A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

We will be in Santorini on Sept 13 of this year.Can you tell me how they release passangers to get on the tender boats? We have set up a non HAL tour and just aren't sure if the HAL tour groups get off first. There are several people in SA and Sc suites who get priority tendering.Can the others in the group get off with them even if they aren't in this type of cabin? Thanks so much for all the help to everyone on CC. Sara

p.s. We are on the Noordam.

Might recommend you ask once onboard or maybe see if Shore Excursions can provide additional assistance. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the process in Greece or for specific ports so they might be able to better answer.

You might also let DBA know where your tour starts. If your tour starts in Thira and your guide is meeting you at the top of the cable car, you will not have to content with any tour groups. All the tour groups get off at Athinios as it is a low part of Santorini and the bus can pick up the passengers on tour. Then the Captain moves the ship to a point off Thira. The tenders then take all passengers not on a tour. You have 3 ways to make it to the top---donkeys, walking and cable car/funicular. My husband and I have been to Santorini three times, the latest was this spring. Have a great time. Santorini is one of our favorite islands.

Thank you for this info.Were there a lot of people on the non HAL tenders? We don't want to be late for our tour. Glad to hear that you really like Santorini.I am very excited as this will be my first time there.:DThanks again Sara

Thank you for this info.Were there a lot of people on the non HAL tenders? We don't want to be late for our tour. Glad to hear that you really like Santorini.I am very excited as this will be my first time there.:DThanks again Sara

If your plan is to meet your guide at the top, give yourself a little buffer space, time wise. I didn't sail Hal when I did this trip, but the cable cars can only hold so many each trip up, so unless you have some kind of priority, it might cause you a bit of stress if you try too early. The line improves quickly, once people get off the ship and get moving. It's a wonderful stop, you will be in awe of it's beauty, and it's views!

If your plan is to meet your guide at the top, give yourself a little buffer space, time wise. I didn't sail Hal when I did this trip, but the cable cars can only hold so many each trip up, so unless you have some kind of priority, it might cause you a bit of stress if you try too early. The line improves quickly, once people get off the ship and get moving. It's a wonderful stop, you will be in awe of it's beauty, and it's views!

You are correct about allowing time to get both up and down. When we were last in Santorini, Costa passengers were lined up for blocks to get the cable car down. Rumor was they were famous for waiting until the last minute to board the ship.

Also, I must correct my previous message about the tenders. When in Greece, HAL does NOT use their tenders. HAL has to use Greek boats as tenders. The good news is that the boats are bigger than the tenders so it doesn't take long to get people on the shore.

We'll be sailing the Nieuw Amsterdam 32 night Med-Trans Atlantic.

We board the ship on October 6 but don't depart till the next afternoon.

Do you know what time we'd be allowed to board the ship? On previus cruises, boarding started about 11:30 or 12 Noon the latest and I'm hoping it's the same.

Thank you!

Could you explain why HAL make Australians book all cruise via Australian agent at inflated prices .

We pay up to 25% more then if we could book on the net with US agents.

Are HAL just manipulating the market or just ripping off Aussie Cruise Critics and other passengers!!!!!!

:mad:

Auusie

Hi Auusie

It might have nothing to do with HAL, as I'm a Canadian now living in NZ, and when a group of us went to book a cruise with Hal, (with my sister who lives in the US and is a travel agent) we discovered it was a law in NZ that NZ's have to book travel thru a NZ travel agent. This was even though we were boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam in Europe.

As a result HAL couldn't take our reservation. Such a disappointment, but at least we could book at the rate given in HAL Cruise book, and in US dollars. Even so, we had to pay in NZ$ that was then converted to US$ for the payments to be sent onto HAL. So we still lose out on the conversion.

That doesn't mean I accept this, I'm still trying to find a way around all this BS so I can book a cruise to Alaska next year, sailing out of Canada, since I'll be there visiting anyway with my NZ partner. If I find out some answers I'll let you know.

Hi Auusie

It might have nothing to do with HAL, as I'm a Canadian now living in NZ, and when a group of us went to book a cruise with Hal, (with my sister who lives in the US and is a travel agent) we discovered it was a law in NZ that NZ's have to book travel thru a NZ travel agent. This was even though we were boarding the Nieuw Amsterdam in Europe.

As a result HAL couldn't take our reservation. Such a disappointment, but at least we could book at the rate given in HAL Cruise book, and in US dollars. Even so, we had to pay in NZ$ that was then converted to US$ for the payments to be sent onto HAL. So we still lose out on the conversion.

That doesn't mean I accept this, I'm still trying to find a way around all this BS so I can book a cruise to Alaska next year, sailing out of Canada, since I'll be there visiting anyway with my NZ partner. If I find out some answers I'll let you know.

Can your sister pay, and you pay her back?

Do you know what time we'd be allowed to board the ship? On previus cruises, boarding started about 11:30 or 12 Noon the latest and I'm hoping it's the same.

Thank you!

I'm not DBA but ....Last year when we did this trip, Hal began embarkation at 11:30 a.m. Rooms were available around 1 pm.

You are correct about allowing time to get both up and down. When we were last in Santorini, Costa passengers were lined up for blocks to get the cable car down. Rumor was they were famous for waiting until the last minute to board the ship.

Also, I must correct my previous message about the tenders. When in Greece, HAL does NOT use their tenders. HAL has to use Greek boats as tenders. The good news is that the boats are bigger than the tenders so it doesn't take long to get people on the shore.

Thank you for this update about the tenders. We will just add a little time to meet our tour guide.

Thanks Jacqui, that's the time I'm hoping for. We want to get on board as early as possible so we can have another full day and evening in Venice.

I was hoping there wouldn't be a different boarding time due to the ship being in port overnight.

Gloria

We want to get on board as early as possible so we can have another full day and evening in Venice.

I was hoping there wouldn't be a different boarding time due to the ship being in port overnight.

It really depends on when all the prior cruise passengers (US!!) get off on the 6th ... which depends on what time the ship gets cleared. If nothing goes awry, we'll be off by 10:00ish, and you can board around 11:00 - 11:30.

Hi Auusie

It might have nothing to do with HAL, as I'm a Canadian now living in NZ, and when a group of us went to book a cruise with Hal, (with my sister who lives in the US and is a travel agent) we discovered it was a law in NZ that NZ's have to book travel thru a NZ travel agent. .

Hi, I live in NZ and I think that 'rule' was made up by an NZ travel agent!! I have not heard of this at all and am pretty sure there is no such law. You are not covered by the NZ consumer law if you book with companies based overseas though and it might be a slant on that. I don't need to use a travel agent, and book online or direct via email.

With cruises though it is a bit different. There is a rule made by the cruise company themselves, that only USA residents can book on the internet with American travel agencies that sell cruises. It's a shame cause we can't get access to all the goodies and discounts offered. I think our friends in the UK have the same problem. It's the cruise companies protecting their regional markets and having different pricing policies - and it is not restricted to cruise companies, Sony etc do this as well.

Not all cruise companies have this US resident rule though but I know HAL does. You can book on the HAL website directly by accepting their terms and conditions, even though you are a NZ resident. This may be new, I am not sure. Have fun on your cruise!

Could you explain why HAL make Australians book all cruise via Australian agent at inflated prices .

We pay up to 25% more then if we could book on the net with US agents.

Are HAL just manipulating the market or just ripping off Aussie Cruise Critics and other passengers!!!!!!

Auusie

There is not any law in Australia or New Zealand re the bookings but HAL are manipulating the prices and treating AUSSIE and KIWI clients very poorly.

HAL do not include us in any real sales and promotions so we pay up to 25% more then US clients .

Hi aussie,

Know exactly how you feel - It isn't just HAL. We just booked 3 cruises, with Princess, almost b2b, totalling 77 nights, and imagine our joy (NOT!) when our TA, but didn't offer one single cent for OBC. TA spoke to Aussie Princess Rep who said cruises are not b2b persae (a couple of weeks between first and second cruise) and also denied any form of credit. We are paying a lot of money for these cruises (minis in all 3) and that was a real slap in the face. Needless to say, I will be searching for another TA!!

But wait theres more !!!! - after checking US sites, we discovered we could have saved $3,500 on 1 cruise, same cabin etc, so how much extra have we paid for the 3 cruises???

It is an extremely contentious issue and one that our Kiwi and UK mates also have to endure!

Anyway, am still looking forward to our cruises!!

Hi aussie,

Know exactly how you feel - It isn't just HAL. We just booked 3 cruises, with Princess, almost b2b, totalling 77 nights, and imagine our joy (NOT!) when our TA, but didn't offer one single cent for OBC. TA spoke to Aussie Princess Rep who said cruises are not b2b persae (a couple of weeks between first and second cruise) and also denied any form of credit. We are paying a lot of money for these cruises (minis in all 3) and that was a real slap in the face. Needless to say, I will be searching for another TA!!

But wait theres more !!!! - after checking US sites, we discovered we could have saved $3,500 on 1 cruise, same cabin etc, so how much extra have we paid for the 3 cruises???

It is an extremely contentious issue and one that our Kiwi and UK mates also have to endure!

Anyway, am still looking forward to our cruises!!

What me so mad is HAL use a conversation rate of 60 cents to the $ when it is 88 to 93 and as you say if you have long cruises it costs you thousands for the same cabin which you could buy for the correct price from HAL in the USA before they stated to rip us all off.

DBA, I saw this Alaska review on the "O" (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1263771) and it said,

One night the PG menu was completely different. It was called Le Cirque, based on a French restaurant in New York. I’m surprised there haven’t been threads about this yet. We enjoyed the meal, although the cover fee jumped to $35 that night.

Is this French menu new? Sorry but I've never eaten in the Pinnacle Grill (but I will this trip ;)). Will this still be on the "O" on the Mexican Riviera itineraries? Do you know which night?

Thanks for all you do!

Thanks John, maybe you can guide your fellow passengers off quickly so we can board, would appreciate it. ;)

I'm hoping for early embarkation since we have some mid-afternoon reservations. Although we can leave our luggage at our hotel after we check out and pick it up later, I'd rather get checked in on the ship and then have a relaxing day ahead.

Have a great cruise and enjoy this beautiful new ship.

DBA, I am hoping you can help with this. We are taking a HAL cruise and my parents are concerned that they can't reach me in case of a health emergency. They are elderly and will not have or use a credit card or debit card so they cannot use the emergency number posted. I have contacted that company and their response is "no plastic, no call." None of their friends use plastic either and there is no other family close.

Do you have a solution? If they called the HAL number and gave them our name/ship/cabin info would that work?

DBA, I saw this Alaska review on the "O" (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1263771) and it said,

Is this French menu new? Sorry but I've never eaten in the Pinnacle Grill (but I will this trip ;)). Will this still be on the "O" on the Mexican Riviera itineraries? Do you know which night?

Thanks for all you do!

Hey there:

I just posted about this last weekend. Here's what I know about it at this time:

http://www.dutchbyassociation.com/2010/08/le-cirque.html

DBA, I am hoping you can help with this. We are taking a HAL cruise and my parents are concerned that they can't reach me in case of a health emergency. They are elderly and will not have or use a credit card or debit card so they cannot use the emergency number posted. I have contacted that company and their response is "no plastic, no call." None of their friends use plastic either and there is no other family close.

Do you have a solution? If they called the HAL number and gave them our name/ship/cabin info would that work?

There are two other options:

There are international numbers which if they are calling from the US would start with "001" They would need to make sure they have the ability for making int'l calls turned on with their phone company and would want to make sure they understand the rates involved based on the phone carrier/plan they have.

Also, if it's an EMERGENCY message, they can call Guest Relations (800-599-8256) and ask the representative if they can pass along a message to the ship. I would imagine at a minimum they'll want to provide the ship, room number and names... booking number would probably help even more... and a message can be sent urgent to the ship with the request it be delivered as quickly as possible.

For more details on the int'l numbers, would recommend you call HAL as I don't keep them handy. here at home.

RE: international marketing/pricing:

I don't have enough information about some of these policies to be able to comment. Would recommend you share your concerns with the local agencies you can book through and ask that they share your thoughts with their sales reps back at the headquarters.

Thanks for all you do!

I read that in the review -- missed it the first time -- WOW -- I would to see this offered on the other ships!!

Not DBA but why not give them your card info to use an emergency?

Archived