A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

thank u so much Krazy Kruizer that sure helps alot , so in connecting cabins everything still be there just like in non connecting cabins?, we will not miss out on anything in the cabin ?the build in desk ,shelfs is it located near by the door then?

thank u so much Krazy Kruizer that sure helps alot , so in connecting cabins everything still be there just like in non connecting cabins?, we will not miss out on anything in the cabin ?the build in desk ,shelfs is it located near by the door then?

In the connecting cabin that desk/built in table won't be there. No room for it.

But in front of the windows over looking the verandah there is another desk -- mu husband prefers that one when he does the daily puzzle -- nice view of the ocean or port, etc.

In the connecting cabin that desk/built in table won't be there. No room for it.

But in front of the windows over looking the verandah there is another desk -- mu husband prefers that one when he does the daily puzzle -- nice view of the ocean or port, etc.

thanks you very much that helped a lot with making a decision about booking connecting cabins , i was able to look into my pics form our old SA cabin we had on Noordam i see the shelf you were talking about, that is not a big deal since like u said the other desk is still there right in front of verandah plenty of place and space to put on items in that size cabin

Hi DBA, there is thread about breakfast in the pinnacle grill for suites. Question is why is the pinnacle grill unavailable to the suite guests for breakfast on the first two/three days of the cruise? Some say it is code red, but the pinnacle is open for dinner?

It was suggested that we ask you. Or perhaps you can take the concern to HAL. HAL states that eating in the pinnacle for breakfast is one of the perks for being a suite guest. And it is a very nice perk. Is there a way that they can change this back to the full cruise/ let passengers know in advance if this trend is going to continue? The thread is below, for your reference.

Hope you can enlighten us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1216152

Thanks so much as always for your tremendous help. Jacqui

Hey Jacqui,

Unfortunately I must decline to get involved in that thread. Due to the 'bashing' that is occurring in which numerous folks that are high level Mariners have decided to declare with no lack of definitiveness that we have cut staff (not true) and are false advertising (also not true) I, on a personal level have decided not to get involved in that thread. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

I noticed on our cruise last week that most of the people doing the 'handing out' of water etc had Pinnacle Grill uniforms on. Maybe with the way they have to serve everything they need the extra staff to help out and decided to borrow them from the Pinnacle, not leaving enough people to allow opening for breakfast? Just a theory. I am sure DBA will be able to confirm this.

Hi there, please see my reply to Kazu

...declare with no lack of definitiveness that we have cut staff (not true) ....

You've mentioned this before. However, on ships that have increased their passenger load, has the number of staff members been increased by the same %-age?

If not, then although not technically a staff decrease, it would be a decrease in effect.

Hi DBA...I like the new look on the blog,but am having trouble commenting, don't know if it's my computer or the site..I was asking re the Art placed in the Explorers lounge on the Nieuw Amsterdam: ...Will all cabin categories be able to see this stunning piece of art, or is the Explorer's lounge available to suite guests only?

Also are you allowed to take photos of this art work on the ship?

Cruisin Suzin

Hey Jacqui,

Unfortunately I must decline to get involved in that thread. Due to the 'bashing' that is occurring in which numerous folks that are high level Mariners have decided to declare with no lack of definitiveness that we have cut staff (not true) and are false advertising (also not true) I, on a personal level have decided not to get involved in that thread. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Understandable!:cool:

Hey Jacqui,

Sorry DBA, I wasn't trying to get you involved in the thread. I just hoped you could enlighten us and perhaps end the issue. I don't think most people on the thread are trying to bash HAL. They are just expressing their concern on a perk. They are big HAL fans from what I can see with a concern. Thanks just the same.

Hi DBA...I like the new look on the blog,but am having trouble commenting, don't know if it's my computer or the site..I was asking re the Art placed in the Explorers lounge on the Nieuw Amsterdam: ...Will all cabin categories be able to see this stunning piece of art, or is the Explorer's lounge available to suite guests only?

Also are you allowed to take photos of this art work on the ship?

Cruisin Suzin

Hi there.

For comments on my blog, click where it mentions the number of comments under the post you wish to comment on. That should take you to where you can make your comments.

Explorer's Lounge is open to all guests and especially if you're an art-buff, photos are encouraged

Sorry DBA, I wasn't trying to get you involved in the thread. I just hoped you could enlighten us and perhaps end the issue. I don't think most people on the thread are trying to bash HAL. They are just expressing their concern on a perk. They are big HAL fans from what I can see with a concern. Thanks just the same.

I understand that Jacqui. But there are numerous times in the past where some users (and I'm not gonna start raking mud and name names) will argue and tell me I'm wrong when I have some inside knowledge and the ability to provide clarity.

I have on this particular situation in the past and was promptly told by a number of high level cruisers that (in no uncertain terms) I was totally wrong.

To me, it's not worth it to get involved in any thread where people will post their thoughts/opinions/feelings, and no matter what anyone saying otherwise is totally wrong or talking out of places that don't have vocal chords.

I WILL say in this thread... I can assure you that staff levels have not been cut on the ships and that the precautions on the first few days are to help limit the spread of any sorts of gastro-intestinal illness that seem to be a little more present in the first days of a sailing.

What people would like to think, infer, etc from these procedures and whether they consider it beneficial, "BS" or an excuse for something else is entirely up to them.

You've mentioned this before. However, on ships that have increased their passenger load, has the number of staff members been increased by the same %-age?

If not, then although not technically a staff decrease, it would be a decrease in effect.

Understandable Ruth. Here's two photos that are just one example on the Veendam. The crew areas were also rearranged on the dry docks so many of the rooms used for staff/entertainment/etc cannot be seen on deck plans.

845777906_stillguestrooms-sclass.jpg.44d1759cd686f205b8959277a8269f42.jpg

75382361_newstaffroomsVEDM.jpg.f1fb4526e44ea0e6032503dcf35ae950.jpg

thanks DBA. I find that really sad, but I have seen this in this thread so I can understand where you are coming from. In any case, appreciate you taking the time to respond, and again, it wasn't my intention to involve you in the thread at all. Thanks to Copper John, we have decided it is best to look at this as a permanent thing and as long as you know what is happening, it is not a big deal. or if it is a big deal, then you can choose another stateroom. Jacqui

Understandable Ruth. Here's two photos that are just one example on the Veendam. The crew areas were also rearranged on the dry docks so many of the rooms used for staff/entertainment/etc cannot be seen on deck plans.

Thanks, but. That doesn't answer the question.

Was the staff/crew increased by the same percentage when passenger levels were increased?

To say that staff levels were not decreased is not the same as saying they were maintained at the former level.

Since you are a HAL employee I have an inquiry. Last Summer I was on the Volendam and the c.d. was Patty Honacki. Is she still with the Line and if so, what ship is she currently sailing on? Please Advise.

Himself

Since you are a HAL employee I have an inquiry. Last Summer I was on the Volendam and the c.d. was Patty Honacki. Is she still with the Line and if so, what ship is she currently sailing on? Please Advise.

Himself

Thought I read Veendam. Could be wrong.

Rich

Nope, you are 100% correct! Veendam is were one can find CD Honacki

John, do you happen to know if Capt. Mateboer will be on our Noordam B2B Nov. 12 ? If so do you think it would be OK to ask him to autograph his book "The Capt's Log" or will it be too intrusive?

I really enjoyed his book..

Thanks......:)Betty

John, do you happen to know if Capt. Mateboer will be on our Noordam B2B Nov. 12 ? If so do you think it would be OK to ask him to autograph his book "The Capt's Log" or will it be too intrusive?

I really enjoyed his book..

Thanks......:)Betty

Unless things change, looks like Capt. John Scott is scheduled during that time period as Noordam's Master, Betty, sorry. Good news is, you've got a reason to book another Noordam cruise in the future to have Capt. Mateboer sign your copy of his book!;)

:)

Unless things change, looks like Capt. John Scott is scheduled during that time period as Noordam's Master, Betty, sorry. Good news is, you've got a reason to book another Noordam cruise in the future to have Capt. Mateboer sign your copy of his book!;)

Thanks John, figured I should ask you before I carted the book along..We've sailed with Capt Scott on the Prinsendam... It will be nice to see him again..You are right on our next Noordam cruise I'll try to plan it for Capt. Mateboer..

Can't wait for our Noordam cruise..It should be fun sailing on a new ship..

Thnks again, & Goodnight....Betty.

i would love to know what is High tea service provides? we will be booking SA cabin and i would love to try to order High tea service is it just fancy cookies and tea and cakes served on verandah ? can anyone please tell me a bit more info about it:confused:

I took a look at the Fleet Fact Sheets, which I downloaded over time from HAL's website, and learned the following:

Veendam ... Jan 2007 - 1258 pax and 557 crew; Apr 2009 - 1350 pax and 580 crew; May 2010 - 1350 pax and 580 crew

Rotterdam ... Jan 2007 - 1316 pax and 593 crew; Apr 2009 - 1316 pax and 600 crew; May 2010 - 1404 pax and 600 crew

Prinsendam ... Jan 2007 - 793 pax and 428 crew; Apr 2009 - 793 pax and 470 crew; May 2010 - 835 pax and 470 crew

And on the Vista ships ... in Jan 2007 there were 1848 pax and 800 crew on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam and Westerdam and 1918 pax and 800 crew on the Noordam. As of May 2010, 1916 pax and 817 crew on the Z, O and W and 1918 pax and 820 crew on the N.

Archived