LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

How much time down from nj did it take to get warm?

We have only sailed from nyc during the spring/summer. I am, in a way, regretting sailing out of nj in the dead of winter.

I booked next years's winter cruise out of miami :)

Roughly around 200 miles Southeast of NYC, you will enter the Gulf Stream, where you have 67F Sea Surface Temps and 60F Air Temps. This is also about 180nm east of The North Carolina Coast which would be a 16 Hour Voyage once you departed from the NYC Metro area. The Temperature info is from realtime data Bouy info & latest NOAA Satelite Pass.

How much time down from nj did it take to get warm?

I think it depends each year. We left Feb. 15th last year and by Sun. afternoon we were at the pool in bathing suits. Coming back, it was still 80 and hot on Fri. coming back, Sat. much cooler, no pool. The captain said that was very unusual for Feb. We were lucky.

To me its simple math (and I guess it depends on how close to NYC you live):

Drive to Bayonne and be on a cruise ship with it cold outside or fly from Newark to a warm port?? I choose driving and the cold ship. I can have a good time on board just relaxing or having a drink or whatever. Flying to ports is a major pain in the butt and not worth it if it can be avoided. I'd rather be on my vacation right away, not have a day of work flying to my vacation.

For the record, we took the 12-night cruise back in Nov '07 and it got warm (70s) the 2nd day and was hot (80s+) the third day. I'm sure it took them (on the current cruise) a little longer to get to warm weather because it is colder right now and they had a slower ship (2 out of 3 propellers).

Thanks for the info.

The last time we sailed the explorer it was warm when we got off the plane..LOL I think overall, I'd rather have my vacation start on the plane.

Always good to try something different tho ;)

We arrived at Bayonne at 10AM, date 1-23-09. We dropped off luggage, parked car, checked in and was sitting having coffee and cookies and reading our books by 10:30AM. We preferred getting there early, rather then waiting in line to do all of the above. Good Luck.

Thanks. That is what we were thinking as well. Good to know it was easy going when you got there early.

Small world! My wife grew up in Merrick. Wonder if you know each other. I take it you don't live in Merrick now?

No, we live out east, in Westhampton.

You never know, once on vacation we ran into a girl I went to hs with.

I went to Kennedy. I'm 51. So it is always possible if she is near my age.

I think you spoke of taking your school age kids with you tho, so I guess you both are younger. My youngest is away at college.

and the class??? usually everyone particiaptes...last cruise (in nov) they didn't give out towels...just instructions, and they showed you! (the little things amuse me)

Meg,

Can you find out if you have time about classes in the gym (I never seemed to get a straight answer) Can you find out if the spinning bikes have the clips for spin shoes - I really like that class I take at the gym & would love to pack those also with all my other shoes.:D

Thanks so much!

Pat

it's called paradise gate and it is RIGHT at the pier...

www.paradisegate.net

classes in the gym...ok..i will check...(sheesh.....the gym....can't say i go there too much!)

it got warm yesterday.....2.5 days!

i am TRYING to load video of the divers getting the parts of the prop blades, but my FLIP is being weird....great...brand new...love it, and it flakes out!

there's about 6 pieces of prop...seems they are pulling them up one at a time......the captain didn't look happy...he was walking on the pier smoking...!

back to technical stuff......

Meg - thanks so much for all the info you've been posting - I've been 'lurking' since the beginning but thought it time to jump in and "thank you" since today there's been a few giving you a little unnecessary 'drama' today. I along w/the others thanking you really appreciate you taking time from YOUR vacation to post updates (and today I know exactly where you're posting from, I can dream of the upcoming cruise...lol) so we know what's going on. Ok, back to 'lurking'.

-Pattie

Archived