Kindle Count

Pat.bz

DH bought me a kindle for Christmas and so far I love it!! The one part of I love is being able to change the font size. Late at night my eyes are tired, contacts are drier than usual, I just increase the font size and am able to easliy read! Love Kindle! :D

Ahhh, fellow Kindle lovers unite!!!!:D My Mom got one for Christmas, and I got her to register it on my account, as we love a lot of the same types of books; cuts the overall pricing in half; so cool!!!

No it is a battery powered device which does not have to be switched off.

But you cannot use the internet, as it uses signals like a cell phone which may interfere with communications of the plane.

If battery powered devices where to be turned off, a lot of people with pace makers would be in a lot of trouble.:rolleyes:

I suspect if people are asked to turn it off, it would be because the steward, or stewards, are afraid people would not know the difference, between battery powdered and communications signals.

The reason you have to switch stuff off on takeoff and landing is that devices have computers in them and the computers generate RF that has the potential of interfering w aircraft instruments. Underline "potential" as actual interference is highly unlikely.

Since the Kindle does have an internal computer, it is no different from a MP3 player or a DVD player and has to be switched off.

One other point re the Kindle. It would be wonderful if there were lots of travel books available for the device and if it would show maps. Imagine that you could take travel books of all the places that you will be visiting instead of having to buy paper copies and ripping out pages. When that happens, I buy one in an instant.

DON

I have looked into buying a Kindle and think the concept is wonderful but I have a couple of questions.

Once you buy, do you have to purchase some kind of service? i.e., like on your cell phone - in order to use a cell phone for internet or texting, you have to purchase that particular service as an 'add on' to their bill. Or do you buy the Kindle (or EBook) and pay as you go - for each book that you download. DH wanted to buy me one and I thought the price a little too high (I am a voracious reader - my dream job would be if someone would pay me to read!) - I can buy A LOT of books (I buy used) for $350.

Any info you can tell me would be greatly appreciated - off on ROS in 2 weeks (NZ/Oz) and would love to have one! I take 10-12 books per cruise and always go through all of them and with limited weight allowance for flights...........seems like this would be a great thing to have!

TIA! Cindiedee

I have looked into buying a Kindle and think the concept is wonderful but I have a couple of questions.

Once you buy, do you have to purchase some kind of service? i.e., like on your cell phone - in order to use a cell phone for internet or texting, you have to purchase that particular service as an 'add on' to their bill. Or do you buy the Kindle (or EBook) and pay as you go - for each book that you download. DH wanted to buy me one and I thought the price a little too high (I am a voracious reader - my dream job would be if someone would pay me to read!) - I can buy A LOT of books (I buy used) for $350.

Any info you can tell me would be greatly appreciated - off on ROS in 2 weeks (NZ/Oz) and would love to have one! I take 10-12 books per cruise and always go through all of them and with limited weight allowance for flights...........seems like this would be a great thing to have!

TIA! Cindiedee

Once you buy, the books are pay-as you-go, no "plan". It totally ROCKS for me!:)

TIA! Cindiedee

No you don't have to purchase any additional programing, to download the books.

You can buy books anywhere from a dollar up to 9.99 for the new bestsellers out in hardback.

There are sites that have classics for free.

Save a forest.:)

I usually buy my kindle selections online and they're delivered when I turn it on. I just bought a Venice guide from amazon. . .I'm going to have to go see what I bought for 80 cents!:eek: They have other travel guides that are more money, but I think conventional guides with good color maps will be my first choice.

I usually buy my kindle selections online and they're delivered when I turn it on. I just bought a Venice guide from amazon. . .I'm going to have to go see what I bought for 80 cents!:eek: They have other travel guides that are more money, but I think conventional guides with good color maps will be my first choice.

So is there color? I asked before and understood from a poster it was black and white. I wondered because of the magazine downloads. :confused:

I went to the Amazon site earlier today and read this could be accomplished while in the airport. Oprah would not be my end all authority for too much any more than Dr Phil....:o When they tell me to turn off all electronic devices, if I owned a Kindle it would be off.

So how come no color? Seems like it should have color.

Well my kindle won't be, the internet will be turned off, but not my book, I guess people will just have to hope they don't fly with me.

But of course on 21 flights with my kindle a plane hasn't crashed yet.

I mean really do people turn off their hearing aids? Their pace makers?

Come on reading the kindle does not create any transmissions from the device to the ground, which is the problem with cell phones and laptops.

So how come no color? Seems like it should have color.

Because they're not making it in color yet. I suspect the next generation will be. I use mine just for books and one newspaper subscription so color doesn't make any difference to me. BTW, color chews up battery. In black & white, this battery lasts for about a week of reading. It doesn't have a backlit screen like your cell phone. If you want to read it in a dark place, you need a source of light. Mine came with a tiny little book light which fits in the spine of its cover. I probably won't need it - on a plane, I'd use the overhead light.

Because they're not making it in color yet. I suspect the next generation will be. I use mine just for books and one newspaper subscription so color doesn't make any difference to me. BTW, color chews up battery. In black & white, this battery lasts for about a week of reading. It doesn't have a backlit screen like your cell phone. If you want to read it in a dark place, you need a source of light. Mine came with a tiny little book light which fits in the spine of its cover. I probably won't need it - on a plane, I'd use the overhead light.

I like the idea it can be propped and not held with pages flapping. I think its a great piece of technology. I have considered it for myself, but have yet to pull the trigger. I am not sure I 'read enough' to justify it. Although when I am on a cruise I read plenty!

And then again, I do spend plenty of time here on these boards reading..;)

To me the pages in a book does not have color, it is easier on the eyes. One of the things I like no deforestation, and I don't have paperback and hardback books to store.

It is the easiest, most simple thing to use.

To who the library?

I find it a hassle to load up books and I can easily read one a day to haul them off.

I would rather save a tree, and use the kindle.:)

Yes to the Public Library, and to Friends and I also do leave them in the Library while on Board for those books that I bring. I know there are planty of people who look for a good read while on board, and I have to say that I have enjoyed a few moments of good gab discussing a title I have in hand.

Books go back to the earth, I have no worries about that.;)

Yes to the Public Library, and to Friends and I also do leave them in the Library while on Board for those books that I bring. I know there are planty of people who look for a good read while on board, and I have to say that I have enjoyed a few moments of good gab discussing a title I have in hand.

Books go back to the earth, I have no worries about that.;)

"books go back to the earth"

What do you mean by that?

Can you describe how they go back "to the earth"?

Used toilet paper goes back to the earth, uranium goes back to the earth?

Every toxic chemical we use goes back to the earth .

Should I get a fuzzy feeling about that?

"books go back to the earth"

What do you mean by that?

Can you describe how they go back "to the earth"?

Used toilet paper goes back to the earth, uranium goes back to the earth?

Every toxic chemical we use goes back to the earth .

Should I get a fuzzy feeling about that?

Books go back to the earth just like toilet paper, you caught it right. How do you plan to do to dispose of your Kindle when it expires?

Come on reading the kindle does not create any transmissions from the device to the ground, which is the problem with cell phones and laptops.

The problem with any electronic device, on a plane, is the electromagnetic interference they produce. Your Kindle, my iPhone, a GPS or cell phone -- anything. "Transmissions from the device to the ground" doesn't have anything to do with it. If the device is powered, and contains electronics, it produces electromagnetic interference.

The confusing part is the airlines policy. Some only ban electronic devices during takeoff and landing. Some ban them during the entire flight.

Go ahead and use your Kindle, but be prepared for alert flight stewards -- they're trained to look for electronic devices. Once on a flight I waited until we were at cruising altitude and then turned on my handheld GPS device. About ten minutes later a flight steward saw it and asked me to turn it off and put it away, saying if it was still on next time she came down the aisle she would confiscate it. I put it away.

No Kindle, but my wife and I listen to audiobooks on our iPods.

I prefer audiobooks since I don't have to hold anything, I can slip the iPod in my pocket and continue listening. I listen to audiobooks on my daily commute, at the gym -- on cruises -- everywhere.

audible.com has over 50,000 audiobooks and three different subscription plans that make purchasing the audiobooks more affordable. It's a great deal.

Have you checked your local library for free downloads? We have hundreds of books available for free for downloading to MP-3 players, and the production company is now branching into IPod technology, so that selection is growing too. In our case, there's a 3-week loan period, and then the book is no longer accessible.

Kathy

Have you checked your local library for free downloads? We have hundreds of books available for free for downloading to MP-3 players, and the production company is now branching into IPod technology, so that selection is growing too. In our case, there's a 3-week loan period, and then the book is no longer accessible.

Last time I checked our libraries audiobooks were still using the Windows-only digital rights management. Glad to hear some libraries are starting to consider something that'll work on iPods (which hold more than 80% of the MP3 player market).

Archived