stewards, are afraid people would not know the difference, between battery powdered and communications signals.

Actually, technically you're both wrong. :)

The Kindle uses E-ink technology. once a page is loaded it electrically charges the particles to 'stick' to the screen and will stay there forever, even if you take the battery out!

when you "turn" the page, it will power on temporarily to 'display' the next page and will then power down.

As long as you can get to Amazon.com from anyplace in the world you can have your daily updates papers, blogs, etc.) as well as purchasing books.. During our recent 42 day quest cruise from Athens to Hong Kong my kindle maore than paid for itself.

The Kindle uses E-ink technology. once a page is loaded it electrically charges the particles to 'stick' to the screen and will stay there forever, even if you take the battery out!

when you "turn" the page, it will power on temporarily to 'display' the next page and will then power down.

You are right, the Sony is the same way, it's never actually "off" but there is an On/Off switch so to make everyone on the plane happy campers it should be in the Off mode upon takeoff and landing.

I understand you can't use the cellular G3 broadband access outside the US, but can't you just download what you need off the internet and transfer to the kindle by USB?

You can do that if you can access a USB port at sea. So if you take your laptop, then yes.

you'll all be happy to know, the next generation Kindle is expect to be released Feb 9th. here are some pictures of the new unit:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/gallery/devices/amazon-kindle-2/

Just be aware that might not be what it looks like, Amazon won't even confirm there's going to be a Kindle 2 and those are leaked pictures that started showing up on the internet, Amazon did not release them.

Just be aware that might not be what it looks like, Amazon won't even confirm there's going to be a Kindle 2 and those are leaked pictures that started showing up on the internet, Amazon did not release them.

considering those pictures were taken in November and the release is in 1 week I would imagine the look would be very similar. it's hard to do a complete redesign in 3 months.

I've seen other pictures from more recent that look similar (except headphone jack was on bottom, not top), but I posted the pics above as there were more of them.

Also, I'm fairly sure the kindle 2 will be released on the 9th after reading various reports, also the "ships in ... weeks" notice on amazon keeps getting closer, now showing 3 weeks.

I was just on a flight Friday from Florida and the gentleman next to me had a kindle. He was asked by the flight crew to turn it off at the appropriate times. Any comparison to a hearing aid or pacemaker is just silly....

Archived