Kindle Count

Pat.bz

I absolutely love my kindle. I got it as an early Xmas present in October (we used the Oprah code for $50 off). One resource I always suggest to friends and new kindle owners is "The Kindle CookBook", it gives clear, easy to following instuctions on using all the features of your Kindle (many that are not explained well in the manual).

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Cookbook-Everything-Manual-Doesnt/dp/B001GIPJ2Y

The Kindle:

Product Overview

• Revolutionary electronic-paper display provides a sharp, high-resolution screen that looks and reads like real paper.
  • Simple to use: no computer, no cables, no syncing.
  • Wireless connectivity enables you to shop the Kindle Store directly from your Kindle—whether you’re in the back of a taxi, at the airport, or in bed.
  • Buy a book and it is auto-delivered wirelessly in less than one minute.
  • More than 230,000 books available, including more than 105 of 112 current New York Times® Best Sellers.
  • New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases $9.99, unless marked otherwise.
  • Free book samples. Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy.
  • Top U.S. newspapers including The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post; top magazines including TIME, Atlantic Monthly, and Forbes—all auto-delivered wirelessly.
  • Top international newspapers from France, Germany, and Ireland; Le Monde, Frankfurter Allgemeine, and The Irish Times—all auto-delivered wirelessly.
  • More than 1100 top blogs from the worlds of business, technology, sports, entertainment, and politics, including BoingBoing, Slashdot, TechCrunch, ESPN's Bill Simmons, The Onion, Michelle Malkin, and The Huffington Post—all updated wirelessly throughout the day.
  • Lighter and thinner than a typical paperback; weighs only 10.3 ounces.
  • Holds over 200 titles.
  • Long battery life. Leave wireless on and recharge approximately every other day. Turn wireless off and read for a week or more before recharging. Fully recharges in 2 hours.
  • Unlike WiFi, Kindle utilizes the same high-speed data network (EVDO) as advanced cell phones—so you never have to locate a hotspot.
  • No monthly wireless bills, service plans, or commitments—we take care of the wireless delivery so you can simply click, buy, and read.
  • Includes free wireless access to the planet's most exhaustive and up-to-date encyclopedia—Wikipedia.org.
  • Email your Word documents and pictures (.JPG, .GIF, .BMP, .PNG) to Kindle for easy on-the-go viewing.
  • Included in the box: Kindle wireless reader, Book cover, Power adapter, USB 2.0 cable

Amazon claims to list several million titles for sale on their site. The number available on Kindle at the moment (230,000) is far less than what they sell as regular books. This means that at best Kindle readable books represent 23% of their titles. Or, to put it another way, there is at least a 77% chance that the title you are looking for is not available on the Kindle reader.

No doubt Amazon will aggressively add more Kindle titles. However, they still have quite a ways to go. If your reading tastes don't match what's available on Kindle, you'll still be buying regular books.

Joe

Amazon claims to list several million titles for sale on their site. The number available on Kindle at the moment (230,000) is far less than what they sell as regular books. This means that at best Kindle readable books represent 23% of their titles. Or, to put it another way, there is at least a 77% chance that the title you are looking for is not available on the Kindle reader.

No doubt Amazon will aggressively add more Kindle titles. However, they still have quite a ways to go. If your reading tastes don't match what's available on Kindle, you'll still be buying regular books.

Joe

What are your reading tastes, (wondering how out of 230,000) someone can't find a book they like?:confused:

There is also a button on every book on Amazon, that if it isn't available, you can poke the button that says "I'd like this in a kindle version" or something like that. They forward those requests to the publishers. The assumption is that when a publishers sees a demand for kindle additions, they will put it on the site.

I've done that on several books.

There is also a button on every book on Amazon, that if it isn't available, you can poke the button that says "I'd like this in a kindle version" or something like that. They forward those requests to the publishers. The assumption is that when a publishers sees a demand for kindle additions, they will put it on the site.

I've done that on several books.

Also there are other sites you can download from, a lot of classics are free.:)

What are your reading tastes, (wondering how out of 230,000) someone can't find a book they like?:confused:

Trust me, I would like for the Kindle to every title I wish to read. I would like to have the convenience of the Kindle plus save money on each title I buy.

Here are three books that I bought last week as regular books because they were not available as Kindle titles. They are hardly esoteric subjects.

http://www.amazon.com/Wages-Destruction-Making-Breaking-Economy/dp/0143113208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233862952&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Economy-Economic-History-Florida/dp/0813032016/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233862386&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Book-Classic-Improving-School/dp/0345337581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233862995&sr=1-1

I seriously doubt I am the only one experiencing the limited selection on Kindle. Other posters have also alluded to this.

Like I stated before, Amazon will surely add many many more Kindle titles as time goes on. But to tout the Kindle selection as being comprehensive is not portraying an accurate picture.

Joe

Trust me, I would like for the Kindle to every title I wish to read. I would like to have the convenience of the Kindle plus save money on each title I buy.

Here are three books that I bought last week as regular books because they were not available as Kindle titles. They are hardly esoteric subjects.

http://www.amazon.com/Wages-Destruction-Making-Breaking-Economy/dp/0143113208/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233862952&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Economy-Economic-History-Florida/dp/0813032016/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233862386&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Memory-Book-Classic-Improving-School/dp/0345337581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233862995&sr=1-1

I seriously doubt I am the only one experiencing the limited selection on Kindle. Other posters have also alluded to this.

Like I stated before, Amazon will surely add many many more Kindle titles as time goes on. But to tout the Kindle selection as being comprehensive is not portraying an accurate picture.

Joe

Hi Joe,

My DH is having similar issues with Kindle but she is quite satisfied with their available books thus far. Prior to our last cruise, she had wanted to purchase two specific texts written by an author dealing with Irish slavery in Barbados in the 1800s. They did not have them but had others by the author which touched upon Barbados. She went to the library for the books she wanted and enjoyed other books on the Kindle during the cruise.

Barry

Kindle 2 just went on sale for pre-orders...

Can someone reinforce this for me...

if Ipurchase a few books here.. and then bring my Kindle to Europe, I can still read the books right? I just cant purchase NEW ones while away...

Also- How much is the web browser fee? I think it is free for ordering from Amazone, but there is a charge if you use it for other things??

Cant wait to get it.. hopefuly it will come by May...

if Ipurchase a few books here.. and then bring my Kindle to Europe, I can still read the books right? I just cant purchase NEW ones while away...

Also- How much is the web browser fee? I think it is free for ordering from Amazone, but there is a charge if you use it for other things??

Yes, you can read your books while you are in Europe - you just won't be able to use the whispernet (wireless) to download new books. Though if you have access to a PC, you can buy new books on the Amazon site and transfer them over manually with a USB cable, if you didn't download enough before you left.

The cost of the wireless connection is built into the purchase cost of the device/books. You don't pay to connect at all. That holds true for connecting to download books, or connecting to use the (very basic) web browser.

yea! Amazon has posted that if you had previously ordered a kindle and have not yet received, you will receive Kindle2. AND now it sounds like it will ship 2/24! Before, my order said 3/5 which is after my Solstice sales. I upgraded my shipping selection in hopes of getting it before I fly off to FLL on 2/27! Can't Wait!

I have to say I like the looks of the new one, kinda like an Ipod.

But I see no new features over my original one, so I will stick with it for now.

To those getting a new kindle for the first time, you will love it, I take mine wherever I go.

It is in my purse always ready for me. :)

WOW Kindle is amazing!!!!!

Earth's Biggest Electronic Book Selection: 230,000 Books

At Amazon, we've always been obsessed with having every book ever printed, and we know that even the best reading device would be useless without a massive selection of books. Today, the Kindle Store has more than 230,000 books available, plus top newspapers, magazines, and blogs. This is just the beginning. Our vision is to have every book ever printed, in any language, all available in under 60 seconds on Kindle. We won't stop until we get there.

Whether you prefer biographies, classics, investment guides, thrillers, or sci-fi, thousands of your favorite books are available, including 103 of 110 books currently found on the New York Times® Best Seller list. New York Times Best Sellers and most new releases are $9.99, and you'll find many books for less.

New article out today says some are upset with the talking feature, it may be illegal....

http://www.switched.com/2009/02/13/kindle-2-reads-books-aloud-perturbs-authors-guild/

A lot of the books you can buy actually have that feature turned off too. Plus why would anyone want a GPS voice reading to you? That would get old in about 60 seconds ;)

I understand the Kindle has a wireless download via Sprint (which is why it's only avail in the US right now)

My question is: can I download using a USB connect to my PC and then "sync" it to the Kindle like the Sony Reader?

I'm Canadian, can I purchase it while in the US, use the wireless download there and then use the USB connect once I'm back in Canada?

Thanks for your assistance.

I read the blog section on Amazon for Kindle owners. One of the things I would be concerned about with Kindle 2 is that you can't change the battery. You have to send it back to Amazon to have the battery change. People were complaining that the battery's life on a Kindle 1 is about 3 months if you use it a lot. I have owned my Kindle one for 3 months and so far the battery is fine and recharges in a timely manner. Maybe on Kindle 2 they put in a battery like the IPods have that last forever. Anyway, after reading the blogs and the problem with the battery, I ordered 2 replacement batteries for my Kindle 1, which are backordered, so when my battery dies I will have a replacement handy.

Another thing that people on those blogs were complaining about was that Amazon was charging $30 for that horrible black bookcover that came with the Kindle 1. My suggestion to people would be to order the MEdge cover which is a nicer cover and holds the Kindle in place better.

I am curious if anyone on this site knows about the battery issue.

I understand the Kindle has a wireless download via Sprint (which is why it's only avail in the US right now)

My question is: can I download using a USB connect to my PC and then "sync" it to the Kindle like the Sony Reader?

I'm Canadian, can I purchase it while in the US, use the wireless download there and then use the USB connect once I'm back in Canada?

Thanks for your assistance.

The Kindle needs to be shipped to a US address with a US Credit Card and books have to be purchased with a US Credit Card. If you have those, then yes, you could do the download like the Sony from Canada.

Archived