Kindle Count

Pat.bz

DH and I just returned from a b2b from Rome to San Juan and we each had our Kindles (loaded with 40 or so books each). On 2 cruises on the Galaxy we only saw one other Kindle--which surprised me. We got a lot of attention with them (especially from crew members). We are going b2b2b starting in March and we are wondering if we'll start seeing more Kindles. Is anyone using or buying one or is everyone just using them in their cabins rather than on deck?

DH and I just returned from a b2b from Rome to San Juan and we each had our Kindles (loaded with 40 or so books each). On 2 cruises on the Galaxy we only saw one other Kindle--which surprised me. We got a lot of attention with them (especially from crew members). We are going b2b2b starting in March and we are wondering if we'll start seeing more Kindles. Is anyone using or buying one or is everyone just using them in their cabins rather than on deck?

Oh you are making me green with envy! When I heard about them I couldn't wait to buy one. But guess what? They are not available in canada and if you managed to buy one in the US, you couldn't purchase any products from Canada to use it with. They are so ideal for travel!

I would just like one for books that I want to read but don't want to occupy shelf space.

Okay, I'll bite... what the heck is a 'kindle?'

Kindle is an electronic book (reader) into which you can download books. Its put out by Amazon.com. I saw several on my recent cruise on the Solstice. They look great and I am holding out for version 2.0 whenever that might come out.

Kindle is an electronic book (reader) into which you can download books. Its put out by Amazon.com. I saw several on my recent cruise on the Solstice. They look great and I am holding out for version 2.0 whenever that might come out.

Oh! Sony makes one, yes? The E-Book. I was looking at them for Christmas this year on Amazon. Thanks!!!

It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to charge and if you turn off the wi-fi (doesn't work at sea anyway) the battery lasts several days. The cost is still $350 but the books are usually $9 or less; and since DH and I each have one bought on same Amazon account, we share all the same books (can even read them at same time). We bought portable DVD cases for them and carried them everywhere on the ship--they were safe and padded and a shoulder strap made them harder to forget.

Love mine! I will be using it on a cruise next weekend for the first time and then taking it with us on a 16 day cruise in March to Hawaii. I've already loaded about 12 books on it, including the Bible to keep up with my daily reading. Wonder if it will work in the Pacific to upload newspapers? Prob, not but that is okay.

Oh you are making me green with envy! When I heard about them I couldn't wait to buy one. But guess what? They are not available in canada and if you managed to buy one in the US, you couldn't purchase any products from Canada to use it with. They are so ideal for travel!

I would just like one for books that I want to read but don't want to occupy shelf space.

Buy the Sony Reader, IMHO it's better and cheaper than the Kindle and works in Canada!!!

My mother got one for Christmas and she hasn't even used it yet. It is sitting on a shelf at her house and its killing me - I want one! I think once she learns to shop for books online she'll be fine but she has never purchased books online, she is used to shopping for them in person and I guess it is a different experience. I'm sure once she heads out on her next trip, she wonder how she ever lived without it.

Personally, I'm holding out for the next upgrade. I can't wait to get one.

I love my kindle and I love having it in my purse whenever I want to read. I still keep a regular book by my bed for reading before I go to sleep. When I was looking for a kindle, Amazon had a waiting list and ebay had some rather ambitious prices. I got lucky and found a used one on ebay that included several best sellers that I hadn't read and a fancy upgraded leather case with a little book light in it. I was able to get it for right at $300 so I think I did pretty well. I'm really looking forward to having this with me for my TA in November. I've always hauled books along, but with this, I won't have to worry about their weight anymore. Great little invention. Kindle or Sony, it's a great way to buy/read books!

BTW, I've tried audio books on my ipod, but I can't figure out how to bookmark a spot. That means I have to listen to the whole thing at once or replay it. Does anyone know if there's a way to get back to where you stopped listening on an ipod? Just curious.

My husband loves his Kindle. It went on our Arctic Circle cruise last summer, and will be going on the Galaxy in March. In addition to using it at home, he takes it, along with a book rack, to our local fitness center to read while on eliptical trainer & treadmill (if not running).

He plans to buy one for me as a birthday gift, so I can have one on our October 17-night Panama Canal cruise that has around 8 sea days.

Our newest toy is the Dell Mini 9 laptop that weighs a little over 2 lbs. It is also going on the Galaxy in March (last Galaxy cruise with X).

When is the next Kindle version expected to come out?

Kathy

and we each had our Kindles (loaded with 40 or so books each). On 2 cruises on the Galaxy we only saw one other Kindle--which surprised me.

No Kindle, but my wife and I listen to audiobooks on our iPods.

I prefer audiobooks since I don't have to hold anything, I can slip the iPod in my pocket and continue listening. I listen to audiobooks on my daily commute, at the gym -- on cruises -- everywhere.

audible.com has over 50,000 audiobooks and three different subscription plans that make purchasing the audiobooks more affordable. It's a great deal.

Every trip I've taken my Kindle on, I end up getting tons of questions about it (I don't mind; I LOVE my Kindle; the more people the merrier who have them). The more I've learned about it as I use it, the more I love it!:D

I love my Kindle and read it all over the ship. It's especially great for long flights.

The battery is good for more than 7000 page turns as long as you have the wifi turned off. I now have 43 books downloaded on the Kindle.

If you're in the market for an electronic book, check out ebookwise.com. I bought it for Christmas a couple of years ago, and my wife "won't leave home without it." It's inexpensive, you can download numerous books at $5-6, with some classics for free, has an online bookshelf to store books you paid for and want to retrieve later, and you don't need a night light.

Archived